WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2024

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,854 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Today’s gratitude: the Katla project. Scrolling through all the profile pics, the love just shines out, warms my heart and lifts my spirits. Think I’ll keep a copy on my desktop for when I need a boost… or pip’s boot! Thank you ALL for participating.
    Kim you’re in too!
    Machka I get mad whenever you tell us about the back-to-work person. Please tell me she’s totally out of your lives now? Lord have mercy on her other “clielnts”.
    Heather That much pain just doesn’t sound right. ((hugs)) While you know your own body best, hoping a prompt, real, professional examination elicits a helpful diagnosis. Do you have an appointment? Edie and Max really shot up quickly! Like your first and second steps, hope that helps you sleep.
    Likewise Annie, good for you for preparing for the future, whatever it will bring.
    Michele re: Katla will do. Glad the leg finally stopped oozing. Safe travels!
    Lanette sometimes a song just catches me, brings a tear. That In the Shallows clip was one. Like you now I’ll keep an eye out for “A Star is Born”
    Rebecca cilantro, ugh. Might as well grate up some Irish Spring. The Sorfrito I had tasted more of garlic, red pepper, dried tomato. Label says there’s also parsley, rosemary and sage. No cilantro :noway:
    Just skimmin’ back later.
    Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    March: Move more than yesterday, fuel better than yesterday, live NOW.
    Open heart and mind before mouth.

Oh a fellow cilantro despiser.....💖👍🏼 its definitely as bright green as Irish Spring huh? Easy to spot the offensively leaved suckers! I do like to mix jars of bruschetta, the olive and sun dried tomato ones! Then adding garlic and sauted onion. I add it to soups, put on sandwiches, not just on toasted bread with a slice of cheese.
    I sang your label...parsley, rosemary and saaaaage, in my head.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

I love cilentro- plan on planting it again this year but need to remember to plant it late so it is ready when my tomatoes are. I like to add it to my pico de gallo , salsa, sandwiches, pho, bahn mi sandwiches have to have it along with the pickled carrots.
    Mom and I both like cilentro and basil. Dad didnt/dh doesn't like either. I will be planting a lot of basil too to make pesto

I think Cilantro is an herb that if you didn't grow up with it, in foods and such, its just something you can't immediately take to, you know? My Mom was a Betty Crocker clone and didn't use cilantro in anything. I love pesto! Happy growing!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

My family travelled to the southern US (New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, etc) a lot and we ate a lot of US "Mexican" food that likely had Cilantro ... so I likely grew up with it.

M in Oz
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,944 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Margaret- thank you- I will keep pushing mom(gently) to get the call made for the appointment-either in person or on the phone.
    I need to find a way to get all her info for when the time comes- I have no idea any of her accounts/passwords/etc

Debbie ... it will take a very pointed conversation to get all of her information. Are you her only child? If so, you need to become her POA or if you have siblings, that decision needs to be made. It requires an attorney to draw up the papers and best to do while your mom is mentally sound. If it were me, I would visit your mom on a day you can call Social Security together. Be present with her so you can speak for her if necessary (she will have to give permission). And find out what her local office number for SSA is ... the main line takes an eternity to get through.

Beth

Thank you!!

I have two sisters. I am sure mom has picked me over the other two.
    She has had her will revised after dad passed away. I know for sure she did it because I got a letter from her lawyer but I don't know what it says exactly.
    When I took her for ear surgery, they asked about POA or at least I think that is what they were referring to and she said I did .
    I just need to get that information for sure, so I know. I have a few nephews that are trying to worm their way in. Neither of them are living in state and don't really have their act together financially to keep the property the way mom wants
    I will stay an extra day to be there on a Monday to have her call or just take her down to the office, even if it is to just go down to make an appointment.
    It will have to be on another visit. Right now I am trying to balance time with her but also time at home if dh has another blow up with his mom. There will be one on Monday because he is going away for the weekend to do another comic-con.(I can't be up at mom's if he is about to have a melt down again)

Debbie
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,944 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    [quote="

I think Cilantro is an herb that if you didn't grow up with it, in foods and such, its just something you can't immediately take to, you know? My Mom was a Betty Crocker clone and didn't use cilantro in anything. I love pesto! Happy growing!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

My family travelled to the southern US (New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, etc) a lot and we ate a lot of US "Mexican" food that likely had Cilantro ... so I likely grew up with it.

M in Oz [/quote]

I never had it, other than in Pico de Gallo maybe but didn't know what it was. Didn't eat out very often growing up and had never heard of it until more recently.

Only herbs I remember mom cooking with were basic- rosemary, thyme, sage, oregeno and garlic. Nothing else. Maybe a little chili powder but that was rare.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,200 Member
    Options
    I remember the first night I arrived in Mexico City. I went out for a wander around the cathedral area and decided to have some soup in a café. I sat up at the counter and had no idea what I was ordering. (1993) There was some strange unidentifiable taste in it that I had never had before. I thought it was amazing, and seemed to me to exemplify this wonderful place I had arrived in. I now know that flavour was cilantro, and for me, it will always mean Mexico.
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,536 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 5min 56sec, 101elev, 2.87ap, 85ahr, 106mhr, 6.09mi= 598c
    Strava app= 747c
    Zwift home spin bike- strava stats- 1hr 29min 5sec, 686elev, 104aw, 17.9amph, 47arpm, gear35, 26.64mi= 519c
    Strava app= 532c
    Zwift stats- 1hr 29min 6sec, 687elev, 104aw, 46arpm, 17.98amph, 26.7mi= 532c

Total cal 1117
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    My dad told the library he wanted to donate MY books! At least he didn't take them over. He is so frustrating. We have had this conversation at least three times before. And he was late for dinner.

Annie in Delaware
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Rebecca - such wonderful photos. I am so happy for you and Lee, having your boys back for a little while. It did everyone good, didn't it?

Lisa - you are getting me excited to mow! Weatherman says end of next week we'll have a few dry days, temps near 70. If it wasn't so chilly out right now I'd be tempted to get the weed eater going. Good article, by the way. Thanks for the link.

Betsy - sorry the taxman came after you. I was kind of sweating last year's taxes as a "single", luckily made it OK. This year I have to take a small RMD and might just throw most of it into withholding. I'm like Barbara, I probably over-withhold but at least it's there and I'm not tempted to dip into it for something I really don't need.

Tracey - sorry I forgot to mention - what great luck getting in with that doctor. What a relief to have someone who will get to know you as a person and keep on top of things before they get to ER stage. Hope the meet n greet goes well.

My own visit with Dr. Paul this morning was great. He went over Dr. D's notes and lab order, did his own exam of my foot which was OK, hardly any swelling, and my finger joints. He said "we'll run MY labs. Ignore Dr. D's. You don't have RA!" I can't remember everything he ordered, I think the sed rate for arthritis and threw in kidney (creatinine) and thyroid. And A1C - I have high fasting morning glucose, we wanted to see if my walking after meals has helped.

I wonder if they test kidney function a lot in case we need to be on certain meds that are hard on kidneys - better to know ahead of time?

He also said keep walking with weights as much as I want. Let pain be my guide. My appointment was for 11. I arrived there at 10:40, waited a couple minutes in the waiting room, then nurse Kellie came and got me, put me in an exam room. Dr. Paul was in there in two minutes, we had a good chat and the foot & finger exam, then I got the blood draw and was out of there by 11:10. :p

Kellie told me Dr. D at the Ortho clinic often sees FIFTY patients a day. :# And he is the community foot and ankle surgeon. Everyone is crossing fingers he doesn't burn out early. He's in his early 50's.

That's the update. Think I need a quick nap. :p

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

The leave both sailor sons took literally mended our family's mental health most definitely. I think it surprised my sailors how many family members reached out and came to the "family pizza night" event. They are an important piece of the complete family puzzle. I think my youngest learned its just easier to reach out every week or so, then of course wait years. There's no insertion of guilt that way. I tried to not make him feel guilty, but when he saw on the family email that I was taking anti depression meds, he knew he had to call home. I am off them since the holidays, and its nice to think upon youngest son with a warm and fuzzy feeling, not panic or worry. He actually called this past Monday so the behavior of active correspondence with family continues.💖😁⚓👍🏼
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,076 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,694 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies
    Went to see my little guy and got some cuddles..but gee he sure is a boy and he is rough..so between the walking all over Costco,and playing with Miles im sore lol
    Tomorrow is Drs appointment.
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for the comments on your ovens/ranges. I'm not sure if I'm excited about a new one or scared it's going to need constant fixing!

The mister bought a brand new pair of not cheap shoes last week, wore them once and the sole came off. It's a reputable company, so they just shipped him a new pair, but that is really unacceptable.

Tina in CA
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Almost forgot-texted Kylia-haven't heard back-but she goes in spells where she is busy with family in evenings. Plus their business will be gearing up for spring.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,200 Member
    Options
    I'm trying out a new hairdresser on Friday. It's almost directly opposite my old one and is a little run down, but is £10 cheaper for the wet cut that I have. It's the owner that's going to cut it.
    My lovely cutter left my other hairdresser, and I was not impressed with the replacement. She did a good enough job, but her chatting skills were dim. I also don't like the high pressure sales they go in for, and the endless emails.
    So, we shall see if this other one is any good. I only need a holding trim, to keep me going until just before we go away.
    I'm a reluctant changer, but my cutter leaving makes it easier.
    Why are hairdresser prices so outrageous?

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Did an Intense Burn DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Patrick Godeau DVD.

I thought I’d have so many things I needed to do today, but the guy about the bathroom called to say he isn’t feeling well and is going to the MD. Then the gal who I was going to play mahjong with said that she was just called into work (she volunteers at the Elks) so we can only play for an hour. Boo but I understand

Evelyn – in a sense it’s good that the check engine light was blinking and not staying on all the time. That happened to my daughter’s car and by the time Pete pulled over, the engine had blown

Went to lunch with the gals from here. Personally, I wasn’t impressed with this place. Just had a spinach salad (dressing on the side) and water to drink I don’t think I’d go back there. I did have a small slice of this one lady’s pizza since her crust was gluten free and I wondered how that was. It really wasn’t any different from a regular pizza. Then we played mahjongg for about an hour since the other gal had to go do her volunteering. So I went out by the pool. Now have a load of laundry in and after dinner we’ll probably go to WalMart

For anyone- does anyone know of a way to get rid of a callous short of going to a MD? I have one on the bottom of my foot (caused by my tight calve) and it’s really more of a PITA than anything else.

Mel – welcome. Come back often, we’re always here any time of day or night someone’s online

Allie – are you planning to watch the twins after they are born?

Betsy – I hear ya about the tax issue. Sorry this happened to you. The first year I was working at BK I didn’t make enough for them to take out taxes. Boy, was it a shock when we went to do our taxes that year. It probably would have helped if I’d looked at a pay statement before I got my W-2. Sounds like you had a great visit with the MD

After dinner went to Merritt Island and picked up some bisque we’d ordered. Then stopped in Ollies then went to WalMart for a few things

Michele too soon back in NC
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,854 Member
    Options
    Rebecca - such wonderful photos. I am so happy for you and Lee, having your boys back for a little while. It did everyone good, didn't it?

Lisa - you are getting me excited to mow! Weatherman says end of next week we'll have a few dry days, temps near 70. If it wasn't so chilly out right now I'd be tempted to get the weed eater going. Good article, by the way. Thanks for the link.

Betsy - sorry the taxman came after you. I was kind of sweating last year's taxes as a "single", luckily made it OK. This year I have to take a small RMD and might just throw most of it into withholding. I'm like Barbara, I probably over-withhold but at least it's there and I'm not tempted to dip into it for something I really don't need.

Tracey - sorry I forgot to mention - what great luck getting in with that doctor. What a relief to have someone who will get to know you as a person and keep on top of things before they get to ER stage. Hope the meet n greet goes well.

My own visit with Dr. Paul this morning was great. He went over Dr. D's notes and lab order, did his own exam of my foot which was OK, hardly any swelling, and my finger joints. He said "we'll run MY labs. Ignore Dr. D's. You don't have RA!" I can't remember everything he ordered, I think the sed rate for arthritis and threw in kidney (creatinine) and thyroid. And A1C - I have high fasting morning glucose, we wanted to see if my walking after meals has helped.

I wonder if they test kidney function a lot in case we need to be on certain meds that are hard on kidneys - better to know ahead of time?

He also said keep walking with weights as much as I want. Let pain be my guide. My appointment was for 11. I arrived there at 10:40, waited a couple minutes in the waiting room, then nurse Kellie came and got me, put me in an exam room. Dr. Paul was in there in two minutes, we had a good chat and the foot & finger exam, then I got the blood draw and was out of there by 11:10. :p

Kellie told me Dr. D at the Ortho clinic often sees FIFTY patients a day. :# And he is the community foot and ankle surgeon. Everyone is crossing fingers he doesn't burn out early. He's in his early 50's.

That's the update. Think I need a quick nap. :p

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

One of the signs of defective kidneys is swollen feet and ankles. It's a toss up with me whether my swollen feet and ankles is because of my kidneys or because of venous insufficiency caused by DVT.

M in Oz