WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2024

Options

Replies

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,385 Member
    Options
    April - Well done on the weight loss, the size lost, and the walking! Every minute you add is a triumph.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,206 Member
    edited March 9
    Options
    Machka - MANY HAPPY RETURNS for your birthdays! :p

For her 75th birthday, my friend G , who lives alone, took herself off on a trip to Cornwall, stopping on the way in Devon. She went to two lovely hotels with beach views, and treated herself to a window table at a famous beach seafood restaurant for her birthday dinner. She sent photos as she was sitting there. She said it was so beautiful she could hardly believe it was real. :D That's the way to treat yourself on your birthday.

I am looking forward to going to the sports injury clinic. They treat the Olympic team and champions. I didn’t want to go there until I'd ruled out the obvious culprits. The problem is not the availability of practioners, it is that I have personal and political objections to paying for private treatment. We have a health service which is being run into the ground and is not fit for purpose. I should be able to get free physio treatment but the waiting list is a year long. In my state of pain, I consider that 'cruel and unusual punishment ', in other words, 'torture '.
    I also have an extremely low income. I don't earn nearly enough to pay tax. Therefore, if something major needs to be done, I need to cancel the cruises to pay for it. The cruise costs come out of deep savings, which I can only access once a year. They are nearly exhausted. That's why I need the results quickly. I will need a medical certificate to get our money back.
    I still may decide that I can't go because of the mobility issues. I still need the doctor's backing.
    In the past, 20 years ago, I went to a chiropractor for the same issue, and he was useless. He had no idea what the problem was as I sat crying on his table. He also did acupuncture, which dulled things a bit.
    Maybe things have moved on! The only time in the past when I got any real help was from a sports clinic, about my knee. She cured me. Something that hospitals had missed over 40 years, despite X-rays, arthrograms etc.
    So, I have faith, and hope!
    Meanwhile, I am doing some simple exercises from a sensible physio on YouTube. Nothing to scare the horses. So far, so good!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    Machka - MANY HAPPY RETURNS for your birthdays! :p

For her 75th birthday, my friend G , who lives alone, took herself off on a trip to Cornwall, stopping on the way in Devon. She went to two lovely hotels with beach views, and treated herself to a window table at a famous beach seafood restaurant for her birthday dinner. She sent photos as she was sitting there. She said it was so beautiful she could hardly believe it was real. :D That's the way to treat yourself on your birthday.

I am looking forward to going to the sports injury clinic. They treat the Olympic team and champions. I didn’t want to go there until I'd ruled out the obvious culprits. The problem is not the availability of practioners, it is that I have personal and political objections to paying for private treatment. We have a health service which is being run into the ground and is not fit for purpose. I should be able to get free physio treatment but the waiting list is a year long. In my state of pain, I consider that 'cruel and unusual punishment ', in other words, 'torture '.
    I also have an extremely low income. I don't earn nearly enough to pay tax. Therefore, if something major needs to be done, I need to cancel the cruises to pay for it. The cruise costs come out of deep savings, which I can only access once a year. They are nearly exhausted. That's why I need the results quickly. I will need a medical certificate to get our money back.
    I still may decide that I can't go because of the mobility issues. I still need the doctor's backing.
    In the past, 20 years ago, I went to a chiropractor for the same issue, and he was useless. He had no idea what the problem was as I sat crying on his table. He also did acupuncture, which dulled things a bit.
    Maybe things have moved on! The only time in the past when I got any real help was from a sports clinic, about my knee. She cured me. Something that hospitals had missed over 40 years, despite X-rays, arthrograms etc.
    So, I have faith, and hope!
    Meanwhile, I am doing some simple exercises from a sensible physio on YouTube. Nothing to scare the horses. So far, so good!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

There's nothing wrong with going private. We have private health care ... I put myself on public waiting lists and if I get tired of the wait, I go private.

With my deviated septum situation, I didn't realise how bad it was, so I opted to stay on the ENT waiting list for 5 years. Finally I saw someone who told me it was pretty bad but unfortunately, I would be on another waiting list for a year or two more if I stayed public. I switched to private and got it done a few month later, right in the middle of the first COVID flare up.

Chiropractors vary widely. I tend to prefer those who work in sports medicine, treat sports teams, etc.

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,206 Member
    edited March 9
    Options
    Machka - Political
    I have had a lifelong objection to private medicine. I don't support private education either. It truly hurts my principles to go private. Unfortunately, our government has an agenda of screwing the public sector, Including elderly care, children's services etc. It is broken. So..... I refuse to be a victim of political ideology and will take myself to a private clinic. I'm still waiting for the X-ray results though, to determine whether I need operations. I hope not.

Today has not been a good day for pain so far. :# Did strip Edie 's bed though. John will make it.

Waitrose delivery this morning. Plus new T shirts. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

I received my next book 100 Days of Weight Loss by Linda Spangle. The beginning is standard, write down ten reasons why I want to lose weight, and such. I have a notebook ready to go.

But I can feel my mind already getting evasive. For me, family comes before weight loss. But normally there's no conflict. And of course sensible eating is better than weight loss at any
    cost. Excuses are popping up.

Anyway, today I start with the journaling. That should be fun.

It's going to rain. And I have to go to the drug store. Maybe soup for dinner.

April hugs for you and your son.

Heather hope you find answers soon!

Have a marvelous day my friends!

Annie in Delaware

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,336 Member
    Options
    Heather - happy for you getting the appointment so quickly. I have a good feeling they'll be able to shed some light on this for you.

Vicki- very glad you've been able to adjust your schedule to 4 days per week unless there are extenuating circumstances. I understand you needing the job for the insurance to make sure your DH is covered. We went through similar when my DH was diagnosed with RA 30 years ago, there was a period of time neither of us had coverage through an employer back then and we ate through savings quickly getting private insurance for him. His premiums were sky-high. :(

Sue in WA - glad your lawyer has given her the ultimatum. If she doesn't comply, what's the next step? Sending a guardian angel to your house this weekend to oversee everything. o:)

April - good job getting that walking in. Starting slow and building up is a good way to go about it. Sending heaps of good thoughts your way for your upcoming heart test. Glad to hear you are getting some response from your son. Machka has such a good handle on recovery from brain injury from her DH's experience. I keep thinking we are all here on this thread for a reason. ;) .

Don't forget about Daylight Savings Time coming up early tomorrow morning for most of us. :p

focubm06gzc0.png

Back later-

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,050 Member
    Options
    M Happy Birthday :flowerforyou:
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,540 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday to all!