STARS 9 WEEK HOLIDAY CHALLENGE (CLOSED GROUP)

Options

Replies

• prizmaa
    prizmaa Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    09/28-2011 QOTD, Wednesday: Have you resolved any emotional issues connected to your weight? And What's the biggest one you have over come, if any?

I am in the process of working on resolving the emotional issues connected to my weight. I'm still not quite sure yet what they all are, but I know that I have them.
    I know one thing is that I think I had behind the fat. I use it as a crutch. For example, if someone doesn't like me or I don't get hired for a job or something like that, I can always blame it on my fat. Once I don't have the fat to hide behind anymore, then what? It's my excuse and it's what I've become uncomfortably comfortable with.
  • RhondaLeeRoss
    Options
    Just trying to figure out how to add my ticker....

10012874.png Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • sboo
    sboo Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    09/28-2011 QOTD, Wednesday: Have you resolved any emotional issues connected to your weight? And What's the biggest one you have over come, if any?

I don't know if I resolved my emotional issues about weight, but I am becoming more aware they are there. I did not think I was an emotional eater, but a couple of months ago, I found myself, alone with a medium pizza, hot wings, cheesy bread, and a litter of soda. I was upset this day. I didn't want to cook or do anything. So, I popped in a movie, and ordered all my favorites from Dominos.You ask, did I manage to eat it all? Yes. I was a Piggy, and yes I felt better. But, I became aware of this issue that day, and know I just get one of those lovely things and not all of them. It's still work in progress.
  • Eatone1
    Eatone1 Posts: 105 Member
    Options

I've had many ups and downs with my weight. The biggest emotional *issue* that is connected to my weight is fear. My mother and aunt have battled obesity their whole lives. My mother had the gastric bypass 20 years ago when it was a barbaric procedure and she has dealt with issues from that ever since. She originally lost around 100 pounds and ended up putting all of it back on over time. She has been on every diet imaginable and to this day struggles with depression. My biggest fear is struggling with that same depression and being obese. Also, my aunt is obese and was just diagnosed with adult onset diabetes about 3 years ago. I've seen the tears, the depression, and the physical pain that is involved in obesity and I'm terrified of that happening to me. So....I'm trying to change my family tree. I'm trying to be fit and healthy.....so my children one day don't fear being like their mother. :frown: : (This was kind of hard for me to think/write about)
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

I don't know, I do use food as a cheer up mechanism and I don't think there's anything wrong with that per se as long as you do it in a limited healthy way. Meaning "gosh a cookie would make me feel so happy right now" is fine as long as its not a cookie EVERY day, or a huge pile of cookies, or ....you get the idea.

In some ways I think I am a better person for having been really overweight - I interact better with others than I did before maybe. Could jsut be age/maturity related though.

But I'm glad to be done with it and I don't plan to be back.
  • Gazer362
    Gazer362 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Unfortunately the issue isn't resolved for me yet. I am a major emotional eater - bored, happy, tired, etc. I'm working hard on this issue. Counting calories every day helps me keep it under control though. I build in a small night "treat" daily and being able to look forward to that helps me stay out of the pantry during the day. Keeping my fingers crossed that this new routine will become a habit over time and I won't automatically head to the pantry to deal with every emotion I'm experiencing.
  • tessacope2
    Options

I think that if I had resolved my emotional issues with my weight, then I wouldn't be looking for a support group like this one! I don't know that is will ever be completely resolved. But I can work on identifying the behavior and controlling it. Food is a powerful thing. We use it for reward, recognition, celebrations, etc. So many emotions are related to food. Tonight I hosted a chocolate and champagne tasting for customers. Everyone loved it...everyone felt happy and excited...and I bet everyone is at home right now wishing they would have eaten less, drank less, just said no to the second glass/plate....I know I am. At the time, it seems okay. And then after indulging, you feel guilty, sad, discouraged. How do we change the relationship with food? Hopefully we will figure it out over the next 9 weeks and beyond!
  • jnell82
    jnell82 Posts: 136
    Options

Yes and no, and I am still working on this issue. Although I love to blame my 60 extra pounds on carrying two children, the reality is I was depressed for many many years and comforted myself with food. As I said in an earlier question, I have realized that I am an emotional eater. When I feel down, there is never enought food. It doesn't even matter if I'm, hunger, I will eat! I have been working on my depressioln for a few years and seem to have iit pretty well inder control, even though I still will sometimes get in a funk for a couple weeks. It helps being out of the situation that caused my depression in the first place, but the internal affects last a lot longer that the exterior ones do. I caught myself beginning a slump a few weeks ago, and through watching my diet and beginning to work out, I am pretty sure I have diverted it! So here is to overcoming my emotional issues and being a happy, skinny, me again!!!!
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 922 Member
    Options

Sadly they aren't resolved. Growing up we had no money, and many days we went hungry. There simply was no food, sometimes for weeks at a time. My Mom was too proud to get any kind of help, so if my brother and I couldn't get food from friends or calling my Grandma we didn't get to eat. Because of that I never really learned how to eat. I just shove food into my mouth as fast as possible (I assume on some level it is because I am worried I won't eat again or that somehow the food will be taken away) and am always the first one done eating no matter who I am eating with other than my brother! I also have this weird feeling of entitlement when it comes to food, which I am sure stems from my childhood. I feel like I deserve to eat anything I want, whenever I want because I didn't get to eat much growing up. On a rational level I understand this is silly, but we all know that food issues aren't rational.

I am working on it. :smile:
  • luvmybee
    luvmybee Posts: 58 Member
    Options

Like all of you, I emotionally eat, and that is why I am fat. When I lost my 50 pounds a few years ago, I did overcome most of the emotional issues which caused me to gain weight. I used food when I was depressed, sad, and especially anxious. I finally learned to just "sit with the bad feelings" and feel them. That's what I did, and that is how I was able to lose a lot of weight. Then I miscarried and got pregnant again with a terrifying pregnancy in which I had to go on bedrest where I gained an immense amount of weight. I had a one pound baby and it has been very hard and I feel anxious a lot. So I have turned to food again. So, I think that I am going to have to go back to just "sitting with it" and just feel the feelings.

I'm just "sitting with it tonight" as I am very anxious. I hope to fall asleep soon.
  • RhondaLeeRoss
    Options
    Before I post my QOTD, I would personally like to thankall the STARS for sharing! I think it's just wonderful how we can all get together and help one another through our journey. My heart goes out to each and every one of you! We all have our struggles but together we can....no wait....we WILL do this! GO STARS!

Okay, so all the questions have been GREAT, real thinkers that's for sure. So today you get a break from thinking! I'm giving you an easy one!

QOTD - Thursday, September 29: What is one of your favourite recipes? (please share with your fellow stars)

Here's mine (and it's so easy and YUMMY! - even if you don't like tomatoes):

Cut 2 pints of CHERRY (grape) TOMATOES in half.
    Place on bottom of dish.
    Mix 1/4 to 1/2 cup of OLIVE OIL with 2 tsp. of GARLIC.
    Pour mixture over tomatoes.
    Let soak for 20 minutes.
    Sprinkle (cover) tomatoes with PEPPER.
    Bake for 20 minutes at 400.
    Drain some of the oil if too runny.
    Sprinke with FETA CHEESE & BASIL.
    Serve with GARDEN HERB GRISSOL CRISPY BAGUETTES (If they don't have these where your from, just use a favourite cracker)
    ENJOY!!!

See! That was easy! Now what's one of your favourites????

Have a GREAT day everyone!
  • Wfortner
    Wfortner Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thu 09/29/11 01:35 AM

First of all, let me say, I am sorry I didnt get this answered yesterday, but here goes. I am realizing that alot of the time I was just eating because I was bored. I am a stay at home mom, and my eating seems to go through cycles. I get really busy at home and outside activities with the kids and I do really well. But then, when things slow down and I am at home, I just walk around getting a "snack" all the time. I am truly working on that. I have learned that alot of time I ate, but I wasnt really hungry at all. Also, when I started MFP I gave up Dt Mtn Dew....I did really well until my uncle passed away, and I was having a hard time....one of my first thoughts was...."I need a mt dew!!!".....weird huh??? After weeks of not even wanting one...there it was!!! Well, I live way out in the country, and come dark...EVERY thing is closed...lol...thank goodness, cuz I couldnt go buy one. I laid in bed and told myself, come morning...I am going to get one...but you know what...come morning...I didnt want it anymore...I was so proud that I didnt give in. I am still discovering my "triggers" and overcoming them!!! We all can....
  • Wfortner
    Wfortner Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thu 09/29/11 01:35 AM

First of all, let me say, I am sorry I didnt get this answered yesterday, but here goes. I am realizing that alot of the time I was just eating because I was bored. I am a stay at home mom, and my eating seems to go through cycles. I get really busy at home and outside activities with the kids and I do really well. But then, when things slow down and I am at home, I just walk around getting a "snack" all the time. I am truly working on that. I have learned that alot of time I ate, but I wasnt really hungry at all. Also, when I started MFP I gave up Dt Mtn Dew....I did really well until my uncle passed away, and I was having a hard time....one of my first thoughts was...."I need a mt dew!!!".....weird huh??? After weeks of not even wanting one...there it was!!! Well, I live way out in the country, and come dark...EVERY thing is closed...lol...thank goodness, cuz I couldnt go buy one. I laid in bed and told myself, come morning...I am going to get one...but you know what...come morning...I didnt want it anymore...I was so proud that I didnt give in. I am still discovering my "triggers" and overcoming them!!! We all can....
  • mariahhatfield
    Options
    hi, ladies. i'm sorry i didn't answer yesterday. so, here it is:

unfortunately, i have yet to overcome my emotional issues. i'm taking things day by day, and it is improving. i will get there (:
  • mummy_gerdes
    mummy_gerdes Posts: 336 Member
    Options

sorry didnt answer yesterday - i was in hospital so i think thats a good reason!! im home again now though so am catching up.

as i have just started my weight loss- for the last time!! - i havent really overcome any thing yet. however i do know what i would like to overcome.

i want to be less stressed out with everyone and to overcome my body image issues. i look in the mirror and am disgusted by it it is awful. i hardly have any intimacy with my husband because if i think that then what does he think. he tells me i look good and he loves me but it doesnt make me feel any better. i feel like everyone is judging me about my weight and it makes me want to cower in a shell and never come out. i have no confidence what so ever and cannot take any comliments as i dont believe them. so that is my answer and hopefully as i carry on with this it will get better. i am also having some counselling to help with this.
  • mummy_gerdes
    mummy_gerdes Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    QOTD - Thursday, September 29: What is one of your favourite recipes?

I love pasta so here is one of my favourites. i made it up off of the no count plan at weight watchers years ago.

Cook some whole wheat pasta
    grill a couple of chicken breasts and fry some red onion
    drain the pasta and add in the chicken
    add in 1 whole jar of salsa
    add onions, raw sweetcorn and heat through!

it so yummy!!
  • tessacope2
    Options
    QOTD - Thursday, September 29: What is one of your favorite recipes? (please share with your fellow stars)

I love mexican! I found this recipe on cookinglight.com and made it last week. It is simple and yummy! And only 235 calories per serving. I added chili powder to spice it up a bit and an extra jalepeno. I love spicy!

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/mexican-chicken-hominy-soup-50400000108351/
  • legacysh
    Options
    QOTD - Thursday, September 29: What is one of your favorite recipes? (please share with your fellow stars)

Here is my go to meal when I am running out of calories, need to get in my veggies and it needs to be quick:
    1) 3-4 cups of raw spinach
    2) 9 slices of Oscar Mayer Rotisserie Chicken Breast - chopped
    3) Tablespoon of Chopped Garlic
    4) Pam Olive oil spray

Spray the pan, put in the Garlic and stir. Stir in the chicken breast slices and let them cook a little in the Garlic (i like to brown it a bit), then add the spinach. Stir good and put a lid on it and turn the heat down to medium low. In about 2 minutes stir it up. The spinach is really kind of steaming in there, so once you stir it is breaks down, but does not get mushy.

Eat it right away.
  • nenabug
    nenabug Posts: 156
    Options

I have quite a few, but will only share one. We have it regularly (I have two gigantic cabbages in my fridge waiting to be cooked tomorrow night). It's really versatile - Cabbage and Sausage. I tend to have steamed zucchini on the side or add a couple bunches of chopped spinach to it. I LOVE veggies and cabbage is high on my list. It absorbs flavor well, so you can play with spices. Here's a link to a shared recipe blog. http://easypeasylemonsqueezyrecipes.blogspot.com/2011/08/cabbage-and-sausage.html Sometimes we'll use it as a stuffing for baked acorn squash, or we'll had brown rice or whole wheat orzo pasta.

If you try it, please let me know what you think and what variations you liked.
  • jnell82
    jnell82 Posts: 136
    Options

white chicken chili! (never got an exact recipe)

half a pan of skim milk
    half a big block of velveta cheese (lowfat or mexican style)
    2 lbs of cooked shredded chicken
    Large jar of salsa
    I can of white northern beans

Mix milk and velveta together in pan until cheese is melted
    Mix all ingredients in crock pot
    Cook on low for 8 hrs.