What do your meals look like (show me pictures)....

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,865 Member
    I have been watching some cooking competitions on TV and was inspired to attempt something a bit fancy tonight. Salmon mi cuit cooked at 43C sous vide, salmon skins crisped in the air fryer, aji verde we had lying around the fridge, a chunky SE Asian style salad, smashed new potatoes, roast carrots.
    lekquw5ryttw.jpeg

• mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,193 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    Cullen skink followed by air fryer cheese souffle and green salad. ...

@acpgee I had to chuckle ... here in the US, "skink" is a little lizard. I looked at your dish's photo, then did a little googling to see what it was. Scottish fish stew or soup. No little reptile parts floating around, LOL.
  • mjbnj0001
    @acpgee et al,

Our ever-present robot overwatch noticed I had typed into one or more apps, "focaccia," and now my Youtube feed is full of focaccia-related offerings. I thought you might find this one interesting. My initial breadmaking efforts 5+ yrs ago were based on one or another "no knead" method, high-hydration doughs. That's essentially this video's approach. "Chef John" actually has a lot of good recipes and techniques to offer; he's a San Fran-based professional chef/cooking educator, and you'll note he has a unique verbal presentation style.

https://youtu.be/zgvzvEYHlyk

• mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »

@acpgee @Adventurista

you're more industious than I. I am thinking I should harvest and use for stock all my veg waste from salads.

yes @mjbnj0001 ~ i do that too except onion skins. Also use or freeze to use any liquids from cooking veggies. I did use regular recipes when I was learning to make broths/stocks, now I just kitchen sink what I have - and I often 'pre-spice' with a variety of seasonings. My fav base is to use pan drippings & things that had been smoked on a bbq - And after it cools, to skim off any fats on top, pick out the non-edibles. scoop & freeze the clear broth on top, then stick blend the rest of the veggies & broth from the bottom which makes a nice bodied/complex base for soups and stews. Although rustic, I figure that retains some of the nutrition and fiber that we otherwise would be throwing out with the bones. ...

sounds good, thanks. literally, "food for thought."
  • acpgee
    Thanks @mjbnj0001. I promised to do a focaccia on the weekend and will try your recipe. I have ordered strong bread flour arriving today so will try that out for the first time too. I have been using regular all purpose flour up to now.
  • mjbnj0001
    Thanks @mjbnj0001. I promised to do a focaccia on the weekend and will try your recipe. I have ordered strong bread flour arriving today so will try that out for the first time too. I have been using regular all purpose flour up to now.

Good luck! Most of the flour I use, we call in the US, just "bread flour." The brand I normally use is unbleached, and has a protein content of 12.7%, which would be "strong" in UK parlance. My usual whole wheat flour has 13.2%. I have successfully made (but not recently) both focaccia and fougasse using methods similar to this video, which I why I shared it to you after your previous "looking for simpler" posting.
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 1,412 Member
    edited June 13
    went to buy flour.... oops, no money. still want to try the focaccia... so far, I have learned to spell it!!! :D

vfjz8diqbqer.jpg
    tortillas toasted - they get a bit curly fun. toppers salsa, shred cheese, guac
  • acpgee
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »

Good luck! Most of the flour I use, we call in the US, just "bread flour." The brand I normally use is unbleached, and has a protein content of 12.7%, which would be "strong" in UK parlance. My usual whole wheat flour has 13.2%. I have successfully made (but not recently) both focaccia and fougasse using methods similar to this video, which I why I shared it to you after your previous "looking for simpler" posting.

Your recipe is actually very similar to the one I use. Mine mixes together the dough ingredients waits 30 minutes then stretches every 30 minutes for the next two hours. Followed by a slow prove overnight in the fridge or a quick prove at room temperature for 30 minutes. Then one last stretch and put in the well oiled baking tray, rested for one or two hours before dimpling and baking.

Your recipe mixes together ingredients, rests at room temperature overnight, and then goes through three stretches once per hour. After placing in baking tray it rests for two hours before dimpling and baking.

So I am not sure it is less time consuming but at least your recipe doesn't require re-organizing the contents of the fridge to fit in a big bowl of dough. One thing I plan to change with your recipe is the use of tin foil and plastic wrap. Just use a sheetpan to cover the dough between stretches.

• acpgee
    Potato gnocchi with roast tomato sauce. I made the gnocchi a few weekends ago as a mourning ritual when I was notified that a grad school buddy who I used to cook Italian with has terminal cancer. There is still some of that stuff in the freezer. Secondo of saltambucco with green salad.
    6b3qcuq2kvbf.jpeg
    qklxzm8r3c7h.jpeg

• Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 1,412 Member
    @acpgee , lovely remembrance.

gptebme3285p.jpg
    Added my meatloaf to sausage veggie/potato soup.
  • IsaisaLily
    IsaisaLily Posts: 7 Member
    I've gotten into chia pudding for my first breakfast lately
  • mjbnj0001
    I tried the "Chef John" focaccia recipe with strong bread flour and the result was not significantly different to what I have done in the past. ...

Well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. It looks as if you got a good result, and I hope tasty, too. Good luck on your next version.
  • janicemlove
    janicemlove Posts: 459 Member
    m5v96wes9lg0.jpeg
    First dinner of vacation: salad (greens from CSA box), stir fry on top.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,291 Member
    🍴 vegetable lovers quiche 🥧

🍴 Chicken tenderloins with Cauli mash, orange bell peppers and onions with fresh garlic and herbs. 🌿

🍹 elderflower rose kombucha 🌹

ygziin3qpy2j.jpeg
    6umnzgtek4j4.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Pan fried sea bream and aji verde, smashed new potatoes, roast veg salad, buttered leeks.
    pr3ma3ra82nh.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Cullen skink pulled out from last weeks batch in the freezer with today's focaccia as a starter. Followed by cheese souffle and green salad.
    I added some photo's of today's focaccia which I made in multiple small pans because it might keep better over a couple of days than a single loaf made in a traditional large tray. I used the Emma Fontanella recipe (skipping the optional overnight slow prove in the fridge) in conjunction with bread flour and suspect that it results smaller bubbles/holes than the Chef John recipe. There was no discernable difference in the eating experience, and Emma's recipe dirties fewer dishes and her stretch and fold technique that needs to be performed periodically dirties only one hand instead of two.
    hkqgfg6y2ias.jpeg
    8l607mkoe7gb.jpeg
    xxj9xw6m5qbn.jpeg
    tkopl9qm73at.jpeg
  • mjbnj0001
    Cullen skink pulled out from last weeks batch in the freezer with today's focaccia as a starter. Followed by cheese souffle and green salad.
    I added some photo's of today's focaccia which I made in multiple small pans because it might keep better over a couple of days than a single loaf made in a traditional large tray. I used the Emma Fontanella recipe (skipping the optional overnight slow prove in the fridge) in conjunction with bread flour and suspect that it results smaller bubbles/holes than the Chef John recipe. There was no discernable difference in the eating experience, and Emma's recipe dirties fewer dishes and her stretch and fold technique that needs to be performed periodically dirties only one hand instead of two.

tkopl9qm73at.jpeg

looks pretty good as is, don't always need the giant bubbles.