What do your meals look like (show me pictures)....

Options

Replies

• mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Saute mixed veggies, shredded smoke turkey stuffed split pea soup.
    875uca7264ix.jpg

@Adventurista

"stuffed"?
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    Burger night.
    t2lfxuczzdl9.jpeg

@acpgee

focaccia burger buns. of course! i didn't think of that. I am gearing up for grilling season here now that I'm home from travels.
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 733 Member
    edited June 6
    Options
    @mjbnj0001 ~ welcome back... did notice...

re stuffed? Mostly a turn of phrase from family. We would stuff chicken noodle soup with crackers on sick days (traditional).

Now, I stuff with veggies and or lean meats, cheese or add some quinoa, to any soup (to achieve desired macros.)

Actually was a shift in approach for sick days.... realized most of our 'sick day' foods were mostly carbs, and that bled over into comfort foods for emotional reasons as well.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    In the spirit of @Adventurista I make homemade stock due to thriftiness. I permanently have 3 ziplocks in the freezer for poultry bones, fish carcasses and shells of crustaceans, vegetable peels. My tip is not to forget to save stock ingredients from store bought food such as rotisserie chicken, a bucket of KFC, or a takeaway seafood boil. My household doesn’t eat enough bone in beef to have a beef bone bag.
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    @mjbnj0001 ~ welcome back... did notice...

re stuffed? Mostly a turn of phrase from family. We would stuff chicken noodle soup with crackers on sick days (traditional).

Now, I stuff with veggies and or lean meats, cheese or add some quinoa, to any soup (to achieve desired macros.)

Actually was a shift in approach for sick days.... realized most of our 'sick day' foods were mostly carbs, and that bled over into comfort foods for emotional reasons as well.

ah. thanks!
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    In the spirit of @Adventurista I make homemade stock due to thriftiness. I permanently have 3 ziplocks in the freezer for poultry bones, fish carcasses and shells of crustaceans, vegetable peels. My tip is not to forget to save stock ingredients from store bought food such as rotisserie chicken, a bucket of KFC, or a takeaway seafood boil. My household doesn’t eat enough bone in beef to have a beef bone bag.

@acpgee @Adventurista

you're more industious than I. I am thinking I should harvest and use for stock all my veg waste from salads.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Alvin's Drunken Chicken recipe done with a chicken breast (his recipe uses a whole chicken), and augmented with brown rice. This is a meal that can be put together in the 20 minutes it takes to cook rice.
    3dc0wz66013o.jpeg

• SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,015 Member
    edited June 7
    Options
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »

Well, as I experienced it this trip, and no disparagement meant to any Montanans here, I saw the diet out there consists mostly of 4 "primary food groups:" huckleberries, craft beer, craft coffee and meat. So, my gut wasn't entirely happy with me, but did adjust over the course of 16 days. And somehow, I lost 5 lbs - must have been the exercise. Huckleberries, unlike their blueberry cousins, cannot be raised agriculturally, so they're all wild harvested - and everything from beer, coffee, bbq sauce, candy, pastries, etc. is made with "hucks."

4rpa77w5sg0n.jpg

mc8i0l387p6c.jpg

na2x2fockz8c.jpg

@mjbnj0001 great photos!! Elk and bison are on my menu quite a bit.. just because I like it. :)

Interesting facts about huckleberries!

Look forward to your foodie pics!
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    @SafariGalNYC

Bison meat on the hoof ...

aix8p8ftzycd.jpg

wg3x7ny5og08.jpg

... at the National Bison Reserve, outside of Missoula (vehicle ahead had to wait quite a while for the bison to clear the road to pass, we just sat behind and enoyed the show, LOL). Big critters.

• SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    @SafariGalNYC

Bison meat on the hoof ...

aix8p8ftzycd.jpg

wg3x7ny5og08.jpg

... at the National Bison Reserve, outside of Missoula (vehicle ahead had to wait quite a while for the bison to clear the road to pass, we just sat behind and enoyed the show, LOL). Big critters.

Wow!!! (It’s been awhile since I was in Montana or Wyoming! ) thanks for these. 😉
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    Well, Montana dining was just fine, but I believe there's a law on the books that a New Jersey resident is required to eat Italian at least weekly, LOL. Homemade baked chicken breast parm (panko with personal blend Italian seasonings), side spaghetti/sauce, broccoli and (not shown) a chopped salad. MFP computes this about 904 cals, 68g protein, 29g fat, 99g carb with 15g fiber. A little rich, but hey, "Friday night."

Also, I started and ended my day today breadmaking. Out in Montana, sourdough, especially "Wheat Montana" brand sourdough was pretty prevalent. Got me thinking about my hybrid sourdough process on whole wheat, so I decided to switch to bread flour today rather than whole (red) wheat and see the difference. Rather than making two loaves simultaneously as usual, I opted to divide the dough batch for 1 loaf and 8 rolls suitable for burgers/etc. on the weekend. The process utilized a 12.5 hr primary fermentation at room temp (countertop). We'll see how things are tomorrow when they cool. The rolls feel pretty fluffy, which is a little different than my whole wheat attempts, where I struggle with finished product density pretty often.

swlnyk47su5w.png

9bsibuk8lv3x.png

• mjbnj0001
    Options

Wow!!! (It’s been awhile since I was in Montana or Wyoming! ) thanks for these. 😉

I was in Glacier National in 1962 as the family drove across the country from NJ to the Seattle World's Fair. This was a bit of a bucket list fulfillment trip for me. It's beautiful country.
  • Taniagirly
    Taniagirly Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I tried some new recipes tonight, white fish baked in a creamy sauce with potato gratin and leeks and a panko Parmesan crust (amazing) and rosemary garlic focaccia (super easy).eqyd9zvwte6b.jpeg
    ouulxczfkipt.jpeg
    xt56tmftw3uu.jpeg
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    Taniagirly wrote: »
    I tried some new recipes tonight, white fish baked in a creamy sauce with potato gratin and leeks and a panko Parmesan crust (amazing) and rosemary garlic focaccia (super easy).

a few appetizing focaccia pics recently. i'm thinking it's getting to be time to try ...

• acpgee
    Options
    Vietnamese lunch out with a girlfriend.
    ohd0p7jv6ov2.jpeg
    rh4v5cw6lai8.jpeg
    okby2gfsu4jy.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Options
    @Taniagirly
    Would you mind posting the easy focaccia recipe you use? I have been using one that is not difficult but very time consuming.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Spaghetti with tomato sauce and meatballs both pulled out of the freezer. Sauteed snow peas.
    y7w4y0vfaidg.jpeg