What do your meals look like (show me pictures)....

Options
1119411951196119711981200»

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    I have yet to try the recipe for focaccia that @Taniagirly posted but have adapted the Emma Fontanella and Chef John recipes using super hydrated doughs to get the big bubbles without dirtying a lot of dishes and without an overnight cold prove. It is too much hassle making room in the fridge for a big vessel of fermenting dough.
    Use a large Dutch oven or casserole pot with a tight fitting lid to make the dough instead of a mixing bowl so you don’t need plastic wrap or foil. Start this recipe in the evening before you want the focaccia ready.
    Mix 400g of lukewarm water with 5g of dry yeast and a quarter teaspoon of sugar to activate the yeast. I heat water to 38C to 43C in the microwave in a large measuring cup before adding the yeast. In the casserole pot measure out 500g of bread flour, 8g of salt, a tablespoon of olive oil. Stir in the yeast mixture with a silicon spatula scraping the sides clean. Cover and prove at room temperature overnight. Leave the dirty rubber spatula in the measuring cup to use to scrape the bowl or transfer to baking tray later.
    In the morning wet one hand under the tap and use Emma Fontanella’s technique to stretch and fold the dough 4 times in the casserole pot. Repeat the stretch and fold procedure at least 3 times letting the dough rest 30-60 minutes covered between stretches. Each stretch is 2 minutes work.
    Oil a 9in x 13in non stick baking tray with 3 tablespoons of olive oil and use your fingers to spread oil up the sides. Tip the dough in, and flip upside down so that the surface is covered with oil. Cover with a sheet pan or cookie sheet and prove at room temperature for 2 hours. In the meantime prepare toppings such as sliced olives, rosemary or sun dried tomatoes by soaking in a little olive oil in a small bowl.
    After the final prove dip your fingertips in the toppings bowl and dimple the focaccia. Then sprinkle over the toppings. Bake on the bottom rack (helps brown the bottom) of a 200C oven for 20 to 30 minutes until top is golden. I do not bother to preheat the oven.
    Here is the result of this method. I used a couple of smaller baking trays because it takes our household 3 days to eat a focaccia and the smaller loaves stay fresher.
    m9k0mihg0u9x.jpeg

• mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    Red apples were looking poorly this week at market, so I picked up some Granny Smiths. And in this house, cucumber is a basic food group (as are apples), LOL. So, the two in salad? In summer? I'm interested! Would you have a recipe? I quickly googled apple-cucumber salad; nothing I saw looked precisely like yours - I suspect the dressing made it distinct from the search results.

A combination of julienned granny smith with spiralized root vegetables is my go to substitute for green mango in Thai or Vietnamese salads. To make essentially a Thai salad less labour intensive I just chop chunks of cucumber and Granny Smith with optional halved cherry tomato and 1 inch lengths of blanched green beans. Optional slices of red onion is a nice addition. Less work than traditional fine julienne. Optional herby toppings of some combo of coriander, mint and basil. Optional dry toppings of any combo of toasted coconut, toasted peanuts, and/or store bought fried shallots or onion. Here’s an example of a SE asian dressing but use any one from a google search for green papaya salad or Som Tam.
    https://hot-thai-kitchen.com/yum-som-o/

thanks!
  • acpgee
    Options
    Friday nights we tend to eat out as the hubby thinks it makes the weekend feel longer. We went to a Izakaya.
    j3juv99n7l9e.jpeg
    5p4qvswtn49d.jpeg
    kficpxshxjwq.jpeg
    jok87i9d230b.jpeg

• janicemlove
    janicemlove Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    1420byxzshur.jpeg
    Stir fry w Korean flavors. Using up bits as I’ll be on vacation soon.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Nam prik noom originally intended as a starter with crudites and pork rinds but served at the same time as main because I feared it would be too spicy for the hubby. Sous vide pork loin pulled out of the freezer and finished in the air fryer. Some Korean banchan (daikon salad and sesame dressed bean sprouts). Brown rice.
    mt3rxkzye9zi.jpeg
  • janicemlove
    Options
    0x9cd9gr2vrj.jpeg
    On the weekends I tend to wait to eat until noon, but I started running again and need to run in the morning before it gets hot. So this is a quick before my longish run breakfast. A couple of mini waffles w my cute new waffle maker. Second time using it was more successful and got me closer to the crispy waffle I like.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Chilli con carne from the batch I cooked with a girlfriend a few weekends ago and stashed in the freezer with drizzle of the last of the aji verde we made while the chilli was simmering and stashed in the fridge. Leftover brown rice from last night warmed up in the microwave. Some sauteed courgette, mushroom and eggplant cooked fresh today on the side.
    6nxaw4c46720.jpeg

• mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Sunday's hot afternoon (locally) turning towards a late/evening rainstorm had me switching from a planned outdoor-grilled dinner into the second oven-baked sheet pan prep of the week: BBQ chicken breast with roasted veg (yellow summer squash, broccoli, red onion - with "Italian" herbs and seasonings), brown rice.

MFP estimates the plate at about 584 cals, 46g protein, 14g fat, 68g carb (of which 12g fiber and 20g sugar - the BBQ sauce once again delivers the sugar via HFCS).

kgsvvsidi4jt.jpeg

hc65g59lr3zq.jpeg

• janicemlove
    Options
    xa4nvxbc8c6u.jpeg
    Post long run. Not pictured: 2 bowls of pretzels and a protein drink. Long run was 1 hr. The mushroom sampler from Costco is amazing.
  • acpgee
    Options
    We're going to Canada tomorrow to visit mom before I start a new job. Tapas dinner is a good way to use up small quantities of veg lingering at the bottom of the fridge, never mind little bits of leftover meat.
    I baked two batches of focaccia because I accidentally tore a bag of bread flour while putting away the groceries last night. Using the excess for sandwiches to take to the airport seeing as airport food tends to be both expensive and yucky. The cross section of the big loaf used the Emma Fontanella schedule of stretching and folding followed by an overnight cold prove in the refrigerator. The cross section of the small loaf used the Chef John schedule of first proving at room temperature overnight followed by a series of stretch and folds. Colour differences are due to different brands of flour, I think.
    9tbm2kz920ef.jpeg
    ijlg4y21fgr0.jpeg
    qdu4imyhn3u8.jpeg

• acpgee
    Options
    Air Canada economy service Heathrow to Halifax.
    x08gp7m2czz6.jpeg