Stretching for more flexibility

Options
Hi. I’ve always been a weight lifting person who likes strength training and the way my body feels after a workout. However I have no flexibility. I tried to go to a beginner’s yoga class once and I was so tight and had no balance. I recently started to do the 7 minute stretch exercises that this app recommended for a workout. The exercise for my neck and back were really helpful. I think I’ll get some beginning yoga videos and start. My body loves the stretching!!!!

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,368 Member
    Options
    Great news!

I would've hoped a beginner class's instructor would've offered adaptations for any beginner who struggles with even the basics, since a major benefit of yoga is increasing flexibility/balance. I guess that's too optimistic. :D

I'm glad to hear that the MFP stretches helped you to bridge the gap.

Best wishes for continuing progress!
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I'd also recommend looking up mobility exercises that you can do at the gym as well. You might need to wait to start some of that once you get a bit more flexibility under your belt but stretching statically can only do so much. So look up mobility or 'functional' exercises too. Those types of things will still encourage strength and movement so that you can keep doing all the things you want to do.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,267 Member
    Options
    The major downfall of strength training is the tendency to tighten up muscles into just the range of motion used during the lift, but little more. Wise lifters take the time to work on flexibility as well, not just for quality of life, but it also can help with the lifting itself, allowing for greater range of motion as well as helping to prevent injury. Good on you, @travelnpeace to spend time focusing on it.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,550 Member
    Options
    My first trainer owned a competitive lifting gym and travelled all over the place, attending competitions with gym members.

I do yoga several times a week and though not naturally flexible, have developed it.

She used to constantly wish her competitors stretched regularly like me. I couldn’t throw around the weight they could, but she said my prospects of long term health were much better.

The stretching and balance work have also helped me with some stupid yet severe falls and a bike wreck last week. I’d have been in a lot worse shape than I was without that training.

If you’ve got a yoga instructor (or any other instructor, for that matter) who isn’t providing modifications for you, you’re in the wrong place.

When privately informed of my road rash and deep bruising from the bike wreck, my cardio instructor provided lots of mods for me this morning, tactfully called me out in class without naming me for overdoing it, and checked with me afterwards to make sure I was OK. That’s an excellent instructor.

So good for you. Stretching is great for so many reasons!
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I’ve started doing a quick little routine of mobility exercises every morning as soon as I get out of bed. I’m amazed at how much more flexible I’ve become in a short amount of time. Feels great, helps me wake up and starts my day off well. And I feel like I do better at the gym too. And I can stretch out better after a workout.