WOMEN AGES 50+FOR MAY 2024

Options

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    [
    Debbie -you can handle a chainsaw? I'm impressed! I've been thinking of getting a little battery operated one (Stihl again). Great job on the walking. :p And nice your DH will be attending the show and you'll have Saturday to yourself. ;)

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Both my mini chain saw and the one I used yesterday(mid size, not full size) are battery operated.
    I will be using the mid size again this next week in the back- neighbors have huge juniper branches hanging over the fence and into my garden. I will set them on top of the fence or put them on their side I think. May just cut them up and put them in our yard waste- will see how generous I am feeling when I get up there and start cutting.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    edited May 4
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 8min 39sec, 39elev, 2.85ap, 79ahr, 92mhr, 6.15mi= 570c
    Strava app = 754c
    Zwift home spin bike- strava stats- 54.12min, 554elev, 107aw, 16.7amph, 50arpm, 30gear, 103ahr, 131mhr, 15.06mi= 353c
    Strava app= 331c
    Zwift stats- 54.14min, 558elev, 107aw, 50arpm, 16.71amph, 15.1mi= 332c

Total cal 923

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    Debbie - OK, I'm going to start battery chainsaw shopping. When the landscape crew was out here a few weeks ago and took down a couple trees, they didn't saw the remains of the trunks down to ground level and I hit one of them with the mower yesterday. Needs to be a hair lower - I already have the mower deck set pretty high. I tried to pare them down with a hatchet this morning and it's too much of a struggle. Plus more limbs are hanging low on some other trees that they've leafed out and wipe my hat off when I try to go under them. It's time.

I have a chicken question for Debbie:
    Does your mom let her hens free range or are they kept in a run, at least at night? And if they are kept in a run, does she close the coop door? With the longer days, my girls don't go in the coop until after 8:30 this week and are up before 5. In another couple months, it won't get dark until after 10 and the morning sun will start lighting up the sky at 3:30 or so. There's not a way to put an automatic coop door closer on my cheap little coop. The run is completely enclosed chain link, including tight fencing over the top. I can't think of any predator big enough to do them harm if I don't close that coop door at night, they are safe from raccoons and opossums. I figure I have another couple weeks to think about it.

Barbara - sorry about that GERD. The way I dealt with my "attack" several months ago was to stop eating 3 hours or so before I went to bed so my stomach was empty, plus I'd drink half a glass of water with half a teaspoon of baking soda right before bed. The plan was to neutralize any acid remaining. Mine kicked up several months ago when I ate a piece of garlic chicken alfredo pizza before bed. Has been OK ever since and I still stop eating 2 to 3 hours before bed. I also had a sore throat for quite a while.

Rosie doesn't stop barking if people are in the house and if I'm in there too. She doesn't even remember who I am, she gets so wound up telling them it's her house. :D DH was the alpha dog and it's been hard for her to reconcile that I'm not her equal anymore I think.

I took my high-frequency gadget and tried it out on the barky neighbor dog next door. :p
    I was walking along my fence, minding my own business and that dog saw me and came blasting over, barking up a storm, with its little Pom buddy barking too. I pointed the gadget at them and hit the "on" button. This also activates some LED lights. That got their attention, though they still kept barking a little. Then I walked closer, got within about 10 feet, and they ran back behind the trees. The Pom had quit barking, the big one still barking some, but by that time they were near the house back door and the hard of hearing owner came out and told them to be quiet! I consider that a win. I didn't have to say a word, I don't think that neighbor even knew what I had done. :D The rusty field fence isn't in that good of shape, so hopefully the big dog will quit lunging against it when I'm out there on the mower.

I read up on that gadget. I guess people use them to train their own dogs to stop barking. Rosie is the best watchdog so I don't want her to feel she can't let me know if someone pulls in the driveway for example, so I just deal with it. Her watching out the window nuisance barking has gotten a lot better, the UPS truck driving by no longer gets her excited.

Rain is back.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    I dug around in my closet - last year I had ordered an ultrasonic trainer device which supposedly emits a high frequency that dogs don't like. I hadn't used it yet but put the battery in it and am anxious to give it a try. Yesterday when I was mowing in back, another neighbor dog went for me and barked and lunged at the fence. Those neighbors - the man of the house is deaf and has the TV up so loud, his wife can't hear anything that goes on outside it seems. :s

Think I'll get the weed eater going by the back fence....maybe I can test the new gizmo today. :p>:) [/spoiler]

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

You must tell me more about this device!!

M in Oz

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Debbie - OK, I'm going to start battery chainsaw shopping. When the landscape crew was out here a few weeks ago and took down a couple trees, they didn't saw the remains of the trunks down to ground level and I hit one of them with the mower yesterday. Needs to be a hair lower - I already have the mower deck set pretty high. I tried to pare them down with a hatchet this morning and it's too much of a struggle. Plus more limbs are hanging low on some other trees that they've leafed out and wipe my hat off when I try to go under them. It's time.

Does your mom let her hens free range or are they kept in a run, at least at night? And if they are kept in a run, does she close the coop door? With the longer days, my girls don't go in the coop until after 8:30 this week and are up before 5. In another couple months, it won't get dark until after 10 and the morning sun will start lighting up the sky at 3:30 or so. There's not a way to put an automatic coop door closer on my cheap little coop. The run is completely enclosed chain link, including tight fencing over the top. I can't think of any predator big enough to do them harm if I don't close that coop door at night, they are safe from raccoons and opossums. I figure I have another couple weeks to think about it.

Rain is back.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

mom locks the chickens up every night. They are let out in the mornings. She actually has an alarm set on her phone to remind her to lock them up at night. She is having to go out later because of the time change. She uses a hose to chase them inside if they are not in when she goes out.
    Her chickens are fenced in at all times (and it is covered too) because she has had critters come in the middle of the day and grab chickens before she had it covered and when she let them out in the pasture.
    If any chicken doesn't go inside for the night, there is a very high likelyhood they will not survive the night.
  • Machka9
    Options
    I purchased a pre-planned garden with 17 perennials and have asked the lawn service to till me a garden. the garden is suppose to have full sun. I want it in my front yard where I like to sit but the shade from the trees is there all morning long. I am not sure what to do.

I hope you all have a good May 1st!

Best,
    Rosemarie from GA

If there's full sun in the afternoon, it should be all right.

Poerava14 wrote: »
    In one week I'll be in Charleston for music, beach and the sweet attentions of my Golden Goober. It's just starting to feel real. Slightest shiver up my spine when I think about it.

Stay well, friends. We can do this.

Rori
    a lucky lady
    Colorado Foothills

:):)

I marvel at the meals you all make and eat. I am so incredibly fussy, and it seems the last few years I’ve only wanted junk. I was asked last week what I liked, my response was “if your average 10 year old would eat it I probably would.

Tracey in Edmonton

Me too!

Although if a person served me a bowl of plain pasta or rice and steamed veggies, I'd be perfectly happy with that.

In fact, that's more or less what I eat.

evie1958 wrote: »
    My extended family took a couple of big hits this week. Details in spoiler:
    Wed evening I got a text from one cousin to let me know that her mom had passed earlier that day.She had been confined to a wheelchair so when my uncle (her husband) passed a few years ago my cousin was able to find a private care home for her. I visited her there a few times, it was quite nice. The first time I went to see her, she could be transferred from bed to a wheelchair, but then one night she decided that instead of calling someone when she had to go to the bathroom that she would just walk as it was only a few steps. Well, she fell and broke her hip. I'm not sure what went wrong, they apparently did do surgery, but something went sideways so she was bedridden. Hubby and I saw her last year when we were traveling, she kept saying stuff about "when I get better". We have a group text going with several other cousins, so the next morning my phone was going nuts trying to keep up. Then Monday afternoon, another cousin texted that his dad wasn't doing well, he'd had a series of small strokes in the past few months and had been in hospital since April 18. He'd had a massive stroke a few years ago that left him partially paralyzed (mostly left side affected) but he was still doing okay although it was a lot on my aunt. Another group text this morning to let us all know that our uncle had passed peacefully last night. My uncle was in his early 90's, my aunt was 86, neither of them were in great health, but it's still hard to have to say goodbye to them. Not sure what anybody is planning in the way of a service, just have to wait and see.

Evelyn, Vancouver Island

So sorry!

M in Oz

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,370 Member
    edited May 4
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Debbie -

Rain is back.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

mom locks the chickens up every night. They are let out in the mornings. She actually has an alarm set on her phone to remind her to lock them up at night. She is having to go out later because of the time change. She uses a hose to chase them inside if they are not in when she goes out.
    Her chickens are fenced in at all times (and it is covered too) because she has had critters come in the middle of the day and grab chickens before she had it covered and when she let them out in the pasture.
    If any chicken doesn't go inside for the night, there is a very high likelyhood they will not survive the night.

Debbie - thank you for that info, it helps. What are the main predators at your mom's place - possums? raccoons? weasels?

When we lived on the farm, one night we forgot to shut the coop door - the coop was set in a large pasture. That night, something sneaked in and killed nearly all of the hens, we figured it was a raccoon(s) Took the hens out into the pasture and ate the breast meat, left the rest of the carcass. Sneaky varmints! :(

I haven't seen any around here but that doesn't mean they aren't watching.

Lanette
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,486 Member
    Options
    🤗💖
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    <3
  • CarolGaGal
    CarolGaGal Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
  • Machka9
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Machka- Crichton's books tend to be very "science-y/sci-fi". I have read the majority of his works. He passed away in 2006 (or 2008?) and his "company" writes in his name, now. I think Rising Sun was the most political. I really enjoyed Timeline. It delved into history, time travel, science, romance. It was really good. I liked the books Congo and Micro as well. Of course Jurassic Park and Lost World, naturally. Like most books, they are a bit different than the movies. Better? Maybe. But different. BUT...I think you should try Timeline.
    ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

Science-y/Sci-fi wouldn't be bad. Droning on and on about politics, however, was just about enough to have me tear my hair out. His editor should have gotten in there and removed about 1/3 of the book as the first improvement.
    If I come across Timeline, I might give it a try.

M in Oz

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    :) This is the safe that Jake bought. It will arrive on Thursday.
    https://amazon.com/dp/B0BLV5YYY7?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

:) I'll report more when we get it and use it.