WOMEN AGES 50+FOR MAY 2024

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,269 Member
    Options
    Carol - We always had dinner and tea, or 'High tea' if there was a hot savoury. We had 'School dinners'. Supper was something before bed, like a bit of bread and cheese.
    Now I have a light lunch, and a substantial dinner in the early evening.

I've just climbed my way down two flights of stairs to take out of the freezer the bread rolls and parma ham for John's cricket lunch tomorrow. It's 2.45 in the morning! Forgot to do it before bed, even though I went into the kitchen to do it. I ended up having a glass of water instead. :| While I was in the freezer , I decided to finish off the vanilla ice cream and take it up to bed with me. I've eaten it.
    On my way down the very creaky loft stairs I woke up John, who came out, as I was going up, to visit the toilet. He didn't see the ice cream in the dark. I will confess in the morning. :p

It's going to be hot tomorrow. Might have to take my socks off. :#

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    A day that resonates with me came up just recently. :) I spend lots of days without shoes or with limited shoe time. And I prefer not wearing socks either.

hgytf3dualu3.png

My feet are happiest without anything constricting them, irritating them, or rubbing holes into them.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    1948CWB wrote: »
    Question: How many of you call the evening meal supper. I grew up calling lunch dinner and the evening meal supper. All through my marriage I called the evening meal dinner but lately am thinking of it as supper.

Love to you all,
    Carol in GA

In Australia we have:

- Breakfast (early morning meal)
    - Brunch (late morning meal)
    - Lunch (early afternoon meal)
    - Smoko/Coffee (mid-afternoon coffee and snack).
    - Dinner/Tea (late afternoon/early evening meal. Often the big meal of the day)
    - Supper (mid-evening snack)

So someone might ask you round for Coffee, at which time you'll be asked if you would like coffee, tea or something cold, and likely some sort of snack will appear.

Later, someone might ask what you'd like to do for Tea, and you might ask if the local Pub has Parmas and if they do, you'll opt for that.

Then, back home in the evening, someone might ask if you'd like anything for Supper ... they've got some fruit or crackers and cheese or a bit of cake.

Machka in Oz

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    <3
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,428 Member
    edited May 12
    Options
    Happy Mother’s Day to those in the U.S. who celebrate. I spent a lot of years avoiding the day after I found out I couldn’t have kids of my own in 1985, and even more so after my mother died in 1999. Then after I married Corey and got a 15-year-old son and a 17-year-old daughter, 15 years ago now, I started making up for lost time. Life is funny. John and Soraya brought me a marigold plant, and promised to return for Corey's birthday/Father's Day in June.

Tracey – Your cards were terrific and your photos are gorgeous, thanks for sharing them! Unfortunately, I was too tired to stay up late enough to see the Aurora Borealis. Fortunately, that is because I was sleeping well. Kinda loving your grands, as always!

Terri – Absolutely loved the cards you made.

Heather – I’m sorry for your DSIL’s pain. After my first husband’s secretive habits, it has been an amazing relief to live with a man who really is an open book. I think the quote is “You’re only as sick as your secrets.” My first husband had lots of them, and no intention of ever giving them up—and in the end, it’s what killed the marriage. I came into my second marriage terribly suspicious about what my husband could be hiding, and I can say after 15 years that Corey doesn’t keep secrets. He was very patient with my foibles on that front. Glad to see you writing again…

Rita – I’m so pleased your middle daughter reached out, and hope that someday she gets it together enough to realize what she loses when she shuts people out. Genuinely not easy for a 40-year-old to change that much, though. Try to keep your expectations low…

Lanette – Nothing yet on my BIL’s plans. Had to put it to the side. Old Texas saying, seen it from lots of possible sources, “Don’t trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.” Trying to do that. Really trying.

Sue in WA – Hope everything’s settled down now that the horrible renter person has departed… Will you be renting the place out again?

Allie – Things work out like they’re supposed to, in the end, glad the docs are keeping a close eye on Tracey. Hope you’re keeping up with your own health while you’re trying to make sure everyone else is OK…

Beth – The celebration with your mom sounds lovely. Hope the activation is a great success, and glad the side effects are subsiding.

Carol – So glad your son and grandson acknowledged Mother's Day for you. Sounds very yummy, and an awful lot of work for you! We had breakfast, lunch and supper growing up, brunch was not a thing in the country, didn’t even hear that word until I left home. Dinner was “dinner on the ground,” at church, or holiday dinners. Now for Corey and me, there's dinner and a snack for anything eaten after dinner, we seldom eat lunch formally or together, but we always eat dinner together… sometimes he makes each of us a different dish, but at least we’re together. Hope there’s good news from your husband’s doctor(s).

Barbie – Hot here too, enough that we relaxed inside after about 1 p.m. on Saturday, it was uncomfortable to work outside.

Rebecca – The grands are so just beautiful, and simply can’t believe Athena is already five! What a lovely photoshoot! So sorry the kitchen is in an uproar, but it will sure be nice to have it done and have a sturdy floor underfoot.

Machka – Love that priority message, too. It really strikes at the heart of what we want, doesn’t it.

Kim – Was so pleased to see you pop up with your barmy little bulldog story, just because it was nice to see you, but I know that had to be unnerving to live with, even for a short time. Knew a couple with a Yorkshire terrier, a tiny little male, uncut. That dog basically humped a stuffed Baby Minnie soft doll everywhere he went, every waking moment. It was built to sit up, and when he flipped it over, it was the right size for a mate, apparently. He would just push it everywhere he went, humping all the way. Weirdly, when they tried to have him mated, he was utterly uninterested in his own species. Just wanted his Baby Minnie. Never heard of a female dog having that same tic, though.

And on that note, I'll close this... More later, most likely.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR