WOMEN AGES 50+FOR MAY 2024

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    edited May 21
    Options
    Annie and Machka - In the UK, if the house deeds have obviously been transferred recently to avoid having to sell it, then that is illegal, and charges on the house can still be made. Whether the councils will actually pursue the cash is another matter. Also they may let the survivor live in the house for a while, or for life, and make a charge on it. Usually, there is a 7 year gap required to avoid charges. This doesn't apply to a spouse, when the law is they cannot demand the house is sold.
    Annie, it may help to think of looking after your dad as a full time paid job, in that you are earning the worth of the house. This should be discussed with your sister. i. e. you should get a bigger share. Do you have carer's allowance in the US? If there is, you should be applying for it.
    My heart goes out to you. You need legal advice. <3

I'm not going to my son's house today. John is picking up Bea. I am keeping myself quiet. We will have an easy dinner - falafel and hummus with fluffy pittas, and a big salad. (Yesterday was baked cod with a pesto crust, and cauliflower mashed with crême fraiche and Parmesan. ) We have had a lot of fishy and non meat days recently. :D We had egg sandwiches for lunch.

I can see a nap in the near future. Sleep was very sparse last night. Pain worse today. I'm blaming the rain.

Tracey - Michaela is so lovely. Wonderful, strong, character. <3 I love it when they are their own people.

Vicki - So sorry about your long-term friend. Such a huge loss. It's often not given enough weight. My friends are so important to me. Hugs. XOXO <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,674 Member
    Options
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    I was up and out early..got Alfie to the groomers at 6:45 and got bloodwork in 2 different towns and back home by 8:30 am
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :)Carol, That's good news for your husband.

:'(Vicki Sorry to hear about your friend.

:) It's raining today so maybe we'll finally have time to figure out the new safe which is still sitting under a chair in the living room.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    :)
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,936 Member
    Options
    @Michelle: A sloppy Kevin is like a sloppy Joe only lean, diced tomatoes instead of purée or sauce, no sugar, and DH put shredded carrots in everything. It adds sweetness along with the veggie vitamins.

@Machka: I’ve been wondering…. Is your ‘Tip’ store like a Salvation Army Thrift Store you can buy or donate too? We have a GoodWill and a Humane Society one also. I found another, not sure if I can find it again, that buys and sells donated things as well. This is a poor area for the locals and there are plenty of these types of shops here.

@Vicki; My sympathies for your friend. It is hard to lose someone close to you.

Food Yesterday
    Breakfast: 1/2 Organic banana, MCT oil 1 Tbl. Corn Flakes, 1 cup, Full fat plain Greek yogurt 1/2 cup, Green Tea with lemon
    Lunch: Flour Tortilla, large, sautéed chicken breast 4 oz., 1 oz. Shredded cheddar cheese, 1/2 small avocado, chopped radishes, chopped green onions (from my garden pots), sliced mushrooms, and a dash of BBQ sauce, no sugar, Kevin’s recipe.
    Snack: 2 grapes, 1 oz cheddar cheese
    Dinner/snack: 3 small ice cream cups, the kind that come in a bag at Walmart for parties.
    96.5 oz water
    All told only 152 calories over the 1200 calorie goal.

RVRita in Roswell Where it is supposed to be much cooler at only 93 for a high with <25% humidity. Perfect temp.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    Annie and Machka - In the UK, if the house deeds have obviously been transferred recently to avoid having to sell it, then that is illegal, and charges on the house can still be made. Whether the councils will actually pursue the cash is another matter. Also they may let the survivor live in the house for a while, or for life, and make a charge on it. Usually, there is a 7 year gap required to avoid charges. This doesn't apply to a spouse, when the law is they cannot demand the house is sold.
    Annie, it may help to think of looking after your dad as a full time paid job, in that you are earning the worth of the house. This should be discussed with your sister. i. e. you should get a bigger share. Do you have carer's allowance in the US? If there is, you should be applying for it.
    My heart goes out to you. You need legal advice. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Yes, agreed, Annie and her sister need legal advice.

With the Carer's allowance, it's a good idea to find out what all the strings attached to it are first. I investigated it here, and started to apply for it, but felt there were too many strings attached for my comfort.

But it is certainly worth looking at all the options.

M in Oz

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,936 Member
    Options
    Today is Tea, meditation, and Duolingo! A great day!
    7wlvv8ejn6vs.jpeg
    6jbdcefzftiu.jpeg
    ikmc28eb20cz.png

A bit about St. Helena Day: The volcanic island, in the South Atlantic Ocean off the coast of mainland Africa, celebrates the day the island was discovered on this day.

RVRita who is drinking her tea while writing this! Have a great day!!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    I walked a mile with my dad. No cramps and no bathroom issues! Yay! But I am really out of shape.

Annie in Delaware

:) Sounds like walking with your dad will be good for both of you
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,651 Member
    Options
    Annie - maybe your dad's new job is as your fitness trainer!

As far as I was able to discover there is no real "carers" pay in the US, there seemed to be a way to get some but you had to be licensed, and one person I spoke with at our local senior center said it was a 2 year program to get licensed. When I checked into it was while my mom was staying with me - and I knew it was very short term. But Annie it might be worth looking into as yours is not just for a recovery time as mine was. My local senior center has some folks who are very helpful and others not so much so if you do reach out to them and don't get help, try at a different time. LOL

Kim
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    edited May 21
    Options
    Tina - I assume it was gf toast. Most places have gf options. I often give the girls avocado toast when they come over. They both love it. In a local posh café it is £14 a portion! :o
    Brighton and Hove is stuffed with wonderful restaurants and cafés, but we are baulking at the prices. We tend to go to the three or four places we love, and are reliably priced. The pizza certainly doesn't taste like cardboard. It is a pillow of wood-charred heaven! I have broccoli and Italian fennel sausage on mine, chilli and mozzarella.
    Edie said xhe didn't finish her breakfast, but it was very good. As an athlete, she is health conscious, and good at stopping when she has had enough. She says she has an extra dessert stomach though! :p

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,674 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 7min 41sec, 71elev, 2.79ap, 80ahr, 103mhr, 6.22mi= 649c
    Strava app = 747c
    Walk home to gym- 10.58min, .54mi= 52c
    Strava app = 66c
    Slow treadmill jog- 21.50min, 10.55min mi, 5.3, 5.5 & 6.0speed, 165spm, 130ahr, 178mhr, 2mi= 230c
    Spin at gym- 11.54min, gear12, 117ahr, 134mhr, 15.13amph, 3mi= 112c
    Walk gym to home = 11.33min, .55mi= 52c
    Strava app = 68c

Total cal 1095. *knees still hurt*

Picked my Dr for Medicare with Kaiser. Picked a guy that was American. The guy I had before was nice but I really had to pay attention or ask him to repeat due to his accent so I didn’t want to deal with it this time.