WOMEN AGES 50+FOR MAY 2024

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies!

Rory you sound great!

Today will be interesting. I have a doctor on video call, so I can't really watch my dad this morning. And I'm scheduled for horseback riding this afternoon, although there are thunderstorms in the forecast.

So he will be left to his own devices, and I'm nervous about that. Yesterday he wanted to go to the cemetery where my Mom's ashes are. I have a note posted reminding him that he can't walk alone per the doctor. He asked me why he can't walk alone. I said because you get lost. He replied so then I will drive and headed for the door. I had to remind him that he doesn't drive anymore. ( His keys are hidden.) I drove him over there.

So there are risks with leaving him alone, the biggest one is that he will walk away and get lost. I tried to call the senior center yesterday to see how they operate. I don't know if he can just hang out there. There is the same risk that he would walk away. They don't have security to even know who is there or when they leave.

The other side of the question is whether we should just take the risk. Even if he walks, he might just walk home. He is still quite lucid if he can hear. We could get him a GPS tracker, for a fee. He was getting lost maybe twice a month that I know of.

Meanwhile my sister is thinking about putting Dad in assisted living. I think he would get less
    attention there. But it's worth going to tour the place.

So the same old questions are rattling around in my brain. I started asking yesterday about hiring someone to walk with him. They pointed me to Facebook. So I would need to join the neighborhood group, I guess. And do the messages probably. Hmmm.

It's summer here. I turned the air conditioner on.

Have an awesome day! May you all be happy, healthy, safe and free!

Annie in Delaware

Keep trawling through Google to learn what might possibly be available and to learn as much as possible. Things like this are a learning experience.

M in Oz

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,404 Member
    Options
    Flea - simply awesome news!

Heather - is there any chance your irritable bladder is from anxiety about your upcoming surgery?

Kay - Funny story about the sheriff candidate. Perhaps since he lived on the edge for a while, he's better equipped to figure out how the bad guys think. ;) Seriously, I bet he'll be fine now that he's outgrown his wayward teen habits (perhaps he was just bored or ????) and found his niche.

Rori - thanks for stopping by and catching up. Loved hearing about your weekend with N and your "magical friendship." Does he have a brother that likes to do handyman jobs and adores chickens? :p

Machka -beautiful flooring for sure.

Tracey - that's an impressive teepee. So happy you are liking the tasks you are doing in the practicum, you'll be amazing I'm sure.

Annie- glad your sister will be there soon to help with decisions for Dad. Gosh, if there was just someone close you could trust to "babysit" and free you up a bit. I wonder if he could "buddy up" with someone at the senior center, perhaps another senior would take him under wing and keep him busy for even an hour or two. It might be worth a try. You might visit the center in person and hang out for a little bit and talk to some of the people there, explain the situation. Just tossing this out. Hugs.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    Morning all,
    We have thunderboomers coming in ,and i have a rheumatologist appt this afternoon.
    Other than that.. its status quo.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,329 Member
    Options
    John gave me a box of charcoal pencils etc for our anniversary. I decided to try them.out today. Great fun! A couple of experiments!
    4m2fa09yswz1.jpg
    ahgnd8hgadg3.jpg
    Now off for a nap.

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,525 Member
    Options
    Heather: When is the surgery? How long will you be in the hospital?

Rebecca: The floor looks great!

Debbie: Enjoyed the pictures of the kittens!

Lisa: Glad it is working out with Patrick! I hope the weather is okay!

Anna: Welcome

Annie: Wow! Your Dad is pretty fit to still be walking 3 to 4 miles a day! I know it was a hard moment when you had to take the keys from your Dad.

RV Rita: Glad you are feeling better!

Vickie: My sympathy on the loss of your friend.

Tracey: I knew a 5th grade teacher that loved 5th grade because they come in as children and leave much closer to puberty.
    She enjoyed watching the change.

I missed a week or so. I only went back 5 pages. My plants came for my garden and I have to decide where to plant them.
    I am through with the shelter. I got overwhelmed with the decluttering and had to put some boxes in my son's old bedroom. I did make it to exercise class this morning. And I have plans to stay overnight at a bed and breakfast to attend a graduation. So all is going along okay!

Thanks, I am encouraged to fix more things now!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Flea---What GREAT!!! news. So happy for you. <3
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Here they won’t do a joint replacement if there is any infection anywhere in the body. The new joint is a beacon for infection and if the infection travels there the problems can be endless.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,500 Member
    Options
    Hello, my chickens,

So... I tried a breakfast consisting of a tablespoon of pesto in a couple scrambled eggs, and it was just heavenly. I'm really struggling to get my protein in these days, and eggs are always helpful for that, but I had got to the point where I just couldn't face them in the mornings. Adding 50-100 calories of pesto to two scrambled eggs woke them right up, made them very yummy, and meant I started my day with very filling protein. At most, 240 calories, and 13 grams of that was protein. And did I say yummy? 😋

Then I got through the chores, dishes and washing and refilling the hummingbird feeder, once the rain moved out of the area. Was glad to see it move on, as Egg was being a sticker burr this morning, following me around to see if I was doing anything interesting, and then flopping on my lap every time I sat down. Like living with a bored toddler with no one to play with. And like most mornings, I had my usual half a dozen bathroom visits before 8 am, so was popping up and down like a jack-in-the-box.

Corey should be calling any time, as soon as he sits down for lunch, and then I'm headed for a nap. I was up at 4 a.m. again, and I'm fine with that, I get a lot done, but it means I lose a bit of my afternoons, too.

Heather - I like the charcoals! I made myself promise I wouldn't paint again until I got the quilt done, and it's just annoying me no end. I need to get it finished and off my brain, though.

Hope it is/was a good afternoon for all concerned. Memorial Day is coming up for the US this weekend, so we'll probably just stay home. It's high season for Corey's folks, so he'll probably have to go into work. They usually only take July 4, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day for holidays.

Later,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR

• mcmillonmail
    mcmillonmail Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello, Ladies; you are all always on the move. On Tuesday, the orthopedic doctor had me wear a boot with an air pump. Now I can walk with my foot protected. I have to handle my golden retriever. Today, I put her in day camp so I could work on things and visit my mom in memory care. I have a weighted teddy bear for her. I need to move my body as well. I am so happy because I am 6 pounds down. I hope you all have a wonderful day.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,971 Member
    Options
    :'( I have an appointment with the dentist in about an hour. The hygienist noticed a couple of possible problems and wanted the dentist to see me and get some x rays. I don't like being touched or having someone's hands in my mouth, but I want to keep my teeth. They have taken good care of me so far.

<3 Barbie in chilly NW WA
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Good afternoon, dear hearts,

As usual, one appointment blew my whole morning to smithereens, so I'm just finally getting back into my swing of things. Taken my noon meds, and hope the pain meds will kick in soon:

Joint Report:
    This was (I thought) the final medical appointment to get my ankle looked at. I damaged the Achilles tendon in my right ankle when I was 19 years old, and ended up in a cast and on crutches. This was at my first duty station in the Air Force. I had honestly forgotten about it until after I made the application to have my knees re-examined for my VA rating percentage.

So, I supplemented my first application with a second one to get my ankle looked at. It's honestly been bad ever since, but I just blamed it on my weight. They did find the injury in my records (not bad on their part, considering it was 45 years ago!), so sent me back to the independent doc to get it examined. The knee examination was a few weeks ago, same office.

For this one she wanted to check on a scan of both ankles--she'll finalize her report once those X-rays hit her desk, and unless something shows up that she's not expecting, I won't have to go back to her office again. The nuclear bone scan that showed the knees were in bad shape supported the knee application, but it only said that my feet showed damage from osteoarthritis. Since it didn't specifically say ankles, she wanted to make sure that she got views of both to back up her exam and the bone scan.

They will schedule the X-rays for me, and it shouldn't take long to sort out after that. Hopefully, I'll have a determination sometime in June, but all things considered, it could be July. No worries - my initial application went in on January 31, so if there is an increase in my rating, the difference between the 10 percent I get now and the new rating percentage will be paid back to that point. Fingers crossed it will all be worth it.

I couldn't resist while I was out and about and picked up some fresh basil. Pesto is apparently addictive, and I've gotten myself hooked. The good part is, Corey is too, so that works out. I've got garlic roasting in the oven (not traditional, but I can't cope with raw garlic...) and the house smells like an amazing Italian restaurant at the moment.

Rosemarie - Good to see you pop up, dear heart, I was about to add you to the list of those we hadn't seen in a bit, like Kylia and Joy. I must admit, I love being of an age and of a mind where I can say, "No, that's not right for me," or just "No." I do it a lot.

@jackiekost - Jackie - Welcome to the group, join any conversation or comment whenever you feel comfortable. It moves fast! We're a chatty bunch.

Rebecca -
    There is definitely a glint in Athena's eyes, as well as that expression... :smiley:

The first of the series of storms has come and gone, and I've got a few hours before the next one comes in... but it's like trying to breathe in the swamp outside, the humidity is sky high. Supposed to be four or five hours of rain cycling in every four or five hours without it into Friday morning. Can't argue with the weather...

OK, my chickens, I'm off to take a well-deserved nap. I was wide awake at 4 a.m. - the other things that appointments do to me, as I'm always afraid I'll be late.

Later,
    Love y'all!
    Lisa in AR

She is quite the character. I knew she'd be when I was visiting once and she was about 3 and every morning she'd say, "good morning, nice to meet you"! This was every morning. 😁😂. Just too cute!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Oh Flea such great news congratulations!💖👍🏼
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,500 Member
    Options
    Gah... Procrastinating getting back to that quilt by talking to y'all, and need to get the voice back that says "just do it!" I certainly don't mind it, once I get going. I'm just at that stage where I'm sick of it. As soon as I finish with y'all, I will, I swear, go in and finish at least one panel. After that, we'll see.

I just woke up from my nap, and before I could argue myself out of it, got my three basil plants repotted. I bought three really nice ones, instead of buying the quilted, pitiful basil leaves in little plastic tubs at the grocery store. The poor wilted little things would have been more expensive, in the end, and after trimming them all back and making nearly four cups of pesto, I still have three plants to grow more. I could have waited until the ones I had grew, but have I mentioned that I'm not a patient person? Yeah, I'm not a patient person. 👀😜😁

I did get my yoga done (35 minutes, 229 calories) after my scrambled egg and pesto this morning. For those who haven't seen it, in the spoiler is the list - those in green are ones where I've added exercises, or reps, or levels, as the case may be, since my last session. Yellow, in case you wanted to use it as a map, are yoga poses. Saying it's not traditional yoga is seriously understating the case. While I admire and respect it for and by other people, I find traditional yoga mind-numbingly boring. 🥱 So I changed it.😄😁😜
    5684eb32d829.png

Egg is still being a sticker burr, with the emphasis on "sticker." Check her left paw... It's just about to gently insert a reminder to get back to petting her... :smiley: She will not be happy when I head for the craft room.
    d0acudnas8mc.png

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • Whidislander
    Options
    1948CWB wrote: »
    Machka ~ I really like the floor you have chosen.

Rebecca ~ Your new cabinets look pretty with the floor.

Flea ~ So very, very happy for you.

Lisa ~ Love the color blue on the outside of your house and the planter is beautiful.

Rori ~ I think you have a winner!

Not much to say! Just saying HELLO! to all!

Carol in GA

Yes, they look pretty on the inside too. Amazing the difference between the old cabinetry of the 1980's verses these new ones. Lighter. Now that the drawers close quicker, the things have a tendency to move back. I put a shelf liner of spongy grippers but it doesn't help one bit.
    🙄
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Today’s gratitude: physical therapist hinted that, all things remaining equal, I could be done at the end of the month. Yay! Now to pull up my big girl panties and sign up for BB&B at the gym.
    Rosemarie, Kay and Rori, so good to see you posting!
    Welcome @jackiekost ! We’re happy you found us too!
    Rita wow 2.5 pedaling boats, bet not just your legs and back, but abs too! And all those steps, well done!
    Lisa hope the forecast tornadoes bypassed your property. Nephews sent videos of tornadoes near them in Red Oak IA the day before, then saw Arkansas in the path of the warnings.
    Debbie :love: your garden, please give updated pics when plants take off.
    Flea, thank GOODNESS, and thank you for sharing this news. Hard to accept that what was once impossible is now real. Rejoicing right along with you, your family and your medical team. Miracles do happen. (((hugs)))
    Rori hugs for your hurting heart.
    Evelyn I’m with you about the Young Sheldon finale, a real two fistfuls of kleenexer. Hadn’t been keeping up with it but stumbled onto Season 7 on Spectrum OnDemand. Have just reserved Season 6 from the library so I can fill in the backstory.
    Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Tracey WOW 60 students in a tipi, reminds me of stuffing my VW bug back in the sixties ;) Are there any year ‘round schools nearby that could use your help?
    Totally understand not wanting to start a job in any field but that in which you have worked so hard to become certified.
    Machka here the Goodwill is the pricey “thrift” shop, and the one supporting the animal shelter does the same color coding thing with everything in the shop. One week it will be green tags 25% off, red tags 50%, the next week it will be yellow tags 25% off, green tags 50% off. That having been said, since I’m so round, narrow shouldered, short waisted I don’t often find things that fit. Not many PXL’s ;)
    Lanette good suggestion to Annie to hang out a bit at the senior center. She might find someone else struggling as she is, who could swap “dad-sitting/play dates.”
    Heather, I really admire your spirit of art exploration!
    Monique conVERY gratulations on the 6 lbs. Hope a day at doggie daycare will help your golden burn off any excess energy so you’ll be able to walk her in your new boot.

Speaking of walking, Joe took Shadow to the mailbox today. Yay for him and her but it broke poor Tumble’s heart to be left behind. After a few angry barks, she put her head back and howled like a coyote. She got to me so I leashed her up and took her down the drive and along the lane in the opposite direction. At 35 pounds Tumble pulls like a sled dog, much harder than Shadow. But we practiced not moving when she pulled, moving when she eased up and treating when she voluntarily heeled. Worked pretty well, would work better if it were a daily practice ;{
    Two humming birds have been fighting over the feeder outside the study window. I was just about to open the window and try to smack the aggressor, when they settled down on opposite perches and drank deep. Could they have picked up on my intent? Quien sabe.
    Time to get up and make experimental chili lime honey dressing for Mexican slaw. Wish me luck!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    Move more than yesterday steps, PT, fuel better than yesterday, live NOW.
    Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2024: Strengthen: body, mind, heart-connections.

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    Options
    FleaHappy Dance on your test results!!!