What's on your mind?

Options

Replies

• jbs116
    jbs116 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    IslandGal3 wrote: »
    This is very disappointing.
    After at least 10yrs of paying for premium, this will end that.
    Why would I open my profile to the world?
    May need to just leave.
    This makes me sad. 😔

Edit: having a friends list and having the newsfeed was basically the only reason I stayed here so long.
    Same. I am premium as well.
    I have been here since 2010. A lot of my friends have been here for years as well. Some come here to the forums/community. Other’s don’t.
    We use our newsfeed to share more personal stories with the friends we choose to add. Struggles, victories, what’s going on with our families. Or just a simple good morning. I’m not coming here to do that or open my activity feed to the world. That is what you are doing with a public profile.
    Another step in the wrong direction, MFP.

This is a sad step. I don't think MFP is shutting down the Newsfeed because they want to. "the Newsfeed was one of our oldest features that had many flaws and was no longer sustainable to support." It's been apparent for years that they do not have the resources to support it. I am guessing their resources continue to diminish and they have to pull the plug on things that take up said resources and do not generate revenue. Although, it looks like this move will cause many Premium members to cancel.
  • itchmyTwitch
    itchmyTwitch Posts: 4,019 Member
    Options
    gillylucky wrote: »
    It was designed as a weight loss app. I find the change backlash in a way comical (may or may not be the right word). However, I do feel sorry that many of you have invested much more into the app.

woo
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options
    jbs116 wrote: »
    IslandGal3 wrote: »
    This is very disappointing.
    After at least 10yrs of paying for premium, this will end that.
    Why would I open my profile to the world?
    May need to just leave.
    This makes me sad. 😔

Edit: having a friends list and having the newsfeed was basically the only reason I stayed here so long.
    Same. I am premium as well.
    I have been here since 2010. A lot of my friends have been here for years as well. Some come here to the forums/community. Other’s don’t.
    We use our newsfeed to share more personal stories with the friends we choose to add. Struggles, victories, what’s going on with our families. Or just a simple good morning. I’m not coming here to do that or open my activity feed to the world. That is what you are doing with a public profile.
    Another step in the wrong direction, MFP.

This is a sad step. I don't think MFP is shutting down the Newsfeed because they want to. "the Newsfeed was one of our oldest features that had many flaws and was no longer sustainable to support." It's been apparent for years that they do not have the resources to support it. I am guessing their resources continue to diminish and they have to pull the plug on things that take up said resources and do not generate revenue. Although, it looks like this move will cause many Premium members to cancel.
    insightful fr
  • R3d_butt3rfly_
    R3d_butt3rfly_ Posts: 1,563 Member
    Options
    Why does this feel like a really bad break up?😭💔

I am sad. This place has been a learning tool for me. Not just fitness wise but I've learned so much about myself. I've met many wonderful humans here. I haven't been active on here as much anymore but knowing I'll be losing friends who've been with me on my personal journey from pregnancies, to heartbreak, to finding happiness within myself, to so much more. A decade of friendships is special and I will always hold that dear to my heart.
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,181 Member
    Options
    It was designed as a weight loss app. I find the change backlash in a way comical (may or may not be the right word). However, I do feel sorry that many of you have invested much more into the app.

It’s crazy that some people have used this site for things other than weight loss and fitness purposes isn’t it?! I wouldn’t have believed it had I not seen it for myself.
  • spider_mark51959
    spider_mark51959 Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    @Betty I don't know how you make the claim that the news feed is not used by many. This is the place where I check in with my friends, cheer them on, pray with, send condolences, etc. This makes the site worth using for over 10 years now. I only use the web version. I can't even get the mobile app to load.
    This is so disappointing to me and many on this discussion thread are on my friends list.
  • AllaboutDaCake
    AllaboutDaCake Posts: 631 Member
    Options

2caqdz3mtavk.gif
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,323 Member
    Options
    MelG7777 wrote: »

It’s crazy that some people have used this site for things other than weight loss and fitness purposes isn’t it?! I wouldn’t have believed it had I not seen it for myself.

Hey now.. I resemble that remark. 🤔

😆
  • MelG7777
    edited May 23
    Options
    Plot twist: mfp is just saying this to bring us all together. Like in a sitcom, when a kid gets sick and the parents were gonna get divorced but come back together. Mfp is our sick kid.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,644 Member
    Options
    Why are all of you leeeeeeeeeeaving meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee? :(

(I don't have friends or do the newsfeed. I just hang on the community boards.)
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,836 Member
    edited May 24
    Options
    Betty wrote: »
    Hi y’all, 

Wanted to first acknowledge that saying good bye to any feature is hard, and I too am sad to see the Newsfeed ride off into the sunset. I do feel strongly that social interaction is important for a lot of folks on what can often be a lonely and difficult journey and having friends cheering you on can make a difference. 

I’ll be transparent that the Newsfeed was one of our oldest features that had many flaws and was no longer sustainable to support. While it was not used by many we understand that it’s a real loss for those who used it.
    While it is not perfect, due to some limitations like no friend or follow features in the Community, our team enabled the Community Activity Feed on profiles within the community as it was an existing feature available from our forum providers. Some of you may even remember seeing it briefly back in 2021 when we updated the Community.
    The community profiles only have two options Public or Private, and the Private option makes the Activity Feed unviewable by others. The next best alternative to utilizing the Activity Feed would be to create a Private Group to invite your friends to and interact with them there.
    I know these options don’t “replace” the Newsfeed by any means, but we hope they help give some members some options to interact with others outside of topic driven discussions.

“Not used by many” is flat out wrong. Most users prefer the newsfeed to the forums, many rarely or never use the forums at all (I being 1 of them). The newsfeed is a safe place that we use to invite only those who WE feel fit into our own little world/friend group. The forum is rife with weirdos, stalkers, trouble makers and drama. You are opening up your users especially the women to more abuse. There have been many times users (men) have posted nude photos, others post hate speech or other inappropriate things ands it’s taken hours for mods to remove it. This is a poor decision.

I second this.

I do like using the forums. But it isn’t always a “safe space” for some demographics.

If this move away from the newsfeed is accompanied by additional forum moderation?
    That would be great.
    Esp in regards to zapping the unwanted Richard Photos, but also things like hate speech. I know it can be a fine line sometimes, but I have seen some people say some sketchy stuff, on a discussion that has low engagement, so getting 5 flags to alert a moderator is unlikely.
    That, imo, is an issue that needs addressing.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    MelG7777 wrote: »
    Plot twist: mfp is just saying this to bring us all together. Like in a sitcom, when a kid gets sick and the parents were gonna get divorced but come back together. Mfp is our sick kid.

.... or maybe it's like one of those movies from the 70's where the scantily clad, lonely housewife calls for a plumber and the guy shows up... but never really ever gets around to repairing the garbage disposal ??
  • honey_honey_12
    honey_honey_12 Posts: 14,012 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I have 20,494 posts, 17,862 visits and 40.0K points

Don't I at least get to cash'em in for something?

Like skeeball tickets at Chuckie Cheeze ??

Something? .... Anything??

Drat.

Not a damn thing.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,452 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I have 20,494 posts, 17,862 visits and 40.0K points

Don't I at least get to cash'em in for something?

Like skeeball tickets at Chuckie Cheeze ??

Something? .... Anything??

Drat.

Ive got just under 270,000 posts, I think I deserve something 😂🤣
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options
    Maybe if the entire internet implodes we'd all be happier
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options
    Also.

will the mods be replaced by modbots who repeat the press release nearly verbatim? If so, how do they choose their names?
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options
    An honest tarot reading: same *kitten*, different day
  • MelG7777
    Options
    I love the new feature😍It’s so efficient.
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options
    I accidentally sent a text about a person to the person. It's nothing I haven't said to them directly many many times but still