Meeting your daily iron goal?

Options
2»

Replies

• m0dizzle
    m0dizzle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Quakers cereal squares have a ton of iron and are delicious.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I hit my micro nutrients every day and am over 100% for my iron needs by making myself a vegetable/fruit morning smoothie. You can look into my diary for the ingredients.
    Stef.
  • Coll_OB
    Coll_OB Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    To everyone saying that it is the % of the daily recommended amount is wrong. It is set to 100mg which is way too much - you can check this by looking at the iron value on a food you have logged. For instance a large boiled egg has 0.6mg of iron (Google) and when I look at the iron content on MFP it lists it as 0.6% of my daily iron goal.

This seems to be extremely careless of MFP as people are obviously thinking that they aren't getting enough by not hitting the target and subsequently over eating iron rich foods to compensate for it

• Iwantahealthierme30
    Options
    Oatmeal has 45%, on days I eat oatmeal, I always go over my iron because I have two 29g packages. That's the only tip I have.
  • silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I used to be vegetarian but got anemic...so now I take a multivitamin daily and have good quality beef regularly and my lab work is all normal now.
  • Gerbil184
    Gerbil184 Posts: 2 Member
    edited May 24
    Options
    I have an opinion and I was wondering what other people think about it. MFP is used a lot by people wanting to lose weight. If they add a food or a recipe to the database they concentrate on calories, fat, sugar and possibly protein. How many foods do you see on here that don’t have the iron, salt, cholesterol or vitamins logged? So I think that I generally get more of those than MFP says. It’s really hard to hit my daily targets in anything except calories, fat and sugar, if I up the protein it tends to come with fat. But if people entered ALL the nutrition info instead of just what matters to them then I think we would all see our iron intake stats go up. What do you think?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,573 Member
    Options
    Gerbil184 wrote: »
    I have an opinion and I was wondering what other people think about it. MFP is used a lot by people wanting to lose weight. If they add a food or a recipe to the database they concentrate on calories, fat, sugar and possibly protein. How many foods do you see on here that don’t have the iron, salt, cholesterol or vitamins logged? So I think that I generally get more of those than MFP says. It’s really hard to hit my daily targets in anything except calories, fat and sugar, if I up the protein it tends to come with fat. But if people entered ALL the nutrition info instead of just what matters to them then I think we would all see our iron intake stats go up. What do you think?

Why not start an own thread instead of dragging a zombie thread up from the depths of MFP?

But to answer your question: Nutritional info differs by country. None of the vitamins you mention are listed here, no iron, cholesterol, etc. some countries use salt, others sodium, even the type of fats available on labels differs. And yeah, some people might just not mind. Make your own entries, keep them private or share them.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,884 Member
    Options
    Yes, zombie thread.

Also: Wanting other people to do things we want them to do, but that they aren't interested in doing? That's a plan that's likely to fail, seems like.

Lietchi suggested a method that you can use yourself to get the results you want: Higher odds of success, remodeling your own behavior, vs. aspiring to remodel other people's behavior.

Also, if you want protein sources with less fat, take a look at this thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

Protein doesn't automatically come with lots of fat, I'd say. I eat moderately high protein (0.8g minimum daily per pound of goal weight, usually get closer to 1g/pound, but have to pay close attention to be sure I reach my minimum fat goal (0.4g per pound minimum daily).
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Chick peas, edamame, black beans, pumpkin seeds, lentils, sesame seeds 👍