What's on your mind?

Options

Replies

• kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,210 Member
    Options
    Whether or not I should create an IG account…

• MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,184 Member
    Options
    I love that the mfp “updates” are actually pushing people to use other apps. Great marketing.😂
  • itchmyTwitch
    itchmyTwitch Posts: 4,019 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna go clean up my IG account

• R3d_butt3rfly_
    R3d_butt3rfly_ Posts: 1,569 Member
    Options
    I'll be traveling this weekend to see family. I have been avoiding this trip tbh. There's a few things that have kept me away for about a year and it's time I faced it. Not looking forward to it 😞
  • Betty
    Betty Posts: 8,858 MFP Staff
    Options
    Betty wrote: »
    Hi y’all, 

Wanted to first acknowledge that saying good bye to any feature is hard, and I too am sad to see the Newsfeed ride off into the sunset. I do feel strongly that social interaction is important for a lot of folks on what can often be a lonely and difficult journey and having friends cheering you on can make a difference. 

I’ll be transparent that the Newsfeed was one of our oldest features that had many flaws and was no longer sustainable to support. While it was not used by many we understand that it’s a real loss for those who used it.
    While it is not perfect, due to some limitations like no friend or follow features in the Community, our team enabled the Community Activity Feed on profiles within the community as it was an existing feature available from our forum providers. Some of you may even remember seeing it briefly back in 2021 when we updated the Community.
    The community profiles only have two options Public or Private, and the Private option makes the Activity Feed unviewable by others. The next best alternative to utilizing the Activity Feed would be to create a Private Group to invite your friends to and interact with them there.
    I know these options don’t “replace” the Newsfeed by any means, but we hope they help give some members some options to interact with others outside of topic driven discussions.

“Not used by many” is flat out wrong. Most users prefer the newsfeed to the forums, many rarely or never use the forums at all (I being 1 of them). The newsfeed is a safe place that we use to invite only those who WE feel fit into our own little world/friend group. The forum is rife with weirdos, stalkers, trouble makers and drama. You are opening up your users especially the women to more abuse. There have been many times users (men) have posted nude photos, others post hate speech or other inappropriate things ands it’s taken hours for mods to remove it. This is a poor decision.

I second this.

I do like using the forums. But it isn’t always a “safe space” for some demographics.

If this move away from the newsfeed is accompanied by additional forum moderation?
    That would be great.
    Esp in regards to zapping the unwanted Richard Photos, but also things like hate speech. I know it can be a fine line sometimes, but I have seen some people say some sketchy stuff, on a discussion that has low engagement, so getting 5 flags to alert a moderator is unlikely.
    That, imo, is an issue that needs addressing.

@MargaretYakoda Hi, thanks for the insights. The absolute best way to get a post in front of a moderator is to use the "Report" option. That immediately puts it in a queue for us to review. Granted it does not hide it from the forums like 5 spam or 5 abuse flags do, but it guarantees that a human will look at the report and take action if needed.

There is a fine balance between too much moderation and not enough moderation that any community tries to walk. We've always relied on member reports vs staff/mods seeking out bad behavior because in general our community members are awesome and have found the self report option to be favorable.
    If y'all are finding more moderation is needed here we are absolutely on board to facilitate that.

For example we can bring on more "Spam Moderators" who have the power to hide a post with one flag. Happy to work with y'all on how we can make the Community feel like a safer place to be.
  • honey_honey_12
    honey_honey_12 Posts: 14,078 Member
    Options
    More moderation on the forums is just what might tip the scale to lose even more people than those already leaving.
    I’ve been on this site since 2012.
    Nothing good will come from more rules.
    Of course, that’s just my opinion.
  • itchmyTwitch
    Options
    More moderation on the forums is just what might tip the scale to lose even more people than those already leaving.

In my opinion the problem with moderation has always been that it is unevenly applied. Who gets censored for having a bit of cleavage showing seems to depend on popularity and the size of the breast.
  • honey_honey_12
    Options

In my opinion the problem with moderation has always been that it is unevenly applied. Who gets censored for having a bit of cleavage showing seems to depend on popularity and the size of the breast.

Yep, I always noticed there was certain cleavage that wasn’t a problem, ever.

It takes a lot, I assume, to rummage through people’s newsfeeds looking for inappropriate pics or whatever.
    Maybe just get rid of it. 🤨

So many grown adults so easily offended. 🙄
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,184 Member
    Options

Yep, I always noticed there was certain cleavage that wasn’t a problem, ever.

It takes a lot, I assume, to rummage through people’s newsfeeds looking for inappropriate pics or whatever.
    Maybe just get rid of it. 🤨

So many grown adults so easily offended. 🙄
    I second the unequally moderated cleavage. Some people use multiple images for years. Mine gets me a warning and banned from posting pics for several weeks. lol.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,851 Member
    Options

To be clear: I don’t care about cleavage.
    But The Full Monty?
    Needing five flags before it gets taken down? So it stayed up for hours?

I’m no prude but I don’t think that’s appropriate for a public forum.

• Kashmir__314
    Kashmir__314 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

Uh oh. Dis me :#
  • itchmyTwitch
    edited May 24
    Options

I like your popular cleavage

No monties though please
  • Kashmir__314
    Options

No monties though please

My popular cleavage has restricted me from visiting Japan. Thankfully I live in a trashy state lololol
  • jbs116
    jbs116 Posts: 758 Member
    Options

No monties though please

My popular cleavage has restricted me from visiting Japan. Thankfully I live in a trashy state lololol

Konnichiwa!
  • Kashmir__314
    Options
    jbs116 wrote: »

No monties though please

Konnichiwa!

5a2zvcpb4cql.gif
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,507 Member
    edited May 24
    Options

No monties though please

Is it too late for a friend request ??
  • PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,850 Member
    Options
    Too many people have private profiles. How am I supposed to play on random people’s activities this way? 😤
  • Kashmir__314
    edited May 24
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

No monties though please

Is it too late for a friend request ??

I'm still trying figure out what exactly is going on with mfp. All I know is a lot of people aren't very happy

Oh
    Hiiiii :smile:

Are friendships allowed? Do we have "restrictions?" You know I don't like to be restricted
  • honey_honey_12
    Options

To be clear: I don’t care about cleavage.
    But The Full Monty?
    Needing five flags before it gets taken down? So it stayed up for hours?

I’m no prude but I don’t think that’s appropriate for a public forum.

In the Chit Chat forum?
    I’ve never seen that.
    Only the russian bots
  • jbs116
    jbs116 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Plenty of excitement on MFP without a newsfeed! Master debaters!
    0a7ybu7qlgy0.png