Half my body weight

Options
I need to lose half my body weight in order to be a healthy weight. I need lots of low calorie options that Will fill me up. If I'm hungry I have a hard time staying away from the fridge and I eat and eat till I feel full. I feel I should also add in I'm diabetic so I do have to be careful what I eat.

Answers

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Options
    Well - we can't really pick your food for you.

Just eat the food you can eat and like to eat in the portions that will fit within your calorie Goals.

Log your food, study your FOOD diary every day and make adjustments. If you pre-log before you eat something you'll know how to cut back on the size of your portions.

It's just something you have to commit to do every day...and stick to it.

Here's a Group you can join if you like - or just read if you'd rather - for people with quite a lot of weight to lose, see if you can glean anything from them. Good people. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133315-larger-losers

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    Here’s an active group of diabetic folks that I have found to be helpful.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group

As for eating until you feel full, this conversation is a good read.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10563959/volume-eaters-thread/p1

Some advice and words of encouragement:
    As you learn more about what works best for you, it gets easier. A lot easier. So stick with it. You won’t regret it.

Things that work for me:
    Sugar free gum
    Single serve nuts, cheese, etc. The single serve package makes it much easier to log the calories precisely, and many people report that protein helps keep hunger and cravings down.

You may also want to consider taking up a hobby that occupies your hands.
    Knitting, model building, or paint by numbers are the sort of things that can make mindless snacking more difficult.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,884 Member
    Options
    If you ask me (which no one did ;) ), @PAV8888 posts are always worth reading. That one was extra good.

Seven stars out of 5, good advice. Do It. Do. It.

Good advice from @MargaretYakoda, too: Always solid, especially when it comes to things like diabetes and movement limitations.

I "only" lost a bit less than a third of my body weight, have kept it off for around 8 years so far. Totally worth the effort, in quality of life improvement. (That's just the subjective stuff, without even considering the objectively massively improved health markers, redlined then to solidly healthy now.)

Only giving up results in failure. Keep going. Try something, it doesn't work? Not failure. Just another thing to check off as not your personal best plan: A good learning experience. Try something else. Keep. Going. You can find the right plan for YOU.

I want that for you, even though we're total strangers. It's soooo worth the effort!

• HappyDonkey75
    HappyDonkey75 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice here. One thing that I am learning as I have gotten much more disciplined and serious about my weight loss goals is that commitment word. Somedays its getting through the next hour without giving into temptation. I have started journaling and keeping very close track of my food. I also meal plan atleast 3 meals a week. Lunches /breakfast are easy.

Its definitely a mental game . For those of us with the issue of eating until we are feeling full (likely overfull) I have found using metamucil for the afternoon really helps. me (when I get the cravings for seets, bad foods) I eat a reasonable lunch and then have a glass of metamucil and that gets me to dinner most of the time without feeling like I need that afternoon snack
    Hope that helps
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    google, low calorie healthy recipes.. snacks.. and simply the list of the lowest calorie foods. Get ideas from what you learn..and choose foods you know you'll like.. Start there.
  • Blueto88
    Blueto88 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a very simple formula. Really, it is. It consists of three things.

1. Decrease intake.
    2. Increase activity.
    3. Discipline.

That's it. All I did was count carbs, nothing else. But guess which one of those three is the most important. Number 3. It's entirely a mental game. Most people eat more than their body needs, it's habit. Some people specifically go to eating for comfort. You need to start working on your awareness and your cravings. You can overcome them, it's a practice.

When I was losing weight I would get cravings, so I would have a cup of tea or coffee and would forget about it. I also focused on the positive aspects of what I was trying to achieve. Stay connected to positive motivations, let go of thoughts of missing out. Once you start mastering your own mind, anything is possible.