60 yrs and up

Options

Replies

• Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,441 Member
    Options
    @ridiculous59 thank you so much for that perspective I think I'll put a hold on it. The payment just came out so I have a whole month before it gets put on hold. I do have a problem holding on to trying to keep doing things I've always done & enjoyed them but when things change I think if I don't keep doing the same things it's a negative thing instead of just a change
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,889 Member
    edited June 30
    Options
    Welcome, new participants in the thread: I hope we'll see more from you regularly on here, as you work your way toward your goals!

Gosh, it's been a while since I posted: June is busy. I've been doing my usual rowing 4 mornings a week, 2 of those days with coaching from the university crew club's coach. The coaching has been super helpful! Those sessions can be a bit longer, and we usually finish with some more intense intervals.

In addition, I've been volunteering 4 evenings a week with our learn-to-row class, sort of an assistant coach role. Now that that's done, I'll be supervising our 2 nights a week open rowing sessions (when members can come out and row, with volunteers to help carry boats and such).
    Those go on for the rest of the season (maybe through October?) but I don't necessarily need to be there personally every time.

On the medical front, things are looking less worrisome with the rib pain I've had for months. The physical therapists my osteopath sent me to have a theory that it's related to weird breathing patterns that are causing pain/spasms probably in my diaphragm (!?!), and exercises for that are seeming to help. They're also going to work on some shoulder blade/rib mobility issues that may be contributing.

I also got my 6-month re-CT-scan to look at some small lung nodules that the radiologist thought looked benign, but that were a worry because of my cancer history. It took 22 days after the scan to get the radiologist report this time! But it held good news: No change in the nodules. We'll rescan again in a year. I was hopeful about this, since I have literally zero breathing symptoms, even during pretty intense exercise. Reassuring to have it confirmed, though.

Here's an example of how the rowing looks (faces anonymized except for me, 2nd from right). All the folks in orange are 55+, I and the guy to my right are 60+. (The woman in blue is a Big 10 Champion rower, now in her 30s. One of the fun things about rowing is that people of different strength/skill levels can row together enjoyably.)

et95yxmuetfx.jpg

Thrive on, everyone . . . and let us know how you're doing, eh? :flowerforyou:
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Greetings, all you seasoned citizens.

I finally got my mind right and I'm starting to lose the pounds slowly. Logging food and weight every day. Reminding myself that it's alright to be a bit hungry at times.

Hang in there, my friends.

That's good news, @alteredsteve175! It's great to hear from you. Hang in there yourself, OK, and check in when you can.

All the best!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    @Evamutt, you can bookmark this thread to make it easier to find.

In web browser MFP, click on the little ribbon-looking thing at the upper right of the thread's posts (circled in red below). That creates the bookmark. Then, when you want to look at the thread, you can click on "Bookmarks" (also circled) anywhere in the MFP Community that you can see it, and it will give you a list of all threads you've bookmarked.

973yc2p8ldgd.jpg

In phone/tablet MFP, creating the bookmark is the same. What is different is that to see the threads you've bookmarked, you first click on your avatar photo at the upper right on most pages, then "Bookmarks" will be on the list of options for you to click.

Here's how you bookmark (circled), and the avatar photo (at arrow) on my phone.

5022iwpihjt5.png

Here's what comes up when you click on the avatar photo, with the "Bookmarks" option circled.

f8pvuao67p6q.png
  • Evamutt
    Options
    @AnnPT77 It is bookmarked already, I double checked it to make sure. MFP has been acting up lately. Besides not being able to add new foods that aren't already on my food list, I can't accept or decline friend requests most of the time
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited July 1
    Options
    @MargaretYakoda. The loss of the Newsfeed has made me very sad also. I found this thread while searching for some of my old friends.

I wonder what the reasoning was for getting rid of it?

On a separate note, your kitten is adorable!
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Nice to see everyone here! There were no posts for 10 days, thought everyone abandoned MFP! Good news on your medical front, @AnnPT77. You can breathe easier now, even though you said you had no issues on that, meant in a relaxation way :) . And @alteredsteve175 glad to see you here. I've finally focused on a better mindset too, after I got back from a vacation where I gained about 6 pounds It was hard to get back into the swing of things! Finally there, and enjoying the progress. Scary part is I'm headed to a remote bush camp for the summer again, where all the other people are half my age or younger, and all like big meat and potato type meals. Not big vegetable eaters. Think I'll be prepping my own food! Love the kitty pics above, and envious of dog walkers, I don't have a dog right now but have been looking, for just the right one. Hope all of you keep up the posts here, I skip the home page with no news feed any more, and after logging my food I come here, to see how everyone is doing! Be safe, be happy, be healthy!
  • Evamutt
    Options
    I was able to find ya'll because there were new comments. Nothing new to say except I took my grand dog home from her visit with us since last Thursday. I wanted to take her to the dog park with us this morning before she went home. It wasn't easy. She's high energy so I tethered her in the back of the suv so she wouldn't jump out soon as I opened the door at the dog park. I got my 6 dogs out first then went to get her out. I have to be careful because when she runs she doesn't pay attention & can run into me. I felt bad taking her home because she spends most of her time outside. They let her in the air conditioned laundry room that opens to the garage on hot days. Our dogs have the run of the house & each have their favorite spots inside to relax. I don't know why people get dogs if they keep them outside
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,868 Member
    Options
    @alteredsteve175 Good to see you back!

@BCLadybug888 Belated Happy Canada Day! ❤️ 🇨🇦 I feel like any time I go off course, I gain. And it takes forever to lose. I previously lost 90 pounds and gained 20 back. Losing those 20 have been harder than I could have imagined! But we persist, so at least we haven't given up. And oh yes, the adult beverages are always a temptation.

@Evamutt I agree with you on the "outside dog" people. I realize that there are dogs who prefer being outside due to their breed instincts (livestock guardian dogs like Pyrenees, for example), but generally speaking, why get a dog if it's not going to be part of your family? I'm still trying to wrap my head around having SIX dogs though 😆 I have two larger dogs and often look after one of the grand-dogs, so that's quite enough doggy-ness for me haha

I'm still plugging away at a 0 to 5k program. I started it 3 months ago but between holidays and other weak excuses, I fell behind. I can now run for 25 minutes straight. Will I out run a bear on the trail? Heck no. Is it pretty to watch? Again, heck no. But doing the program all the way through is a little gift to myself for turning 65 🙂
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Last Thursday was my last day of work so this is my 1st week of retirement, but this isn’t a typical week with the 4th in the middle of it. I am switching to a newer computer so that took up most of my time yesterday. We had to file for a tax extension due to my mother’s death last year and estate taxes being delayed. So, I will have to work on taxes again now too. I am finding I really can’t set up a healthy routine but that doesn’t mean I can’t improve things. We have a small family trip later in the month and my family will be gone 1 weekend too but I am staying home. I will concentrate on working on things so that I can establish a better schedule next month. I will for now look to improve meals and upping exercise and activity level.

I will be logging food but it really isn’t calories that I am concentrating on. I have a good sense of how much I can eat but it is really what I eat that I find is important to me to lose weight. I have been researching what foods are good for me and which to avoid. Some food with healthy fats and fruits are high in calories but they are what I need now. Of course, vegetables are important, and I will make sure I get enough protein. I am hoping to up exercise ever week. I have osteopenia so although I will continue with Aquafit I am adding in more weight bearing/training exercise. Anyway I have been able to lose when I don’t work full time by being able to cook and exercise more. I gain when I am working full time. However that doesn't mean I don’t have to work at it.

@Siashini My son lives in Houston and they had that weird windstorm that has hurricane force winds go through his neighborhood this late spring. They only lost their electricity for just under a week and had a leaning fence but several trees in their neighborhood had trees fall on them. However, there was a heat wave too so they had to move to a hotel. Not easy with a baby. They are looking more seriously to move back here to the PNW.

@iclark04957 I am working at getting more active again. I just retired the last week in June.
    @meleaherrin I do not have even pre-diabetes but my blood sugar levels are higher than before. I have arteritis pain in my knees too. So have some limitations with getting stronger.

@AnnPT77 I am encouraged by your relating how getting your weight to a healthy level helped your osteoarthritis. I agree that exercise is optional for weight loss but for me it is the combination of cooking/eating healthy meals at home and exercise that works for me. However exercise is needed as well for other health issues too.

@Evamutt I am 71 and I felt myself getting weaker since I turned 70 too. I am going to work at getting my activity and exercise up. I feel too that I want to know why about this and other health issues. I feel that some medical treatment. Doesn’t hit the cause but only the symptoms. I think that @AnnPT77 makes a good point about de-training when we are older and getting back our stamina more slowly. I have had some surgery too a while ago and although I recovered well when I got busy at work and didn’t exercise as much I really feel a lot weaker and don’t get back my stamina as easy.

@iclark04957 Glad you had a good week of restart.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Hi, All -

She said my cholesterol levels are "phenomenal", which is pretty wonderful: One of the things that got me to commit to weight loss was high cholesterol plus not wanting to take a statin.

This is what I am doing now. I have always had higher cholesterol even when I was thinner and fitter. But I am now planning to try and lower it naturally without starting on statins. They have learned more about cholesterol from when I 1st started working on trying to lower it. They used to have you stop eating foods with cholesterol which are healthy for you like eggs. It is really those foods that cause your body to produce it that you need to avoid like those with unhealthy fats (trans fat etc.). Yes there are some fats that I will be avoiding but I am not going to avoid good fats. I will be trying to lose weight and get more exercise.
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Congrats on fully retiring @KeriA! And the new computer 🙂, sounds like you have a good grasp of what you want to accomplish next, much success to you as you implement and refine your plan.
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    @ridiculous59, cannot stop imagining you prettily running away from a bear down some trail now 😆 🤣