Why are they taking the newsfeed away?

Options

Answers

• snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,738 Member
    edited 8:03PM
    Options
    I to miss the newsfeed to say no one used it is a line of crap. It kept me connected and supported. Bring it back I highly doubt it why would they no one uses it!
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,861 Member
    Options
    Bialetti62 wrote: »
    Same here.Every day I was inspired by a friend. Looking for another app.
    I just the Newsfeed almost daily, and they say no one used it.

There’s a group of us on My Net Diary.
    https://www.mynetdiary.com/community/groups/65401
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Googling MFP, here is the new CEO, come aboard in January 2024:

https://athletechnews.com/myfitnesspal-appoints-new-ceo-collabs-with-kate-hudson/#:~:text=Private equity firm Francisco Partners,countries since launching in 2005.

This site shows the company profile. I can't read it all because you have to log in. Scroll down it says there are 6 board members. 17 people on the executive team. Also a partial visible list of investors. It has the address of the corporate office (Houston TX0 but the phone number is blurred out unless you can log in.:

https://pitchbook.com/profiles/company/58378-42#faqs

From the partial investors list I see, it comes across to me as individuals and companies mostly interested in profiting off their investments, not focusing on the MFP site itself or what the public it serves is looking for. In my opinion, the original purpose of the site to help enhance people's health (while of course also profiting) has shifted over to mostly the profit end. They are not listening to the members who use the site. Was there statistical proof that the news feed was not used very much, or just assumptions? Considering all the threads in the forums asking to bring it back, seems they are wrong. So many have said that the news feed was one of the main reasons they liked this site, any site can offer calorie, macros and weight tracking. The News Feed personalized it and was populated by people you bonded with for a mutual quest, comaraderie, encouragement and a virtual pat on the back for successes.

I'd like to think that the board, the executive team, and the CEO would be looking at the complaints, and the numbers of people leaving this site because of the change. As premium users quit paying and depart, maybe they might actually notice their profits taking a hit. Not exactly what their investors are looking for. The current changes are not improvements, but are driving people away. Sad, MFP.

Wonder if this will get deleted.
  • Berriesweet26
    Berriesweet26 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree. I was here because I could cheer on my friends and we could do this together and see each other's wins. We posted pics w/ recipes to each other and now we can't. The only reason I'm still here is because I'm paid up through the rest of the year, but I definitely won't be renewing. I'll switch to the baritastic app. It's free, you can chat with friends and you can scan your food in or use a talk mic to add foods.
  • 75vbls
    75vbls Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 27
    Options
    What happened to the newsfeed?
  • espear876
    espear876 Posts: 13 Member
    edited June 27
    Options
    I wish I knew.. makes this app totally different without it.
  • MzGrinch9250
    MzGrinch9250 Posts: 376 Member
    edited June 27
    Options
    There is an Activity Feed; however, you have to go to the Community page and then click on your user name underneath your photo. The Activity Feed is now a public forum; but not sure how that works.
  • mlwhite58
    mlwhite58 Posts: 2 Member
    edited June 27
    Options
    Dropping Newsfeed absolutely ticks me off. It was a quick way for me to connect with what folks I follow are doing. Now you expect me to go through multiple other steps just to see any others, if they want to participate in such additional setup, etc. Thanks for nothing! I really don't like having that readily viewable with one action on my part as opposedto this weeklyupdatebusinesswhere i have to open multiple links and then scroll to the bottom of the final"page" in that sequence. BTW, the replacement PLANS "button" is useless for me.
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I get a message that "something went wrong" and I'm kicked out. Wish they'd fix these things!
  • Rxman1971
    Rxman1971 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Totally miss the newsfeed. I don't feel as motivated I know this is on me but miss the atta boys that came with the newsfeed
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,651 Member
    edited June 27
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply Lietchi, I appreciate it. :)
    May I ask then how do we see our friends progress if the newsfeed is no longer there?

With great difficulty. MFP tried to promote this:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10915268/welcome-to-your-activity-feed#latest

But it's not even close to a replacement of the newsfeed.

Not only is it not even close, it doesn't even work properly, this is what I get when I follow the instructions there (note I have no activity bit)

93229cp6quqa.png

• __Di__
    edited June 27
    Options
    Why did MfFP remove the feed?! Clearly, as I read these comments, it was an important feature. I want to keep up with my actual pals, not message forums! Now, we can’t support each other in our journey. Also, I liked seeing the articles there. I’ve been with MFP for nine years. I’m at maintenance, so now maybe it’s time to part ways. I hate to give up my nine year history, but the fact that they don’t care what we want is really disturbing.

100% in agreement, absolutely ludicrous decision they made. I used to love when I would lose weight and it would say "Di has lost **** lbs so far!" or something along those lines, now it doesn't do that, I can't see any friends' progress or their logged exercise, they can't see mine. It is meant to be MyFitness PAL, not sure where the word "pal" comes in now.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,365 Member
    edited June 27
    Options
    Did you post the wrong screenshot perhaps? The next step is clicking on either your profile picture or your user name.
  • __Di__
    edited June 27
    Options
    The line in MFP's blog re WHY they removed the newsfeed is ridiculous, I quote:

"The Newsfeed is a rarely used feature." - what the hell are they on about, the newsfeed is accessed when the person logs on, so how do they work out it was rarely used???

How would they know it was "rarely used", was there a questionnaire that went out to all members then, if there was, I didn't see it....

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    edited June 27
    Options
    __Di__ wrote: »
    The line in MFP's blog re WHY they removed the newsfeed is ridiculous, I quote:

"The Newsfeed is a rarely used feature." - what the hell are they on about, the newsfeed is accessed when the person logs on, so how do they work out it was rarely used???

How would they know it was "rarely used", was there a questionnaire that went out to all members then, if there was, I didn't see it....

*sigh*

Morning coffee just isn’t the same these days.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,357 Member
    edited June 27
    Options
    Only one group, private and very small, has any activity.

With all my ranting and raving regarding --MFP "Groups" are broken-- this is one inspiring sign of life. Thanks.

A few very verbose and consistent people who write here in the community forums conflate "threads or groups" and " threads/groups," and they know better. There seems to be some need for willful ignorance. I'd challenge them to acknowledge, as you have, that they are involved regularly in even one small group. (I have my suspicions)

Unlike Newsfeeds I'd be on my chair clapping and agreeing if the MFP company announced. "Groups is a rarely used feature." so we are going to dramatically change it. If they deleted Groups very few would mind, and if they made a very mild changes like "delete all groups where not a single member of that group has logged into MFP in the last five years." that would probably remove more than half.

Lastly, thanks again. I'm in a small group (about four people, as one just left MFP). So between us two active longtime MFP users there is that.
  • jamerican23
    jamerican23 Posts: 177 Member
    edited June 27
    Options
    Wow MFP after 14 yrs oh well thank you.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member
    edited June 27
    Options
    I’ve logged in here daily for 12 years and I’ve been friends with people here for all that time and now I can’t see them on my feed anymore. I’m devastated!