WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2024

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,416 Member
    edited July 9
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Heather ... yes, I can declutter one bit at a time. Starting with the Peace Lily plants ...Margaret might understand... that were given to me 3-1/2 years ago when my son died. I've honored them, watered them and cajoled them to live long enough. They're now ugly and they're going.

I would have this house decluttered in a heartbeat if I didn't live with two guys (husband and adult son) who keep and apparently have emotional attachments to everything. I am not of the same mind.

Beth

Peace lilies are really resilient plants ... they don't like a lot of water, and if they look like they're about to die, a little bit of water will bring them right back to life again. They also don't seem to need a lot of natural light. They're my kind of indoor plant ... easy to take care of. We have quite a few of them in our office (they are the standard office plant - you'll see at least one in just about every office you go into here) and I've got one at home. And they can be planted outside. They grow to enormous sizes outside ... great for a border along a fence, if you have a lot of them, or a feature in a corner.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,416 Member
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    I heard a great meme on Instagram today.
    'Would you be friends with the person you are dating? ' ((Or married to etc))

Good one.
    I most definitely would. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxx

current dh-the way he is now(always bitter/pissy mood)- NOPE
    former hubby- YES- we are best friends. Started as friends WAY back when I was in 7th grade, he was in 9th.

How did you and your current husband get together?

• carlakringuette
    carlakringuette Posts: 8 Member
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Good morning all you lovely ladies. I'm sittimg here watching tje sunrise. Feeling happy & content. Things are getting back to "normal" around here and it feels great.

I'm from south Louisiana. New Orleans area.

Anybody find any good healthy and tasty recipes layely?

Carla in Louisiana

Welcome Carla!
    Not from the south but did live in the Mobile,AL area(Theodore) for a bit when former hubby was stationed there. Would love to go back. Visit New Orleans and our favorite spot- Dauphin Island.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

We've been to Daupgin Island. Wonderful place. We usually go to Orange Beach.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,898 Member
    j7sanljinseh.jpeg
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,178 Member
    TraceyWhen I find the right place to live in my next phase of life. I will sell both properties. For now I am working on downsizing the property I have lived in for thirty years. Son's house is decluttered and has just some minor painting needed to be ready to be put on the market. Roof did need to be done. It would start to leak if I had waited.It would have needed to be done before I could sell it. Our home might also need a roof soon and does need some new windows. These are my next projects. Son's house has new windows.
  • mcmillonmail
    mcmillonmail Posts: 48 Member
    Hi everyone;
    I did go back to work wearing my boot. It was excruciating.. but I did a week. My foot is red from rubbing. I may need to get sheepskin for the side of my foot. I had to float to another floor, which was problematic due to the amount of walking. I had a patient in one wing and 2 in another. My babies are slow eaters. One nurse was mad at me because my baby was screaming to eat. I apologized that I was working with another one for 40 minutes in another wing. My foot was throbbing afterward.
    @auntiebk, my recipe project is a compilation of family and copycat recipes. I even have a dog food recipe book for Rose, my dog. Now, I am starting Volume 2 of my recipe books. Some have Mediterranean recipes, some are KETO, and some are cookie or dessert recipes. I thought I would scrapbook during my time off but wasn't ready.
    @Snowflake1968 I would never have thought about using the battery-powered lights to take a bath. I purchased lanterns to ensure we have emergency lights. Your lights are so pretty. I would love to stay in my pajamas and scrapbook. I should go for it. I am so behind in my scrapbooking.
    @pipcd34 I love Yogi's picture. He looks like he knows how to have fun. Sorry, I love dogs and all animals. I may take Rose to the Renaissance and let her in the sprinklers and fountain. I will have to do it early or late so it won't be too hot. It's a good excuse to move my body.
    Everyone, I hope you all are happy and enjoying summer.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,965 Member
    <3
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,565 Member
    Today’s gratitude: the abundant hot water in the gym’s shower.
    Made it to the 3rd BB&B class, got down on the floor for the mat work. Struggled to sit up diagonally, just don’t have the abs to get up. Got less than an hour of line dance class but managed to walk the dogs down to the powerline meadow before completely running out of steam.
    Heather not sure I could walk upstairs with a cup of tea in each hand. Bravissima! What you said about ultraprocessed foods. Also what you said about sugar, my downfall.
    Machka Ah sunflower seeds, when the pepitas are gone I know what I’ll be munching! ((hugs)) for your mixed feelings. ((hugs)) Joe and I were friendly acquaintances for three years before we “got together”.
    Annie your Dad’s intention to visit his childhood home made me sad. ((hugs))
    Lisa LOL! Thought I was the only one who killed aloe vera plants? Lost all but one this spring. Hope no damage/impact from the dregs of Beryl? IMHO after what you’ve been through sleep is more important than yoga. Your body heals when you sleep.
    Lanette really hope you get the temperature drop we got today. Salad and cold cuts sound way more appealing than restaurant food in the heat.
    Beth belated happy birthday? Any word of hope or timeline for your Mom’s new facility?
    What you and Margaret said about peace lilies applied to the ficus my cousin sent when Mama passed in 1996. Moved it from California to Idaho then to Oregon and avoided killing it until last month. Mixture of sad to see it go/relieved to have lighter more space/less guilt and grief.
    Carol brava for doing your exercises in prep for the 22nd. Praying all goes well at the dentist and your recovery from surgery is quick and complete.
    Rebecca your family resemblance to your grandmother is strong!
    Margaret, thanks, especially for the confirmation of every six weeks for the Interceptor and not to give it at the same time as the NexGuard. Which essential oils do you put in DrewB’s bandana?
    Rita that pasta bowl looks delish! Con VERY grats on the success of the new eating plan.
    Allie :love: this sMyles pic, prayer said for your brother. . . and for your health issues.
    Tracey yours to Machka. Perfectly caring and truthful, just like you.
    Monique what kind of work do you do with your babies?
    Jean we love classic movies and popcorn too! Praying your appointments tomorrow will be positive and helpful.
    Joe will talk to the water guy tomorrow. Fingers X’d he’ll commit to a job finish date, and keep the commitment.

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    Move more than yesterday, fuel better than yesterday, live NOW.
    Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2024: Strengthen: body, mind, heart-connections.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,693 Member
    edited July 9
    Good morning. I’ve spent so much time reading that I haven’t much time for comments.

Machka: My heart goes out to you. You have had such a time of it, dear girl. I know how attached one gets to places. I applaud your insight into how the new place will work better for both of you, while understanding the the trepidation about what may lie ahead.

It’s a dull wet day here, so will crack on with getting rid of some of my ‘overwhelm’. It serves no purpose except to clog up space.

🤗🤗🤗 and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,545 Member
    edited July 9
    John went off for his afternoon walk yesterday afternoon. I had expressed disappointment that our local butcher had not managed to source good Scotch Eggs since his old supplier cancelled. The only place that makes homemade, artisan, SEs in Hove is the very posh butcher in the centre. The chilli and coriander ones are amazing.
    He came back with his hair cut :D (it really needed it) and two SEs from Canhams. <3B) He walked both ways.
    hcinowthhxdl.jpg
    bu1btqvwfbp8.jpg
    He remarked that, behind the meat counter, there was a woman butcher cutting up a whole side of beef.
    I rarely buy meat there, (expensive), but we do love the Scotch Eggs and John loves a custard tart with nutmeg.

We are going to have them for dinner tonight with a big mixed salad, because it is Bea pick up day.

I'm going to take my BP this morning and send it to my doctor via a text link that I requested. For some reason I find myself very resistant to doing this. :* I am on Amlodipine and, recently, Ramipril, so they keep an eye on it.

Love to everyone. Welcome to the new folks. :)
    Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,178 Member
    Pet related post...

Barbara
    My recipe is 3-4 drops lemongrass oil for mosquitoes, 3-4 drops geranium oil for ticks (when Japanese beetles eat the leaves of the geranium plant they die), 3-4 drops peppermint oil. These are added to a small blue glass spray bottle 4-6 ounce(best to use an opaque bottle) shake before using. I like putting it on a bandana because then I can take it off when not needed I was lucky enough to find some that snaps on rather than tie. They were in a close out section of a local grocery store.

Essential oils are potent too and need to be used with care. I would start with one at a time and make sure your pet does not have a bad reaction to the oil especially geranium. Still I like this method better because they are not ingesting a pesticide that essentially make them systemic. In my previous post I pointed out the tick has to bit the pet in order to die. The mosquito has to bite the pet in order to transmit the heartworm. The Heartworm med kills any heartworm larve the pet got from a mosquito in the past six weeks. I would rather use temporary topical that deters them from biting in the first place.

Pets now have a 1-2 chance of developing cancer before age 10. DrewB with her autoimmune disorder puts her at higher risk. She is now 8. This is the reason I have changed her diet and flea, tick, heartworm, and vaccine protocol.