WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2024

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,545 Member
    Tracey - What a fabulous idea! And perfectly doable. You could start a Gofundme. I'd contribute. :D<3 At the very least, you could get to Rebecca's island. Dream big! And make those dreams a reality.

'Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it; Boldness has genius, power, or magic in it.'

When I did the Leadership course back in 1990, ordinary people, with very little money, did extraordinary things, because they believed they could. I wrote a play in one weekend, booked a fringe theatre, and, the following year, put the play on with professional actors working for free, for three weeks. I was terrified the whole time. I raised most of the money from friends and family, who believed in the project and were happy to help me. I only had to ask them, and I hung their haloes up, with their names on, at the entryway to the theatre space. Theatre investors are traditionally called 'Angels'. :p
    I know you could do it.

Dreams are there for a reason.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited July 10
    Barbie - So good to have got that out of the way. Being 'put out' was a great idea! :D<3

Allie - That must have been awful! Especially in the heat.

Yesterday, John emailed the council about our rubbish collection, which had been missed for two weeks! :#:# The lorry turned up at 15.15, which never happens, (it's always morning), so I think his complaint had a result. :D

The other good news was that I managed clamshells with my operated leg. Previously, I had to help it up with my hand, but this time it did it by itself. :D

We had a nice time with the kids. The weather here is chilly and rainy, so I got an Uber. ( I was going to catch the bus and walk over the railway bridge.) Bea is in the talent show at her school's big 'Fiesta In The Park' on Sunday. She gave us a rendition with a microphone, cane and top hat. It's a song from Willy Wonka. We are going to turn up just before she is on. The Fiesta is a big fund raiser for the school, so I hope the weather cheers up.

Max has his prize giving evening tonight, just before the England semifinal with the Netherlands. :o:# The parents are going, but I hope they finish ahead of schedule! The school is in the next big town, Lewes, about 12 miles away. There will be a lot of restless shuffling.
    They don't tell the kids if they are going to get a prize. He is hoping. His parents are hoping hard as he has a scholarship. Personally, I don't agree with any of it, but I keep my mouth shut.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • DrBenja
    DrBenja Posts: 32 Member
    edited July 10
    The MFP Community is my anchor. I've grown alongside amazing friends here.
    July is a fresh start, building new habits and reinforcing old ones.
    Let's connect, share and support each other on this journey!
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited July 10
    I managed to get a last minute hair appointment for this afternoon. So I'm off in a few minutes. Just a 'wet cut', more of a trim, but it has got a bit long. I am going to rifle John's change jar for a tip! :p

I investigated under the bathroom carpet this morning. Grippa rods, underlay, and MDF. All looks solid. Then I rang the company, twice, about coming over for an estimate, but there was no answer. One more chance and that's it. :#
    I have another company I can try, who did our front bedroom when we moved in.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,416 Member
    I managed to get a last minute hair appointment for this afternoon. So I'm off in a few minutes. Just a 'wet cut', more of a trim, but it has got a bit long. I am going to rifle John's change jar for a tip! :p

I investigated under the bathroom carpet this morning. Grippa rods, underlay, and MDF. All looks solid. Then I rang the company, twice, about coming over for an estimate, but there was no answer. One more chance and that's it. :#
    I have another company I can try, who did our front bedroom when we moved in.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I contacted several companies about doing our floor.

One came out and measured, but didn't have the product we wanted.
    One promised to come out to measure, but couldn't make it at the last minute, then rescheduled, then forgot to come, then finally came out and measured. We chose a product from them, and they promised a quote the next day. About a week later we were told that there was a shortage of the product we wanted and they'd have to order it from overseas. It's an Australian product. About 2 weeks later I got a text asking us to come in and pick a product. About another month later I got a similar text asking us to pick a product.
    One replied and said they'd be in touch shortly to arrange a measurement and quote.
    One asked me for my location (suburb) so they could direct me to the nearest store. I told them, and never heard back.
    And finally one replied, came out and measured when scheduled, provided us with a quote that same day, and did the job a couple weeks later.

I don't know if these places are overworked or what but it seems such an effort to find someone!

Good luck with yours!

M in Oz
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,178 Member
    edited July 10
    Barbara I use water and I forgot apple cider vinegar.
    Found this recipe online...It is to be only used for dogs...

Essential Oil Pest Repellent Spray for Dogs
    8- oz. spray bottle, preferably amber or cobalt glass.
    1/3 - 1/2 cup distilled water.
    1/4 cup apple cider vinegar.
    1/4 cup witch hazel.
    1/4 tsp. neem seed oil.
    30 drops cedarwood.
    30 drops eucalyptus.
    20 drops geranium.

I forgot I add apple cider vinegar too. Shake before each use. This one does have some oil to help it stick better. Since I spray it on a bandana I just use the water and apple cider vinegar. I use peppermint instead of the eucalyptus and lemongrass instead of cedarwood.

If you go online you will find other recipes...lavender is another common addition. I make a smaller amount of spray and use less essential oils because I am using it on a small dog 13.5 pounds. I also spray this on me before I go out with her.

I would also go on line to see how often it should be sprayed on your pet because dogs will lick it off when applied. Important things to consider is the size of your dogs and how diluted your solution is.

Again it is recommended you use one oil at a time to make sure dog does not have a bad reaction and if directly sprayed on them them may ingest some of it by licking. I did read another way to use the oils is to apply a drop of two to a collar. Using that method I would remove the collar when not needed because it is on their head. Like any new product or food used or given to a dog I would watch for any negative reaction.

It is recommended for both dogs and humans not to apply essential oils directly to skin unless it is diluted with oil or water.

Hope this helps...

(((Barbie))) hope your recovery is going well.

Roof got done yesterday. When I went to inspect I did go upstairs and saw some staining from a leak on the roof. This more than likely happened before they did the roof. I rarely go upstairs right now. I am going to go over the roof with the supervisor today and he will inspect that area where the leak occurred. The leak is more proof it needed to be done. Fortunately it just stained a small spot on the ceiling.There was no water on the floor.

160 on the scale today. I am going to need to go through clothes to put away the too big and get out the smaller ones I still have...
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,178 Member
    edited July 10
    Lisa your list reminds of the lists I keep to make sure routine maintenance gets done. I have a wipe off board at son's house too! I use it for furnace filter, water filter, and trash ( every other week over there). Other projects too like monitoring ceiling, painting projects...etc.

I agree with you about the Dr. Benja post. I have noticed I have gotten a number of friend request from men since they changed the daily check in where I no longer see friends there. I do notice these men claim to be doctors or military men (thinking this is macho, ick!) When I look at their friend lists it appears to only be woman. (HMMM!) It gives my trash button a workout. So I agree be careful out there. Sometimes men do have the same problem with women targeting them for the wrong reasons too! In this day in age it pays to do a background check before you get hurt!

M It"s the same over here to find and keep good workers. I have a list for jobs I need done. Unfortunately sometimes when I find one I like they move onto to something else and I have to find a new one. When I do find a good one I always give them a tip for the work they do and appreciate the work they do. I have had to part ways occasionally too. Like the man I hired to paint our upper story. He always had excuses why he hadn't started. I had hired him in May and the job was still not done by September.

I might have been able to find a company to do my son's roof cheaper but I have worked with this company before and I know they will do it right. When we have a hail storm the number of companies I have no knowledge of show up at my door. No thanks!
  • Rosemarie2972
    Rosemarie2972 Posts: 478 Member
    Grandmallie: I like both looks! You could try it...You can always go back to the haircut/color you have now!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,978 Member
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 4,140 Member
    Today is:

dg14qt48472d.jpeg

b6341p0gm2gp.png

RVRita in Roswell
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,669 Member
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Today’s gratitude: Joe spoke with our neighbor today. Parts ordered. Soon as helpers are done with current job, will install control box, move and connect tank and “talk about” sanitization system. Hopeful, but I am so very weary of rinsing dishes and vegetables with store bought water… and I think Joe has been sneaking some state park water into the cooler. It tastes sooo metallic [grumpy].
    Snack last night pushed weight up this morning. Note to self . . . :rage:
    Lisa what you said about friends to take the emotional load for each other and the intense thoughts we don’t want to share with our husbands. My BFF was a tall blonde lady in California and I miss her muchly. All the wise gals on this thread help lighten the load.
    Margaret thank you so very much for the pest preventative recipe. Do you use any kind of carrier oil or medium?
    Beth, no memory, kept list of bdays as they came up. Just have to remember to look at it ;)
    Rosemarie love hearing about your yoga retreat, and your peaceful morning times on your deck. Are there back roads you can take to Asheville?
    Rita the hairy Highland “coo” is my favorite too!
    Rebecca that Menucha retreat center looks very appealing. Do you whistle with vibrato too? ;}
    Barbie glad to hear you remember nothing from the extraction. That’s what I’d want too!
    Debbie liked hearing about your Ft. Bragg/Navarro first honeymoon. I slept in the back of my ’76 Toyota Corolla liftback SR5 with my two dogs, when my solo camping trip got snowed out and the Kennedy Meadows lodge didn’t take credit cards. Since then, I’ve always kept a check in my wallet. ;}
    Kylia sleepy/lethargic, yes, normal. Crying when her leg is touched or moved? I’d call the vet and ask, especially if that was the leg that got the shot.

No PT or wii games today. Instead, invested two hours in the side yard, clearing the way in case they come to roll the tank in close to the pump room. I’m bushed ;}

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    Move more than yesterday, fuel better than yesterday, live NOW.
    Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2024: Strengthen: body, mind, heart-connections

Naah, I can really only whistle if I am sucking the air in, so looks like I'm sipping from a straw!😂😁. Plus I can't sustain a note worth a darn. Do you know that my paternal singing grandmother sang with Don Ho in Hawaii once?? She loved him, so at one of his concerts, she finagled her way up to sing, you guessed it, "Tiny Bubbles". 💖
    Good job with two hours worth of yard work!!! I would be the gal overheated with the hose spraying us periodically😂💖
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,669 Member
    Yesterday afternoon and this morning, finishing up. Had to do math and re-read the list every few days and decide how often I wanted to do something... so decided I'd try it this way. Don't know if it will work, but I've been keeping and adding to the original, handwritten list for three years, so...
    xhbqcdfuod1d.png

My organizing for this week.
    Later,
    Love,
    Lisa

Woah girl. I'm very impressed! Put on there, "let Rebecca win at Words With Friends once in awhile"!😂😂
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa