Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Apex Labs - Muscle Defense

dbgfitness
dbgfitness Posts: 12 Member
edited July 24 in Food and Nutrition
I recently began taking a dietary supplement called Muscle Defense from Apex Labs. The company states, "Muscle Defense’s powerful dual-action nutrition supports optimum muscle growth while preventing age-related muscle loss* through a proprietary blend of hydrolyzed whey protein, vital amino acids, and anabolic enhancing compounds."

Tastes good and seems to have a lot of good ingredients, but I need to find out if it is working because I have also changed my diet and am exercising more.

Have any of you tried this supplement?

https://apexlaboratories.com/products/muscle-defense

I will continue taking it twice daily for at least six months. I've lost 10 pounds and gained some muscle in the past few months. I'm 68 and retired, so I have time to rest and work out now.

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,083 Member
    Any good whey protein powder will do the same just be careful as there are calories in those things so it’s easy to go overboard. You’d do better getting your protein from food sources like beef and chicken and fish though.
  • dbgfitness
    Good point on calories. This one is 69 calories per serving, twice per day, I do eat a lot of chicken, but hate fish 😂.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,083 Member
    You may want to think about just using a high quality whey powder instead it will also be a lot less expensive. Your stuff even though low in calories has half the protein as a good whey so you could use a half scoop of that and get the same amount of protein however these supplements are just that, supplements. Real food is always better so just use sups if your protein is low on some days and you need a bump.
  • wm3796
    wm3796 Posts: 87 Member
    I would want to know what “anabolic enhancing compounds” are in it…if it is creatinine then that is ok but other substances could be a concern IMO.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,326 Member
    I generally like simple and cheap over expensive pee. Plus I turn and run whenever there's a "proprietary blend" and a string of buzzwords on the back of the bottle.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,452 Member
    Whooey! Price. I agree it has some good stuff in it.
    I question why so much chromium. Are you diabetic or pre-diabetic? If so, I second their advice to talk to your Dr. About it.
  • dbgfitness
    Corina1143 wrote: »
    Whooey! Price. I agree it has some good stuff in it.
    I question why there is so much chromium. Are you diabetic or pre-diabetic? If so, I second their advice to talk to your Dr. About it.

Yeah, it is expensive, but if you put it in the cart and don't buy it, they will offer you up to 50% off :)
  • dbgfitness
    wm3796 wrote: »
    I would want to know what “anabolic enhancing compounds” are in it…if it is creatinine then that is ok but other substances could be a concern IMO.

Chromium is the proprietary blend of Velositol. However, I found nothing online saying it had any adverse side effects. Insulin is a protein hormone. The hormone is an anabolic protein, where the anabolic statement comes into play. No creatine.
  • dbgfitness
    Thanks everyone for your comments. Much appreciated.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,626 Member
    If no creatine in it, creatine might be a decent idea.

Let's don't confuse creatine with creatinine, eh? I'm not sure if that's happening here, but want to be clear I do mean creatine.
  • dbgfitness
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If no creatine in it, creatine might be a decent idea.

Let's don't confuse creatine with creatinine, eh? I'm not sure if that's happening here, but want to be clear I do mean creatine.

Yeah! Creatinine is a chemical waste product of creatine. :)
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 491 Member
    Boiling down some urine is a cheap way to get some creatinine
  • soapman71
    soapman71 Posts: 1 Member
    I have asked the company if they conduct third-party testing and provide a CoA, especially for mold, spores, pathogens, and trace metals. No reply yet. I usually buy supplements that are U.S. Organic certified and made in a GMP facility, however this product is made in the U.K. so different regulations may apply. Check this out: https://nutritionfacts.org/hnta-video/does-increasing-protein-intake-slow-age-related-muscle-mass-loss/
    It appears that exercising with some additional protein may stabilize age-related muscle loss. I've read this on other sites also.