40 and older with 10lbs or less to lose

Options

Replies

• jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    My long story is a repeat of bits and pieces of all of your stories.

My only twist is this..........I dislocated my ankle 20+ years ago and thought that I would never be able to downhill ski again the way I use to. So, I gave up skiing. Out of the blue three years ago, my kids said they wanted to try skiing. So, we all went. I figured as bad as my ankle was I could handle the beginner's slope with them.

Here is my happy ending.........the new shaped skis took all of the pressure off my ankles and knees. As old (55) and overweight as I am (35 lbs) I can now ski like I use to.

My new goal is to go out and buy myself a new skiing outfit next winter and not have to special order an XL size to get one!

So, if you had a passion when you were younger, go try it (carefully) again! Sports have changed a lot since we were all young and fit.
  • MrsDanceBartley
    MrsDanceBartley Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day too and that is the only wya its works....
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday! I just received my new Reebok Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) on Sat. I tried it out yesterday after Church. I did a challenging 10 mile bike ride on my Trek hybrid in 40 mins. Lots of rolling hills. My avg. HR was 151, max HR 165, total cals burned 513! I used to estimate about 420-450 cals, so this HRM is giving me some very useful info. I bought the Reebok HRM on Buy.com for $29.99, no tax, free shipping-pretty good deal. It comes with a chest strap and watch. Easy to use. I've never used one before, so this could be interesting.

As you all know, this Sat. I will be getting some bloodwork done, so I really want to be a good boy this week. My problem is what to eat & drink in the evening. I eat super clean during the day, but I can't seem to kick the glass of wine and pretzels in the evening. Maybe a smoothie or protein shake. Any ideas, friends?
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,776 Member
    Options
    Welcome jam0525! Great news on being able to ski again.

singfree, I am no diet expert (by far!), but what about a compromise on preparing for your bloodwork? I'm actually thinking it would be okay to keep the glass of wine but maybe trying to find a replacement for the pretzels. The wine is actually pretty good for you, so I'm not so sure that is a necessary thing to get rid of before your blood work (except for maybe on Friday night).

As far as the pretzels go, alot depends on how late you are eating them. From what I've learned, the only foods that people really shouldn't consume within a couple hours of going to sleep are foods with alot of carbs (and pretzels fall into that category). Carbs inhibit the release of Human Growth Hormone during the first couple of hours of sleep, and that's why it is suggested not to have carbs later in the evening. So maybe keep the wine but replace the pretzels with a protein food instead (like a handful of almonds)? That's just a suggestion. Of course, that involves more calories than a protein shake might, so if you are looking at cutting calories, go for the protein shake.

I had a bit of a difficult weekend. After the leg workout on Friday and then working the charity auction I attended that night (where my cheesecake sold for nearly $400!!!!), I was so sore on Saturday that I could hardly move. Yesterday wasn't much better. I did manage to get in an upper body strength workout yesterday, but I still feel the ill effects of Friday this morning in my lower back. So I'll probably try to some light aerobics today and see if that will loosen things up a bit. But I managed to stay clean on my diet this weekend, so that was good.

Hope this finds everybody doing well!
  • singfree
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, StiringWendel. Yeah, I was thinking along those lines, too, and my wife suggested that quite a while ago...I hear but do not listen! The wine is a two-edged sword for me. The health benfits of red wine are numerous, but having alcohol probably inhibits some fat loss. As far as calories go, I am usually under on my daily cals, since I don't eat all of my exercise cals. I think I will eat an ounce of almonds that I roast, which would be a healthy alternative to the pretzels. Thanks again for the info.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Jam...You are giving me hope. I broke my shoulder and badly tore the rotator cuff. My doctor will not do surgery saying that he could make it worse. This happened two years ago and I have trouble doing some of my weight training due to it. Maybe someday something will be developed so that I can lift more.

singfree.. Have you heard of the Polar F6? I bought one this weekend. (It was expensive.) I am gearing up for when I have the OK to begin to workout again. I also like to have a glass of red wine in the evening and I have always used pretzels as a snack. They are so much healthier than chips. All lot of carbs though so I have cut back. I am eating grapes instead.

StiringWendel..congratulations on your cheesecake going the almost $400. Was it fat free? LOL>
  • unfoldingbeauty
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I'm 46 and would like to lose 10 pounds. This group seems to be the perfect fit for me.
    Just recently lost 30 pounds on Weight Watchers, but due to the economics and lack of motivation for attending meetings, needed to find a new path. It lead me here. Hopefully tracking online and participating on the message boards will keep me motivated enough to lose the last dreaded 10 pounds. On my ticker I put 9 pounds to make it look easier to attain. Let the challenge begin.

174167.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Greetings All! Just wanted to drop in and say hi to Alf!

I still want to loose between 10 & 20...I'm getting close to goal and if I loose another 20 that would put me at 120lb, which may be to skinny for me at my age, 52, we'll see after I loose another 10.
  • singfree
    Options
    Yeah, swissmiss, i was looking at the Polar F6, but someone on another thread mentioned the Reebok HRM for only $29.99 (no tax & free ship). The frugal side of me won out. It really does everything I need, and it comes with a chest strap & watch. I've been using it since yesterday and am very pleased with the performance (and mine). For instance, I just finished my noon workout at the gym, and in 30 mins I burned over 300 cals. I really push it at the gym, keeping the workouts short but intense.
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Welcome unfoldingbeauty.. I am sure that you will find lots of encouragement from this group.

FatDancer.. I got down to 139 a few years ago. I was too thin although the charts said that was about right for my height. I actually had people ask if I had been ill. So, let your body decide on the perfect weight for you.

singfree..Only problem I am having with the Polar F6 is programing it. I may have to have a Masters to get it done. No, seriously, I have put it up until a time that I feel like messing with it. I have another four weeks before I can work out, so I will look at it later. I also bought a good pedometer. I am curious about how many steps I take at work. I estimate that I walk between three and five miles.
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday All! I'm trying to adjust from my morning of fasting for my annual physical with bloodwork. It is now official I am a coffee addict. My appt. was at 9:30am and by that point I had they worst throbbing headache:mad: Plus, I will never understand how people can go without breakfast. I have always been a first thing in the morning eater. My mom says at 3 I was pouring my own cereal if she wasn't up yet. Must be that hypoglycemic thing because I could seriously hurt someone if I don't get food and coffee inthe morning.:devil: I'm looking forward to the results though and my Dr. wants me to get an MRI for my neck so that we can move forward with P.T. Yeah! Maybe I'll be 100% in no time.

Glad to see our group is expanding. We check-in and set weekly goals on Friday. Hope to hear from Alf soon. Can't wait for a trip trip report. Swiss - let us know how the Dr. appt goes tommorrow and fyi I've been using my Polar F6 for 3 weeks and I still haven't figure the whole thing out. I just make sure I write down my calories burned as soon as I'm done. I keep saying I'm going to read the instructions but just haven't go past the quick start part.
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Hi duffyzmom...I read in a health magazine (I have so much time to read now), that caffeine plus green tea really helps the metabolism. I use green tea extract which I bought through Avon. It comes in a small bottle with a dropper. I usually put a dropper full in my water or my morning tea. I also have been drinking iced coffee (I don't care for it hot). So, I figure that the combination of coffee and green tea extract should be helping me.
  • singfree
    Options
    I usually get my caffeine load in the morning, then do decaf drinks like green tea during the day. It is a nice break from plain water. I like water, especially when I work out. I don't waste my money on those fancy water drinks. Plus some of those adds a lot of unwanted cals.
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Personally (and my son thinks I am nuts), I don't like the taste, or lack of taste, of bottled water. I guess I am just used to the yummy chemical in my city water. I drank more water yesterday than I normally do and am very proud of myself.
    I am going to the doctor today. Let's see what he has to say.
  • duffyzmom
    Options
    Swiss - Good luck at the Doctor. I know what you mean about bottled water. It depends on where you live. I've lived in areas where the tap was the best water ever and areas where all you tasted was chlorine just depends. We are on a well now and it is pretty good.
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Went to doctor :sad: Bad infection now plus another problem that may require more surgery.:mad: I do have his OK to take short walks. WHAT !!! I have been walking for the past two weeks. Guess I shouldn't have been doing this.
  • singfree
    Options
    We are all with you, swissmiss!
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,776 Member
    Options
    Swissmiss, I'm so sorry to hear that! Please take care of yourself. :flowerforyou:

Busy day here, but I managed to get my one hour of strength training in this morning. I'm getting ready to leave for Colorado for a week on Friday and I'm beginning to get a little panicky about my eating while there. I guess I am just going to have to do everything I can to control the situation, despite being dependent on other people preparing my food. I'm just so not in the mood to take any steps backwards right now nutritionally, weight-wise or in terms of fitness. I guess that's a good mood to be in because it's the best thing for me, but I, quite honestly, feel like this :grumble: about this trip right now! I'm sure I'll get over that, though. I hope. :tongue:
  • duffyzmom
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: SwissMiss -Take Care! I'm so sorry to hear that you are fighting an infection right now. I hope you are able to heal and don't require more surgery:heart:

Stiring: I know you will be fine in Colorado. You've done such great work up till now and have all the skills you need. What part are you visiting? I was at a conference out in Keystone a few summers ago and just felt healthier in that environment. That state has so many health enthusiasts it just feels healthy to be there. Watch your hydration! That can be a killer in that elevation.
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Most restaurants will accommodate people on special diets. It is worth a try.