Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• yummummum
    yummummum Posts: 257
    Options
    one more question, my fiber is really low.... what do you do for getting more fiber? I eat tons of salad, what are the higher fiber veggies that are low carb?

how are you getting more fiber!
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Yummy snack idea that I have been using myself the past week: I just experimented one day and fell in love...

2 TBSP Smuckers All Natural Peanut Butter (Creamy)
    1 oz cream cheese

Put them in a microwavable bowl and microwave for 15 seconds. Stir them together. Spread on 2 stalks of celery...

SO good....and 5-6 NET carbs total.
  • kjpersich
    kjpersich Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm baking the Oopsie Rolls as I type! I have never done stiff peaks before! I had to google it. I don't think I did them right because I felt like it had a lot of liquid. I folded the cream cheese/ egg yolk mixture. I couldn't put it on a cookie sheet because it was too runny so I stuck them in muffin tins. They look great so far. 4 minutes left to go and they look just like a dinner roll. Can't wait to try them (although I'm not hungry from the 3 MIMs muffins we tried already!)
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    one more question, my fiber is really low.... what do you do for getting more fiber? I eat tons of salad, what are the higher fiber veggies that are low carb?

I actually take fiber pills daily to help boost mine. But I'll also usually eat an Atkins bar daily too, which is about 10g of fiber. So I kind of cheat :)
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I'm baking the Oopsie Rolls as I type! I have never done stiff peaks before! I had to google it. I don't think I did them right because I felt like it had a lot of liquid. I folded the cream cheese/ egg yolk mixture. I couldn't put it on a cookie sheet because it was too runny so I stuck them in muffin tins. They look great so far. 4 minutes left to go and they look just like a dinner roll. Can't wait to try them (although I'm not hungry from the 3 MIMs muffins we tried already!)

Yea mine always turn out like pancakes. LOL I didn't even think about muffin tins! Let us know how they turn out :)
  • LowCarbForLife
    LowCarbForLife Posts: 82 Member
    Options

Avocado, asparagus, and artichoke are my three favorite fiber sources. Splenda also makes packets with one gram fiber each. That is not a lot but what could it hurt?
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I ordered a muffin top pan off of amazon and it works perfect for the oopsie rolls and also the flax buns off of linda's site. Either recipe makes an awesome hamburger.

I'm off to bed early gonna read awhile. 6th day back on induction and I feel fluish! yuck.

Have a great evening.

Nichole
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    My Mission Carb Balance torillas have 10g fiber, so that's where I get most of mine! I get the rest from nuts and PB.

I am so bummed, I thought I got all the ingredients to make different variations of MiMs, but I got baking soda instead of baking powder. :grumble: I'll have to go back to the store tomorrow, I'm very excited to try them! I did get heavy whipping cream though, so I'm looking forward to coffee in the morning.
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Mission tortillas stalled me every time I use them. I buy La Tortilla from Kroger they don't. I am not eating them right now though because I'm doing a 14 day induction again to try to speed up weight loss before the wedding. But I usually keep them in the fridge for everything. I make pizzas and grill wraps.
    I am getting some flax seed again today so I can have MIM"s for breakfast this week. It will help with fiber and calories and also if I buy some pumpkin to mix in I can count that as some veggie carbs. :)
    I want to make a gumbo ...I love this weather...I of course don't eat the rice.

Have a blessed Sunday everyone.

I"m feeling better this morning and heading to church then have some housework to do and dinner at my Marine Son's house. yay so glad to have him home.

Nichole
  • kjpersich
    Options
    The Oopsie Rolls came out great considering I don't think I did them right. The muffin tins worked out great but I would spray them with some Pam or use muffin cups. I didn't and had to let it soak overnight. The 14 year old devoured 3 of them. She had a nice low carb meal for dinner! I made her the cocoa MIM this morning for breakfast. She loved it with her coffee. I'm trying to get all the refined crap out of my kids diet. It's funny how I don't eat that stuff and yet I serve them waffles and pancakes with syrup for breakfast. Sugar be gone!
  • livlovlaf
    livlovlaf Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    What is your flax cracker recipe?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

I actually can't eat a lot of fiber due to a chronic condition, but some good low carb, high fiber veggies are:

celery
    Mustard Greens
    Chicory
    Endive
    Avocado
    Spinach
    Chard
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower
    Asparagus
    Romaine
    Mushroom
    Radish
    Bell Peppers
    Cabbage

Some non-veggie high fiber foods:

Flax (one reason MIMs are so awesome) You can sprinkle flax on your salad, too
    Unsweetened coconut
    coconut flour
    almond flour/meal
    wheat bran
  • Shannonigans84
    Options
    I haven't noticed any problems with the Carb Balance tortillas, I use the whole wheat small ones and they are 3g net carbs. I love that they have so much fiber! I made a Rich Cocoa MiM and leave it up to me to mess it up. I grabbed the 1/2 cup measurer and used way too much egg beater. It's edible, but I know it'll be better when I get the ingredients right. I'll also use a regular egg. I can't wait to make a pumpkin one! I bought a huge can of pumkin to try different recipes. Coffee+whipping cream is okay, not as flavorful as my SF creamers, but it works! I hope everyone had a great weekend! I ate very poorly yesterday, but I'm back on track and not going to stress about it :-)

Also, I hope you get the results you're looking for soulthinking!
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Philadelphia cream cheese 33% less fat is less than one gram of carbs vs. 2 grams for the regular. I've been using that instead.

Dang! I just bought a carton of cream cheese. Thanks for the heads up. I typically stay away from the lesser fat stuff, which is why I never bothered to look. I'll definitely switch as soon as I get through what I have.
  • secret_sally
    Options
    I gained 4 lbs in 2 days... is it just muscle density/ water weight? :( I'm worried...
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I gained 4 lbs in 2 days... is it just muscle density/ water weight? :( I'm worried...
    It's impossible to gain 4 lbs in 2 days. It 's just water weight. You have constipation?
  • Shannonigans84
    Options

It sounds like you might not have the regimen of Atkins down. You stated you consumed upwards of 4000 calories; eating low carb for the most part naturally keeps your calories low. I know a lot of us have mentioned we are netting low on average. Also if you're consuming that much food, your sodium levels are probably quite high. Are you logging in your diary? Check out atkins.com for foods you can have and browse these posts for tips and tricks. Once you have the concept down you think about it less, and you should see results. Good luck!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It's impossible to gain 4 lbs in 2 days. It 's just water weight. You have constipation?
    It's not actually impossible, but it is improbable. You'd have to eat 7000 to 14000 more calories than you burned over those two days. You DID state earlier that your calorie consumption was 3000-4000 calories per day. SOME of that weight is real, most of the rest is probably water retention from too much sodium, perhaps.
  • kittrelle
    Options
    Mission tortillas stalled me every time I use them. I buy La Tortilla from Kroger they don't. I am not eating them right now though because I'm doing a 14 day induction again to try to speed up weight loss before the wedding. But I usually keep them in the fridge for everything. I make pizzas and grill wraps.
    I am getting some flax seed again today so I can have MIM"s for breakfast this week. It will help with fiber and calories and also if I buy some pumpkin to mix in I can count that as some veggie carbs. :)
    I want to make a gumbo ...I love this weather...I of course don't eat the rice.

Have a blessed Sunday everyone.

I"m feeling better this morning and heading to church then have some housework to do and dinner at my Marine Son's house. yay so glad to have him home.

Nichole
    I love gumbo and have been thinking about making some, but how do you get around the roux part?? Maybe it it's enough servings the flour won't matter?? Other than that, I think it'll be OK carbwise. I DO like a LOT of okra, though...! And it'll be sad to eat without the cornbread. :(
  • kjpersich
    Options
    [/quote]
    I love gumbo and have been thinking about making some, but how do you get around the roux part?? Maybe it it's enough servings the flour won't matter?? Other than that, I think it'll be OK carbwise. I DO like a LOT of okra, though...! And it'll be sad to eat without the cornbread. :(
    [/quote]

I wonder if you could make a roux using almond flour and oil. Lots of okra would be great! Maybe you could have a MIM instead of cornbread.