WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER

Options

Replies

• wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :embarassed: :embarassed: I did not say "no" to birthday cake last night.

I'd bought my daughter a small cake on Monday, which we all had a piece of on Monday and Tuesday night. She had two cakes bought for her actual birthday (yesterday) one she is taking to work with her today (thank goodnes!) the other chocolate cake she opened and had a slice (she's young and works hard so can soon burn up the calories :ohwell: :ohwell: ) me - I don't even like chocolate cake but for some reason found myself "trying" a slice?????? What is wrong with me :grumble: :grumble: , I don't know how I have got so far off track .

:frown: I think I'll have to be more like Barbie and not have unhealthy foods in the house. Obviously I can't be trusted, so the only thing is not to have them in the house. Once the cake is gone (I will not have a piece today) that is it, no more cakes in the house - well until Christmas at least :bigsmile:

I need to be a good example for my mum too, she had her tests yesterday and is waiting for the results, but she has a strong pulse in all her pressure points , so that's good.

:flowerforyou: Well done Jackie - you will soon lose the few pounds you put on over your cruise. Congrats on the baby news, twins how exciting.

:flowerforyou: Geri hope you get your blood pressure under control - remember gentle exercise until then.

:flowerforyou: To everyone else - here's to a good healthy day.

Viv xx
  • qofsheba
    Options
    Been gone awhile but am back. Clearly will NOT make my goal by end of October. Am struggling all month to lose 2 lbs. Some of it is me for sure. But don't think it is all me. I am on or under calories 95% of the time and when over not by much. Am exercising. Have NOT been drinking the water--recommitted to that this week. Have stepped exercise up to the more advanced level.

I feel better, I look better. But I would like to see the end of the 190s this month--I thought I'd be more like 185 by now.

Wondering if I need to change up exercise more. And I only do 30 minutes 5 times a week---I see folks doing a lot more.

Sigh.

Hoping weigh in tomorrow at least is 10 lbs---it would another .5-- I actually saw 189.5 on the scale on Monday and then it went away.

Ok--am obsessing about numbers but needed to get it out of my system. Now exercise, water, positive attitude..
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Been gone awhile but am back. Clearly will NOT make my goal by end of October. Am struggling all month to lose 2 lbs. Some of it is me for sure. But don't think it is all me. I am on or under calories 95% of the time and when over not by much. Am exercising. Have NOT been drinking the water--recommitted to that this week. Have stepped exercise up to the more advanced level.

I feel better, I look better. But I would like to see the end of the 190s this month--I thought I'd be more like 185 by now.

Wondering if I need to change up exercise more. And I only do 30 minutes 5 times a week---I see folks doing a lot more.

Sigh.

Hoping weigh in tomorrow at least is 10 lbs---it would another .5-- I actually saw 189.5 on the scale on Monday and then it went away.

Ok--am obsessing about numbers but needed to get it out of my system. Now exercise, water, positive attitude..

Last time I was on a plateau like that, someone gave me the advice to change my exercise routine and make it more intensive. It worked! I walk on a treadmill. So I upped the speed to 4 km, and changed the program. Weight loss was almost instant.
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Wow...Lot's of posts!

Geri: TAKE care! And I hope you get this all figured out quickly. Losing weight and exercise help almost everything, so stick to it and come here often. Thinking of you!

Viv: A cake in the house would not be a good thing for me either. I swear they "call" to me even at night. More than anything for me is ice cream. I cannot have it in the house...ever! Especially homemade, which our family loves.

qosheba: YES...up that exercise or add a walk at the end of the day and I'll bet you will move that scale. Good Luck!

Barbie: I'm with you about getting those temptations out of the house. When DH is gone and the little extras are not here, I do so much better. Mine returns tonight so I have to think of something. He is so, so thin that he needs that peanut butter, cheese and bread. I DO not!

Cynthia: I promise...the dress is for me...not my son! :bigsmile: Ha! I know what you mean reading late at night. But I also don't re-read my posts before posting, so I find some crazy mistakes afterwards sometimes:ohwell:

Joyce (Westernjoy): Good for you for the loss:flowerforyou:

Off to a neighborhood ARB meeting. This should not be fun as the proposed plan has the driveway adjacent to an existing owner's (and good friend of mine) drive and property. We all have minimum of 5 acres so it shouldn't have to be so close, but the new owner wants to have the drive wind through the trees, which I understand, but my friend and her DH are not happy about having it there. Hope we can get it resolved without hurt feelings. People don't like to be told what to do on their own property, and I understand that. Still...puts us in an awkward position.

Take care everyone, and let's all have a good & healthy day! Kackie:heart:
  • sissygok
    sissygok Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Woo Hoo, today is a joyful day for me because I just weighed in and I reached my 20 pounds lost goal...I was so determined to not walk onboard the ship feeling bad about myself or unhappy because my clothes did not look or feel right to me....BUT before I got too full of myself I decided to change my goal and want to lose another 13 pounds before my 70th birthday in May..that will put me at 150 pounds which is a good weight for me. I will be a loose size 12 at that weight and I feel very comfortable when I am in that neighborhood.
    Our weather is the kind of fall weather that just makes you feel wonderful, warm but not hot, clear and sunny..but with cool wonderful sleeping weather nights.

Being called to breakfast so have to run...

xoSissy
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm back after my weekend away - had a good time and was able to spend some time with my sister, won't see her again until about Easter next year.

The excess lbs from the weekend are drifting away now I'm home and eating a little more normally. Need to get some milk today as the milk I had turned sour over night - it was ok yesterday, but this morning I had black tea and dry cereals - don't want to have to do that again tomorrow!

Knee Strengthening class today and then I need to go over to my GF to check her house as she is away this week. Tried to get some more Glucosamine at Wal-Mart in Watertown NY on the way home, but they didn't stock it. I was a bit ticked as we had driven past the W-M in Ithaca and Syracuse and some little places in between. We'll have to have another trip over the border in a week or two - good job it is only an hour to Ogdensburg.

Have the monthly meeting of my lace group this evening and I think they want to hear about what we did in Ithaca - quite a few members of the group went.
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Geri - Take care of yourself! Thinking of you ~

Still feel like I am running every minute, but wanted to share a link that I found that kind of helps with my weighing every day obsession.
    http://www.healthdiscovery.net/articles/scale_lies.htm

Hope you all are doing fine!
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options

wanted to share a link that I found that kind of helps with my weighing every day obsession.
    http://www.healthdiscovery.net/articles/scale_lies.htm

Thank you Mary. That is very interesting as well as informative. I weigh myself once a week to avoid the moment to moment changes. On the other hand, if someone feels more in control by weighing often.....and it works for them...then you do whatever is working for you. I would highly recommend that everyone read this article.
    Thanks again, Mary.

BirdieM:heart::drinker:
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options

DH and I are just back from our Alaskan cruise ....and I only put on 2lb. I need to get back in the fold and lose some more....HELP!!

.......#1 son had announced a new arrival next April. That was revised today to....arrivals!! Yep...twins. Will need some advice from Tiarapants!!! As the two children already in the family are 13 and 9 , even one was a surprise!!

Jackie

I hope you enjoyed your cruise. My hubby and I went on an Alaskan Cruise/Land tour several years ago July. Alaska is such a beautiful place! Did you get to go on any land tours?
    The 2 pounds is not bad at all for a cruise and you will get that right off if you get back into a healthy eating plan, drink lots of water and exercise!

As far as #1 son's news, tell him that seeing as there IS such a space between the other's age and these little ones....they will at least have someone their own age to play with and keep each other occupied.:happy: That's what my mother always said, and she had a set of triplets as well as 3 sets of twins!!:noway: Not what she planned on either, but considered each one a gift and now she has 13 adult children spoiling her! :laugh:

BirdieM:heart:
  • Patchworkperson
    Patchworkperson Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Fantastic Sissy :flowerforyou: Well done!
    Woo Hoo, today is a joyful day for me because I just weighed in and I reached my 20 pounds lost goal...I was so determined to not walk onboard the ship feeling bad about myself or unhappy because my clothes did not look or feel right to me....BUT before I got too full of myself I decided to change my goal and want to lose another 13 pounds before my 70th birthday in May..that will put me at 150 pounds which is a good weight for me. I will be a loose size 12 at that weight and I feel very comfortable when I am in that neighborhood.
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Our weather is the kind of fall weather that just makes you feel wonderful, warm but not hot, clear and sunny..but with cool wonderful sleeping weather nights.

Being called to breakfast so have to run...

xoSissy

awesome!!!
  • Minerva
    Minerva Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Have kept my goal for today so far and will continue to work on tonight's dinner at the Meet & Greet! This is a dinner where we parents and our 8th grade kids meet the High School teachers and students of the private school where our kids might attend. So starts the rounds of visiting schools! I'm sure it will be a calorie mine field so I've been extra careful so far today to allow a little flexibility tonight.
    BTW- I've always wanted to do an Alaskan Cruise- it sounds amazing! :drinker:
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Sissy: Yea! Yea! Yea, for you!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Notice when my kids were in high school(8years ago) in highschool freshmen they wanted them to decide then what they wanted to do with their lives. I don't know about you but a majority of teenagers can't figure out what they want to do for the day. Let alone 4 years from now.
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Everyone have a great evening or morning where ever you are.

I want my ticker to go past 160 and really trying hard at it.

Kathy (plantlady)
  • charlibets
    charlibets Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I would like to keep up with this group. I am 55, weigh about 150 and trying to lose about 20 pounds. 130 would be a comfortable weight for me...not as low as the good old days, but healthier and more comfortable than where I'm at now. Peri-menopause and hypothyroid has given me the metabolism of a rhino. The weight I put on in my forties just doesn't budge like it used to by making even small changes in my diet.

My biggest challenge is sticking to an exercise routine - I'm so ready to just relax at the end of the day and I'm not a morning person. So I have phases where I work out very regularly...but any disruption can put me off it for weeks. I'm pretty good about eating nutritiously but I do have a sweet tooth and work in an office, i.e. bowls of candy are everywhere.

I'm interested in connecting with women around my age because I really think we have some issues that a 30-something gal does not have....yet. :-)

Feel free to friend me and I'll try to keep up here too.

Betsy
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I would like to keep up with this group. I am 55, weigh about 150 and trying to lose about 20 pounds. 130 would be a comfortable weight for me...not as low as the good old days, but healthier and more comfortable than where I'm at now. Peri-menopause and hypothyroid has given me the metabolism of a rhino. The weight I put on in my forties just doesn't budge like it used to by making even small changes in my diet.

My biggest challenge is sticking to an exercise routine - I'm so ready to just relax at the end of the day and I'm not a morning person. So I have phases where I work out very regularly...but any disruption can put me off it for weeks. I'm pretty good about eating nutritiously but I do have a sweet tooth and work in an office, i.e. bowls of candy are everywhere.

I'm interested in connecting with women around my age because I really think we have some issues that a 30-something gal does not have....yet. :-)

Feel free to friend me and I'll try to keep up here too.

Betsy

welcome betsy...so glad you found us....this is a wonderful group....i look forward to getting to know you...:flowerforyou:
  • topaz2986
    topaz2986 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Another busy day at work...but no food pictures! Now I'm shooting more Val Day items for our catalog....red glitter everywhere. awful! I shoot Christmas in July...that's even worse...all colors of glitter. I meet alot of nice people at the grocery store after work. They all like to comment on the glitter all over my clothes and face.

Barbie..I like the "declaring war" on unhealthy eating. I wish I could get my guys on board w/something like that. We put their junk food up in a top cabinet that I have to get a chair to get at. I'm not very tall.

Geri...I hope all goes well for you. Slow and steady...you'll reach your goals...including lowering your BP.

Michele...nah...I didn't put anything on the cookies. They aren't for a food article or anything like that. My company puts out a themed calendar every year...one year was dancers, another year was artwork..this year is sweets. Thank God, I only had cookies to shoot and not the ice cream (that's my real weakness). We have stock pics for the ice cream month.

Natalie...enjoy AZ. I visited there only once...but would move there if I could. I love the warmth n scenery.

I walked on my treadmill for a while tonite..and did a bit of yoga. It felt really good...but I need to be more regular with it. I think it's the only way I'm going to see anything new from my scale.

Everyone have a good nite and good day tomorrow,

Rita
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Just checking in to say a quick hello. I hope everyone is doing well.

Jeannie
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Welcome Betsy.....you will find a lot of us who are in the 'same boat'. This is a great board for encouragement and a real understanding of what it is like to lose weight at this time in our lives.

Sissy....Great work!! It was wonderful reading your post.

Just a quick check in tonight. Today was a busy day. My godchild is home for a bit so I am getting some great time with her this week. We don't have children but I am very close to my godchildren (they call each other 'godsisters"...I love it). They are all growing up...now they are 19- 33 years old...where did the time go!

Have a good night!