NYBNY Challenge October (closed group)

Options

Replies

• wvualum
    wvualum Posts: 428
    Options
    Hey all. I have a question for the fresh meal what is considered a "packaged" food? I am having a tough time with this challenge for sure.

Thanks, Kathy.

You need to look at the ingredients, basically I look at the ingredients. for example, my diet pepsi, has caramel color, potassium benzoate, phosphoric acid, etc. That is not natural, but my can of beans last night had beans, water, and salt. that would be all natural. Does that help?
  • KelieHerrera
    Options
    My recipe for the day is quick and easy, and tasty.

I bake tilapia filets in the oven at 350º with copious amounts of fresh squeezed lemon juice, pepper, and garlic powder. By far my favorite dinner ever.
  • allnamesrtaken
    allnamesrtaken Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Baked tilapia with sea salt pepper and lemon juice. Sauté fresh spinach, onion and cherry tomatoes ( I use I can't believe its butter spray) season to taste, splash a little more lemon juice, pour over talapia- YUM. QUICK AND DELICIOUS!
  • adamkat
    adamkat Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hey all. I have a question for the fresh meal what is considered a "packaged" food? I am having a tough time with this challenge for sure.

Thanks, Kathy.

You need to look at the ingredients, basically I look at the ingredients. for example, my diet pepsi, has caramel color, potassium benzoate, phosphoric acid, etc. That is not natural, but my can of beans last night had beans, water, and salt. that would be all natural. Does that help?

Yes that helps tremendously!! I thought so but wasn't sure. ;c) Now I get my point for a fresh meal. thank you.
  • feydruss
    feydruss Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Had trouble finding the thread again! Shame on me!

I'm heading to the airport to go away for the weekend with family and friends. Wish me luck staying on track!

I buy family packs of proteins like boneless skinless chicken and giant salmon fillets and then freeze them in 1-2 serving portions. I never know if DH is going to be home for dinner, so it's easy to pull a few out and defrost them.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Atlantic salmon fillets smeared with a bit of red pepper jelly or mango chutney and thrown in the oven at 400 for 20min. Perfect every time.

I have a huge drawer of spices and shelves of condiments/vinegars/hot sauces. We use them lots!
  • CassandreNoreen
    CassandreNoreen Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Here's one of my fave recipes!

Baked Honey Mustard Chicken

Prep Time: 15 Minutes
    Cook Time: 45 Minutes

Ready In: 1 Hour
    Servings: 6

Ingredients:
    6 skinless, boneless chicken breast
    halves
    salt and pepper to taste
    1/2 cup honey

1/2 cup prepared mustard
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon dried parsley

Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2. Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper to taste, and place in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish. In a small bowl, combine the honey, mustard, basil, paprika, and parsley. Mix well. Pour 1/2 of this mixture over the chicken, and brush to cover.
    3. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Turn chicken pieces over and brush with the remaining 1/2 of the honey mustard mixture. Bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.

Servings Per Recipe: 6

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 232

Total Fat: 3.7g
    Cholesterol: 67mg
    Sodium: 296mg
    Total Carbs: 24.8g
    Dietary Fiber: 1g
    Protein: 25.6g
  • DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    Spinach Salad

2 parts soy sauce, 1 part balsamic vinegar, 1 part olive (or sesame) oil and garlic to taste. Throw in raw baby spinach. Mix it up. Yum.
  • MsBrwnSugga
    MsBrwnSugga Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Low Fat Spinach Dip

Ingredients:

10 ounces fresh baby spinach, steamed until wilted
    1 cup plain fat-free yogurt, drained of excess water
    4 ounces fat-free cream cheese, softened
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup finely chopped scallions
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 tbsp fresh lemon juice

Preparation:

Place wilted spinach in a colander and squeeze out excess water. Chop finely and place in a medium bowl. Stir yogurt and cream cheese together until smooth. Add to spinach. Stir in remaining ingredients and blend thoroughly. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
    Makes about 2 cups.

Per serving (1/4 cup): Calories 55, Calories from Fat 11, Total Fat 1.3g (sat 0.7g), Cholesterol 3mg, Sodium 186mg, Carbohydrate 4.7g, Fiber 1.1g, Protein 6.2g

A co-worker told me about this recipe a couple of weeks ago. I think I will attempt to make it this weekend. Wish me luck! :smile:
  • wvualum
    Options
    I've decided to issue a special challenge this week:

3 pts if you perform a random act of kindness everyday this week, M-F. You need to post on this message board each day what you have done. It can be any simple (or big) action, you've done out of kindness to someone else.

Team captains I will track this so don't worry about keeping score for it. If you can't post something that day try to do it first thing the next day.

Let me know if you have any questions.
  • adamkat
    adamkat Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Great challenge idea.

hmm i paid for my co-workers coffee this morning. Would that count?
  • wvualum
    Options
    Great challenge idea.

hmm i paid for my co-workers coffee this morning. Would that count?

That definitely counts!
  • Twinmom1221
    Twinmom1221 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I looked up a recipe for a friend that she has been looking for but just couldn't find.
  • CassandreNoreen
    CassandreNoreen Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I bought my friend her coffee this morning.
  • minni2906
    minni2906 Posts: 182
    Options
    I went above and beyond my job limitations to help a patient try to figure out what two charges on her bank statement were for. Does that count? Lol. Otherwise, I held the door open for two of my coworkers after work.

I'm generally a generous person so this challenge should be simple for me. :)
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    I helped someone carry something today. Oh college kids and their lots of stuff.
  • ljjorgensen
    Options
    Made coffee for the girls at work today and took it to there office to them.
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    Today, I talked with my co-worker (for close to an hour. no one was in the office). We were talking about losing weight, and she mentioned that she would chop her hair off as soon as she lost more weight. She said that her features were too overbearing for a short haircut. I replied, "I think you have very striking yet delicate features. I think you'd look gorgeous regardless of what hair style you choose."

Also, I stayed a little late after work to scan a document for a co-worker who had to stay at home today.
  • Twinmom1221
    Twinmom1221 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I sent an e-mail to my future sister-in-law about hosting a shower for her. Trust me, this is kindness. Plus I will deal with this part so my mother-in-law doesn't have to.
  • wvualum
    Options
    I looked up somethings for a neighbor on the internet, because he doesn't know how to.
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    Today I went out of my way to make sure someone woke up for an important meeting.