New Rules of Lifting (for Women) Group - Part 2

Options

Replies

• bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Supposedly HRM are NOT good for lifting.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/362964-so-explain-to-me-again-why-i-can-t-use-my-hrm

I went to a couple other websites that estimate calories burned from lifting and came up with about 200 for 30minutes, so that is what I am using at this point.

i wear my HRM on every workout i do....i log what i get and dont worry about the accuracy of it....mine is pretty good at staying connected to me though :)
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I don't use my HRM while lifting. You don't burn that many calories doing anaerobic exercise. The benefits are more long term.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Yes, like Elizabeth says :) I have had good success upping my calories and still losing inches at a steady rate (I started the program in a size 12/10 jean and now my 6s are getting annoyingly baggy.)

The nutshell version of eating and weight training while aiming for body recomposition (losing fat while gaining or at least keeping muscle) is this: You eat enough so that you can lift as heavy as possible so that you can build as much muscle as possible which takes up less space than fat does and also is "hungrier" than fat. If you look at my diary (today! I had a good "typical" day today) you can see how much what kind of food I eat. I could stand to drink more water, I know.
  • lauratws
    lauratws Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi there, i stalk here occasionally as i am already on a personalised strength training program but with very similar principles and its great to see all your motivation and how well you are all doing.

I just thought i would comment on the sore lower back whilst deadlifting issue that someone had (sorry i cant remember who it was). When deadlifting make sure that your shoulders are pulled back and your lats are engaged, also make sure you are squeezing your bum on the way up, this should minimise the strain on your lower back. My trainer stressed this point with my to avoind using your back as a crane situation.

Over and out.
  • idauria
    Options
    Hi there, i stalk here occasionally as i am already on a personalised strength training program but with very similar principles and its great to see all your motivation and how well you are all doing.

I just thought i would comment on the sore lower back whilst deadlifting issue that someone had (sorry i cant remember who it was). When deadlifting make sure that your shoulders are pulled back and your lats are engaged, also make sure you are squeezing your bum on the way up, this should minimise the strain on your lower back. My trainer stressed this point with my to avoind using your back as a crane situation.

Over and out.

Thank you for the tip! I have a hard time with proper from while doing deadlifts sometimes. The heavier I lift the harder it is to maintain proper form.
  • femmecyclist
    femmecyclist Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I bought the book on Friday and I'm starting tomorrow! Pretty excited - I like that the workouts look short at first. I AM nervous about eating as much as the book says, according to the calculations I should be eating 1,973 calories on non-workout days and 2,220 on the days I do workout. When I entered this into MFP it said I would be gaining half a pound a week haha! I'm just going to go for it though. I haven't been able to maintain major calorie deficits for a long time and my weight is within the healthy BMI range. The only thing I need to do now is really build up some muscle mass. I'm not convinced that losing more weight will make me less flabby - I need to BE stronger to look stronger.

All this to say I would love some reassurance ;) Did anyone keep an eye on their weight or did you just use measurements to track progress?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Okay, so who's made the leap and starting eating OVER maintenance?

I know from past experience that my maintenance is probably about 2300 (I lost while accidentally eating up to 2000) but the book calculates 2000 for me. I've got my goal set to 2000 but I often go over goal so I figured keeping it at 2000 is probably okay.... But I'm wondering if I should just really commit and try eating a little more...
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Okay, so who's made the leap and starting eating OVER maintenance?

I know from past experience that my maintenance is probably about 2300 (I lost while accidentally eating up to 2000) but the book calculates 2000 for me. I've got my goal set to 2000 but I often go over goal so I figured keeping it at 2000 is probably okay.... But I'm wondering if I should just really commit and try eating a little more...

I haven't...MFP calculates my maintenance as 1630 + exercise. The book tells me 1957 for a rest day and 2201 for a lifting day.

With exercise added in I'm usually eating somewhere between 1800-2000 a day. That worked for my first month of maintenance and I am doing official weigh and measure (scale, tape, BF monitor) on Wednesday so we'll see what happened for the second month.
  • idauria
    Options
    The book has me at 1547 on rest days so I reset my MFP goals to reflect that. On most days I don't even hit that number. I was afraid to go up during stage 1 but I am starting stage 2 tomorrow and I want to see if increasing cals makes a difference. I guess I am scared of gaining weight, but I understand his concept of needing more cals to life heavier. So we'll see what happens.
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I took yesterday off - totally. I didn't do anything but walk my dog and my workout today, Stage 2 - Workout B was AWESOME! It felt so good, even the box deadlifts that made me so sore the first day, felt good today with the same weight. I talked with the PT and he and I decided that the problem was probably when I was going back down to set it on the floor because my lift form is proper, according to him. So, if I'm sore after this session, I think I might start just dropping the weighted bar once I get to the level of the step.

I can't really comment much on calories because I don't count them - I'm aware, but I don't log or anything. But, I can say that I did start eating more when I started this program and I think it made all the difference in HELPING my body in the way it felt and looked.
  • idauria
    Options
    Ok, I just completed my first workout on stage 2. I had a hard time with the push/press. I did it with the regular olympic bar. While I could have done a whole bunch of squats I couldn't do more than 7 press ups. I did the horizontal woodchops laying down but I am not sure I did them right. I felt like I was flailing around on the floor. I saw a video on you tube of someone doing them on a swiss ball, I might try that next time since it seems you get a much greater range of motion than just laying on the floor. The one point rows were challenging but not hard. That could be because I started with 12.5 pounds in each hand. I was definitely more off kilter while standing on my left leg, since it's not my dominant one. But I like the exercise. I could feel it in my lats immediately. I kept the same weight with the step ups as I left off in stage 1, at 50 lbs. I think I am going to have a problem increasing my weight on those though. I have been using an ez curl bar with 15 lbs added. I can't use the squat rack because I don't have enough room to step away from the rack(it's a home gym and the bench with the squat rack is behind a window and there's not much room to move, I can do squats there but that's it). So I have to lift the ez curl bar from the floor. It's getting hard to do as I increase weight. So I am afraid to go beyond 50lbs. I'll take any ideas on that one. I liked the static lunges - I really felt them. I like them better than regular lunges, those are my least favorite of any exercise!

So overall, thumbs up to Stage 2, workout 1!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Ok, I just completed my first workout on stage 2. I had a hard time with the push/press. I did it with the regular olympic bar. While I could have done a whole bunch of squats I couldn't do more than 7 press ups. I did the horizontal woodchops laying down but I am not sure I did them right. I felt like I was flailing around on the floor. I saw a video on you tube of someone doing them on a swiss ball, I might try that next time since it seems you get a much greater range of motion than just laying on the floor. The one point rows were challenging but not hard. That could be because I started with 12.5 pounds in each hand. I was definitely more off kilter while standing on my left leg, since it's not my dominant one. But I like the exercise. I could feel it in my lats immediately. I kept the same weight with the step ups as I left off in stage 1, at 50 lbs. I think I am going to have a problem increasing my weight on those though. I have been using an ez curl bar with 15 lbs added. I can't use the squat rack because I don't have enough room to step away from the rack(it's a home gym and the bench with the squat rack is behind a window and there's not much room to move, I can do squats there but that's it). So I have to lift the ez curl bar from the floor. It's getting hard to do as I increase weight. So I am afraid to go beyond 50lbs. I'll take any ideas on that one. I liked the static lunges - I really felt them. I like them better than regular lunges, those are my least favorite of any exercise!

So overall, thumbs up to Stage 2, workout 1!

I really like it too and I was so soar the days after!!! Good job
  • idauria
    Options
    I'm worried that I didn't lift heavy enough. I felt like I was going backwards from stage 1. But like with the one point rows I was afraid of falling over if the dumbbells were too heavy. I will try 15 lbs next time and see how I do. The 12.5s were definitely not challenging enough.
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I'm worried that I didn't lift heavy enough. I felt like I was going backwards from stage 1. But like with the one point rows I was afraid of falling over if the dumbbells were too heavy. I will try 15 lbs next time and see how I do. The 12.5s were definitely not challenging enough.

I was pretty conservative with the first workout of Stage 2 as well, to be honest. It's a matter of getting used to the new moves. When I'm unfamiliar with a new exercise and am not sure I'll get the form right, I tend to err on the side of going too light rather than too heavy and risking an injury. Now that you're more familiar with it, you can increase the weights to a more challenging level next time! :)
  • idauria
    Options

I was pretty conservative with the first workout of Stage 2 as well, to be honest. It's a matter of getting used to the new moves. When I'm unfamiliar with a new exercise and am not sure I'll get the form right, I tend to err on the side of going too light rather than too heavy and risking an injury. Now that you're more familiar with it, you can increase the weights to a more challenging level next time! :)

That's exactly how I feel. I guess I need a baseline and now I have a better idea of where to go from here.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Thanks to my first Phase 3, Workout A (and that evil, evil body weight matrix) I'm having a hard time sitting down and getting up today. I really liked the new exercises in Workout A. The Dumbbell Single Arm Overhead Squat was definitely more challenging than I thought it would be. I'm also loving the One Armed Dumbbell Snatch and the Incline Bench Press. Although I hated the Body Weight Matrix (all 4 minutes and 50 seconds it took me to complete) I'm excited to see how I improve over the next three weeks. Anyone else in Phase 3? Thoughts? Opinions? Tips?
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Thanks to my first Phase 3, Workout A (and that evil, evil body weight matrix) I'm having a hard time sitting down and getting up today. I really liked the new exercises in Workout A. The Dumbbell Single Arm Overhead Squat was definitely more challenging than I thought it would be. I'm also loving the One Armed Dumbbell Snatch and the Incline Bench Press. Although I hated the Body Weight Matrix (all 4 minutes and 50 seconds it took me to complete) I'm excited to see how I improve over the next three weeks. Anyone else in Phase 3? Thoughts? Opinions? Tips?

I'll start Stage 3 next week! Today was my last workout of Stage 2 and I'm taking the rest of the week off of lifting - going on vacation and hope to hike 3 out of 4 days. I'm excited about Stage 3 and I'm going to stick to 3x/week religiously so that I'll be finished the week before Thanksgiving. Then Stage 4 in December!!!

How long did it take you to do the workout? I'm a little worried that with the increased rest time, it'll be hard for me to complete in an hour.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i plan on going back thru here and reading the thread but i need some input now as i'm starting stage 1 workout a tonight....how do you decide which of the formats to choose? for example, which squats to do?
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    i plan on going back thru here and reading the thread but i need some input now as i'm starting stage 1 workout a tonight....how do you decide which of the formats to choose? for example, which squats to do?

Not sure I follow you, do you mean how much weight to use? The squats in stage 1 are pretty straight forward and the book gives you the page number of each exercise.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options

Hey Denise!
    If the book gives you more than one option for an excercise, do the most challenging one that you can do with good form. It will depend on your fitness level. For example, the pushup - it gives you several options from 60-degree to a pushup on the floor (and even a T-pushup!!). when I started, I couldn't come close to 15 reps on the floor, so I started with the 45-degree pushup. PS - the pushup has become one of my favorite things to do for what it did to my triceps!!!

For squats in Level 1, it's only asking for the Barbell squat (aka back squat). The squats on the next page (partial singe-leg) are probably in future phases and not so much as a squat option. (I'm about to start Phase 3, so I don't know when you get to them, but I can't wait - I love squats!). I don't know that that is always 100% clear - especially when you're just starting.

Hope that helps some!!