DAILY SMILE Room . . Please stop by.

Options

Replies

• Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up. ~Mark Twain

Most people would rather be certain they're miserable, than risk being happy. ~Robert Anthony

:flowerforyou:

Man is fond of counting his troubles, but he does not count his joys. If he counted them up as he ought to, he would see that every lot has enough happiness provided for it. ~Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    The first step to happiness is deciding what you want, the second step is doing whatever it takes to get it and the last step is enjoying every minute of it.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Options
    The first step to happiness is deciding what you want, the second step is doing whatever it takes to get it and the last step is enjoying every minute of it.

Totally love this.. Thank you for stopping by. . would love to see you again sometime~
  • jlzrdking
    jlzrdking Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    "Happiness is a warm puppy"
    Charles M. Schulz

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."
    Steve Martin
  • reneekenhamlin
    reneekenhamlin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Feeling happy today!!!! Just joined MFP...and Its helping ....feeling so much better than I was three weeks ago...went to my doctor and my blood sugars are getting under control and I lost 10 pounds!!!!! Its not much yet but Its a start!!!! Just found out I am diabetic, Its scarey! So Its great to read these posts! Thanks everyone! Enjoy this beautiful.....smile smile smile!! :happy:
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    "Hell hath no fury like an 11-year-old boy whose pancakes have been stolen by his sister!" - my son.

My kiddos make me smile every day.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Options
    Feeling happy today!!!! Just joined MFP...and Its helping ....feeling so much better than I was three weeks ago...went to my doctor and my blood sugars are getting under control and I lost 10 pounds!!!!! Its not much yet but Its a start!!!! Just found out I am diabetic, Its scarey! So Its great to read these posts! Thanks everyone! Enjoy this beautiful.....smile smile smile!! :happy:

Congratulations. .that is a lot actually . . you are doing superb. . thank you for the inspiration as I really need to go and get tested for diabetes . . . and I have been putting it off. .Please come again~
  • Minnesnowtagurl
    Minnesnowtagurl Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    ...Being able to swim in clothes that used to cut off circulation :bigsmile:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    This is what is making me smile this week!!!
    316130_247512281953039_100000828076987_627467_1111135270_n.jpg
    My new niece Avonlea Anne!!!!!!!

AWWWWWWWWWW! Congratulations!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: She's beautiful!
  • mommared53
    Options
    Oh I got one! I got one! Yesterday evening I was sitting at Kent Station waiting for my bus when a lady that I see every once in a while (she sells snacks) spoke to me and told me I look pretty with my long hair. :happy: That made me feel so good. :smile:

Great thread Jade. Thanks for starting it. :flowerforyou:
  • clarech82
    clarech82 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    My kids make me smile everyday!! And seeing my friends one week old baby :)
  • mommared53
    Options
    Last night my daughter told me her hubby bought a new steam cleaner for their carpets. She was so excited about it. Today, she sent me before and after pics (via cell phone) of her carpet cause she's so proud of it. :laugh: Made me smile. She's so cute! She's going to come over to my place on Saturday and clean my carpets for me. YAY! That really makes me smile! :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Options
    "Hell hath no fury like an 11-year-old boy whose pancakes have been stolen by his sister!" - my son.

My kiddos make me smile every day.

lol. . you ain't kiddin. .I bet there was some heck of noise in that kitchen~:bigsmile:
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Options
    ...Being able to swim in clothes that used to cut off circulation :bigsmile:

Amen to that~ that will definitely make you smile~!
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Options
    "Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to."

"Is tuna really Chicken?" - Jessica Simpson, after reading "Tuna, Chicken of the sea"
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Options
    May the smile on your face Come straight from your heart

Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things :laugh:

How come you play at a recital, but recite at a play?
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Options
    THREE KEYS TO LASTING HAPPINESS:

If you had to choose three keys to lasting happiness, what would they be? For me, those keys are gratitude, connecting with others and giving. It is not rocket science, although science has proven how these habits can make you live longer, enjoy better health and get more joy out of life.

Gratitude: A simple practice of writing down or otherwise reflecting on a few things you are grateful for has huge benefits. Psychologists Robert Emmons and Michael McCullough have researched that gratitude is the "forgotten factor" in happiness research. The benefits of expressing gratitude range from improved physical health to improved mental alertness.

People who express gratitude are also more likely to offer emotional support to others. Even little things count, like being grateful for that delicious bowl of soup, exchanging a special smile or noticing how your pet greets you when you get home. Just jotting these down even a few times a week changes your neural pathways and actually makes you happier.

Connection: In our culture, there are all sorts of classic heroes -- often loners who make their way despite all obstacles. Yet, there is an underlying longing for connection that we all share at some level. The Dalai Lama points out, "We human beings are social beings. We come into the world as the result of others' actions. We survive here in dependence on others. Whether we like it or not, there is hardly a moment of our lives when we do not benefit from others' activities. For this reason, it is hardly surprising that most of our happiness arises in the context of our relationships with others."

Giving: There are many ways of giving; we can volunteer; we can be present for a conversation; we can give gifts to others. We've all heard the expression that money cannot buy happiness. Taking that a step further, a 2008 study showed that spending money on others leads to higher happiness levels than spending money on oneself (Dunn et al., 2008). In an experiment, one group was given either five or 20 dollars to spend on themselves.

A second group was given the same amount to spend on others as a gift or donation. It turned out that those giving to others were happier at the end of the day than the group spending money on themselves, and the amount given did not even matter. John Templeton has a quote I love: "Happiness comes from giving not getting. If we try to bring happiness to others, we cannot stop it from coming to us also. To get joy we must give it, and to keep joy, we must scatter it."

Making It Real: So, how to walk the talk? As you may or may not know, I founded a nonprofit called Project Happiness that specializes in emotional resilience-building programs that are used by people of any age and endorsed by public schools, private institutions and Universities, around the U.S. and the world. The purpose is to provide proven techniques to cultivate one's own authentic happiness.

We're having our annual fundraiser coming up, and I'm trying to figure out how to embody in the event the principles that we talk about.

A-ha. Our programs focus on helping youth deal with stress, but what about all the people who choose to put themselves in positions of stress in order to help others -- why not share some happiness with them? One of my best friends is a nurse and I know first hand what she deals with. She is just one of the many people on the front lines dealing with trauma and mounting stressors, the caregivers and protectors of our society -- firefighters, nurses and doctors, those in the military and our teachers. These individuals do so much for our community -- they are truly our unsung heroes. Wouldn't it be wonderful to invite them to our "Runway to Happiness" event?

The decision was so natural. Now we are having people from each of these groups join the party, and share in the happiness. After all, they deserve so much; and happiness, like laughter, is contagious. I'm truly excited to be doing this.

There are many ways to put gratitude, connection and giving into our lives. What are some ways that you have done this in your own life? Who are some of your heroes?
  • LaComadreja14
    LaComadreja14 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    My baby SoCo was born 12/12/10...... this is his first winter and since he's always been a big boy (I got him at 11 weeks and hes been on a natural/holistic diet ever since) I didn't think he would chunk up much for the winter.... its only October and he has already gained a pound... maybe two. He is giant and it makes momma soooo happy!
    SOZY.png
    SOZY1.png
  • mommared53
    Options
    My baby SoCo was born 12/12/10...... this is his first winter and since he's always been a big boy (I got him at 11 weeks and hes been on a natural/holistic diet ever since) I didn't think he would chunk up much for the winter.... its only October and he has already gained a pound... maybe two. He is giant and it makes momma soooo happy!
    This is him last night:
    IMG_2404.jpg
    IMG_2371.jpg

What happened to the pictures? :huh:
  • LaComadreja14
    LaComadreja14 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    This is him last night:
    IMG_2404.jpg
    IMG_2371.jpg

What happened to the pictures? :huh:

fixed, lol... I don't know why it does that when I try to post pics from an album other than my home album