Thinner for Thanksgiving! 7 week challenge

Options

Replies

• Mandalicious
    Options
    @Kelly -How has it been with all of your work meetings?
    @ Maria - how are you this week, too?
    @Joe - totally recovered from that nasty cold? How is your dad?
    @Samwelli - gonna get that goal of 190 this week? :)
    @Keisha - how is that new daily calorie goal working for you?
  • henney16
    henney16 Posts: 288
    Options

Look at our fearless leader checking in on everyone. I love this group! Hope you are all doing well. Keep plugging along everyone!!!

Dave
  • samwelli
    Options

I hope so. I was ready to quit at the gym tonight after one hour, but I kept sying 189 189 189. I completed 65 minutes on treadmill and 65 on stationary bike and set personal bests for distance in that time on both.
  • samwelli
    Options

Look at our fearless leader checking in on everyone. I love this group! Hope you are all doing well. Keep plugging along everyone!!!

Dave I am looking forward to the pa Ohio ride. I have multiple day rides back back weekends. The pan ohio and the tri state trek for ALS

Dave
  • henney16
    Options

Dave I am looking forward to the pa Ohio ride. I have multiple day rides back back weekends. The pan ohio and the tri state trek for ALS

Dave

Getting myself ready physically - just need to save up for a road bike. All my extra funds right now are being put aside to have some cash on hand while my wife is on maternity leave. Once January comes, I can start saving for my bike!
  • MarineWifey09
    Options
    Ditto, Dave. I have been SO busy in the past week. Not complaining, though...just stating the facts.

I have been getting my workout time in, though. Today, I walked two miles with my boys in the stroller this morning, then I jogged 3 miles in the afternoon between tutoring sessions. I also have been doing my bridges (one-legged - sore badonkadonk!). Sneak some jumping jacks in when I am otherwise too busy to get a good jog/walk/lifting session.

Now for the bummer. I have really been struggling in the food department. My mornings start off great, but I keep getting major urges to eat everything in sight by early afternoon. On Sunday, I literally had to leave.my.house and go for a walk just so I could fight my food cravings. What is up? (And, no, I am not pregnant.) Also, my dinners have been complicated by too many restaurant visits. Saturday I went out with my husband before the symphony, Monday is our normal date night/happy hour, then tonight I got home from working too late to cook and we went out for sushi. Even with pretty good choices, those darn calories add up so fast when you're dining out. So... Wednesday and Thursday we are eating at home! I actually have tutoring appointments from 8 to 5:30 tomorrow, so I am about to go make turkey noodle soup to reheat and eat with salad tomorrow night.

@Jay and Mimi - are you ladies feeling better now?
    @Wimberley - gotta let us know what you did with your personal trainer!

Turkey noodle sounds amazing!!!

My trainer went hard on me with cardio. We did interval sprints on the elliptical. Level 5 and I went hard every other minute between 8-10 mph and took a 60 second break at level 4 or higher did that for 10 minutes with a 5 minute warm up. Then I did the rowing maching with 30 second sprint intervals for the back and arms....then we did lunges and squats then finished with sit ups. Next Monday she said we will do nothing but weights....I will prepare to really feel the burn with that, LOL.
  • samwelli
    Options
    I have two treadmill routines and I alternate each day.

On day 1 I choose level 14-15 hills course and start off warming up at 3.8 mph. At 10 minutes I go to 4.1 then increase by one tenth every ten minutes. When I hit 60 minutes I bump it up to 4.7 for the final 5 minute "cool down."

On day 2 I choose a flat course. Again I start at 3.8 mph, but I bump my speed up to 4.3 at ten minutes, then to 6.0 at 15 minutes. I try to do one mile at that speed and then slow it to 4.5 for a two to three minute cool down. Then I do it again.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to improve?

This is the first time I my life I have been able to jog at all. My allergist wants to know what is wrong with me, since my resting heart rate is down to 44.
  • MarineWifey09
    Options
    I have two treadmill routines and I alternate each day.

On day 1 I choose level 14-15 hills course and start off warming up at 3.8 mph. At 10 minutes I go to 4.1 then increase by one tenth every ten minutes. When I hit 60 minutes I bump it up to 4.7 for the final 5 minute "cool down."

On day 2 I choose a flat course. Again I start at 3.8 mph, but I bump my speed up to 4.3 at ten minutes, then to 6.0 at 15 minutes. I try to do one mile at that speed and then slow it to 4.5 for a two to three minute cool down. Then I do it again.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to improve?

This is the first time I my life I have been able to jog at all. My allergist wants to know what is wrong with me, since my resting heart rate is down to 44.

Try this:
    Start 2 min warm up at 0 incline
    move to 1 min @ level 4 incline
    3 @ 8
    2@ 12
    1@ 3
    2@ 10
    1@ 12
    4@ 7
    2@ 12
    2@ 6

Cool down for however long you like.
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options

The cold has mostly retreated. My dad is home from the hospital. It is good to have him back home. Thanks for checking in!

BTW... Maxed out the leg press sled yesterday. It will only fit 9, 45lb plates on each side. So my leg press is 5 sets of 8 reps; 7 plates, 8 plates, 9 , 8, 7. 810 pounds. It was a good workout. I can probably kick like a donkey now, but I'm not about to test that theory any time soon.
  • Balanced_Life
    Balanced_Life Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    @Jay and Mimi - are you ladies feeling better now?
    @ Mandy - I'm back to normal now, thanks for asking!

I didn't start exercising again until Tues. of this week, so I don't think I made much progress on the weight loss front this week -- we'll see what the scale says tomorrow morning!
  • samwelli
    Options
    I don't think I am going to meet my weight goal for the week, but I am ok with it. I know I did quite a bit a the gym and kept m meals smaller than normal. See everyone here on friday with your new weight.
  • Balanced_Life
    Options
    BTW... Maxed out the leg press sled yesterday. It will only fit 9, 45lb plates on each side. So my leg press is 5 sets of 8 reps; 7 plates, 8 plates, 9 , 8, 7. 810 pounds. It was a good workout. I can probably kick like a donkey now, but I'm not about to test that theory any time soon.
    @Joe - holy cow! That's a HUGE amount of weight! Great job!
  • MarineWifey09
    Options
    So all my pumpkin lovers...you need to try this recipe: 1 can pureed pumpkin, 1 box of spice cake mix. Preheat oven to 350 and mix two ingredients together. Bake for about 30 minutes. Yields about 12 servings at only 180 calories each....but I made about 16 or 17 servings so it will be a little less....that's good because I just pigged out!! Lol! Someone will be working extra hard at the gym tomorrow!!!!
  • samwelli
    Options
    Official weight for this week is again 191.5. No weight loss this week, but I am ok with it. I know there are weeks where we hit a wall. Since I started this weight loss in march, this is the third time where I had no loss. The other two periods lasted for two to three weeks each and required me to enhance my gym routine, so be ready for some bigger calorie burns next week!!!

Good luck to everyone else!!!
  • henney16
    Options
    10/21 weigh in = 230.8 pounds.

Huge loss this week. I have a feeling it is because of the running I've added in this past week. Last night I did a 5k in 35 minutes. Didn't break any records with this, but my pace was like 11:15 per mile. My first mile came in under 10 minutes because I was really pushing myself, but had to walk here and there because I don't have the stamina to run that much contiunously (yet). Just another thing for me to add in there and change things up and keep the body guessing.

By the way, I weighed myself a good 10 times this morning, move the scale around to make sure it was sitting flat, etc and got the same thing 8 times out of 10, just ot make sure! (one time I had 230.6 and another 231). Anyway, this coming week will be a challenge for me as I'll be on a business trip with catered food and what not, so I'll have to make good choices. Won't really be loggin food, but I'll have some free time here and there to check in with you guys!

Dave
  • henney16
    Options
    Official weight for this week is again 191.5. No weight loss this week, but I am ok with it. I know there are weeks where we hit a wall. Since I started this weight loss in march, this is the third time where I had no loss. The other two periods lasted for two to three weeks each and required me to enhance my gym routine, so be ready for some bigger calorie burns next week!!!

You're right, there are weeks like this. Not a bad deal to only have had 3 times where you haven't recorded a loss. I know that I've been going at this since May, and there's been a few times where I didn't go anywhere and (Labor Day Weekend) where I recorded a slight gain. Your body changes contiunously even if you don't eat anything, so you could weigh yourself tomorrow it get a better weight. Good luck to you this week!
  • Balanced_Life
    Options
    Week 0: 136.8 (starting weight)
    Week 1: 133.8
    Week 2: 136.4 (sick)
    Week 3: 133.2

I was really pleased to find that I was down 3.2 lbs since last week! I didn't think I'd lose much weight this week since I didn't start exercising again until Tues. of this week, when I finally had some energy again (after not exercising for 9 consecutive days due to being sick).

Part of the weight loss is probably due to losing retained water, but I did try to get in some extra exercise during the past 3 days, and that might have helped. In any case, today's number was very encouraging to see...and I'm pretty happy that right now I'm on track with my goal of losing 1 lb/week.

I need to make sure I don't get sick anymore during the rest of the challenge! :smile:
  • Balanced_Life
    Options
    10/21 weigh in = 230.8 pounds.

Huge loss this week. I have a feeling it is because of the running I've added in this past week. Last night I did a 5k in 35 minutes. Didn't break any records with this, but my pace was like 11:15 per mile. My first mile came in under 10 minutes because I was really pushing myself, but had to walk here and there because I don't have the stamina to run that much contiunously (yet). Just another thing for me to add in there and change things up and keep the body guessing.

By the way, I weighed myself a good 10 times this morning, move the scale around to make sure it was sitting flat, etc and got the same thing 8 times out of 10, just ot make sure! (one time I had 230.6 and another 231). Anyway, this coming week will be a challenge for me as I'll be on a business trip with catered food and what not, so I'll have to make good choices. Won't really be loggin food, but I'll have some free time here and there to check in with you guys!

Dave
    Fantastic job this week! All of that running really paid off! And it sounds like you're doing a great job of increasing your speed and fitness. :drinker:

Business trips are tough. Eating out all of the time is really challenging...as is finding time to exercise. But I'm sure you can do it! Hope everything goes smoothly on your trip. Glad you'll have time to let us know how you're doing!
  • Balanced_Life
    Options

Its OK, there are going to be times like that. The important thing is that you're eating well and exercising regularly!

But if you want some ideas on breaking out of plateaus, check out this article: http://www.burnthefatblog.com/archives/2011/01/unexplainable-fat-loss-plateaus-explained.php That article might give you some insight on things that you can do differently to start losing again.
  • ratsyroo
    ratsyroo Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Today I weighed 19.2--so no loss this week . I'm pretty sure I'm retaining water or something right now (or hoping that 's it!). I am about to leave for a women's retreat with some ladies from my church. We'll be eating out at least twice and I probably won't have much say in where we go so.....gotta commit to finding healthier options and hopefully not mess up too much this week.

Looks like everyone is doing great!! Keep up the good work, guys! =)