A question for fellow MFP users

Options

Replies

• bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    So, no resoinse Road Dog??
    I'm not going to repeat myself again, but here's the abbreviated version of my opinion.

If you want contol, start your own site. Otherwise, stay and deal with it, or deactivate and don't deal with it.

I was not questioning the site owners or mods,I was asking a question to the people that have a problem with the pics. So there was no need to repeat yourself in the first place. This thread was not started in protest of the pictures being removed it was a question for other users

This continually comes up. I don't understand why. Common courtesy dictates that when I come into YOUR home, I respect your wishes and rules, AND, when you visit my home, YOU abide by my rules and wishes. If I am morally or ethically unable to live with your rules, I won't visit your home. And, of course, vice versa. What I will not do, is try and change your home and I do not welcome your change in my own.

I TOTALLY get and RESPECT what you are saying, however, not EVERYTHING that was pulled was explicit or risque. But, I am not one to determine which thing pictures can stay and which should go. No! Mine was not a thong and neither was a friends who was completely clothed, lol. But, I'm not the shot caller, so I will post only acceptable ones from now on.

Bry
  • Andi67
    Andi67 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Can't we all just get along....my opinion is if you don't like it, don't look at it....move on....live and let live....MYOB...and all that good stuff. I am new hear but what I am seeing is a great group of folks supporting each other. We all have different values, senses of humor, and so on. Post what you think is appropriate and if it gets reported, then it gets removed...life goes on. Don't be afraid to express yourself in the manner that you see fit! :bigsmile:
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    So, no resoinse Road Dog??
    I'm not going to repeat myself again, but here's the abbreviated version of my opinion.

If you want contol, start your own site. Otherwise, stay and deal with it, or deactivate and don't deal with it.

I was not questioning the site owners or mods,I was asking a question to the people that have a problem with the pics. So there was no need to repeat yourself in the first place. This thread was not started in protest of the pictures being removed it was a question for other users

This continually comes up. I don't understand why. Common courtesy dictates that when I come into YOUR home, I respect your wishes and rules, AND, when you visit my home, YOU abide by my rules and wishes. If I am morally or ethically unable to live with your rules, I won't visit your home. And, of course, vice versa. What I will not do, is try and change your home and I do not welcome your change in my own.

I TOTALLY get and RESPECT what you are saying, however, not EVERYTHING that was pulled was explicit or risque. But, I am not one to determine which thing pictures can stay and which should go. No! Mine was not a thong and neither was a friends who was completely clothed, lol. But, I'm not the shot caller, so I will post only acceptable ones from now on.

Bry

No Ma'am.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Saw the hightlights. Nope, Torres is not worth the money. Frankly, though, I don't think any sports star is worth that kind of money.

You're right about Torres though or any individual player. Unfortunately I think Abramovich's involvement has distorted the European transfer market. It's just getting worse now with the likes of Al Nayhan at Man City. I'm going to stop now before I have a giant rant...
  • TheRoadDog
    Options

Saw the hightlights. Nope, Torres is not worth the money. Frankly, though, I don't think any sports star is worth that kind of money.

You're right about Torres though or any individual player. Unfortunately I think Abramovich's involvement has distorted the European transfer market. It's just getting worse now with the likes of Al Nayhan at Man City. I'm going to stop now before I have a giant rant...

I agree. Too much going on right now, to watch as many games as I would like, so I concentrate on my favorite teams. That means UEFA and , specifically, Barca. Although, I would watch any team that had Messi on it.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Well it's no secret as far as I go. . I don't want my daughter walking by the computer seeing breasts or bottoms in the camera. . a bikini where you are standing back from the camera to show progress is perfectly fine. . nothing wrong with that. . So I just think it comes down to how you present the picture. .

Believe me when I get my boxing body back I will be showing my progress. . . but I think there are limits . . for me a tank top and shorts can show my progress just fine. . or perhaps a bathing suit.

That's you. It's just too bad that we aren't subjected to the same rules as everything else in society. You watch TV? You will see and hear more, much more there than you would ever think of seeing here! we ARE adults. You are supposed to be to be on this site (though clearly that is only lightly enforced). PG-13 is pretty clear as far as the standards that should be enforced - no nudity. If you see nipple (ridiculous in and of itself that it is considered adult only - IMO), or crotch that's inappropriate. But seriously, unless you live in Gnome or Fairbanks, maybe Moscow, you see more during the summer on the sidewalks of Anytown USA, or at any public beach. Adults should be treated like adults.

Precisely. .and as a Christian mom. . we don't watch much tv for that very reason. . because there are too many risque scenes and foul language and such. . so I preview all programs that my daughter is allowed to view. . we watch things like sing off, biggest loser, x-factor, and of couse (selected cartoons)
    I have seen pictures where they are not wearing much on biggest loser. What do you do in the summer? Are your children not allowed to go to the beach? Are they homeschooled? I walked into a grade school hallway, and those kids were wearing next to nothing! Booties hanging out, shirts too small and too tight. That was in a public setting, not on a website. If you limit the access to these other images, why don't you limit yourself from this site and other websites since they are not in your standards?
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options

There are people that have pictures in their gallery for some time that are now being deleted that have never been presented as a profile pic. Sure, abide by the rules, but don't enforce them sudden;y when they haven't been enforced before, and without warning.

So that's what happened to my Warrior Dash pic!! Seriously?? I was covered in mud - head to toe and I was wearing a tank top and long pants. Maybe it was the post race banana I was eating?? Guess a banana gets the boot now, huh??!!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Can't we all just get along....my opinion is if you don't like it, don't look at it....move on....live and let live....MYOB...and all that good stuff. I am new hear but what I am seeing is a great group of folks supporting each other. We all have different values, senses of humor, and so on. Post what you think is appropriate and if it gets reported, then it gets removed...life goes on. Don't be afraid to express yourself in the manner that you see fit! :bigsmile:

Love this! /\
  • myofibril
    Options

I agree. Too much going on right now, to watch as many games as I would like, so I concentrate on my favorite teams. That means UEFA and , specifically, Barca. Although, I would watch any team that had Messi on it.

Messi is amazing. At the last World Cup I was secretly supporting Argentina just because the man has so much skill and talent (although I was secretly double crossing with the Dutch as well because Cruyff was such a legend and I would have loved to have seen them win for his legacy..)

Barca are superb and play attractive football. Messi, Xavi, Iniesta...I can understand why people love them.
  • TheRoadDog
    Options

Messi is amazing. At the last World Cup I was secretly supporting Argentina just because the man has so much skill and talent (although I was secretly double crossing with the Dutch as well because Cruyff was such a legend and I would have loved to have seen them win for his legacy..)

Barca are superb and play attractive football. Messi, Xavi, Iniesta...I can understand why people love them.

I was rooting for Argentina for the same reason.
  • Mike
    Mike Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Folks - let's keep the topic on track. Please do not hijack the topic and derail it by discussing matters not related to the original topic - it's not polite and against the forum rules.
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    I don't find the ads or profile pics offensive. I don't offend easily! I view both as motivation! If I am ever offended I'll simply skim past or go to another forum!
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    It is humorous that there seems to have been no complaints about this thread either.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/371100-ladies

Oh NOOOOOO! Now you'll get the best thread of all time shut down! Lol I love the Ladies thread!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    im still confused about bikini pics. are they allowed or not? and just to clairfy, under-garments(except sports bras) are not ok?
  • myofibril
    Options
    Folks - let's keep the topic on track. Please do not hijack the topic and derail it by discussing matters not related to the original topic - it's not polite and against the forum rules.

Awwww, but I love football Mike and you said banana hammock...

Ok, fair's fair. I will stop.
  • Mike
    Mike Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    im still confused about bikini pics. are they allowed or not? and just to clairfy, under-garments(except sports bras) are not ok?

These types of rules are very hard to define, but in general, bikini pics are ok as long as they don't show excessive cleavage or buttocks (i.e. thongs or very small bikinis), and as long as the photo isn't a close-up of your cleavage, butt, breasts or crotch. We reserve the right to remove any photo that we feel is inappropriate, so these aren't hard and fast rules, but they should help give you an idea of what is permitted and what isn't.
  • couponfun
    couponfun Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    My opinion on the ads - some of them are risque and some are gross, but everything is a matter of opinion.

As to the matter of the pictures and kids, here's my view -

I was raised Roman Catholic, couldn't wear anything suggestive, couldn't see anything suggestive, MTV not allowed, no dating, no parties, no talking to boys, etc etc. I lashed out the moment I could and rebelled, and I ended up paying the price later on for my stupidity (but that's another subject).

There are things that are appropriate and things that are not depending on the age. As parents it's our JOB to TEACH what is appropriate and what is not, instead of them trying to figure it out in secret or behind our backs. My daughter (age 9, but in middle school already) knows that what is okay for a 14 yo girl to wear is not okay for her to wear. I taught her this not by hiding the world from her but by teaching her.

As for the actual pictures there are pictures that are not appropriate for kids, but what are kids doing on here? What are kids doing over your shoulder on a diet website? I'd be more concerned about the side effect of your child worrying so much about their own eating that they develop an eating disorder. There are malware, pop ups, viruses all over the place. If you're researching breast cancer, what do you think is going to come up? Do you want your kid to see an inappropriate pop-up?

Yes there are rules here and if you're here you should follow them, but if PG13 is the rule then nothing really that I've seen has really crossed the line. And again it circles back to someone's opinion of what is okay and is not versus what is ACTUALLY okay and what is not.

anyways....my 2 cents.
  • TheRoadDog
    Options

Zip
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    My opinion on the ads - some of them are risque and some are gross, but everything is a matter of opinion.

As to the matter of the pictures and kids, here's my view -

I was raised Roman Catholic, couldn't wear anything suggestive, couldn't see anything suggestive, MTV not allowed, no dating, no parties, no talking to boys, etc etc. I lashed out the moment I could and rebelled, and I ended up paying the price later on for my stupidity (but that's another subject).

There are things that are appropriate and things that are not depending on the age. As parents it's our JOB to TEACH what is appropriate and what is not, instead of them trying to figure it out in secret or behind our backs. My daughter (age 9, but in middle school already) knows that what is okay for a 14 yo girl to wear is not okay for her to wear. I taught her this not by hiding the world from her but by teaching her.

As for the actual pictures there are pictures that are not appropriate for kids, but what are kids doing on here? What are kids doing over your shoulder on a diet website? I'd be more concerned about the side effect of your child worrying so much about their own eating that they develop an eating disorder. There are malware, pop ups, viruses all over the place. If you're researching breast cancer, what do you think is going to come up? Do you want your kid to see an inappropriate pop-up?

Yes there are rules here and if you're here you should follow them, but if PG13 is the rule then nothing really that I've seen has really crossed the line. And again it circles back to someone's opinion of what is okay and is not versus what is ACTUALLY okay and what is not.

anyways....my 2 cents.

Thank you,very well put.:happy:
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    I have seen pictures where they are not wearing much on biggest loser. What do you do in the summer? Are your children not allowed to go to the beach? Are they homeschooled? I walked into a grade school hallway, and those kids were wearing next to nothing! Booties hanging out, shirts too small and too tight. That was in a public setting, not on a website. If you limit the access to these other images, why don't you limit yourself from this site and other websites since they are not in your standards?
    [/quote]

So I guess I need to state it one more time. . Inappropriate sites are blocked on my computer due to content to protect my daughter. . as well as I screen the tv shows that she is allowed to view. . It is my preference. . due to my own personal beliefs. Everyone has their own beliefs and standards and I will not tell others what to do in their home. . but I do not want to turn on MFP which is here for help and support and have my daughter view inappropriate images. . that should not happen in this setting.

As for her schooling I said it earlier. . there is a very strict dress code in place at her school prohibiting scant clothing, alcohol adds, half shirts, cleavage, anything that would distract students from their learning experience. . As for the beach. . yes people wear suits, but they are not right up in your face. . Like I said there is nothing wrong with wearing bikinis and such. . I love them. . it is how they are presented. .

My daughter told her cousin when he visited last time. . that walking around topless was inappropriate and that he needed a shirt. . lol. . I had to tell her it is different for guys.

EDIT: for the record. . I don't total shelter my daughter because I think that is wrong, but I do teach her what I believe to be the difference between right and wrong. . just because other kids do things does not make them something I want my daughter involved in. . It is my job to raise my daughter in a Christianly fashion. . and I will continue to do so to the best of my ability as I am nowhere near perfect. .