Canning Club!

Options
12345679»

Replies

• TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    What a great thread! I am new to canning and hoping to get some good ideas, tips etc.

One great and free way to start is to google your local extension office (sometimes called agricultural extension office). They usually offer canning classes so you can learn in person how to do things safely.

Of course online there are some awesome resources from various places. I would generally stick to things associated with universities - Univ of Georgia is a major one in the canning field. Also, there are federal sites - USDA I think?

Here's the link to UG's info: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/

And just to save you time: local extension offices
    http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/
  • letstrythisagain
    Options
    thanks for the tips!
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    So excited for some fall fruits! Getting pears in a week and then apples will be in soon. I think I might do pearsauce this year instead of sliced pears like I did last year.

Anyone do pearsauce? Did you do it just like applesauce?
  • katdanash
    katdanash Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jessy for the link to the thread....

This is my favorite thing to can...

homemade v8 juice..
    I just cut up the tomatoes, add celery , onion, carrots, green peppers, hotpeppers, garlic I use a large canner cook this down until the veggies are all tender. Put through a food mill and put back on to cook adding spices. including cinnamon stick , garlic powder, celery seed, a litle salt and pepper. cook til as thick as you want it.. then put in jars and cook in hotwater bath for 30 mins... so darn good...
    kat
    sorry no i don't have exact messurments... but ususally takes 1/2 bunch of celery, 6 or 8 green peppers and 1 to 2 lbs of carrots.. hot peppers to taste and about 6 onions .
  • karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    Well, the pearsauce adventure went well.

10 pints, 2 quarts. I hope everything turns out ok when we open the jars. I'm not sure if bf put the rings on tight enough, so they leaked in the water bath. *crosses fingers*
  • nurse_christieyne
    Options
    Bump for later
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    Super excited! Ordered 2 bushels of apples and half a bushel of concord grapes. I might add more grapes to my order since it would be nice to have more juice around. Anyway, I'll have a factory in my kitchen next week. Applesauce, grape jelly and juice!
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Here's a link about the acidity and boiling/pressure canning:

http://www.umext.maine.edu/onlinepubs/htmpubs/4078.htm

I'm glad you posted that. I was just about to comment that you have to watch what you can in a waterbath as opposed to a pressure cooker.
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    Here's a link about the acidity and boiling/pressure canning:

http://www.umext.maine.edu/onlinepubs/htmpubs/4078.htm

I'm glad you posted that. I was just about to comment that you have to watch what you can in a waterbath as opposed to a pressure cooker.

I've been told you shouldn't use a pressure cooker, something to do with the thickness of the metal. I have a pressure canner that I bought and can use as a pressure cooker, but I wouldn't go the other direction.
  • 20dee
    20dee Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have canned this crockpot apple butter ( http://www.southernplate.com/2008/07/crock-pot-apple-butter.html ) and it is not only delicious but fills my house with a wonderful fall aroma. I did however substitute half the sugar with a sugar substitute.
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    Stopping by for a bump and sharing that I took a pickling class this week. It was based on this stuff: perfectpickler.com and the inventor guy was the speaker. Interesting stuff.

Happy canning everyone!
  • JJs25th
    JJs25th Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I know this isn't "canning", but it is home food preservation related: I received a FoodSaver for Xmas. I'm in love. It's great. So for those of you into the food preservation, it's another device that is super simple to use and can help a lot to preserve the great products of summer.

One last thing, anyone know anything about preserving oats? We are getting a 50# bag of steel cut oats on the 6th and I'm not sure what to do to keep them "fresh" or how long they are good for.

Vacumm seal them and keep dry. I use the same canning jars and lids. You can get the attachment for the Foodsaver on their web site. I have both sizes so I can do both size jars. THIS IS NOT CANNING type preservation, but oats will keep pretty near forever as long as they are are kept dry and bug free. I do this with flour, rice, stevia packets and some pasta. I use the FS to seal the lid -- with out the screw cap on it. Then I put a screw cap on it to make sure the lid stays sealed. I check these about once a month or so just to make sure the seal is still holding. IF you don't use the screw cap the seal can let go during times of extreme weather presure change (thunderstorns, hurricains, blizzards, etc.)
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    Oh, and I know this isn't "canning", but it is home food preservation related: I received a FoodSaver for Xmas. I'm in love. It's great. So for those of you into the food preservation, it's another device that is super simple to use and can help a lot to preserve the great products of summer.

One last thing, anyone know anything about preserving oats? We are getting a 50# bag of steel cut oats on the 6th and I'm not sure what to do to keep them "fresh" or how long they are good for.

Vacumm seal them and keep dry. I use the same canning jars and lids. You can get the attachment for the Foodsaver on their web site. I have both sizes so I can do both size jars. THIS IS NOT CANNING type preservation, but oats will keep pretty near forever as long as they are are kept dry and bug free. I do this with flour, rice, stevia packets and some pasta. I use the FS to seal the lid -- with out the screw cap on it. Then I put a screw cap on it to make sure the lid stays sealed. I check these about once a month or so just to make sure the seal is still holding. IF you don't use the screw cap the seal can let go during times of extreme weather presure change (thunderstorns, hurricains, blizzards, etc.)

Thanks! I'll have to look for them. Hopefully they have some big jars. It's a sack of oats. haha And I have a bag of rapadura.