Gaining Muscle is NOT that easy.

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    Yes a movie. Angela Bassett had to train for the movie. Why is it so hard for you people to believe that it doesn't take a year or years to get muscular arms.
    Your definition of muscular arms is that of a person who has low body fat and definition. 15 year old boys have muscular arms without working out because they have low body fat according to how you see muscularity.
    I have yet to have someone tell me how long it takes a person to get muscular arms.
    You can't put a time line since there are so many variables. If you're talking about putting muscle on and NOT just losing body fat around them to show definition, it will take some time since muscle isn't easily achieved as has been stated over and over again.
    I haven't done P90x. I have used it as an example. The workout doesn't interest me.
    Like stated in another post, P90X isn't NOT a muscle building program.
    Fact: Everyone's body is different. A person can only speak for their own body. They can't speak for someone else's body. No one can speak for my body, but me.
    While true there are basic guidelines proven by science. To gain muscle isn't as easy as you make it sound regardless of each person's make up. You stated with Angela Bassett it took 30 days, but being with her already being in shape it was just a minor shift in her nutrition that made the difference. For someone who's of average build to look like her would take quite some time to get there.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Now we're talking. Angela Bassett, if you've looked at any of her movies before "What's Love Got to do with It?" was already in phenomenal shape. Like any other Figure competitor she just lower her calories to lose body fat. Her arms were already muscular, they were just more DEFINED.
    So I think when you speak of muscularity you're speaking of definition and NOT building muscular size.
    The same thing happened with Jessica Biel in her role in Blade III. She got cut up for the movie and looked bigger than before, but weighed less than when she started.

Angela Bassett arms are known as muscular arms. Madonna arms are known as muscular arms. They aren't bodybuilders. Chyna is a bodybuilder. Her arms are big in muscle size. Bigger than there. That's why I say there's a difference between a Angela Bassett arms and Chyna bodybuilder arms.

Again, it doesn't take long for a person to get muscular arms, as in Angela Bassett, Madonna, Jillian Michael, Serena Williams arms. But, it will take time to get to Chyna arms, unless a person takes something to help them get their faster. If a person go,es naturally, it will take a long time.

I know what I am talking about, when I am speaking about the difference between regular muscular arms and bodybuilder arms.

I don't lift heavy, because I don't want Angela Bassett, Jillian Michael, Serena Williams or Madonna's arms. I don't want it to look like I'm flexing, when I am drinking a glass of water.
  • dreilingda
    dreilingda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Not speaking for every woman's body, was speaking in terms of how "fast" you claimed it is to get muscular arms. So what do you call fast? A month, 6 months, 12 months?

Why don't you tell me how long it takes for a person to get muscular arms.

I don't know if you have ever seen the movie What's Love Got to Do with It starring Angela Bassett as Tina Turner. She had 30 days to get Tina Turner's body. In 30 days, she has gotten muscular arms, etc.

This goes to show you that everyone body is different and it doesn't take a year to get muscular arms. There's a difference between Angela Bassett as Tina Turner arms vs Chyna's arms.

You are a bodybuilder, I know you have heard of muscle confusion. I'm sure you have seen the infomercials for P90x. I know you have heard of getting ripped.

So, in my opinion, it's easy for a person to get muscular arms. And I see muscular arms and bodybuilder arms as two different things.

a movie???

P90x is not a great workout plan to gain muscle. (I have done it) You gain muscular endurance.

and re rate of gains
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/whats-my-genetic-muscular-potential.html

This is pretty much true. I've done P90X and it does rip you up some but doesn't build much muscle. I can probably do 1000 pushup's though...
  • AZackery
    Options
    While true there are basic guidelines proven by science. To gain muscle isn't as easy as you make it sound regardless of each person's make up. You stated with Angela Bassett it took 30 days, but being with her already being in shape it was just a minor shift in her nutrition that made the difference. For someone who's of average build to look like her would take quite some time to get there.

Lets get something clear. I know and I'm always making it clear that it's not easy to gain muscle or even lose fat.

I've said that it doesn't take long for a person to get muscular arms.

I want to say this, it doesn't take a year for a person to gain muscle. Again, everyone's body is different. No one can tell me that it takes 9 months for a person to gain 1 to 2 pounds of muscle.

How does bodybuilder track their muscle gain? By checking their body fat percentage and working the formula that will let them know how much lean body mass/body fat they have loss/gain. If I am not telling the truth, then I want a bodybuilder to tell me how they track their progress.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Please explain this, by using a formula.
    There isn't a "formula". If you don't know by now that resistance training and muscle recovery causes water retention and glycogen loading in the muscle cells and liver, then you may not want to offer your advice.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    AZ,

You can get "muscular arms" without gaining any muscle weight. The ladies (Madona, etc) you are defining as muscular also have pretty low body fat percentages, like less than 20%. That is the reason they look so muscular is that they are also very lean. I really don't think you have to fear "muscular arms" until you get below 30% body fat.

You don't like muscular arms. Got it.

You think Chyna didn't take steroids. Got it.

What are we arguing about?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Please don't get offended, but I'm not going to read the link. I want an answer from people on here.

Wow.
    I'm :laugh: on the outside but :cry: on the inside.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Angela Bassett arms are known as muscular arms. Madonna arms are known as muscular arms. They aren't bodybuilders. Chyna is a bodybuilder. Her arms are big in muscle size. Bigger than there. That's why I say there's a difference between a Angela Bassett arms and Chyna bodybuilder arms.

Again, it doesn't take long for a person to get muscular arms, as in Angela Bassett, Madonna, Jillian Michael, Serena Williams arms. But, it will take time to get to Chyna arms, unless a person takes something to help them get their faster. If a person go,es naturally, it will take a long time.

I know what I am talking about, when I am speaking about the difference between regular muscular arms and bodybuilder arms.

I don't lift heavy, because I don't want Angela Bassett, Jillian Michael, Serena Williams or Madonna's arms. I don't want it to look like I'm flexing, when I am drinking a glass of water.
    You still don't get it. Low body fat is what is responsible for your definition of muscular arms. All these women (with the exception of Serena) all have low body fat. If you had low body fat, your arms would appear more "muscular" even if you didn't lift heavy weights.
    Again that's why many teenage boys look muscular. Not because they workout, but because of low body fat.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    AZ,

You can get "muscular arms" without gaining any muscle weight. The ladies (Madona, etc) you are defining as muscular also have pretty low body fat percentages, like less than 20%. That is the reason they look so muscular is that they are also very lean. I really don't think you have to fear "muscular arms" until you get below 30% body fat.

She just likes to do it to do it. It's not the first time. Ask her if a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat.............no, wait ............that will disrupt the thread and may get it locked down.
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    It's like watching someone trying to explain quantum mechanics to a 4 year old.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Maybe drinking water will help build muscle.

Not coffee ofc, since that isn't made of water...or so someone once told me on here...
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I bet 220lb 9% dude is in the corner laughing right now, at his clean getaway.

=)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Lets get something clear. I know and I'm always making it clear that it's not easy to gain muscle or even lose fat.
    No you're not making it clear. You've fallen back on your definition of "muscular" which you conveyed as gained muscle.
    I've said that it doesn't take long for a person to get muscular arms.
    Yet there are many females on here that weight train, do cardio and are in calorie deficit (some more than 6 months) and they still don't have "muscular" arms.
    I want to say this, it doesn't take a year for a person to gain muscle. Again, everyone's body is different. No one can tell me that it takes 9 months for a person to gain 1 to 2 pounds of muscle.
    If you are in calorie deficit, which the MAJORITY of the people are doing on this site, it's practically impossible to gain muscle. Or are you going to dispute that too?
    How does bodybuilder track their muscle gain? By checking their body fat percentage and working the formula that will let them know how much lean body mass/body fat they have loss/gain. If I am not telling the truth, then I want a bodybuilder to tell me how they track their progress.
    By the mirror. Competitive body builders don't care about body fat percentages in the off season, which is when they put on muscle. Being a veteran body builder and an avid follower of the it, the amatuers and pros don't care about body fat percentages. What counts is how they look on contest day. They could be at 4% body fat and that would mean nothing to them if they had water under the skin or came in "flat" for prejudging.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I bet 220lb 9% dude is in the corner laughing right now, at his clean getaway.

=)
    His explanations were comical. Michael Phelps is 6'3" at a competing weight of 165lbs. Apparently this dude was built like an NFL free safety at 6'1" and 220lbs.....................with no weight training.
  • AZackery
    Options
    AZ,

I'm not arguing with anyone.
  • AZackery
    Options
    Not always. Water and glycogen in cells increase weight without adding fat.

Explain how a person can tell when they have gained muscle. Please, don't tell me this is hard to do, because it shouldn't be.
  • AZackery
    Options
    You still don't get it. Low body fat is what is responsible for your definition of muscular arms. All these women (with the exception of Serena) all have low body fat. If you had low body fat, your arms would appear more "muscular" even if you didn't lift heavy weights.
    Again that's why many teenage boys look muscular. Not because they workout, but because of low body fat.

Explain how Serena has muscular arms with a high body fat percentage. Well, according to you, she has a high body fat percentage.

You said that low body fat percentage is responsible for a person having muscular arm. You do realize that everyone has muscles right? With that fact, how come everyone that has a low body fat percentage doesn't have muscular arms, abs, etc.?
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options

Explain how Serena has muscular arms.

Because Serena actually has worked at building muscle for many years. Unlike Madonna, Angela, etc. who just cut fat so you could see the muscles they already had. Do you understand, now? It takes either years of training (Serena) or years of training plus juice (Chyna) to get like that. Angela and Madonna have smaller arms where you can see all their muscles. That isn't building a lot of muscle. It is definition from lowering body fat.
  • AZackery
    Options
    Because Serena actually has worked at building muscle for many years. Unlike Madonna, Angela, etc. who just cut fat so you could see the muscles they already had. Do you understand, now? It takes either years of training (Serena) or years of training plus juice (Chyna) to get like that. Angela and Madonna have smaller arms where you can see all their muscles. That isn't building a lot of muscle. It is definition from lowering body fat.

Everyone has muscles. A low body fat percentage doesn't mean people will have muscular arms, abs, legs. - if that was true, then all those skinny models would have muscular arms, abs and legs.

You've said that it would take years for a person to gain muscle. Really? Then how come many actors, such as Hugh Jackman, Taylor Lautner, Daniel Craig, etc. have gained a good amount of muscle in a short period of time for a movie?

Please explain to me, how a person know when they have gained muscle.
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    3015062728_6b27f9a6ae.jpg