40+ Club

Options

Replies

• alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Guten Abend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG, you guys!!!!! I miss Germany soooooooo much!!!!!!!!!! :cry: :cry: I lived in Bad Kreuznach for 6 yrs1992-1998. My son was born in a german hospital. I love the Garmisch area!!!!!!!!!!!!! I learned how to ski there and I learned windsurfing in lake Chimsee!!!! What great memories I have of Germany and Europe!!! Yes, a Caribbean girl who loves Europe!!!!!!!!!!!!! My daughter first duty station was in Wiesbaden and I thought that was going to be my excuse to go back and visit but she got pregnant the ARMY sent her back to the states :grumble: :grumble: It's been a good thing because she is not too far from us (Ft Hood) and I can see them more often. :flowerforyou: Lots of posts I need to catch up but I'm at work...
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Singfree,
    the darn beds were built into the room so we couldn't move them. It stunk!:grumble: But, we survived and made sure to specify what kind of beds were in the room at any other place we made reservations! You'll love Herrenchiemsee palace. We visited there in 1988 and it was undergoing renovations. I've been told it's phenomenal. One of these days we hope to return, if only for an extended vacation.

Alf.............. Gruss gott!!!! Wie gehts?!?!
    We lived in Kitzingen from 1985-1991. It was definitely home for us; the longest my husband had lived in one place his whole life until we got sent back to Ft. Riley, KS and retired there. We didn't get to travel very much except those few trips to Garmish, Chimsee and Bertchesgarden. We DID spend an awesome week camping in Holland, in the town where Heinekin is brewed. My hubby and friends thought it was AWESOME that a beer truck came thru the campgrounds twice a day with fresh Heinekin, but it didn't impress me because I'm not a beer drinker. Prost!!:drinker: :drinker:
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I am new to this sight. I'd like to lose 20 lbs and need all the advice possible. I gain around my middle first which is really upsetting for me. Any good exercise tips besides sit ups?:smile:
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Alf & mkwood--some things I would definitely fall off the wagon for: Tafelspitz, Steltze (Schweineshaxe), ANY Wurst, Brot, Apfelstrudel, und ein grosses Bier, bitte! Have you been there for the Spargerlfestwochen? The Germans & Austrians go nuts over the large white asparagus (Spargerl) in May & June.

Tron- we're pretty much all in the same boat as far as belly fat goes. For most of us the remedy is to eat clean, bump up the cardio and strength train. Sorry to say that one cannot "spot" reduce, I wish it were so!!!!
  • alf1163
    Options
    Halt!!!! Halt!!!!!!!!!!!! Bitte!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I want to go back to visit sooooooooooooooooo bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We traveled all over Europe. That was our pastime. :laugh: France 4x, Holland countless times, Prague, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Luxembourg, Belgium and all over Germany. Our grand finale was a week in England. That was the only trip we did without the kids. We took them everywhere with us. My youngest was a baby. My daughter was 8yrs old when we moved to Germany so she remembers every trip/adventure. What a beautiful continent!!! I still have two really good german friends I keep in touch with. And I also keep in contact with my american/military friends that I met there,t hey are now back in the US as well.

Pretty clean day today again, except for the sugar free pudding cup I just ate with a whole kiwi including the skin. Yummy!!!!

Tron, my best advice is to JUST DO IT :laugh: No, seriously, be consistent. You dont have to be perfect, no one is, but stay focused as much as you can. It is more difficult to lose weight after 40, there is no doubt about it, but it is possible. Try to eat well as much as possible, clean foods, not processed. Stay within your caloric requirements, do not starve. Exercise as much as you can without hurting yourself. Vary your workouts and intensity. Do not forget to do strength training!!! Drink lots of water. Sit ups are not the best exercises to tone your mid section. Planks are great, bicycle exercise, sit ups on stability ball, etc. YOU CAN DO IT!!!! You don't have that much weight to lose. Hang in there but do it!!! :flowerforyou:
  • InTheMoney
    InTheMoney Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Guten Abend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG, you guys!!!!! I miss Germany soooooooo much!!!!!!!!!! :cry: :cry: I lived in Bad Kreuznach for 6 yrs1992-1998. My son was born in a german hospital. I love the Garmisch area!!!!!!!!!!!!! I learned how to ski there and I learned windsurfing in lake Chimsee!!!! What great memories I have of Germany and Europe!!! Yes, a Caribbean girl who loves Europe!!!!!!!!!!!!! My daughter first duty station was in Wiesbaden and I thought that was going to be my excuse to go back and visit but she got pregnant the ARMY sent her back to the states :grumble: :grumble: It's been a good thing because she is not too far from us (Ft Hood) and I can see them more often. :flowerforyou: Lots of posts I need to catch up but I'm at work...
  • InTheMoney
    Options

Well, the first post didn't go well, let's try this one.
    51 + years ago I was almost born in Bad Kreuznach. Mom was a GI wife and had to be rushed home in order to not give birth there. Haven't heard that name in a long time.
  • singfree
    Options
    Good morning! Well, today I bite the bullet and invest in a good road bike. I really feel guilty about spending well over a thousand bucks for it, but my wife tells me it is an investment in terms of health benefits. Currently I ride a Trek hybrid, but I am finding that I could use somthing lighter and faster. In my area of PA we have a lot of hills, some gradual, some very steep. I am killing myself trying to climb those hills. My HRM gets up to 170+ BPM, which is a bit high for a fit 54 year old. I will tell you this much: The hard riding is literally ripping the fat off my midsection---yipee!!! I average 750 cals per hour, and it is not boring at all.
  • InTheMoney
    Options
    My wife has just started talking about getting a couple of bikes. I used to bike a lot about 15 yrs ago. Great workout is right!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.
    singfree...One of my daughters moved out two weeks ago and left her bike here. As soon as I can get the go ahead from the doctor and can figure out the combination for her bike lock I am going to use it.

alf...I really envy you. I would love to travel to Europe. Mainly, Switzerland, where I have relatives. You are so blessed to have been to so many places.

I am at the Inn. Did really bad at dinner last night but I will be doing better when I get home. Am having a wonderful time.
  • alf1163
    Options

51 + years ago I was almost born in Bad Kreuznach. Mom was a GI wife and had to be rushed home in order to not give birth there. Haven't heard that name in a long time.

:laugh: Why was she rushed from there to give birth somewhere else? She had complications? When we were stationed in Bad Kreuznach the hospital had become a clinic hospital only. So for military women who had no complications they could see a german doctor and give birth in a german hospital. The others had to go to Landstuhl. I had a german doctor, he was great!! My son was born in Diakonie Krankenhaus, a very old hospital. Everyone was really nice!!!!! The military post is now closed there. My daughter, while stationed in Wiesbaden, went to visit Bad Kreuznach. Everything is abandoned. I cried when I saw the pictures. Why would the Germans waste all those buildings? I don't get it!! :flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    Options
    Good morning! Well, today I bite the bullet and invest in a good road bike. I really feel guilty about spending well over a thousand bucks for it, but my wife tells me it is an investment in terms of health benefits. Currently I ride a Trek hybrid, but I am finding that I could use somthing lighter and faster. In my area of PA we have a lot of hills, some gradual, some very steep. I am killing myself trying to climb those hills. My HRM gets up to 170+ BPM, which is a bit high for a fit 54 year old. I will tell you this much: The hard riding is literally ripping the fat off my midsection---yipee!!! I average 750 cals per hour, and it is not boring at all.

And here I am worried about spending $120 in Chalean Extreme :laugh: :laugh: Go for it!!! Congrats on your purchase!!! :drinker: Do you worry when your HR gets that high? How long do you stay up there? Mine also gets in the 170's when I am running. I usually feel fine but the other day I had some chest pressure. :noway: What do you guys think about that? I did not push it and I slowed down and it went away.

Swissmiss, I am very lucky to have visited all those places. Those are the memories you take with you. Nothing material will give me the satisfaction I got from visiting all those beautiful places. And it is not over yet. I would love to go to Greece, Japan, Australia...I am going to have to save a lot of money!! :laugh: :laugh:

I had a great workout this morning. I did upper body strenght training and ran on the treadmill. I have already planned all my meals for today. Off to work soon... Have a great day!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • singfree
    Options
    Alf, no I really don't worry about my HR getting that high. I normally must stop to catch my breath if it gets too high for too long. Also, I am dubious about the arbitrary max HR number "they" apply to us based solely on age. A fit person or a morbidly obese person having the same max HR makes no sense to me. I am as fit or more fit than most people half my age.

As far as your chest pressure goes, please monitor it closely. It could be something as simple as having eaten the wrong thing too close to your workout time. For me, I don't breathe well if I have a lot of food in my stomach before a workout. Stress can also be a factor. Sometimes when I am highly stressed out, my chest and arms feel tight. Thankfully it doesn't happen very often.

Speaking of stress, I'm letting this bike purchase stress me out. I really hesitate when it comes to spending money on myself. It must be my upbrining...my parents did not have a whole lot of money. I learned the value of a dollar long ago, not a bad thing!
  • alf1163
    Options
    Alf, no I really don't worry about my HR getting that high. I normally must stop to catch my breath if it gets too high for too long. Also, I am dubious about the arbitrary max HR number "they" apply to us based solely on age. A fit person or a morbidly obese person having the same max HR makes no sense to me. I am as fit or more fit than most people half my age.

As far as your chest pressure goes, please monitor it closely. It could be something as simple as having eaten the wrong thing too close to your workout time. For me, I don't breathe well if I have a lot of food in my stomach before a workout. Stress can also be a factor. Sometimes when I am highly stressed out, my chest and arms feel tight. Thankfully it doesn't happen very often.

Speaking of stress, I'm letting this bike purchase stress me out. I really hesitate when it comes to spending money on myself. It must be my upbrining...my parents did not have a whole lot of money. I learned the value of a dollar long ago, not a bad thing!

I am the same way when it comes to spending money especially for myself. Luckily I am no longer an impulse buyer. That's the reason I keep thinking about spending money on P90X or Chalean Extreme. I think "why spend money on a program when what I am doing right now is working for me?"

On the HR issue, I think similarly. And yes, I also consider myself pretty fit compared to other 45 yr old women out there. That day was warm plus I was running during the middle of the day and that was the first thing came to my mind that it must have been the food I ate earlier. I always try to give myself at least an hour before I exercise after eating. I prefer to workout first thing in the morning on an empty stomach but that is not always possible. Thank you for your advice and support. :flowerforyou:
  • Maria061
    Maria061 Posts: 118
    Options
    hello,

I am glad, that we have our 40+club.

I have slightly higher cholesterol, and my metabolism is slow . I start to watch my calories from 03/21 hopping to loose 45lbs. During this 2 weeks I had lost 2 lbs, I fill good about my self that is working.
    The support from each other is very good to US all.
    Good luck,
  • BOOPIS67
    BOOPIS67 Posts: 19
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

I'm 40 and over. Will be 42 in Nov and want to lose 42 lbs by Nov. Is that possible? It is a challenge for me to stay consistant...had a trainer..was doing good with him but I was not doing what I was suppose to do. I was not eating enough and then felt that I could have a treat since I was working so hard. Now , I let the trainer go, saving my money..took some of his techinques and in they gym 4-5 days a week. Any encouragement can really help me.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    BOOPIS67...it sounds like you are doing very well. Just keep up the good work.

1Maria...my metabolism is low also. I hate that. I read a book that teaches ways to up it. It included things like posture and breathing correctly. All of this can help.

singfree...your purchase was for something good. You will get healthier because of it. Stop beating yourself up. You should see how much my husband spent on a mixer today !!!

I am once again tired. Spent the past two days doing a lot of walking.
  • InTheMoney
    Options

:laugh: Why was she rushed from there to give birth somewhere else? She had complications? When we were stationed in Bad Kreuznach the hospital had become a clinic hospital only. So for military women who had no complications they could see a german doctor and give birth in a german hospital. The others had to go to Landstuhl. I had a german doctor, he was great!! My son was born in Diakonie Krankenhaus, a very old hospital. Everyone was really nice!!!!! The military post is now closed there. My daughter, while stationed in Wiesbaden, went to visit Bad Kreuznach. Everything is abandoned. I cried when I saw the pictures. Why would the Germans waste all those buildings? I don't get it!! :flowerforyou:

Dad was going to be let out of the service in less than 30 days so she would have to have stayed by herself in Germany way back then. So she went home quick before she wasn't allowed to fly.
  • alf1163
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

I'm 40 and over. Will be 42 in Nov and want to lose 42 lbs by Nov. Is that possible? It is a challenge for me to stay consistant...had a trainer..was doing good with him but I was not doing what I was suppose to do. I was not eating enough and then felt that I could have a treat since I was working so hard. Now , I let the trainer go, saving my money..took some of his techinques and in they gym 4-5 days a week. Any encouragement can really help me.

IMO, I dont think it is possible to lose 42lbs by Nov the healthy way. You don't want to lose more than 2lbs a week. And you will see once you start losing weight that your weight loss will slow down to .5 to 1lb a week once you get close to your goal. Is there a special reason you want to lose it by Nov? Try to focus on getting healthy by eating well and exercising and not so much about losing x amount of weight by a certain time. That will only lead to frustration. If you can exercise 5-6 days a week, vary your workouts, increase intensity, do strength training and eat well. I don't want to sound discouraging but that is the only way to do it. We are here to help in any way we can . :flowerforyou:
  • singfree
    Options
    Good Friday morning everyone! Well, today is reporting day. For those of you who are new to our 40+ Group, welcome! Every Friday we just report in and tell everyone how we did in the previous week. No pressure, not like waiting in line at Weight Watchers...

Yesterday I did buy a new bike at my local dealer. It is a leftover 2008 Cannondale Synapse. I like it very much. The good thing is that as a leftover, it was discounted by $200. That made me feel LESS guilty about the purchase. I rode it about 20 miles yesterday and WOW is it fast compared to my Trek hybrid!! Normally this particular hilly 10 mile circuit would take me 40-42 mins. I did it on the Cannondale in 34 mins without working too hard.

Well, this week was not too bad eating wise for me. A few cheats here and there, but nothing major. My exercise has been going strong in the gym and the supplemental bike rides which I think are burning a tremendous amount of fat. I received my bloodwork results yesterday. They were no better or no worse than last year's test, which was not bad at all. At least my cholesterol is staying in the normal range now.

Boopsi, I agree with Alf that 42 lbs is a bit ambitious. Try not to think of it in terms of lbs lost only. Try to eat clean and keep exercizing and monitor your measurements. If you are losing inches and not as much weight, you are putting on muscle--a great thing...you are becoming fit, which should be our ultimate goal! Best of luck on your journey!!