Autumn Leaves November '11 Challenge

Options

Replies

• heaverchell
    heaverchell Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Day 1 was great got 3 miles in and did my 30DS for strength training. Day 2 --didn't get my walk in but I did get my strength in with my 30 ds AND 3 sets of 20 swimmer presses.
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    why cant i get this banner to post what am i doing wrong..

Try this: copy and paste exactly what you see below. Once you pasted it to your signature, change the xxx for img, leaving the brackets just as they are.

[xxx]

http://i.imgur.com/8Rtyk.jpg

[/xxx]
  • missyyclaire
    Options
    Congrats on the new dogs ladies! They are such enthusiastic walking buddies. They'll ALWAYS want to go for a walk. I took my girl out for a 3 mile walk today. She's just under a year and has taken very well to her leash training. We had a guy help us one afternoon for about 2 hours. Mostly just talked to us for 90 minutes, then gave her a little session. Now that I know how to communicate better in "dogese", we're getting good responses from her. I also invented a leash idea that helps alot too....just some cheap rope from the hardware store and a little washing machine hose cut into two pieces. It's made for nice handles for both hands. If you want, I could try to take a pic of it, though you can buy very nice leashes in pet stores.

Saturday I'm going to walk my first 5K race!

You all are doing great on your exercises! I love coming here and reading what you've done!
  • LilysMom28
    LilysMom28 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Well I went to pick up the new pup last night and they told me her cut (from getting fixed) became infected so they needed to keep her a couple of more days to put her on antibiotics. The family was pretty bummed but its best for her. I'm hoping to go pick her up Friday afternoon. We talked about dog names over dinner. My daughter (who's 2) kept saying "Zero" anytime we asked what the puppy's name should be.....so Zero it is :laugh:

I woke up early to do my 30 DS since I had no dog to walk!! lol

And just a side note...I really love the groups dynamic. I love how everyone always has something nice to say to everyone else. It really makes being apart of this challenge so fun and easy!! We are only 3 days in but keep up the great work ladies!!!
  • LilysMom28
    LilysMom28 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the new dogs ladies! They are such enthusiastic walking buddies. They'll ALWAYS want to go for a walk. I took my girl out for a 3 mile walk today. She's just under a year and has taken very well to her leash training. We had a guy help us one afternoon for about 2 hours. Mostly just talked to us for 90 minutes, then gave her a little session. Now that I know how to communicate better in "dogese", we're getting good responses from her. I also invented a leash idea that helps alot too....just some cheap rope from the hardware store and a little washing machine hose cut into two pieces. It's made for nice handles for both hands. If you want, I could try to take a pic of it, though you can buy very nice leashes in pet stores.

I'd be interested in seeing your leash. We aren't sure how Zero will walk on a leash yet with us. She seems very calm but she isn't a puppy anymore either. So we'll see!! :smile:
  • carhicks
    carhicks Posts: 1,924 Member
    Options
    Saturday I'm going to walk my first 5K race!

You all are doing great on your exercises! I love coming here and reading what you've done!

Good luck with that 5K walk. It is so exciting when one of our group accomplishes such a goal. I am cheering you on!!

Got in 10 miles on the stationary bike this morning and half hour on the free weights. Have a hockey game tonight, so I will have to take the dog for his walk this afternoon. He gets upset with me if he doesn't get one every day. When I was on vacation last month, my daughter only took him about 6 times so he has lots to make up. Have a great day everyone and don't forget tho get in that all important water!! :flowerforyou:
  • kludgood
    kludgood Posts: 172
    Options
    Day four check in: got my 3 strengths in now i plan to get my ride in today on the stationary bike in as well as more strength and cardio
  • BerylX
    BerylX Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Day 4 check-in - so far done 23.72 miles (I alternate running and biking) and have done 4 strength sessions (30DS).
    so far so good!!
  • missyyclaire
    Options
    [/quote]

"I'd be interested in seeing your leash. We aren't sure how Zero will walk on a leash yet with us. She seems very calm but she isn't a puppy anymore either. So we'll see!! :smile:"
    [/quote]

Well, our dog was/is a chewer and we keep her on a leash in the house mostly all of the time. It's part of her training and eventually she'll be leash free. She's just under a year so her energy is super high. Our trainer recommended keeping her leashed as you can get her do what you need much easier than if she's running crazy free.

So, to save money on leashes that she'd just chew through, we bought one of those 100 yard hanks of nylon rope from the hardware store and about 18" of washing machine hose. It's a black hose that's just thick enough to make a nice sturdy handle. I cut it into approx 6" pieces and threaded it through the rope. I got a clip to attach to her collar from a feed store for $4. The 100 yards of rope was $9 and the hose was $1.50. I've got enough rope to make 80 or so leashes...and she's chewed through about 12! She hasn't chewed through one in about a month, thank goodness. We have an indoor homemade leash that she wears in the house, the one with the washing hose is only for outdoor walks. It's basically 6" of hose for your right hand handle, then another 6" that is threaded onto the main line. It sounds way more complicated than it really is. The main line hose is for my left hand so I can control her with both hands, and not have to hold onto a rope with my bare left hand. The main line hose slides easily and with my right, I can correct her with an easy pull. She learned pretty fast that we're the boss and behaves very well on her leash. Just be consistent and keep your new dog at your side, don't let them run ahead or pull you, show them who's boss...they like knowing you're in control. It lets them relax and be submissive and happy.

If you'd like a picture, message me your email address and I'll send it. It's nothing fancy, but it's the best leash I've ever used...and I invented it!

By the way, I love the name Zero!
  • missyyclaire
    Options
    Yesterday was what I call my 'white tornado' day. LOTS of house cleaning, steam cleaner used to mop the floor, then hand wiping those edges that have bugged me for, oh, about 4 years! Trash out, kitty litter freshened, vaccuumed, washed clothes, cleaned kitchen real good...it feels good to have it all sparkly again!

Then a nice hike through Windmill Hill Nature Preserves...so pretty with the Fall leaves just starting to turn colors. I let the dog run off her leash again and she was so good. She really keeps to the trail, runs up ahead a bit, then turns around and waits for us to catch up, then off again, good girl! She seems so happy zooming around.

10 minute miracle plan (felt slightly better about my technique, slightly!) and about 2 minutes of TRX

Today, maybe another hike will be in order. Tomorrow, 5K! My very first ever!

By the way, I'm so proud of all of you. I look at your miles on the spreadsheet and read your posts here and I feel so happy for you all. I love that we're pushing ourselves and feeling good in the process.

Happy Friday everyone!
  • jenmorris01
    Options
    bump!
  • jenmorris01
    Options
    I have done all of my strength training for the week! I need to start logging more miles if I am going to make it to 15! Here we go! :)
  • Stephanie08
    Stephanie08 Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Is it too late to join this group? One of my friends email me a few days ago on this, but I just got back into MFP today and found the topic. If it's not too late to join do I email my starting weight or post it here?
  • carhicks
    carhicks Posts: 1,924 Member
    Options
    Okay, just got back from the gym and hair appointment. My hairdresser looked at me and asked "did you lose weight?" Well she is a cute as a button girl from VietNam who speaks so quietly that I almost wanted her to ask again in a louder voice so everyone could hear. It is so great when someone notices.

Have gotten in 32 miles and done a strength workout each day. I also lost 3 pounds which makes me feel fantastic.
  • amandac72
    amandac72 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    How is everyone going with the challenge?

I have started C25K this week and been going to the gym almost every day :smile: Done 25miles so far and 2 of the strength training days. Might have to do a DVD tonight for the last one as my husband is working night shift this weekend which means he is either working or sleeping and so I have to work around the kids!!

It is hot here today, yay looks like summer is finally on its way :happy:

I have lost just over a pound this week so far so I am pretty happy with that. Now just have to avoid the weekend overeating which has been a big problem for me and I should have a decent loss this week!!

carhicks - 3 pounds lost, awesome!! Congratulations. It is great when people notice your weight loss and comment on it :happy:

missyyclaire - Good luck with your 5k!!

Keep up the great work everyone :smile:
  • missyyclaire
    Options
    Is it too late to join this group? One of my friends email me a few days ago on this, but I just got back into MFP today and found the topic. If it's not too late to join do I email my starting weight or post it here?

Not at all! Please join us. On page one of this forum you'll find info on the challenge and links to the spreadsheet and the Autumn Leaves banner. Welcome aboard! I think you're our 40th team member!
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Doing good here... glad everyone is having a successful week. I am inspired by all of you.
  • GINAvsGINA
    GINAvsGINA Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely feeling the effects of this weeks. I'm sleeping better and feeling more energized. Today I plan on getting in at least 3 miles if not more. I've finally got to the point where my body desires the worKouts. Everyone have a great Saturday!
  • DawnOBRN
    DawnOBRN Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Finally got a hike and an elliptical workout in!! Feelin' good!
  • alwaysangel
    Options
    YEAH! You found us Stephanie! Welcome! :happy: