50+ Women for the Month of April

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,989 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

This has been a super busy day---Jake has this terrible cold and is in the hide a bed in the living room and wants lots of TLC and someone to watch a movie with him.

I got away to go to line dance this morning :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: then came home and fixed our big meal----beautiful New Zealand lamb chops (small ---5.5 ounces including the bone) with salad and steamed green beans. Lamb is our Passover treat.---the only red meat we eat all year---the difference is that this year we bought small portions instead of buying a huge leg and pigging out. :laugh: :laugh: Then I took the "naughties" (thanks, Elli, for the great nickname idea) to the dog park. There were eight other dogs there including another standard poodle---they played well with others and came when called. I got a 50 minute brisk walk in while the other dog owners stood around and talked.

My "Sweatin' to the Oldies" complete DVD set is scheduled to arrive on Monday. I loved Richard Simmons when he was so popular in the '80's. I remember when he was on General Hospital. I also remember how he used to go to grocery stores and stop women and look in their grocery carts and comment on the food they bought---he'd be impressed with my shopping cart now.:bigsmile:

Becky--keep the faith with your surgery---think of it as the ticket to having everything be OK again. I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you and for the skill of your doctor.

Julie--I am excited with you about your being able to walk through the narrow space in your bedroom. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: That's the kind of experience that makes all your hard work worth it and gives you the motivation to continue. :bigsmile:

Becky47----I'm still not doing much better, either, about staying off the scale. I'm just trying not to take the numbers seriously :laugh: :laugh: except for on Monday morning when I have my weekly weigh-in day.

I loved hearing from everyone but my brain is falling asleep. Be assured that you all mean so much to me and any success I am having is in large part because of your encouragement and friendship and Kathy's great cartoons. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Barbie :love:
  • Grammymax
    Grammymax Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Good morning.

It's really early for me (4:45 am). I have been awake since 3:00 so I decided tojust get up and check my email, drink my coffee and check in here. My hubby sleeps through anything so I'm sure he won't be bothered if I just sit at the computer for awhile.

Our son came over last night and told us he lost his job. They seem to be okay with it. He starts another one on Monday but it doesn't have health benefits and the pay won't be as good but they are doing fine - I guess :ohwell: They have a 5 month old (the little one on my signature) so health insurance is a biggie.

Barbie - wouldn't it be fun for us all to be in the same room doing "sweatin' to the oldies" together!? :laugh: :laugh: What a hoot that would be! Have fun with it. I have 6 left feet :happy: so that would be a real comedy act for me to try to do the workout!

So, Easter dinner...Ham, Mashed Potatoes for family (mashed cauliflower for me), Resurrection Rolls (this is awesome for anyone who will have children present), Fruit Salad, Steamed Veggies. That is on my menu as of now. And hopefully a great afternoon of playing games!

Hope you all have a great day. I'm thinking I might need a nap before the day is over. Tonight is an Easter program at our church and I don't want to fall asleep at that!

Esther
  • dricotta1
    dricotta1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Morning to all,

Ah yes, what to have for Easter dinner?! I'm currently living with a friend who also lost her husband so we are doing this exercise weight loss together. We decided we would splurge a little for Easter and have an Italian Easter. She's Italian and my husband was Sicilian. So...it's freshmade sauce w/ turkey meatballs and fresh Ricotta and spinach ravioli and a large salad. We will allow ourselves a few extra ravioli and maybe some extra avacado in the salad.

Should be good w/o totally blowing the calories. In a traditional Italian Easter there would also be ham, sausage, lots of bread and canolis. Maybe 1 canoli this year? Maybe not:ohwell:

Hang in there everyone and do your best. Can't ask more than that. Happy Easter!!
  • Grammymax
    Options
    Morning to all,

Ah yes, what to have for Easter dinner?! I'm currently living with a friend who also lost her husband so we are doing this exercise weight loss together. We decided we would splurge a little for Easter and have an Italian Easter. She's Italian and my husband was Sicilian. So...it's freshmade sauce w/ turkey meatballs and fresh Ricotta and spinach ravioli and a large salad. We will allow ourselves a few extra ravioli and maybe some extra avacado in the salad.

Should be good w/o totally blowing the calories. In a traditional Italian Easter there would also be ham, sausage, lots of bread and canolis. Maybe 1 canoli this year? Maybe not:ohwell:

Hang in there everyone and do your best. Can't ask more than that. Happy Easter!!

My hubby also has Sicilian ancestors. Those canoli's are sooooo good but fortunately none available for us! I tried making them one year and it was so much work I decided to just not try again - too much temptation to eat them all:wink:
  • dricotta1
    dricotta1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I hear you, Grammy. My mother-in-law and Joe's Aunts used to get together to make them and they unreal good. Once she passed away, my brother-in law has done a fantastic job of carrying on the tradition. But, yes, there's probably about a million calories in each one. :sad: Diane
  • beetlebug2001
    Options
    Rough couple of days for me. Enjoy so much reading all the posts, it is enlightening and encouraging.
    I am back on the wagon today. My problem was not eating enough and eating the wrong things. Skipped breakfast the last couple of days which is a bad thing for me. When I don't eat breakfast I feel out of kilter for the rest of the day. When I feel bad physically it seems to ruin everything. Think positive and remember my April goals. Off to water areobics. Have a good day everyone.
  • healthier4me
    healthier4me Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Good Morning all:flowerforyou:

I am so happy to report that for the first time since Feb 23 my ticker tape has moved:bigsmile: Yippeeeeeeeee two more pounds have disappeared from my body:blushing: It has been a long and sometimes challenging time. I sure hope that tthis is the start of more to come. I cannot say that I understand why it took so long other than the extra stress I have been under. Seems like my body hangs on to every little ounce when under strain. Just gotta hang in there and get thru my son's wedding and get back on track. Thanks for listening and understanding:heart:

The following is something that I wanted to share with you.....

My Pledge

1. I pledge to "show up" in my life as myself, not as an imitation of anyone else.

2. I pledge to avoid using the word "just" to describe myself. For example, I won't say, "I'm just a mother," "I'm just a student" or "I'm just an ordinary person."

3. I pledge to give myself ten minutes of silence and stillness every day to get in touch with my heart and hear my own voice.

4. I pledge to use my voice to connect my dreams to my actions.

5. I pledge to use my voice to empower myself and others.

6. I pledge to serve my community at least once a year in a way that will benefit other people.

7. I pledge to ask myself, "Who am I? What do I believe in? What am I grateful for? What do I want my life to stand for?"

8. I pledge to sit down and write my own mission statement.

9. I pledge to live my own legacy.

10. And I pledge to pass it on.
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    s778139430_1435406_4100152.jpg
    FIRST OF ALL the comic of the chocolate bunnies with missing body parts is absolutely hilarious! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I just about rolled in the floor laughing. Hubby had to come see what was so funny.

Like most of the rest of you, Easter will be a big willpower challenge with lots of high calorie foods available everywhere. We'll be getting together with hubby's parents and brothers and their families who live locally Easter evening: 17 of us in all. My kids won't be there... we just live too far away. :cry: My part is to make cornbread dressing, harvest beets and a (Sugar-free) coconut cream pie. I'm thinking I will eat a big green salad before we go, so I won't be tempted to eat more than a bite or two of all the goodies....

I was a bit surprised at how stiff my bottom and thighs were after attempting a full floor workout yesterday. I'm gonna be so firm when I get to where I can keep up with the DVD step for step! BTW, Found out Valerie exercised with a personal trainer for 4 hours every day to get that firm bikini body.... I don't have that kind of time on my hands, do you?

I just finished my time on the treadmill and now on the prep for the big meal on Sunday. Today I am making the cornbread and pie dough. Tomorrow hubby has promised to help me till my vegetable garden patch so I want to get as much done ahead of time as possible.

HAPPY EASTER Y'ALL! :flowerforyou:
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Hi-
    Valerie Bertinelli does look very good. While I could make the time, I am not spending that kind of money on a trainer. I also am just not that interested in devoting that amoutn of time and effort to my body. Instead, I'll settle for fairly healthy and comfortable. What I really need to work on is my brain - so that I can commit to a healthier lifestyle and not sabatoge myself.

The good thing is that I don't give up. Despite blowing calories last night, I walked to town and back with my husband today. Of course, I probably overdid it having blueberry pancakes and orange juice for breakfast in town, but I'm so full that I'll be good the rest of today (I hope).

Take care.
    Zaza
    PS. Esther, so sorry to hear yoru son lost his job. A very scary time. I'm glad he has another job, but I know what you mean about the health insurance.
    Healthierforeme, congrats on your weight loss ticker moving!!! :flowerforyou: It's so encouraging! I know it's motivating for me to see how much you've already lost!
  • Grammymax
    Options
    Beetlebug: Yes, you’re right about skipping breakfast. It gets us off to a bad start for the day. Glad you’re back on track. We’ve all been there so we’re here to cheer you on!:flowerforyou:

Healthier: Good for you for hanging in there. It would have been very easy for you to give up but I’m proud of you for staying focused. :flowerforyou: I’ll bet the pounds will start to drop regularly now.

Susan: Yard / garden work is so therapeutic for me. Wish I could do some today, and I guess I could but it’s raining and not so much fun in the rain. :wink: Are you willing to share your sugar free pie recipe with us? Sounds yummy.

Zaza: I'm with you - 4 hours a day is obsessive I think. She does look good but I remember hearing that she would NEVER pose in a bikini because it would not be right at her age! Oh well, I would be proud too but no one would ask me to pose :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Kathy: I'm holding your Weekend Warrior Weight Loss arms up to assist you in your challenge. You can do it!

Hope you all have a great day.

Esther
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I may be taking a break for awhile. I have a lot of stress in my life right now. I want to wish all of you a happy holiday.
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies.

I sure am putting my armor on. Weekend Weight Loss Warrior is ready. I believe I will really need it. We as a family use food to celebrate everything :bigsmile: as most families do.

:flowerforyou: I Wish Everyone Happy Easter & Passover.:flowerforyou:

The weather is beautiful here this morning. I took a nice long walk. I have not gotten to the gym yet. Not sure if I will be going. It's so nice out. The weather is suppose to change by evening. :sad: an last most of the day tomorrow.:sad: Sunday chilly. Well, that is enough of the weather report.:laugh:

Have a great day

:heart: Kathy
  • FITFORLIFE1944
    Options
    ELLI, WE ALL OWE A DEBT OF GRATITUDE TO EVERY PERSON SERVING OUR COUNTRY. YOU CAN BE SO VERY PROUD OF DILLON. I KNOW IT WILL BE SUCH A HAPPY DAY WHEN YOU WELCOME HIM HOME.

ESTHER, DINNER MENU SOUNDS YUMMY. SORRY TO HEAR YOUR SON LOST HIS JOB. THE HEALTH INSURANCE IS CERTAINLY THE BIGGEST ISSUE THESE DAYS. PERHAPS SOMETHING ELSE WILL TURN UP AND IT WILL BE EVEN BETTER THAN THE JOB HE LOST. I HAVE HEARD OF SOME PEOPLE ACTUALLY BEING GLAD THAT ONE DOOR CLOSED AND ANOTHER OPENED. WISH HIM THE BEST. HAVE TO SAY THAT YOUR GRANDSON IS ONE CUTE DUDE. WHAT A LOOKER. SO, SWEET.

DIANE, YOUR DINNER ALSO SOUNDS GOOD. THOSE TURKEY MEATBALLS TAKE SOME TIME GETTING USED TO,BUT I HAVE STARTED USING TURKEY TO GET LESS CALORIES. THE FAMILY SEEMS TO LIKE THEM. ENJOY! YOU HAVE A GOOD PLAN THERE.

BEETLEBUG, SORRY YOU HAD SOME ROUGH DAYS. IT'S GOOD THAT YOU HAVE REFOCUSED.

HEALTHIER, FANTASTIC NEWS THAT YOU ARE DOWN 2LBS. GREAT!! I LIKE THE PLEDGE VERY MUCH.

ZAZA, LIKE WHAT YOU SAID, YOU DON'T GIVE UP. ONLY THE PEOPLE WHO DO GIVE UP, FAIL.
    WE ALL HAVE TO KEEP ON GOING AND NEVER GIVE UP.

KATHY, WEEKEND WEIGHT LOSS WARRIOR, FORGE AHEAD. YOU CAN DO IT. I AM GOING TO USE YOU FOR MY EXAMPLE OF WHAT A PERSON CAN DO WHEN THEY PUT THEIR MIND TO IT. CONSIDERING LAST WEEKEND WAS SUCH A SUCCESS. EASTER WILL BE HARDER ,BUT IT IS DOABLE. I HAVE DECIDED IT WILL BE ONE PIECE OF CARVEL ICE CREAM CAKE AND THAT IS IT FOR ME. I REREAD THE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPH THAT INSPIRED ME SEVERAL TIMES AS I LOST WEIGHT. WANT TO SHARE IT WITH YOU AND ALL THE LADDIES. HOPE IT MAY INSPIRE SOMEONE ELSE,AS IT DID ME.

HAPPINESS

HAPPINESS AND WEIGHT LOSS ARE VERY IMPORTANT AND INTIMATELY CONNECTED. THE POPULAR MANTRA OF THE DIET INDUSTRY IS ALL FOODS IN MODERATION. BUT, THAT TAKES A TOUGH TRICK TO PULL OF WHEN THE WORLD WE LIVE IN ISN'T GIVEN TO MODERATION. IT'S NOT ENOUGH TO WANT TO BE TRIM, YOU NEED A PLAN TO GET YOU THERE. A PLAN THAT IS LIVABLE AND DOABLE AND THAT YOU'LL ENJOY. A PLAN THAT'S ABOUT THE WORK OF HAPPINESS. THE HAPPINESS THAT COMES FROM LIVING THE VISION YOU HAVE FOR YOUR OWN BODY. FOODS MAY GIVE MOMENTARY PLEASURE, BUT, YOUR HAPPINESS IS THE GREATER REWARD. WHEN YOU LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND KNOW YOU ARE LOOKING YOUR BEST, WEARING CLOTHES YOU'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO WEAR, FEELING FIT AND GLOWING WITH WELL BEING.

ANNE
  • elli
    elli Posts: 593
    Options
    Good morning everyone - it's supposed to be up in the 60's here today and then we're supposed to get rain/snow showers on Sunday. Oh well - we need the moisture!

Esther - so sorry your son lost his job. It's just so worrisome when things aren't all right with our kids. Hopefully the new job will either offer benefits after awhile or he'll be able to find something else. My younger boy works on the oilfield and i'm always worried about his job. They don't have any kids yet but a house, and vehicles and just lots of obligations! Scary.:frown:

Anne - thank you so much for that quote! it's a good one! My dear friend (she has worked with me for almost 13 years now and we've done many weight loss plans together) has such a tough time reconcilling with that - happiness/being thin and fit. When things get crazy in her life she abondons her weight loss plan (and thereby, in my mind, abondons herSELF) because she feels like it's just not that important in light of everything else going on. I think it HELPS in tough times if we can hang onto our programs, at least to some degree. Life is ALWAYS going to throw us curve balls and i know when things are crazy we want instant gratification with food, but in the long run it just doesn't pay!:indifferent: I also agree that we all owe so much to our amazing military volunteers - it's not something just anyone could or would do. I am pretty proud.:blushing:

Swiss - i'm so sorry about all the stress in your life right now. I know it's hard to get on here every day when things seem so bad and you feel so down. Please don't give up, and please keep checking in with us at LEAST every now and then.............we all care about what happens to you and how you're doing. AND we'll miss you if we don't hear from you!:frown:

Kathy - sounds like you have a good plan in place for Sunday.

Esther and ZaZa - i agree with you guys. I have one friend who's about 47 and it's almost like she lives to work out. My thought is i want to work out to LIVE! I don't want it to consume me, and 4 hours a day is a little obsessive!

Beetle - way to bounce back!

Healthier - way to GO! 2 pounds is AWESOME!

ZaZa - no big deal on the yummy breakfast! you probably walked most of it off anyway! Have a great rest of the day!

ttyl!
  • elli
    elli Posts: 593
    Options
    Sorry - i forgot some stuff - first everyone have a wonderful Easter/Passover.....i remember Passover from when i was a little kid, kind of anyway. Is that when you invite Elijah in? or is that another holiday? When my boys were growing up we used to raise lamb and everyone said it was the best they'd ever eaten......they ate lots of lamb 'cause we didn't raise beef 'till they were a little older.

Barbie - so glad the naughties were good! :laugh: they actually sound like such good dogs. Mine aren't socialized at all and would SO not know how to behave at a dog park. I swear if i ever get another dog i WILL socialize him!

Esther - i LOVE the visual of us all sweatin together to the oldies!!!!!!:happy:

Well, if i left anyone out, i'm sure sorry......catch you next time!
  • Grammymax
    Options
    Thanks for your kind words. My son seems to be okay with it right now.
  • l_mahloy
    l_mahloy Posts: 118
    Options
    dricotta so sorry for your lost. will keep you in my prayers.

:flowerforyou:
    Lynn
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Hello to all you wonderful healthy Easter celebrants----I know you'll all stay in the moment and keep an eye on what's most important and find balance between family and your own health.

Esther---best wishes to your son for good luck with his new job and better things to come in the future.
    I love the vision of all of us sweatin to the oldies together----we would laugh ourselves silly along with getting fit.

Beetlebug----I went to water aerobics once and it was fun----does your class have music ?

healthier4me---congrats on your weight loss:bigsmile: ---we all knew it would happen----I like your pledge especially the part about not saying "just"---I'm going to be more aware of how often I do that.---thanks:bigsmile:

Becky----take it one day at a time---I'm sorry about all your stress----we will all be thinking of you:heart:

I agree too that 4 hours a day with a personal trainer is more than I'm willing to do. I spend a lot of time on exercise but a lot of it is with my dogs or with my friends at line dance or on the exercise bike watching TV with my husband.

Kathy, I'm cheering you on long distance as you battle the holiday---the weekend weighl loss warrior will prevail :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

diane, I admire your plan to stay with healthy eating even while enjoying holiday favorites

Anne, thank you for the quote---it goes right along with the decision we made to give up eating for recreation and entertainment and reward---it has made a huge difference. :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

And to all of you, enjoy your holiday

As we celebrate Passover we don't have headless chocolate bunnies or Cadbury eggs or Italian sweets to avoid, but this year we're skipping a lot of fat and cholesterol masquerading as food.

Our family is far away so nobody is counting on us to be part of food and festivities. that will come in May when we head to California for a family visit. then you can all remind me of what to do at big family food extravaganzas.

big hugs to all ((( ))) :heart: :love:
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    The best Sugar-free version of Coconut Cream Pie I've found is simply using Jello Sugar-free Cook & Serve Vanilla Pudding in place of the homemade pudding sweetened with sugar in my recipe and using Splenda or Truvia in the meringue instead of sugar. I make the pastry crust with half whole wheat flower but haven't figured out a way to make a flaky pastry low in fat or calories.

My family's all time favorite "healthy" dessert is below:

BANANA SPLIT PIE

Yield 8 servings

Chocolate Cookie Crust
    Cool Whip Light
    Small box Sugar-free instant Vanilla Pudding
    1 1/2 cups Skim Milk
    Small Flat Can Crushed Pineapple in its own juice, drained
    1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
    1 medium Banana, sliced
    8 Marchino Cherries w stems
    1 Tablespoon Sugar-free Chocolate Syrup
    1/4 cup Pecan Pieces

Mix the pudding according to package directions.
    Layer the ingredients in the pie shell beginning with bananas, pineapple, then pudding, strawberries, pudding. Top with Cool Whip.
    Drizzle chocolate syrup on top and sprinkle with pecans.
    Chill at least 2 hours or overnight.
    Put a cherry on top of each piece as you serve it.

Looks and tastes like a Banana Split. Even the pickiest no-diet-food eater will love this!
    I've had teenagers fight over the last bite, not realizing it was mostly fruit, low fat/low refined sugar.
  • barbiecat
    Options
    Elli---yes, Passover is the holiday where you leave the door open for Elijah to come in----we love lamb especially because I put a lot of garlic on it.

I took the naughties to the dog park after lunch today and they were very well behaved except that Brandy growled a bit at a bigger male poodle who was very pushy with her and barked at any dog who came too close to the place where she was digging in the dirt. We stayed for more than 40 minutes. Most of the time they ignore the other dogs and ignore the other people so they can run and i can walk. the man who brought the two pushy male poodles said that he was trying to socialize his dogs and having Brandy put them in their place was good for them. :laugh: :laugh:

I ordered a yoga DVD. Sweatin' to the oldies will be a great workout, but yoga will be better suited to doing in the motorhome when we travel----our first trip is less than two weeks from now.

Barbie :love: