50+ Women for the Month of April

Options

Replies

• elli
    elli Posts: 593
    Options
    thank you Diane and Anne for "listening":wink: Well, i guess i'm NOT babysitting tonight 'cause my friend got her car stuck in the mud in her driveway, so i guess they'll be working on getting that out. We still have rain here - no snow yet - but we're still in the snow warning. I don't think it's going to happen. Anne - the fundraising we're doing is for our local humane society - so just donating to your own local would be just as good! We're collecting pet food and supplies as well.

Weak Link - you made me laugh talking about your Dad and his lost pounds. I agree with you - i know where every freaking OUNCE is!!!!!!!!!!

Swiss - you can go ahead and vent about your husband if you want - i don't have one so i'm game to listen:laugh:

Anne - so cool what you're doing for your cousin! My best friend and i are doing this together and we also work together. Right now we're trying to brainstorm strategy for the weekend. If we get to leave our houses and go about our routines we'll be all right - it's just if we're stuck inside all day.........

OK - i'm going to put my pick up in 4 wheel drive and try to make it off my dirt road for the gym!!!!!!!

Happy Friday! elli
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    elli...I don't feel like venting about my husband at this time. I am too excited. I lost two more pounds this week. I have been trying the Abs Diet but have not stayed on it completely. But I think I have found the answer or at least for myself.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,995 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

It is so great to hear from all of you every day. :bigsmile:

Anne, I loved your list of things you won't miss about being fat. I realized that I could never look at myself in the mirror. I especially hated to wash my hands in a public restroom and have to see myself in the mirror. The weekend we were on our trip I noticed that I smiled at myself in the mirror while I was washing my hands.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    I liked your poem. Your mind seems to be working all the time---too bad that doesn't burn calories :laugh:

Diane-I agree with you about "living differently". Most of my day I don't notice how much I weigh but I notice how much better i feel eating healthier and exercising and not thinking about when I can get back in the kitchen and eat again. :bigsmile:

Elli-venting is good for you if you do it only occasionally and to a friend who is understanding but not affected about what's on your mind. If I vent to my husband he either takes it personally or wants to do something to fix it. He doesn't get that all I want is a sympathetic ear for a minute.

Becky----I am so excited that you lost two pounds. I know that you have had a bumpy road and were beginning to think it would never happen. Your body has had a tough time and needed to repair itself first. Stay positive. There are better things to come :bigsmile:

I am so lucky to be doing this weight loss thing with my husband. We plan our meals together. Today he thanked me for teaching him how to eat better. The down side is that he's lost 45 pounds while I've lost 21. He weighs 5 pounds less than I do right now and is less than 10 pounds from his goal. He said that today was the first time he looked in the mirror and didn't see a fat man looking back at him.

Time for dinner, then the exercise bike, then maybe a preview of the new yoga video I bought. How did I find time to sit down at the computer.

Hugs to all, :heart: :love:
    Barbie
  • elli
    elli Posts: 593
    Options
    Becky - yippeeeeeeeeeee!:smile: I'm so happy you lost 2 pounds!!!!! You seem to be in a much better "place" right now. I'm proud of ya! Keep on keepin on!!!!!
    Hey Barbie - how's Jake doing? Is his back healing??? Yea - you're right - it's ok to vent sometimes. I'm just so accustomed to being a positive person - those :grumble: :angry: feelings just seem so uncharacteristic!!!!! Anyway - i had a better day today - i didn't do that great on food, but i did spend almost 2 hours at the gym and that ALWAYS helps!!!!!!! It's hard being cooped up in the house right now with the monsoon that seems to be setting in!:laugh: There's BIG snow all around us but we're just having rain.
    I'm off to bed, tomorrow we WILL get the fundraiser done!
    Everybody have a fabulous weekend - i'll try to check in in between fundraising, figuring out what we need for electrical supplies and actually going to home depot an buying the stuff!!!!!!!
    :heart: and hugs! elli
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    So here it is Friday niight and I have to pass on my newest calorie-saving technique--discovered as a result of my unusual work schedule. I start work @ 5a, and on Fridays, I only work 4 hours, because the other days are 9 hours.

Usually by Friday, I am ready to relax in the afternoon, but today that went to the extreme. I snuggled up w/my doggies for a nap. I am in the habit of napping for 30-60 mins in the afternoon, because the other days of the week, I have a 5 hour break between my work shifts (by choice) and when you get up at 3:30a, a nap after lunch sounds pretty good most days.

On the other days, I set my alarm, but no reason today since I don't work in the afternoon,--so I didn't wake up until about 3 hours later at 5:30p!! The good news is I hadn't had lunch yet when I took my nap, so waking up in time for dinner saved me some calories toward the dinner at Outback scheduled tomorrow night.

By the way, for those who remember the saga of the chocolate chunk cookie from earlier this week. It is still waiting in the kitchen. I could probably polish it off today with all the calories "saved" but since I am not craving chocolate (Call the paramedics, am I still breathing???:laugh: )maybe not.

Congrats, Becky on the 2 lb loss. Tomorrow is weigh in for me, after 5 days. I am just getting started again, and I must say I feel fortunate to have found MyFitnessPal. The food diary works pretty well and being able to keep track of everything in one place is a great help. I also enjoy reading other's posts.

You may recall I mentioned how my Lhasa Apso is on a diet along with me whether she likes it or not?.....:bigsmile: Well, I discovered a treat she seems to like that actually is ok for her to have.

I was eating some baby carrots (excellent with a little roasted pepper hummus), and she was eyeballing me, hoping for a miracle--something to eat before dinner. So I decided to give her a carrot.
    As with anything unfamiliar, she gave it careful inspection, but eventually took it and came back for more. Pepper, the Shih tzu got in the act, but my little "bedhog" is not as much of a "carrot hound" as Mai Li is.

In spite of my nap, it feels like bed time. I will probably do my usual of waking up without the alarm by about 4a. The operative word here is "wake" up--not "get" up, which, thankfully, is not necessary on Saturday!!:happy:

Have a great weekend everyone!!
  • barbiecat
    Options
    Anne, I just found something else for your list:

no more crying :sad: :cry: in the fitting room at the store

Barbie :bigsmile:
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I met my goal for April already.

Last night I took my grand daughter Paisley out for dinner. I halved the baked haddock, had two bites of the rice, ate my broccoli. I brought what I did not eat to my husband who is not feeling well. I am so proud that I have not eaten any fried food yet this month and it is proving that, that was my problem of not losing weight. I'm on a roll and so excited about it.

I have lost 9 lbs. this month so far. Yea.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:heart: Kathy
  • Grammymax
    Grammymax Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    HI GIRLS,

THIS MAY HAVE BEEN DONE BEFORE BUT WE ALL HAVE THINGS WE "WON'T" MISS ABOUT BEING FAT, ANYONE WANT TO ADD TO THE LIST?

1) HIDING FROM THE CAMERA

2) MAKING EXCUSES TO STAY HOME

3) SHOPPING IN PLUS SIZE DEPT.

4) TRYING TO FIND CLOTHES THAT LOOK GOOD ON A LUMPY BODY

5) ACHY JOINTS THAT MAKE EVEN WALKING PAINFUL

6) WEARING LONG PANTS ON A VERY HOT DAY

7) FEELING OLD

8) NOT BEING ABLE TO CROSS MY LEGS

9) FOOD BEING IN CHARGE OF ME

10) BEING AFRAID TO RUN INTO THE EX HUSBAND AND HIS WIFE

ANNE
    I can't think of any more reasons but I agree with all of these - except I don't have an ex-husband but I do avoid running into people who knew me when I was thinner.
    Esther
  • Grammymax
    Options
    WOW Kathy. That is AWESOME :flowerforyou: You are sounding so much more positive and you encourage me. Thanks for sharing and thanks for being there for me:smile:

We are having a garage sale and won't be on much today but wanted to check into say hi. I'm on track but scales are moving slowwwwwwwwwww. At least the numbers are not going up :wink:

Have a great weekend everyone.

Esther
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Wow Kathy...that is great. 9 pounds in less than 3 weeks. I would love to do that. I would almost be at my first goal.

Elli...Good luck with the fundraiser. If I ever retire (and that is doubtful), I want to volunteer at the local animal shelter.

Esther...Wishing you good luck also on your garage sale. Be thankful that you do not have an ex. They can be a pain.

weaklink109...I asked my vet if my Yorkie should be on a diet since he has gained a pound over the last year. I know this doesn't sound like much but he only weighs 6 pounds. Well, he said no that he isn't overweight.

My husband made blueberry stuffed French toast for me this morning. Mine was made with low fat cream cheese mixed with sugar free preserves then topped with fresh blueberries. I broke down all the ingredients and figured it at 321 calories. Not bad.
  • Ladyleo
    Ladyleo Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

I moved to Alabama to work, so I've been gone for a while. I didn't always eat heealthy, but I ate small portions. I still managed to lose weight. My goals are to continue to lose, drink plenty of water, and move. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    You may recall I mentioned how my Lhasa Apso is on a diet along with me whether she likes it or not?.....:bigsmile: Well, I discovered a treat she seems to like that actually is ok for her to have.

I was eating some baby carrots (excellent with a little roasted pepper hummus), and she was eyeballing me, hoping for a miracle--something to eat before dinner. So I decided to give her a carrot.
    As with anything unfamiliar, she gave it careful inspection, but eventually took it and came back for more. Pepper, the Shih tzu got in the act, but my little "bedhog" is not as much of a "carrot hound" as Mai Li is.

Most dogs like bananas too! Something in them... potassium maybe.... also has a calming effect. I used to give our Lab half a banana before a trip to the vet. Always helped her chill out around all the other dogs. But she loved them anytime. It got to where whenever I ate one she always got the last big bite.
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Hi-
    Sorry I haven't checked in in so long. Haven't been on the computer for days - had a mini staycation in NYC, etc etc. Am now taking an impromptu trip to Florida to see my parents so more rushing. Will mean no computer again. Take care all and will check back in a week or so.
    Zaza
  • FITFORLIFE1944
    Options
    SWISS, SO HAPPY FOR YOU, 2LBS GONE. GOOD FOR YOU. THANKS FOR THE ADDITION TO MY LIST.

WEAKLINK, SUCH A CUTE STORY ABOUT YOUR DAD.
    I WONDER IF THE COOKIE CAN STAY THERE UNTIL YOU REACH GOAL AND THEN YOU CAN DO WHATEVER IT IS THEY DO TO PRESERVE IT AS A REMINDER OF HOW FAR YOU HAVE COME AND ALL YOU HAVE ACCOMPLISHED. IT COULD HAVE A MAGNET AND YOU COULD PUT IT ON THE FRIDGE. DON'T LET THAT COOKING WIN.

ESTHER, HOPE THE GARAGE SALE WAS A SUCCESS. MY FRIEND AND I GO HUNTING FOR BARGAINS AT GARAGE SALES ALL THE TIME AND I CAN'T BELIEVE THE BEAUTIFUL THINGS I BOUGHT FOR SUCH A SMALL PRICE. MY FRIEND LAUGHS AT ME BECAUSE I ACTUALLY OFFER A LITTLE MORE WHEN I FEEL IT IS SO UNDERPRICED.

KATHY, KATHY, KATHY, I AM "SPEECHLESS". WHAT A TERRIFIC JOB YOU ARE DOING. 9 COUNT THEM 9 POUNDS GONE IN LESS THAN 3 WEEKS. YIPPEE!!!!! YOU ROCK!!! A TRUE INSPIRATION FOR ALL OF US.

BARBIE, THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE TWO SUGGESTIONS FOR MY LIST.I LOVE THEM BOTH.
    YOUR HUSBAND MUST BE CONGRATULATED FOR LOSING 45LBS. HE COULD NOT HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT YOU, HE IS SO RIGHT. I TOO WISH I COULD BURN CALORIES BY THINKING. I AM ALWAYS THINKING AND IF NOT THINKING I DREAM A LOT. WOW, I WOULD BE SO SLIM. ALAS,
    THAT IS NOT TO BE. HAVE TO KEEP ON EXERCISING AND EATING RIGHT INSTEAD.

BECKY, IF I HAVE NOT ALREADY CONGRATULATED YOU ON YOUR 2LB LOSS, I AM GLAD TO DO
    IT RIGHT NOW. WAY TO GO.

ZAZA, I AM JEALOUS , I AM FROM NY AND MISS IT SOMETHING AWFUL. IF I WERE THERE NOW I WOULD GO SEE JERSEY BOYS. NOW I AM IN FLORIDA, NICE HERE TOO, BUT I AM A NATIVE NEW YORKER FOR LIFE.

LADYLEO, WELCOME BACK. GLAD YOU LOST WEIGHT WHILE YOU WERE GONE AND HOPE YOU CONTINUE TOWARD YOUR GOAL. GOOD LUCK.

BEAUTIFUL DAY IN FLORIDA AND HAVE TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT BEFORE THE REAL HEAT STARTS. HOPE EVERYONE HAS A GREAT WEEKEND.

ANNE
  • barbiecat
    Options
    Hello Everybody, :flowerforyou: :heart: :love:
    We were so right to bring our own lunch. The lunch that was served was make your own taco. We could have eaten the lettuce and tomato and an apple that someone brought for the dessert potluck but instead we had hummus with whole grain crackers, a hardboiled egg, a tomato and an apple and lots of bottled water. There hasn’t been much opportunity for exercise other than dog walking and 20 minutes on the exercise bike.
    Kathy, :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I am so excited about your weight loss. You have been fighting a good fight and it’s time for you to see results. Losing 9 pounds in less than a month is amazing. :bigsmile: Congrats, too, about successfully navigating dinner at a restaurant and avoiding fried foods. You are on a roll of successful behavior.:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Esther---good luck on your garage sale, although it’s probably over by now.

:flowerforyou: Elli---good luck on your fund raiser, too
    animal shelters are so important

:flowerforyou: Becky---your breakfast sounds yummy. Breaking down all the ingredients is a lot of work but definitely worth it to have a treat without abandoning all your good habits.

:flowerforyou: Ladyleo—it’s good to hear from you again. How great that you didn’t abandon your good habits just because you were traveling. Good luck on your goals.

:flowerforyou: Susan—our golden retriever, Shilo, loved bananas. I gave a small piece from each end of the banana every time I ate one. I tried to do the same thing with Brandy, the first poodle we got, and she’d take a piece in her mouth and then leave it on the rug.

:flowerforyou: Zaza—it’s good to hear from you again. Going from NY to Florida at this time of year will be a great way to move into spring a little earlier. Have a great time!
    Weaklink---your sense of humor is a great addition to the group. I hope you have better luck with your dog on a diet than I did with my cats.

:flowerforyou: Anne----does it get too hot where you are in the summer so you can’t enjoy the outdoors? I’ve lived in cool places all my adult life and don’t do well in the heat. Keep your positive attitude, it’s the best way to live.

And to all the rest of you---have a great weekend and don't let anything get in the way of your goals. we can do this.

Barbie :love:
  • weaklink109
    Options
    WEAKLINK, SUCH A CUTE STORY ABOUT YOUR DAD.
    I WONDER IF THE COOKIE CAN STAY THERE UNTIL YOU REACH GOAL AND THEN YOU CAN DO WHATEVER IT IS THEY DO TO PRESERVE IT AS A REMINDER OF HOW FAR YOU HAVE COME AND ALL YOU HAVE ACCOMPLISHED. IT COULD HAVE A MAGNET AND YOU COULD PUT IT ON THE FRIDGE. DON'T LET THAT COOKING WIN.
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Well, we don't have to worry about that cookie any more!:laugh: I decide to get all the naughtiness over and done with, so I ate it last night!! --in preparation for the assault on Outback planned for tonight.

I reviewed the info in the database for Outback before gettng there, so I had some idea of what I was going to order. My plan to avoid the bloomin' onion was derailed when my dining partner decided we needed one for a appetizer. I countered with shrimp. I did have a bit of the onion, but concentrated on the shrimp. The other complication was a table mate who decided to buy 2 rounds of drinks. Since I was not driving, I decided what the heck, so I added 2 vodkas to my total. I had a 6 oz steak and grilled veggies. Mercifully, everyone was too full for dessert. However, in a moment of lunacy, after dropping off 2 others, my dining partner and I visited DQ and each had a small chocolate dipped cone!

Even with the 2 mile walk I took this morning on a nature trail with my 2 doggies and a friend, I am in calorie deficit territory for the day. I checked out calorie zig zag on the web yesterday, and I think I definitely "zigged my zag" for today.

Part of the reason for what happened today was weighing in this morning and finding despite making a concerted effort for the entire week, I lost nothing:frown: except a bit more of my sanity.

On a happier note, Mai Li the Lhasa Apso is down 3/4 of a lb.from a week ago, so at least SOMEBODY around here is moving in the right direction!!:smile:
  • weaklink109
    Options
    trying to eliminate a duplicate post
  • Grammymax
    Options
    Swiss: That breakfast sounds yummy. Maybe on a day when I have already been to the gym and know I can afford to eat that I’ll try it. Yummmmm. I think I might use raspberries when they get ripe!

Ladyleo: You moved to Alabama, where were you before? Your goals are good.

Susan: Our dog will eat ANYTHING if we are eating it and we allow it. She also picks our cherry tomatoes and raspberries off the vines. :grumble: Those are MY berries!

Zaza: Have a safe trip. Hope it’s for a fun visit and not because of illness.

Anne: Wow - I wish there were more people like you at my garage sales! :laugh: I felt pretty satisfied because we had a lot of baby boy clothes but I was holding them for a friend to come get. Well, she said don’t hold them. So I was determined to wait until someone who would really appreciate them showed up and sure enough. A cute couple showed up with mommy obviously pregnant and I asked if she knew what she was having. She was having a boy so I said, “I have a box of boy clothes if you want them!”....she took the whole box with the swing, high chair and bath tub. They were so excited and their car was so full they had to go straight home! That made it worth having the garage sale.

Weaklink: Okay, you’ve done your assault. It’s over and now you can get on track right? I know it’s hard when the scales don’t move but remember to drink your water and stay focused! (That’s the advice I give myself when I have fallen off the wagon):drinker: :flowerforyou:

Have a great Sunday. The sun is shining here and I will enjoy being outdoors today after church. My weeds are staring me in the face!

Esther
  • FITFORLIFE1944
    Options
    WEAKLINK, SINCERELY HOPE YOU GET BACK ON TRACK RIGHT AWAY. WE WOULD NOT WANT MAI LI TO SHOW YOU UP. LOL. GOOD GOING MAI LI, 3/4LB LOST. YOU CAN DO IT WEAKLINK, HANG IN THERE. (WONDERING ABOUT THAT NAME WEAKLINK, IS THAT HOW YOU SEE YOURSELF?).

ESTHER, GLAD YOU WERE SATISFIED WITH YOUR SALE. THAT WAS REALLY NICE THAT THE COUPLE HAPPENED ON YOUR GARAGE SALE AT JUST THE RIGHT MOMENT.

BARBIE, I ENJOY HOT WEATHER ,BUT SOMETIMES IT DOES BECOME TOO MUCH FOR ME. ONE VISIT TO A DISNEY PARK WAS RUINED BECAUSE OF THE HEAT. GRATEFUL FOR ALL THE OTHERS THAT WERE FUN.

A FRIEND GAVE ME ONE FOR MY LIST, SHE SAID "I WON'T MISS THE SOUND OF FAT"
    NOW I HAVE 15. ANYONE THAT CAN THINK OF ANOTHER ONE,PLEASE TELL ME,I WANT 20.
    KATHY, WHERE ARE YOU? YOU ARE SO SMART AND HAVE SUCH INTERESTING THINGS TO ADD TO THE BOARD ALL THE TIME.I WAS SURE YOU WOULD COME UP WITH AT LEAST ONE. HELP!!!!

HAVE A GOOD NIGHT EVERYONE. TOMORROW IS MONDAY, TIME SURE DOES GO FAST.
    ANNE