50+ Women for the Month of April

Options

Replies

• Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone...I had surgery six weeks ago today....I am going to do aerobics.:laugh: The last time I had a major plumbing problem (and I am speaking of my house :smile: ) was two years ago. My husband and I went away for our anniversary and while we were gone my boys tore up the bathroom floor and fixed our problem.
    I see that I am not the only one who has to deal with the goodies at work. Where I work the cafeteria ladies will bring us their left-over cookies and donuts because we help with their mail. This is totally uncalled for since we are only doing our jobs but they feel good about giving to us. Well, there are only four of us to eat about a dozen donuts and about two dozen cookies a week. I was doing pretty good about staying away from them. I am going back to work Monday. I will be sure to take my healthy snacks. And, speaking of going back to work....I will not be here during the day beginning Monday. I know, I haven't been here for days anyway. I think I sort of got lazy and didn't want all of you to know about it.::embarassed:
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Yeah Swissmiss - Glad to see you here. Good luck with aerobics - and returning to work.

I think I have spring fever. I am finding it hard to drag myself out in the mornings. Could be because I have houseguests or that my husband is off right now. Whatever the reason, the fact is I have to go every day so suck it up buttercup right??:laugh:

So - I think I am setting a goal - eventhough I haven't met many lately I am not giving up. You ladies are so inspiring to me. I will lose 5 pounds by the end of April. I had previously decided not to weigh myself on Saturday, however I am going to to get a start point for calculating my loss by the end of the month.
    I have more success and continuity when i post daily goals so for today:
    Drink 6 waters
    Walk 40 minutes
    Be concious of what I'm chewing!! -(been randomly popping jelly beans etc:blushing: )

Barbiecat - I have one Richard Simmons DVD He working out in a mall of all things. Its kind of wonky but effective!! When I first got it, I had to sit out a bit during the routine. I am curious to see if I can complete it all the way through once I get rid of my inflamation in my arm and ribcage - ouch:grumble:

I envy those of you who can get outside to work in your yards. Mine is still covered with snow and ice with the odd muddy spot thrown in. We are supposed to get rain Fri and Sat so that should melt the last of it I hope.

Talk to you tomorrow

Heather
  • FITFORLIFE1944
    Options
    HI EVERYONE,

WHAT A FUN AND EVER SO FRIENDLY BOARD WE HAVE HERE.

ESTHER, DOWN 2LBS. YIPPEE!!!!

SUSAN, 1LB GONE AND THAT TAPE MEASURE IS FEELING THE PLEASURE AS THOSE INCHES DISAPPEAR. GOOD GOING!!!!

ALICE, CONGRATS ON YOUR 10LB LOSS, THAT IS JUST SO WONDERFUL. FABULOUS!!!

MINICHOL, 1/2 LB LOST. GREAT!!!

LYNN, SO GLAD TO HEAR YOU ARE DOING BETTER.

HEATHER, VERY HAPPY THAT YOU ARE NOT GIVING UP, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT. YOU ARE PART OF OUR GROUP AND WE NEED YOU. WE ARE ALL HERE FOR YOU TOO. WE ARE IN THIS TOGETHER.

KATHY, YOU ARE REALLY ON TARGET WITH EVERYTHING, WOW!!!!

WEAKLINK, IT'S THE SMALL VICTORIES THAT WILL MAKE YOU A WINNER. EACH HABIT WE BREAK LEADS US TOWARD OUR FINAL GOAL. KEEP ON DOING EVERYTHING YOU CAN TO CHANGE. IF YOU WANT IT, IT IS YOURS FOR THE TAKING. WONDERFUL STEP FORWARD IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.

SWISS, WHAT A BIG HURDLE TO JUMP. THOSE NICE LADDIES WITH ALL THOSE GOODIES. YOU HAVE YOUR STRATEGY ALL READY, THOSE HEALTHY SNACKS WILL GET YOU THROUGH.

ELLI, YOU'RE RIGHT TO TAKE ALL THE TIME YOU WANT. NOT GAINING IS THE IMPORTANT THING.

BARBIE, SUPPORT GROUPS ARE THE KEY TO LOSING AND KEEPING OFF WEIGHT.
    WE DO SO MUCH BETTER WHEN WE CAN LEAN ON EACH OTHER AND FEEL WE ARE NOT ALONE.

STAY STRONG EVERYONE.
    ANNE
  • healthier4me
    healthier4me Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Greetings everyone:flowerforyou:

Glad to see you check in Swissmiss and I certainly hope all are doing well.

I did my BLBootcamp workout today and got outside for a nice lonnnnnnnnnnnng walk. So, just with exercise today I have burned over 750 calories:bigsmile: Makes up for yesterday because I had a long day in the city with appointments and errands.

How great it is to visit this site everyday and know that I can feel right at home here with all you wonderful supportive ladies:heart: There is nothing like the comraderie of like-minded individuals to praise each other and pick up those that are down. One thing I know for sure is that when we make ourselves a priority everyone around us benefits:heart::heart:

Keep smiling and thinking positive thoughts:smile:

Cheers:drinker: :drinker:
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

What a great thread. Seems like April is the month for positive results. How great is that. I am so happy for everyone. So nice to log on and see we are all continuing our quest to better health.

I was dragging today but still made it to the gym. I usually go in the morning but had things to do in town so went this afternoon. My husband said, I should take a day off but that is not in the cards. I just have to keep going. I never know when life could give me a curve ball.

Wish all the best.

I found this on another thread. I just had to put it here.

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL FOR THE GREAT WORK.

clapping.gif

:heart: Kathy
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    Hi all!! :laugh: Hope everyone had a good day. What a beautiful day in PA, no clouds just sun and blue skies. I was out in the yard doing some chores, usually i'd be wiped out after, but i'm not, feel strong!!!

Hi swissmiss!! was wondering where you were, hope your doing better!!

Doughnuts at work, girls make fun of me when i don't take one, i just groin and pass!! I'm surprised in myself how motivated i am with the food diary and not cheating!!! :laugh:

:drinker:
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Welcome back Swiss! We've missed you. This is such a great group of ladies. I can hardly wait to read who did or said what each day.

All this week hubby has been working until dark doing dirt work (getting ready to pour cement) so we have been eating supper several hours later than usual. So far I have made him whatever he wanted and fixed myself a salad. Sure makes it easier to stay within my calorie limits.

:bigsmile: Ahem! :bigsmile: (drum roll) Yippee! :happy: I'm thrilled to report I am officially down a size in underwear. As if that isn't exciting enough, tonight Hubby told me I was "melting away." Makes me want to work even harder! A pound a week doesn't sound like much but I keep reminding myself this time next year I'll be where I need to be.

Goodnight ladies :yawn:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone...just wanted to share a personal triumph. I am one who has never been good at outrunning or ignoring temptation--especially temptation dressed in chocolate. This is why I weigh about 125 lbs more than I should.

Today at work, a skinny coworker, who is always generous with goodies, sent a message to me and others that chocolate chip cookies were available at her desk. Depite my initial impulse to hang up on the customer I was talking to and head for the other end of the office where her desk is located, I restrained myself, and later I did take one cookie-an oversized affair w/chocolate chunks instead of chips--lead us NOT into temptation already!!:devil:

Okay, so how is taking a cookie a personal triumph? Easy, that was at 5p PT and it is now 9:35p PT and the cookie is now sitting in my kitchen being ignored until tomorrow or Friday when I will adjust my calories for the day and be able to enjoy it guilt free. (Previously I would have scarfed it down at once and decided, oh well one more won't hurt.)
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Good Evening all-

Here is a cookie update. It is still sitting there, waiting patiently. Maybe tomorrow..munch munch. Maybe not. I have to start planning for a dinner out on Sat night @ Outback..a going away party for a neighbor who is moving to Seattle.

Barbiecat mentioned earlier that her dogs were calling her to bed. Mine are passed out on the floor recovering from their dinner. Tomorrow is the Lhasa Apso's weigh in. She is on a diet, whether she likes it or not, and sometimes she doesn't. My Shih tzu is smaller than she is, but he is the WORST "bed hog"--wants to lay in the middle of the bed crossways and make me hang on the edge.

BTW--thank you to all for the encouraging words. and flowers. I needed them today. I get up at "oh dark thirty" as they say, so I am calling it a night.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,997 Member
    Options
    It's really past my bedtime now but I wanted to tell you that I went to a yoga class today at the Senior Center. I didn't know if I would like something slow and quiet but I did and plan to go again next week. I really need the work on flexibility.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Earlier i went to line dance and after lunch went to the dog park for an hour. It's been a busy day

:flowerforyou: Becky ---It's good to hear from you. Take it easy at work---glad you're taking your healthy food.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Thank you all for your encouragement. :heart: :love:

Barbie
  • FITFORLIFE1944
    Options
    HI GIRLS,

THIS MAY HAVE BEEN DONE BEFORE BUT WE ALL HAVE THINGS WE "WON'T" MISS ABOUT BEING FAT, ANYONE WANT TO ADD TO THE LIST?

1) HIDING FROM THE CAMERA

2) MAKING EXCUSES TO STAY HOME

3) SHOPPING IN PLUS SIZE DEPT.

4) TRYING TO FIND CLOTHES THAT LOOK GOOD ON A LUMPY BODY

5) ACHY JOINTS THAT MAKE EVEN WALKING PAINFUL

6) WEARING LONG PANTS ON A VERY HOT DAY

7) FEELING OLD

8) NOT BEING ABLE TO CROSS MY LEGS

9) FOOD BEING IN CHARGE OF ME

10) BEING AFRAID TO RUN INTO THE EX HUSBAND AND HIS WIFE

ANNE
  • doobiedoo
    doobiedoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I love every one of my fourteen children and have no regrets about having as many children as I could, but I won't miss LOOKING like I'm pregnant for the rest of my life...
  • dricotta1
    dricotta1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Mornin' all,

I am very proud of us. April really seems to be going well. Maybe the better weather?!:glasses: Not only are we exercising more, we're "yielding not to temptation" or figuring a way to have treats that aren't too costly.
    Short weight bio: I was always a skinny person, never thought about what I ate until about 50. Then I started to put on weight and, you know how it goes, I was "suddenly" 25lbs overweight and 35 lbs heavier than I'd ever been. Over the last 15 months I have lost 18lbs. I still want to lose another 7, but the important thing is that I've learned to live differently, not just diet. So it's taking a long time but it's an overall makeover and health benefit that I plan to maintain.
    Kudos to all of us for both continuing to work and for staying in touch.:bigsmile: :heart:
    Diane
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    I love every one of my fourteen children and have no regrets about having as many children as I could, but I won't miss LOOKING like I'm pregnant for the rest of my life...

I'm with you on that one! I only had two, but last summer when we had just moved here, someone at our new church asked me when I was due. Imagine the embarrassment when I told her I was FAT, not pregnant.

Vain or not, my biggest motivation to lose weight is meeting my size 10 best friend at the beach next spring. When we were there together last month, she got LOTS of second looks and I got NONE. Every picture we took I had to crop to above the waist to be able to stand to look at myself. :blushing:

I too was skinny until middle age struck. Then partly due to slower metabolism but mostly from turning to sweets to medicate the grief of selling my dream house, losing both parents, a hysterectomy and a major move (all within 2 years) ~ my 15 pounds overweight became 50. I can see now that I did this to myself ~ by crawling inside myself and turning to food for comfort. I just didn't care!

Now, it feel so wonderful to finally feel back in control of my life (well, as much as anybody ever can be) and seeing progress in the right direction. Now I look forward to exercise. Drinking water :drinker: isn't something I have to MAKE myself do, and I think twice about the cost of everything I put in my mouth now. I still eat pretty much whatever I want; I just find myself wanting different things now.... You ladies on this thread are a BIG PART part of that. :flowerforyou: THANKS!
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Wait a minute. You have fourteen children, doobiedoo? You sure have me beat.

I know that I said that I was going to do aerobics yesterday but the pills I am on make me sick to my stomach. I spent the day horizontal, sipping ice water and taking deep breaths. I am not going to take any more of them. I have a problem that the pills were taking care of that may prevent me from being able to exercise.
  • elli
    elli Posts: 593
    Options
    hello ladies - i really needed to read all of your posts this morning. Thank you:smile: I'm having a tough time right now - maybe it's the weather. I KNOW we need the moisture and i'm grateful for it (i really am!:love: ) but i'm embarassed to admit:embarassed: i really hate the rain. And i REALLY hate the mud - this morning i was ankle deep in it in some places just running around doing morning chores (of which there are SO few now). It's supposed to turn to snow anytime now and we're looking for up to 2 feet by tomorrow afternoon:sad: And of course - tomorrow morning is when we REscheduled that humane society fund raiser because of the LAST blizzard!!!!!!!!! Oh GEE! sorry for being such a "wa baby!":cry::sad: :cry: I DO realize how lucky i am and how good my life is. I had a bad food day yesterday, and didn't get to work out either. Don't know if i'll get to today (my friends asked me to watch their 9 month old after work) and i ate WAY too many calories yesterday. I'm back on this morning - hopefully i'll STAY on. You guys are such inspiration!

Swiss - so good to see you back! Is it okay for you to stop taking those pills????? That's got to be frustrating - something that's supposed to help you, keeps you from moving around........Hang in there!!!!!

Susan - you have gone through so much and are doing so great - you make me feel REALLY silly for venting!:embarassed: You and Diane were skinny kids huh? LUCKY!!!! I've been fat ever since i can remember. My Dad loved me with food, my mom was always putting me on diets:laugh: I think i've lost and gained the same 40 pounds about 4 different times in my life. This time i WILL keep it off:angry: mfp is so helpful! Hey Susan - at least you look young enough that someone thought you were pg!!!!!!!!!!!

Anne - here's another one for the list:
    11) The fear of trying something new that may be physically challanging.

Thanks for listening to my vent everyone...........have a great Friday! enjoy nice weather those of you who have it!!!!!!!!!:flowerforyou: ::flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: elli
  • dricotta1
    dricotta1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Elli---Venting is healthy. Better than eating, huh?! Sometimes I feel like if I vented more, in safe places, I'd be both healthier and thinner:ohwell: This is a safe place to vent, we've all been there at some point. And sorry for the coming snow. It's so depressing this late in the season. We often get it here in upstate NY too. :flowerforyou: Hang in there. Diane
  • FITFORLIFE1944
    Options
    ELLI, YOU CAN VENT ANYTIME. WE ALL DO AT ONE POINT OR ANOTHER. WEATHER SURE DOES EFFECT OUR MOOD. MAYBE WATCHING THAT DARLING BABY WILL GIVE YOU A BOOST. THEY ARE SUCH SWEET ANGELS. THANKS FOR NUMBER 11 ON MY LIST. I AM TRYING TO GET 20 IDEAS AND THEN SEND IT OFF TO MY COUSIN WHO JUST STARTED A LONG WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY AND IS HAVING IT REALLY HARD. I SEND EVERYTHING I CAN THINK OF TO HELP HER. CAN YOU PRIVATE MESSAGE ME WHERE TO DONATE TO THAT FUND YOU ARE INVOLVED IN. I WANT TO SEND A LITTLE SOMETHING. NOT SURE IF YOU ARE ALLOWED TO DO IT ON THIS BOARD? OUR LITTLE ANIMAL FRIENDS NEED US NOW MORE THAN EVER. THIS ECONOMY IS KILLING CHARITABLE CONTRIBUTIONS. LIKED WHAT YOU SAID ABOUT SUSAN LOOKING YOUNG ENOUGH FOR SOMEONE TO THINK SHE WAS PREGNANT. ONE WAY TO SEE THE GLASS HALF FULL.

SWISS, SORRY YOU HAD TO MISS THE AEROBICS AND THAT YOU WERE SO ILL.

DIANE, 18 LBS IS SUCH AN ACCOMPLISHMENT. TOO OFTEN EVERYONE WORRIES ABOUT HOW FAST THE WEIGHT CAN COME OFF. YOU ARE DOING IT RIGHT AND CHANGING YOUR HABITS AS
    YOU GO ALONG. WONDERFUL!!

KATHY, I JUST KNOW YOU WILL HAVE ONE OR TWO FOR MY LIST OF WHAT "WON'T" YOU MISS MOST ABOUT BEING FAT.

SUSAN, YOU HAD SO MANY MAJOR EVENTS TO DEAL WITH, IT IS NO WONDER YOU TURNED TO FOOD. AS FOR BEING VAIN , NO WAY. WHY SHOULDN'T YOU WANT TO LOOK JUST AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER THAN YOUR FRIEND AND I'M SURE SHE WILL BE THRILLED FOR YOU.

OK BEFORE I GO HERE IS A LITTLE POEM FOR ALL OF US. HOPE I DID NOT POST IT ALREADY,I AM A LITTLE FORGETFUL.

INCREASE YOUR ACTIVITY EACH DAY BY A BIT,
    YOU'LL BEGIN TO SEE YOURSELF GETTING FIT.

BUT, INCREASE YOUR EATING EACH DAY BY A BITE,
    YOU'LL LOOK AT YOURSELF AND SAY " MY WHAT A SIGHT"

WISHING EVERYONE A HEALTHY AND HAPPY DAY
    ANNE
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Fit...# 10 is my favorite. How about not having to unbutton the button on your jeans and making sure that your shirt is long enough to hide that fact.

As for venting...I love to do that. I will leave my husband out of this thread though. :laugh:

suezzzque...I can totally understand your weight gain. That was a lot to go through.

Hey...why is it when a couple get divorced the man loses weight and the woman finds it?
  • weaklink109
    Options
    The last remark about men reminded me of something. There is nothing worse than a man who not only hasn't been TRYING to lose weight, but doesn't even notice he has!! I am referring to my dear dad, who is going to be 82 this year. He is in reasonably good health and still enjoys a little scotch regularly, but due to a medication recently introduced, his doctor told him no alcohol for a period of time. That was 6 weeks ago. Last weekend at dinner he casually announces that when he went to the doctor and was weighed during the exam he had lost 18 lbs!!! He really DID "lose" them--didn't even know they were gone.:ohwell:

On the other hand. I KNOW where all mine are!!!:laugh: