50+ Women for the Month of April

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Welcome back from all the Easter temptations. It's a good thing Easter doesn't last for eight days like Passover. I haven't eaten anything I'm sorry for. I didn't buy or make any of the sweets that I could have. But I'm really missing cereal, bread, crackers, and rice. Instead of dreaming of chocolate, I'm dreaming about bowls of cereal.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

We thoroughly enjoyed our jumbo calorie low sodium chicken soup with matzo balls that we had for lunch yesterday. It was worth the looooooooong time it took to prepare. We ate really light for breakfast and supper and exercised a bunch and came out in a good place with the days calories.

This morning was my regular weigh-in and I lost 2 more pounds YIPPEE !

The appraiser came to look at our house this morning (we're refinancing) so I agreed to take the dogs to the dog park and keep them there so they wouldn't be underfoot. As a result, I had a 79 minute walk---great calorie burner. :bigsmile:

Anne, I don't know if I could have been in the same house with ice cream cake. When I've talked about saying no to birthday cake, I wasn't thinking about ice cream cake.:laugh: :laugh: It's good that you've bounced back immediately. Maybe bouncing wasn't the right word, as we get thinner, we don't bounce like we used to.:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Kathy, I love your plan about staying busy and not sitting down. It appears to have worked for you:bigsmile:

Esther, I thought about you while I was sweatin to the oldies. It was more like dancing with the doggies. Brandy and Sasha wanted to put their paws on my shoulders and dance with me and during the part of the workout that had stretching on the floor, they tried to get in my lap. :laugh: I don't even want to think about what I'd do if I ate a Cadbury egg, probably eat a few more.

Healthier---congrats on getting through all the stressful stuff over the weekend and losing weight besides. Thanks for the great pep talk. :bigsmile: and the reminder to drink more water :drinker: :drinker:

Jake has medical tests this afternoon (just routine stuff) and he has to fast so I ate my lunch at the computer while he's out in the garage polishing the red car. I felt like a "sneak eater" even though I was eating my carefully planned lunch of salad with spray dressing, lean turkey burger, and frozen spinach.

Let's all keep up the good work and the happy trudge toward our goals for April. Even if there are bumps in the road, we can survive and press on.

hugs to all, :love: :love: :love:
    Barbie
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Hello all!

I was able to stay within the limits I set for myself at the family Easter meal. I had my usual for breakfast, soup and salad for lunch and only ate a small portion of all my favorites at supper. Granted, that sliver of pie put me over my 1200 calorie limit, but I was still well under my BMR, so I'll say it was a success, for a holiday. Accountability here ant MFP has helped me alot.

Saturday hubby and his Dad started work on converting our carport into a garage and I made them peach fried pies. They loved it, and I wasn't tempted to take even one bite ~ because the only way I like to eat a peach is raw. I ate a few raw strawberries instead.

Just finished my strength training session. I'm happy to report that I was able to do a few more reps in each set and don't feel as winded as I did when I began last week, so I'm thinking I'm gaining strength and hopefully muscle tone. Still looking forward to the day I can do the entire DVD step for step. For now I'm just focusing on being consistent in doing it 3 times a week.... Now that I've caught my wind, on to the treadmill to burn some calories in this fight to reduce the size of my belly. :yawn: I'd RATHER take a nap!
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    The sun came out so instead of hitting the treadmill, I was able to walk the dog instead. I'd MUCH RATHER be outdoors! :happy: Glad Muffin only weighs 10 lbs cuz I had to carry her over half the way home... Guess she's getting old... She was just worn out!
    s175456237.jpg
    Guess that hour outdoors was just what I needed to lift my spirits and keep my focus. Amazing how sunshine and exercise does that!
  • doobiedoo
    doobiedoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP about a week ago and am trying to get more and more familiar with all it has to offer. I came across this 50+ board today and I think this is something that will make a difference for me this time. I have been moderately overweight all my life (or so it seems) and after having 14 children I need to lose about 50-75 pounds. I've never dieted very seriously, but I know that to get this weight off I have to be really diligent. This site is such a help in keeping track of food and exercise. And, as I'm finding out, is a source of help and encouragement. I do know that it isn't as easy to lose as it was when I was younger, but so what, I know I can do it. Walking on the treadmill helps alot. Today I discovered that if I put something over the read-out screen that I go alot farther because I'm not watching for the time to be done. I listen to music or sermons on my MP3 and that makes the time go faster.
    I finally got my ticker on (two of them in fact), but I need some hints on how to get some photos on. Any help would be great! I'm looking forward to the interaction.
  • Grammymax
    Grammymax Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP about a week ago and am trying to get more and more familiar with all it has to offer. I came across this 50+ board today and I think this is something that will make a difference for me this time. I have been moderately overweight all my life (or so it seems) and after having 14 children I need to lose about 50-75 pounds. I've never dieted very seriously, but I know that to get this weight off I have to be really diligent. This site is such a help in keeping track of food and exercise. And, as I'm finding out, is a source of help and encouragement. I do know that it isn't as easy to lose as it was when I was younger, but so what, I know I can do it. Walking on the treadmill helps alot. Today I discovered that if I put something over the read-out screen that I go alot farther because I'm not watching for the time to be done. I listen to music or sermons on my MP3 and that makes the time go faster.
    I finally got my ticker on (two of them in fact), but I need some hints on how to get some photos on. Any help would be great! I'm looking forward to the interaction.

Welcome. Glad you found us. I am one of 15 children and you have 14! Not very many of us out there from such a big family :wink: I'll let someone else address your questions about the website because I just fumble through it - I can't really tell someone else how to do it.

I just added some pics to my profile of our grandson from yesterday. He is definitely a 'momma's boy'. His bottle just doesn't taste the same if someone else feeds it to him besides mom! :ohwell: I tried.

Time to get back to work.

Have a good afternoon everyone.

Esther
  • healthier4me
    healthier4me Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I am one of 15 children and you have 14! Not very many of us out there from such a big family :wink:

Esther

Oh my gosh Esther I am one of 15 as well. I am #10. Amazing isn't it? What # are you?
  • Grammymax
    Options
    I am one of 15 children and you have 14! Not very many of us out there from such a big family :wink:

Esther

Oh my gosh Esther I am one of 15 as well. I am #10. Amazing isn't it? What # are you?
    I'm number 15! Wow - didn't know there were any more out there with that big of a family!
  • Grammymax
    Options

Esther - I make a wonderful fruit salad you could try on your family instead of pies or the like...mix the fruits of your choice and combine 1/4 cup Honey, 1/4 cup Lime Juice and 1/4 cup fresh chopped Mint Leaves. You may have to adjust the amounts depending on how much fruit you have. Your fruit shouldn't be swimming in the stuff, just lightly coated. It's fabulously refreshing and a great hit at potlucks.

Julie

Thank you for this. I went back to find out who it was who gave this recipe. It was so yummy ...but, I didn't have the mint leaves so I just used the honey and the lime. It was very good and refreshing. Thanks. I'm going to remember this one. In fact, I'm going to make some for tonight again!
    Thanks again,
    Esther
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Welcome Doobiedo :bigsmile:
    You have come to the right place. This 50+ thread is a great group of ladies that will encourage and motivate you. :bigsmile: After only two months they feel like family to me.

If you want to add a photo to your ticker, here's what to do:
    *go to "My Home"
    *go to "Tools"
    *go to Weight Loss Ticker"
    *go to "change the style of your ticker"
    *choose "personalized"
    *browse to find a photo from the ones on your computer and follow the directions from there

If you want to get rid of the second ticker go to settings and choose "change forum signature"

If you want to put pictures on your post that's beyond my skill level but someone else has the answer

Good luck on your journey. You can do it. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    Barbie :love:
  • FITFORLIFE1944
    Options
    HI EVERYONE, SEEMS MOST OF US DID OK FOR EASTER AND THE ONES, LIKE ME, THAT WENT OVER THEIR CALORIES ARE RIGHT BACK ON TRACK OR CLOSE TO IT. GOOD FOR US, WE ROCK!

DOOBIEDOO, WELCOME TO THE 50+ BOARD. I LOVE THE SUPPORT, THE PEOPLE ARE JUST WONDERFUL EXAMPLES OF WHAT WE CAN DO AT ANY AGE. GLAD YOU ARE NOT BUYING INTO THE "I'M TOO OLD TO LOSE WEIGHT" LINE OF THINKING. OF COURSE YOU CAN DO IT. WISHING YOU SUCCESS.

SUSAN, WHAT AN ADORABLE DOGGIE. GLAD YOU ARE IN SUCH GOOD SPIRITS. GOOD WORK ON YOUR HOLIDAY STRATEGY.

BARBIE, WHAT A GAL!! TWO MORE POUNDS GONE, WONDERFUL!!

ESTHER, CADBURY EGGS WOULD BE HARD FOR ANYONE TO RESIST. VERY CUTE PICTURES OF YOUR SWEET GRANDCHILD.

BROOKS, GLAD YOU ARE BACK. I AM NEW SO I DON'T KNOW YOU. SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE REALLY MOTIVATED THIS TIME. WISHING YOU THE BEST.

DIANE, YOU HAVE THE RIGHT IDEA. FOCUS ON BEING HEALTHIER. SOMETIMES WE JUST PLAIN OVEREAT. FORGIVE YOURSELF AND MOVE ON TOWARD YOUR GOAL. YOU CAN DO IT.

HEALTHIER, CANGRATS ON LOSING ANOTHER 2 POUNDS, FABULOUS.
    LOVE THAT YOU SENT THE LEFTOVERS HOME WITH THE COMPANY, EXCELLENT MOVE.

NANCY, 2 POUNDS IN MARCH MAY NOT BE WHAT YOU HOPED FOR BUT COUNT MARCH AS A SUCCESS. THAT IS WONDERFUL.
    WHEN THINGS ARE "CRAZY" AND WE HAVE LOTS OF STRESS WE LOOK FOR COMFORT IN FOOD. THIS IS A HABIT AND HABITS CAN BE BROKEN. TRY TO AVOID HAVING CANDY AROUND AT HOME AND WORK, BEFORE YOU TAKE THE FIRST BITE, ASK YOURSELF IF IT IS WORTH IT. DO YOU WANT IT ENOUGH TO "WEAR" IT? SUBSTITUTE THE "BAD" FOOD WITH SOME OTHER LOW CALORIE SNACK OR DRINK. I USED SWISS MISS DIET HOT CHOCOLATE. GIVE YOURSELF 10 TO 15 MINUTES TO SEE IF THE CRAVING WILL PASS. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU. BE STRONG, YOU CAN DO THIS.

VICKY, SOUNDS LIKE APRIL WILL BE A BETTER MONTH FOR YOU. HOPE YOUR GRANDCHILD IS DOING WELL. WELCOME.

I KNOW WE WILL ALL HAVE A GOOD WEEK. WE WILL EAT HEALTHY FOODS AND EXERCISE AS MUCH AS WE POSSIBLY CAN.

ANNE
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Fitforlife1944

Great to have you on this thread. We have so many great ladies.

You are another inspiration that we need to have.

:flowerforyou: Ladies

I just know it is my weekend eating choices that have prevented me from losing weight. I have a large family and we surround ourselves with food. I do attempt to eat the healthy choices, then I go right back to eat the things I should not. The weekends are my biggest down fall.

SO, for the month of APRIL I am WAGGING WAR on Weekend choices. I want to find a name for it but I have not figured it out yet. My brain is still sleeping. :bigsmile: Any suggestions????

Weekend Weight Loss War???

:heart: Kathy
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I think you meant WAGING WAR, rather than wagging, but thanks for the giggle. You could call yourself a "Weekend Warrior", couldn't you?
  • healthier4me
    Options

Welcome to this great site. Wishing you all the very best. Lots of support and motivation to be shared here:flowerforyou:
  • healthier4me
    Options
    I think you meant WAGING WAR, rather than wagging, but thanks for the giggle. You could call yourself a "Weekend Warrior", couldn't you?

Warmest welcome to you:flowerforyou:
  • elli
    elli Posts: 593
    Options
    hi everyone! Well, we all made it through the Easter weekend! yay!!!!!!! I'm glad that's done!:happy: OMG - what's with these huge families?????? Healthier and Esther - i can't believe you BOTH have 15 "kids" in your families! And welcome Doobie - you gave BIRTH to 14 kids?!?!?!? I'm just so blown away! It was all i could do to get 2 boys raised!:noway: Congrats on the 2# wt loss Healthier! Way to go!!!!!!!!

Barbie - how long do you have to go without eating cereal, bread, etc.? That would be SO hard on me - i eat cereal most nightsfor supper! I hope you're almost DONE!!!!!!!!

Suezq - Muffin is SO cute! Glad you got to walk her outside. I did the same thing tonight - i went to the gym, worked out on the elliptical, then did some lifting and then decided instead of the treatmill to come home and walk the dogs. It was nice out! AND that dead cow is gone so i was happy!!!!:happy:

Kathy - sometimes i think we NEED to take a day off from the gym. I didn't go yesterday and today i felt kind of energized! That's awesome that that 1 pound is staying off!

Vicky - how's your grandbaby doing?

Hey Anne - you always have such good advice. I'm SUCH a comfort eater. I'm going to try that - give myself 10 to 15 minutes and see if maybe i'll forget about what i was going to put in my mouth!

Well, i'm still hoping to lose 2 more pounds by the end of April - we'll see. it sure is going SLOW!!!!!!!

Have a good night everybody! elli
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Wagging:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Maybe my wagging helped me lose weight

:heart: Kathy
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    512DM6MXXGL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg
    I'm reading Mike Huckabee's book called "Quit Digging Your Grave With Your Knife and Fork." Did you know while he was governor of Arkansas he lost 100 pounds? This book came out of that journey... Anyway , here are a couple of the things that he said helped him with sweet-tooth cravings:

APPLES! - Something in apples helps kill cravings. He said they became his secret weapon. Whenever he was craving something he knew he had no business eating, he would eat an apple instead.

20 MINUTE RULE - He said whenever he felt hungry between meals he would drink a glass of water and wait 20 minutes.:drinker: If he still felt hungry after the 20 minutes he would allow himself 2-3 bites of whatever and then dispose of the rest. He said rarely did he ever want whatever it was after the 20 minutes. If he was still hungry. You guessed it .... he ate an apple!

I have tried both of these and it has helped me as well.

Today is my errand day so I better hit the treadmill and scoot. I'm running out of apples :laugh: Happy Tuesday Y'all! :flowerforyou:
  • FITFORLIFE1944
    Options
    ELLI,

SUSAN ALSO SUGGESTED SOMETHING FROM MIKE HUCKABEE'S BOOK THAT IS SIMILAR. 20 MINUTE WAIT. IT'S INTERESTING THAT SO MANY PEOPLE FEEL A CRAVING OR HUNGER AND IMMEDIATELY EAT. I DID FOR YEARS. SO MANY TIMES THEY ARE REALLY THIRSTY,OR IF THEY FOLLOW HUCKABEE'S ADVICE THEY COULD STOP THE CRAVING. HE USED APPLES IF HE STILL FELT HUNGRY AFTER WAITING BUT YOU CAN CHOSE ANY LOW CAL FOOD THAT DOES IT FOR YOU.
    ALSO, DOING SOMETHING TO TAKE YOUR MIND OFF THE FOOD IS HELPFUL. ANY CRAFT,BOOK, MOVIE,SOMETHING TO CONCENTRATE ON INSTEAD OF FOOD.

ANNE
  • elli
    elli Posts: 593
    Options
    thank you Susan and Anne for these great suggestions! I LOVE the idea of eating an apple instead of looking for something sweet! I'm going to stock up on organic pink lady apples! yum!:happy:
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Good morning everyone

Welcome to the new friends and welcome back to booksarenice.

Everyone seems to have done very well over the holiday weekend. I ate too much but not crazy and I'm not getting on the scale this week.

Its been wonderful visiting with my brother and his family from Alberta. They arrived on Friday around supper time.

All would be perfect if our septic field wasn't frozen and if the pipe in the laundry didn't burst and flood the basement.:grumble: Talk about lousy timing! These are challenging times with 8 people in the house. Today the pumper truck will come and empty the septic tank and hopefully that will solve the problem. My greatest wish for today is that the black cloud that follows me will move on!!!!

I should burn some calories carting my mountain of sopping wet laundry out to do:laugh:

We had 28 people for dinner on Easter and even though I was totally stressed about the water/septic situation, everything went wonderfully well!

I'm busy trying to catch up on the thread from the last couple of days. Lots of good info.

You are an inspirational bunch. Thanks for being here for me.

Swissmiss - I hope you stick around. Its okay to vent or be troubled around us. We may be able to lighten your load just by being here. Positive thoughts your way for a speedy recovery.

Have a great day all

Heather

Three more pounds to go (again) til my ticker is correct . I didn't change it when I gained back a bit because it was kind of like giving in to the gain.