To Log or Not to Log Thanksgiving

Options

Replies

• BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm going to manually add 2500 Cal, which is my maintenance level, and call it a day.
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I plan to use portion control and log everything I eat.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I did pretty well with Canadian thanksgiving. Ate a protein rich breakfast, a light lunch, and saved up calories for stuffing and dessert. Still went a bit over I think, but made up for it the next day.
  • Gonzoxx
    Options
    i think in this site there is an invisible (but logical) rule...

YOU EAT IT YOU LOG IT

:)
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I'm logging because I rarely eat on Thanksgiving.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I will. Eating over somewhere else makes it difficult to know the amounts of what you're eating, and I'm not that great at eyeballing it yet.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    i think in this site there is an invisible (but logical) rule...

YOU EAT IT YOU LOG IT

:)

It's not a RULE. Each person has to use this site in the way that works best for them. If you want to lose weight, then, yes, you need to log regularly. But I don't think it's going to hurt anyone if they day a take off, as long as they jump right back in the next day. I also don't plan to log my food every day for the rest of my life, so this will be a good practice day. If I can eat reasonably on a holiday like Thanksgiving without logging, then that bodes well for the rest of my life.

I've been religiously logging for over a month now, so I plan to take that day off and spend it focusing on my kids and my family. Then on Friday, back to logging every bite. I don't think anyone should feel guilty for taking a day off on the holiday. I plan to take Christmas Day off, too, though probably not New Year's Day.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I will. Eating over somewhere else makes it difficult to know the amounts of what you're eating, and I'm not that great at eyeballing it yet.

I figure even if my estimates are off, it will still be a better estimate than not estimating at all. :-)
  • Puddykat1026
    Puddykat1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I plan to log, but have a little bit of everything. So I won't have full portion sizes, so it should balance out. My gym is only open for a portion on Thursday, so I plan to do a little working out at home to avoid that "stuffed turkey" feeling :) Good luck!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I think of this site as a Swiss Army Knife.

There's lots of different tools we can use - logging calories, logging exercise, tracking our weight, giving and getting support on the forums - and it's not wrong to not use all of the tools all of the time.

I initially logged all my food because I needed to be aware of what I was eating and it's impact on my body. After about eleven months of doing so, I have a pretty good handle on what my body wants and needs. What it wants and what it needs aren't always the same thing, so I'm still logging my food most of the time, but my goal is to eventually not log at all.

I think we all need a break from it every now and then. One planned day off for a holiday isn't going to wreck all the work you've done any more than one day of fasting would make you lose weight if you ate crappy the other 29 days of the month. :wink:
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    One planned day off for a holiday isn't going to wreck all the work you've done any more than one day of fasting would make you lose weight if you ate crappy the other 29 days of the month. :wink:
    Excellent point. I'm going to steal that from you if you don't mind. :D
  • Red5446
    Red5446 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    More room for alcohol indeed! I'll be cooking all day, which will mostly distract me from food. I'm hoping that I'll get caught in one of my "why eat when you can drink?" moods. Better an alcohol than a food hangover.
  • jill___
    jill___ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I will be logging AND watching what I eat. I plan to stick mainly to veggies, a little turkey, a little stuffing -- and I'll see about dessert after everything else is logged.

I lost my first 20 lbs between Halloween and Thanksgiving last year, I was very careful and obsessive with everything I ate. I had planned on losing much more than I have by this Thanksgiving -- but I starting slacking off when I hit under 200lbs. Now I'm back on track and I'm not letting a stupid holiday ruin it for me!
  • getfine2015
    getfine2015 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Im logging....EVERYTHING!!!!! NOT LOGGING DOSENT MEAN YOU DIDNT EAT IT!!!!!....remember....(D-nile is a river in Jordan).
  • LaSutopia
    LaSutopia Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Im logging....EVERYTHING!!!!! NOT LOGGING DOSENT MEAN YOU DIDNT EAT IT!!!!!....remember....(D-nile is a river in Jordan).

I like this! I can not feel like the others when they say they are gonna eat what they want, not worry about it and not feel bad about it. I believe this is a life style change not something where we just force ourselves to do something on the days we don't have excuses for. Yes it's one day, but Im sure that excuse come around for Christmas and Bdays and Valentines day and basically any other day that people usually eat a lot for. So in reality it is not just one day. I honestly can not eat as much as I used to and I can not just eat things that I know are a huge amount of calories anymore. I have days where I crave something and I sometimes eat it but I know I should not for any reason, no matter if its just a craving or some bad holiday tradition that I can pass it off on. I feel bad about it period. That's how I know I have changed and I will not go back to making excuses. Maybe I am just not as strong as others but I can't give myself an inch. Addicts can't do that, at least not me. I can't overeat a lot just ONE day cause then I can always find another excuse to do it again. Thanksgiving is not about stuffing our faces with tons of calories, It's about giving thanks for our blessings. I plan on eating what we have but only in small portions that stay in my limit and If I have any dessert it will just be a bite or two of a piece I share with my husband or something like that. I plan to log and stay in my limit...just like any other day I have committed to do this. Now i may have to get some exercise in so I have a few extra!
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    Nope. I'm going to enjoy myself regardless of what you guys say. *says it in a respective way*:
    You gotta live once in a while. :bigsmile:
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options

Choosing not to log for one day does not necessarily mean someone is in denial. I'm not logging that day, but I plan to eat in a sensible manner and will get out and ride bikes with my kids that day. It will be a healthy day, but a day to take a mental break from the constant counting and logging. I want to focus that day on my kids and my family as well as the many things I have to be thankful for, including the progress I've made so far. Keeping that progress in mind, as well as how thankful I am for it, will help me to be mindful of what I eat.

I just finished reading the book "Mindless Eating", and I plan to employ some of his tips as well (using a smaller plate is probably the biggest one). I will not go back for seconds, and I will eat slowly so that my brain has time to register that I'm full. I will also stop eating when I'm full, whether anyone else is still eating or not. I learned some fascinating things from that book about the external cues that affect how much we eat. I plan to use some of those things to help me not overeat that day. That is also my son's birthday, and I plan to have a small piece of his birthday cake. If you think I'm in denial because of that, that's fine, but I know where my head is right now and I'm going in with a plan so that I don't just mindlessly stuff myself.
  • neenaj33
    neenaj33 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I log the good, the bad and the ugly, so you should definitely log it
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'll be logging also...but like most people I'm very aware that I will be going over my calories. Must enjoy the day and I will not feel bad about it! :happy:

SAME HERE.
  • aiyana1228
    aiyana1228 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You can make cranberry sauce with splenda instead of sugar. Every little bit helps. I also prefer to eat deserts done with splenda. Just don't feel as guilty after. That way I can eat the gravy and at least feel like I have done some things to keep it from being overkill. Sill haven't decided if I will log it or not. Probably will. I logged my birthday dinner and my nieces wedding so why not. (note-Those two meals were a week apart and I gained 3 lbs-So sucks!)