How Do You Feel About The Flu Shot?

Options

Replies

• DayDreamer78
    DayDreamer78 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I get one every year w/out fail. Hey, I'm no doctor so I do what the doctor recommends!
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    No, thanks. I don't so much have a problem with the vaccine itself, it's the other stuff that concerns me. Like thimerosal, squalene, mercury, formaldehyde. And there's no guarantee the strain you get inoculated against will be the one you could possibly get infected with. The last time I got the flu was in 1994 after I got a flu shot.

I know someone who is about to have a baby who told her parents and in-laws that if they wanted to see the baby they would need to get flu and hepatitis shots. If she said that to me, I guess I wouldn't be seeing the baby for a while. :( That seemed pretty overreactionary to me.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I get the flu almost every year that I don't get the shot. That being said, I haven't missed getting the shot in about 5 or 6 years.

I love the flu shot. When I get the flu, I miss work for about a week, and I don't have time for that. When I get the flu shot, my arm is sore for about a day and a half, but I go on about my business without missing a beat.

I sincerely hope that when my coworkers get sick, they will stay home. If they want to work, that's fine, but I just ask that they work from home and refrain from sneezing all over the place at the office.

I am generally not a germophobe, but I do keep some hand sanitizer on my desk, because I am one of those people that catches everything. I do what I can to avoid cold and flu germs.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I've never had one. I'm pro vax in general but it's pretty much impossible to keep up with the flu. Plus it's not that serious. I have some lingering asthma which causes me to frequently get bronchitis after I get something like the flu, and I still don't bother.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I have a special needs daughter, so I get one every year. I can understand your being upset, but I have mixed feelings. If you work in the health care industry or with children, I highly recommend it.
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I do work in a hospital but still....it has always been our choice as to whether we wanted one or not. The Dr.'s will argue all day that it doesn't make you sick but there are certain people who seem to get the flu after having the shot. I mean what if the strand isn't dead? What if the guess is wrong and you get the flu anyway? The side effects are cold/flu like symptoms.. I'm not really argueing their point but I don't even take tylenol-I have suffered through pain several times- I just don't like putting things into my body. One day I may regret feeling that way but its just how I feel.
    The whole swine flu shot came out immediately-I just don't think they really had enough time to test it.
    My only way out is a written excuse from my doctor which I contacted toay LOL, I highly doubt that he will approve that but it was worth a try for the sake of my job I will take it and if I do get ill-someone will hear about it!! I mean that in a nice way! =)
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I don't need the flu shot yet. I have a pretty decent immunity to the flu. I'd either never had the flu before I was 30 or I had such mild symptoms that I didn't realize it. I figure once I actually need it, then I'll get it. I don't care what other people do with their bodies.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    No, thanks. I don't so much have a problem with the vaccine itself, it's the other stuff that concerns me. Like thimerosal, squalene, mercury, formaldehyde. And there's no guarantee the strain you get inoculated against will be the one you could possibly get infected with. The last time I got the flu was in 1994 after I got a flu shot.

I know someone who is about to have a baby who told her parents and in-laws that if they wanted to see the baby they would need to get flu and hepatitis shots. If she said that to me, I guess I wouldn't be seeing the baby for a while. :( That seemed pretty overreactionary to me.

sounds like a good mom to me
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I haven't had it in 10 years and I have yet to get the flu.

That's wrong you're being forced!
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    I do work in a hospital but still....it has always been our choice as to whether we wanted one or not. The Dr.'s will argue all day that it doesn't make you sick but there are certain people who seem to get the flu after having the shot. I mean what if the strand isn't dead? What if the guess is wrong and you get the flu anyway? The side effects are cold/flu like symptoms.. I'm not really argueing their point but I don't even take tylenol-I have suffered through pain several times- I just don't like putting things into my body. One day I may regret feeling that way but its just how I feel.
    The whole swine flu shot came out immediately-I just don't think they really had enough time to test it.
    My only way out is a written excuse from my doctor which I contacted toay LOL, I highly doubt that he will approve that but it was worth a try for the sake of my job I will take it and if I do get ill-someone will hear about it!! I mean that in a nice way! =)

yeah but if you work in the hospital you are going to come in contact with immune comprised people. how would you feel if you caused someones death?
  • savanahspring
    Options
    It is impossible to get the flu from the flu shot. The virus is inactivated and dead. The nasal spray one is live, so technically it could happen that you get the flu from that, but still very unlikely. Just wanted to make that clear!
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    It is impossible to get the flu from the flu shot. The virus is inactivated and dead. The nasal spray one is live, so technically it could happen that you get the flu from that, but still very unlikely. Just wanted to make that clear!

you can have reactions with similar or worse symptoms
  • N_BEAST_MODE_24_7
    N_BEAST_MODE_24_7 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Its mandatory for military, I been getting the flu shot for the last 20 years and can only remember getting sick twice.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    Just an FYI: typically, people don't die from the flu. They die from complications from the flu (usually dehydration). This is preventable by making sure that when/if you are sick (with ANYTHING), you keep yourself hydrated.

And the 36,000/year is also a guess. They can't actually determine the number because of how death certificates are filled out (non-specific). BUT-if you consider how many people die per DAY in the world (about 155,000), it's really a small number. Of course, they do feel big to the people related to those who do die from complications of the flu, but it does to the family of the 155,000 also...

Especially considering the fact that the flu shot is a GUESS (meaning you can get the shot and still get a wicked flu), it just doesn't seem worth it. The flu is constantly changing and morphing, so by the time one actually gets the shot, it's essentially ineffective anyway.

The best prevention is exercise, proper diet, and keeping up on your necessary vitamins.
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I am in same boat. I was forced to get shot for hospital. The only way out was to say you are allergic with md note. Maybe you can do that. I am not happy about it. but its done.
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options

I'm not argueing your point at all because I hear this all the time but what I don't understand is why certain people get the flu after the shot.
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI: typically, people don't die from the flu. They die from complications from the flu (usually dehydration). This is The best prevention is exercise, proper diet, and keeping up on your necessary vitamins.

This is my take on it too.... except maybe adding Washing your hands.
    Besides, the shot doesn't keep you from getting the pukey flu..
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options

I'm not argueing your point at all because I hear this all the time but what I don't understand is why certain people get the flu after the shot.

I've heard this too but I literally got the flu within 48 hours of getting the shot. And not mild flu-like symptoms, full blown flu. Concidence? Sure, could be. But as I'm not prone to getting it, it's not something I feel is necessary and I wouldn't appreciate being forced to get it.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I definitely believe it should be a choice no way a job shld have a right to tell you you HAVE to get it. I am a nurse and it is highly encouraged where I work but not mandatory. I believe it is personal choice. Even if you get the flu vaccine it does not prohibit all of us from WASHING YOUR HANDS which spread more bacteria and viruses. Nasty dirty hands! Wash wash wash!!!!! It does not protect you from the common cold...another virus so still perform best practices....wash hands, eat plenty fruits and veggies healthy proteins for immune system and stay at HOME if sick...your co-workers will thank you!!!!!
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Not everyone is lucky enough to be able to get the flu shot. My daughter has an egg allergy and is asthmatic. Getting the flu can be very dangerous for her, but the shot could be even more dangerous (due to her allergy). I like to hope most people would consider getting the shot so they don't infect her while we are walking around the grocery store or other public place. Some people may not care about getting the flu, but it is a very big deal to others who don't have the choice to get vaccinated.