How Do You Feel About The Flu Shot?

Options

Replies

• SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I look forward to hearing findings in the next ten years on the effects the flu shot has had.
    Why 10 years from now? We've been vaccinating people for influenza since the 1940s.

And new health problems have been popping up ever since. Native Americans are plagued with health problems. Before technology and modern medical science influenced their lifestyles they were a culture that was relatively free of sickness and disease. African Americans have one of the highest rates of skin cancer in America, yet tribes in Africa that stand in the sun for 15 hrs. a day straight have very low rates of skin cancer, if no skin cancer at all. The variables are obvious.
    If you're looking for the obvious variables, then SURELY you mean the HUGE dietary and lifestyle changes at large that have happened also in that time frame, not to mention the intruduction of new peoples with new genes and new viruses.

I'm sorry, but you guys lose me so quickly. I'm pretty hippy. I won't say how long I breastfed for. LOL But surely you know by now that correlation does not prove causation? It is so short-sighted to think any of the above is convincingly linked to vaccinations. And conveniently leaving out how many countless lives have been saved by them, no less.

The proof is in the pudding. You can't pick and choose what variables you see fit for an honest debate, unless you are manipulating.
    I actually don't disagree with THAT statement, but that's not what you said, you implied real clearly that vaccines were the "obvious" change in society, and therefore the reason problems exist that didn't before.

Ignoring the fact that new populations were introduced (mixing not only germs, but DNA), new lifestyles & diets adoped, all kinds of huge changes, which frankly are a lot more likely suspects, just logistically thinking, than vaccinations. Of course also ignoring the historical fact that things simply weren't dX'd "back then," and that's as big an issue. Take Autism, people like to make this connection to vaccinations which has NEVER been clinically shown by anything convincing, and people think it didn't exist back then, ignoring the reality of the fact that Autistic kids would have simply been tragically undiagnosed "back then," unless they were practically catatonic. It seems likely that there weren't as many kids with Autism then, but the number simply can't be known.

There have been such a myriad of changes, it can't truly be known right now *why* my mom (for instance) has MS now, which didn't exist then-- if it's diet, lifestyle, environmental, vaccinations, some mix of the above, or anything else, JUST AS LIKELY is the FACT that "back then" she would have just been dXd as old, tired, or lazy, and would have died undX'd & not gone in any books as an MS patient. MS is actually a good example, because it seems more logical that it might be related to taxing the immune system than something like skin cancer or your other examples. Another thing people fail to weigh in thier thoughts sometimes is how she might well be dead of Polio, without the vaccination she took.

So at the end of the day, I'm not super pro-vax in theory, but in practice, the PROVEN, KNOWN good (great) outweighs the feared, possible, maybe/someday, mostly imaginary bad to me. I don't think people should legally be required to get the flu shot, but I think it's kind practice to avoid passing it to others it will kill.

I implied that health problems have been popping up ever since and that you don't know what the causes are, so how can you eliminate vaccinations as a problem. You can't. It's an ongoing study. It's scientific research, not medical law.
    You're right, and I can't prove it wasn't aliens, either. No proving negatives.

But in all seriousness, I do agree with this most recent quote of yours. No, I can't prove it wasn't vaccinations. But I have to weigh the very real benefits with the possible, implied, maybe/someday costs. Still, I know what you're saying, and I do agree with that part.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Go to healthnews.com with Mike Adams and search for "flu shots". You'll find plenty of counter research that suggests flu shots are harmful, unproven, and dangerous. In fact one study shows influenza shots were effective in 1.5 out of 100. Big pharma claims much higher than that at around 60%.
    I went to healthnews.com and searched for "flu shots" as you directed. All I found were articles on 1) the CDC urging people (particularly health care workers) to get flu shots, 2) a survey stating that most US doctors plan to get them, 3) research stating that flu shots are safe for pregnant women and that they provide benefits to the baby as well, 4) research showing a connection between flu shots and reduced risk of heart attack in the elderly, 5) research into a 'universal' flu shot that people would only have to get once instead of seasonally.

In fact, from your own recommended site, I also found a study that showed that the effectiveness of the flu vaccine ranged from 63-84%:
    "Over six months, 42 Optaflu recipients -- or 1.1 percent of the group -- reported flu-like symptoms and had a flu infection confirmed by objective testing. That figure was 1.3 percent in the conventional-vaccine group and 3.6 percent in the placebo group. Overall, the cell-based vaccine was 84 percent effective against the three flu strains included in the shot, versus the placebo; the conventional vaccine was 78 percent effective. When it came to all circulating flu strains for the season, both vaccines, predictably, were less effective: the cell-based shot was 69 percent effective, compared with the placebo, and the conventional vaccine 63 percent." http://www.healthnews.com/en/news/Newer-flu-vaccine-as-effective-as-traditional-one/1ZYA3fssX9iAU$vEwA50Sz/

So, I think I'm done here.
  • M3CH4N1C
    M3CH4N1C Posts: 157
    Options
    You seem pretty level headed:) Some people say" well I'm not a Doctor so I'll just do what the Doctor says." I feel as if that is apathetic and that education doesn't equate wisdom and truth. It's dangerous when people give up on thinking for themselves and trust a strangers words just because of a plaque on his/her wall. It creates a situation to where it becomes status quo to just do what somebody else says, in a world where corporate greed have their hands all over the world of medicine.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I am very close to my grandparents, so I get my flu shot every year. I've not had the flu in almost 10 years. My grandfather had influenza a couple of years ago that kept him hospitalized for almost 2 weeks. It kills a lot of elderly, children, and others whose immune systems aren't that strong.

Sure, if you're healthy, you can fight it off, but you can also end up being carrier and dump it off on someone who can't.
  • M3CH4N1C
    Options
    Go to healthnews.com with Mike Adams and search for "flu shots". You'll find plenty of counter research that suggests flu shots are harmful, unproven, and dangerous. In fact one study shows influenza shots were effective in 1.5 out of 100. Big pharma claims much higher than that at around 60%.
    I went to healthnews.com and searched for "flu shots" as you directed. All I found were articles on 1) the CDC urging people (particularly health care workers) to get flu shots, 2) a survey stating that most US doctors plan to get them, 3) research stating that flu shots are safe for pregnant women and that they provide benefits to the baby as well, 4) research showing a connection between flu shots and reduced risk of heart attack in the elderly, 5) research into a 'universal' flu shot that people would only have to get once instead of seasonally.

In fact, from your own recommended site, I also found a study that showed that the effectiveness of the flu vaccine ranged from 63-84%:
    "Over six months, 42 Optaflu recipients -- or 1.1 percent of the group -- reported flu-like symptoms and had a flu infection confirmed by objective testing. That figure was 1.3 percent in the conventional-vaccine group and 3.6 percent in the placebo group. Overall, the cell-based vaccine was 84 percent effective against the three flu strains included in the shot, versus the placebo; the conventional vaccine was 78 percent effective. When it came to all circulating flu strains for the season, both vaccines, predictably, were less effective: the cell-based shot was 69 percent effective, compared with the placebo, and the conventional vaccine 63 percent." http://www.healthnews.com/en/news/Newer-flu-vaccine-as-effective-as-traditional-one/1ZYA3fssX9iAU$vEwA50Sz/

Oh I meant naturalnews.com. Sorry.
  • mrsdauer
    mrsdauer Posts: 102
    Options
    do what YOU want to do. i dont think anyone is MAKING you do it...... after seeing my 12 year old son (who DID NOT get the flu shot) and my cousin also, both have the flu...i think i'd rather be immunized. the 5 day flu, uncontrollable diarrhea, high fever, vomitting, unable to keep fluid or food down....
    ya, i think the few seconds it takes to get a shot is much better...

i guess weigh out the pro and con of it, do what you believe is the right thing, and go with it. best of luck.

~hand washing often is the key!!!, flu shot or not!
  • M3CH4N1C
    Options
    How many people are harmed by influenza vaccines?

Much the same is true with vaccines. In this influenza vaccine study just published in The Lancet, it shows that you have to inject 100 adults to avoid influenza in just 1.5 adults. But what they don't tell you is the side effect rate in all 100 adults!

It's very likely that upon injecting 100 adults with vaccines containing chemical adjuvants (inflammatory chemicals used to make flu vaccines "work" better), you might get 7.5 cases of long-term neurological side effects such as dementia or Alzheimer's. This is an estimate, by the way, used here to illustrate the statistics involved.

So for every 100 adults you injected with this flu vaccine, you prevent the flu in 1.5 of them, but you cause a neurological disorder in 7.5 of them! This means you are 500% more likely to be harmed by the flu vaccine than helped by it. (A theoretical example only. This study did not contain statistics on the harm of vaccines.)

Much the same is true with mammograms, by the way, which harm 10 women for every 1 woman they actually help (http://www.naturalnews.com/020829.html).

Chemotherapy is also a similar story. Sure, chemotherapy may "shrink tumors" in 80% of those who receive it, but shrinking tumors does not prevent death. And in reality, chemotherapy eventually kills most of those who receive it. Many of those people who describe themselves as "cancer survivors" are, for the most part, actually "chemo survivors."

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/033998_influenza_vaccines_effectiveness.html#ixzz1di0h8FcQ
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    "This is an estimate, by the way, used here to illustrate the statistics involved."

"(A theoretical example only. This study did not contain statistics on the harm of vaccines.)"

I'm sorry, but I'll take my above quoted statistics on the drastically reduced death rates that are a direct result of vaccines, over 'estimates" and "theoretical examples".
  • agthorn
    Options

Sigh. Okay I'll bite one last time. I assume you're referencing http://www.naturalnews.com/033998_influenza_vaccines_effectiveness.html, which is referencing http://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(11)70295-X/fulltext.

Your article is trying to make something sensational about the distinction between ABSOLUTE and RELATIVE risk reduction, and conflating it with efficacy. There's nothing shocking here. Yes, the absolute risk reduction of the flu vaccine, for people who were actually exposed to influenza during the season they were vaccinated, is about 1.5 per 100. But the size of the pooled studies is sufficiently large that we can assume that roughly equal numbers were exposed to the virus in both groups (2.7%, based on the control group. That's the whole PURPOSE of the control group - to know what the prevalence is in the population, because it's fairly unethical to deliberately infect people with influenza). The relative risk reduction is therefore roughly 60% - meaning you have a 60% less chance of contracting the flu with the vaccine than without. The vaccine is 60% EFFECTIVE at preventing influenza (the Lancet article says 59%).

But risk is meaningless unless we look at both sides of the coin. For every million people we vaccinate, we will have 15,000 fewer cases of the flu and approximately 4 vaccine-induced injuries (allergic reaction, Guillain-Barré syndrome, and encephalomyelitis). For every 100 vaccine induced injuries, there will be approximately 6 deaths. So we would have to vaccinate 25M people to statistically have 100 vaccine-induced injuries and 6 deaths. But we will have prevented 375,000 cases of influenza and 375 influenza-related deaths (seasonal influenza has a mortality rate of 0.1%). The flu vaccine is therefore 63,000% safer than the flu.

I've provided actual numbers, instead of all of your made-up numbers.
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options

Sigh. Okay I'll bite one last time. I assume you're referencing http://www.naturalnews.com/033998_influenza_vaccines_effectiveness.html, which is referencing http://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(11)70295-X/fulltext.

Your article is trying to make something sensational about the distinction between ABSOLUTE and RELATIVE risk reduction, and conflating it with efficacy. There's nothing shocking here. Yes, the absolute risk reduction of the flu vaccine, for people who were actually exposed to influenza during the season they were vaccinated, is about 1.5 per 100. But the size of the pooled studies is sufficiently large that we can assume that roughly equal numbers were exposed to the virus in both groups (2.7%, based on the control group. That's the whole PURPOSE of the control group - to know what the prevalence is in the population, because it's fairly unethical to deliberately infect people with influenza). The relative risk reduction is therefore roughly 60% - meaning you have a 60% less chance of contracting the flu with the vaccine than without. The vaccine is 60% EFFECTIVE at preventing influenza (the Lancet article says 59%).

But risk is meaningless unless we look at both sides of the coin. For every million people we vaccinate, we will have 15,000 fewer cases of the flu and approximately 4 vaccine-induced injuries (allergic reaction, Guillain-Barré syndrome, and encephalomyelitis). For every 100 vaccine induced injuries, there will be approximately 6 deaths. So we would have to vaccinate 25M people to statistically have 100 vaccine-induced injuries and 6 deaths. But we will have prevented 375,000 cases of influenza and 375 influenza-related deaths (seasonal influenza has a mortality rate of 0.1%). The flu vaccine is therefore 63,000% safer than the flu.

Love this response, thank you for sharing in such a documented, proven way.
  • M3CH4N1C
    Options

All my made up numbers. Africans that are in the sun for up to 15 hrs. a day, 365 days a year. Those are the only numbers I've brought, besides quoting naturalnews.com. I haven't made anything up. Seems as though what you are judging me of, is only to condemn yourself.
  • CMKnutson
    Options
    As a high priority asthmatic, i have to get a flu shot every year. but there is a few alternatives to the traditional flu shot. A better known alternative is called FluMist. Research it, it is spelled without any spaces FluMist. It is a nasal spray it is usually in good supply even when there is a shortage of flu shots. There are some limitations such as you have to be a healthy person between the ages of 2 and 49. It can also be more expensive and some insurance companies don't pay for it. In other words you should talk to your doctor, there may be some more alternatives. Just look around, at the worst you get the shot that takes approx. 2minutes and leaves you arm sore for a day at most.
  • agthorn
    Options

All my made up numbers. Africans that are in the sun for up to 15 hrs. a day, 365 days a year. Those are the only numbers I've brought, besides quoting naturalnews.com. I haven't made anything up. Seems as though what you are judging me of, is only to condemn yourself.
    So for every 100 adults you injected with this flu vaccine, you prevent the flu in 1.5 of them, but you cause a neurological disorder in 7.5 of them! This means you are 500% more likely to be harmed by the flu vaccine than helped by it. (A theoretical example only. This study did not contain statistics on the harm of vaccines.)
    Made up numbers.
    African Americans have one of the highest rates of skin cancer in America
    Made up statistic.

Real statistics: Death rate from influenza = 0.1%. Death rate from influenza vaccine = 0.000024%.
  • hoppinglark
    hoppinglark Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've read that children are more likely to be hospitalized in later years than their peers who never had the shot. I've also read that people who have had five flu shots in ten years increase their risk of getting Alzheimers ten times.

Citation?
    Seem like I've read the exact oppisite..need to look that up.
    http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_disease_myths_about_alzheimers.asp
    Think about it. Vaccines became more common, swine flu emerged.

And when people ate more Ice Cream, more kids got polio, IT MUST HAVE been the cause!
    Swine Flu has been around for a long time, we've known about it, this last fear was about H1N1, the fear was that pigs in the pacific rim had become incubators and created a bird flu-swine flu- human flu chimera.
    One that we as people would have had no experience fighting and thus no herd immunity what so ever.
    There are antibiotics in the flu shot.

just enough to keep bugs from growing in transit.
    I doubt it would make a difference when such a small single dose is administered into your body.

On a side note I would just like to say the Mike Adams, Dr. Mercola and those like them tend to be sensationalist nut jobs.

I remember looking into Mike Adams $10,000.00 challenge, I figured that hey if I was going to compete for $10,000.00 I bet I could train for a year and out perform anyone, then I read up on the rules, the list of the 8 types of Pharmaceutical agents you'd have to be on , are not compatible and you're not supposed to be on an antibiotic for that long. So It's almost like he's an evil genius that knows that he can put out a $10,000.00 challenge and no one will have be able to take him up on it because no one would be allowed to take those 8 types of meds, at the same time for an entire year.
  • AmythistRae
    Options
    http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http://healthfreedoms.org/2011/10/14/big-study-vaccinated-kids-2-5-more-diseases-than-unvaccinated/&h=WAQFdWHXgAQGFdlK26MDmKyCKHLcgQCgq15k_E7CpBbaKtg

I have never believed in any type of Vaccination because our bodies are built if we take care of it properly to withstand and protect itself....I have never gotten a flu shot...
  • AmythistRae
    Options
    my good friend a nurse got her flu shots and two weeks ago got the flu from my granddaughter way worse than I did..
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Never mind :) I should probably read the whole thread before I chime in. Someone's already made my point... I think... I'm still reading.
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I get one every year and would get one even if my employer did not ask me to get one or provide the shot. However, you should be able to sign a declination statement and may have to watch a video if you do not want to get the flu shot. The flu shot is much easier to get than the flu, just my 2 cents. :flowerforyou:

Nope, won't work here. Our employer rewrote their policy ( It was handed to me by the director on paper) so it is now part of the policy that if you don't take the shot they have the right to terminate you- I'm not overdoing it at all. You will seriously lose your job. I was one of the last to get it and the reason I did was because my Director started emailing me because the records showed that I hadn't had it done.
    There is only one way out and that is with a statement from your doctor on letterhead dated signed stating that you should not take the shot due to allergies and so forth....Only problem for me was that my doctor is afilliated but for the most part no doctor is not going to tell you not to take it because they are mostly for it unless you do truely have an allergy to something in it.

you may be able to claim religious exemption?? whether or not you are religious, your employer can't prove or disprove that; and not allowing one to practice their religious beliefs is discrimination. maybe a church could sign a document for you???

::edit:: being forced to have anything injected into your body against your will is WACK. :sick: suffering the flu is pretty rotten, but chances are you won't get it next season... take your vitamin D and strengthen your immune system by eating right. What's your employer going to mandate next????? *shudder*

Yes, I am religious, can't say I lead the best life but I never even thought of this....Hmmmmm....I really should ask about this!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    How much do you pay for it over in the States? I should be eligible to get mine free on the NHS here, but I went to a private chemist this time (Sainsburys pharmacy, actually!) and it was about £7. Is it more over there?
  • M3CH4N1C
    Options

Real statistics: Death rate from influenza = 0.1%. Death rate from influenza vaccine = 0.000024%.

Real numbers from corrupt research maybe. Besides there is more to worry about than death with these vaccines. Hecks, if you only died then they wouldn't be half bad.