Burger King ... you are kidding me..

Options

Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I think the problem is that the fast food corporations ARE seeing families who eat this stuff ALL THE TIME. I remember as a kid working the drive-thru at an Arbys that we had "regular" customers. I agree that as a fun thing for the kids sometimes, it's not the end of the world. But we have obese, unhealthy families around here for whom that is an absolute staple of their diet. They tend to look down on people like me for "slaving away in the kitchen", but I wouldn't trade them.

If a family is obese fast food is not to blame...the family is
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I think the problem is that the fast food corporations ARE seeing families who eat this stuff ALL THE TIME. I remember as a kid working the drive-thru at an Arbys that we had "regular" customers. I agree that as a fun thing for the kids sometimes, it's not the end of the world. But we have obese, unhealthy families around here for whom that is an absolute staple of their diet. They tend to look down on people like me for "slaving away in the kitchen", but I wouldn't trade them.
    How is that the restaurant's fault that individuals choose to eat there frequently? What should they do? Track people's visits? Should the gov't limit how many times you can serve fast food to the same person?
  • chattymisty
    Options
    awsome job at weight loss what else u doing besides 1200 cal a day
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    I'd rather feed myself and my future family healthy food but maybe once a month I'd get them all a treat! :smile:

Of course, I'm not a fan of Burger King (and quite frankly I don't even know where the closest one is to my apartment). While I do agree fast food makes fat people, I think there are a lot reasons why people would buy into this deal or other fast food deals (Mcd's 20 piece nugget meal!) over home cooked meals. Maybe they suck at cooking or are ignorant. :laugh: We don't know these people personally after all.
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with eating fast food ONCE IN A WHILE...... but not as a regular part of your meal planning.

If 4 or 5 nights a week you are picking up fast food on the way home because you are "tired" to cook, its poor planning. Healthy Meals can be planned in advance if you really wanted to live a healthier lifestyle.

Pizza, burgers & fries on a Friday night, sure, why not.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Dinner last night was $1.37 each and incredible!

We had a delicious indulgent meal (620 cals, 12g fat - about 2x higher than our regular dinners, still <1400 gross for the day hence 800 net due to 1h of spinning) of meat ball sandwiches and BBQ'd broccoli and it cost $1.37 each, crazy cheap and soooooo yummy!

Large broccoli head: $0.67
    Presidents Choice Blue Menu (healthy)meatballs (1/6 of package, 6 each): $0.83
    Pasta sauce (1/4 can) ).25
    French baguette: $1.00
    2 tsp evoo, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp steak spice: $0 - a penny or 2
    = $2.75 or $1.37 EACH!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I think you're all forgetting the king of fast food here... The McRib is in season! Why get a whopper when you can get a tasty, juicy, tender McRib!?
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    I think you're all forgetting the king of fast food here... The McRib is in season! Why get a whopper when you can get a tasty, juicy, tender McRib!?
    Good point!

McRib.jpg
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    That's a good deal. I like to put onion rings in my whopper.
  • wildcata77
    Options

While I'd like to trust your stats and rocking bod, this comment makes me think you must be a little...off.

::blech::
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but if you think it's OK to feed your family BK whoppers once or twice a week, you are kidding yourself.

Their burgers are treated with AMMONIA.
    They have relatively frequent outbreaks of e.coli.
    They don't even use real beef!!

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/taco-buns-fast-food-meat-cook-home/story?id=12826571#.TsVK63FXRW4

Eating a fast food burger once a month in a pinch? No, it's not going to kill you. But you should seriously reevaluate your eating practice if you consider this crap an OK treat for your kids a couple times a week.

The sad fact is, fast food IS cheaper. People who really don't have money aren't buying the $10 meal...they're buying off the dollar menu, and they can get a double cheeseburger for as much as I pay for one of my yuppie greek yogurts or an eggplant. It's sad, but beef and corn are subsidized by the government, while broccoli and apples are not.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    You must buy chicken breasts w/ rib meat.... I don't and it is a lot more expensive. I pretty much stick to chicken breast tenderloins for $5/lb. But even w/ that, I am sure I could cook a healthy meal for my family of 6 for under $10 but the 4 kids won't eat it anyways

I think kids are picky cause you let them be...if you make ONE dinner and tell them eat or go hungry..eventually theyll learn...

I also think there some of us that used to be able to eat that "family meal" at BK by themselves....

No, my kids are not picky because I allow them to be. If they don't eat their dinner, they DO go without until breakfast.
  • wildcata77
    Options
    How is that the restaurant's fault that individuals choose to eat there frequently? What should they do? Track people's visits? Should the gov't limit how many times you can serve fast food to the same person?

Of course they should. Dontcha know, the government's JOB is to make sure every,single.person in America makes good choices. You think you can make better choices on your own? Psshhhh...try telling that to Michelle...
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST THAT BURGER KING IS NUTRITIONALLY VOID!!! They put lettuce on their whoppers!!!

(Interesting factoid.... I had to look up how to spell lettuce.)
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I eat BK when I'm in a rush and away from home. But I see what you are saying. I don't think it hurts to have it every so often, just don't super size the stuff (or BK's equivalent).
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    Homemade food is so much better even if it is a burger. At least you know what's in it!
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but if you think it's OK to feed your family BK whoppers once or twice a week, you are kidding yourself.

Their burgers are treated with AMMONIA.
    They have relatively frequent outbreaks of e.coli.
    They don't even use real beef!!

Luckily for me, I live in Europe, where regulations on all meat are much stricter. No steroid cows, no chemicals, if they say it's 100% *insert meat* it will be said meat. Sure, i might be cow eyeballs and testicles and very little "real" meat but it all comes from an animal, and tastes omnom
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    The sad fact is, fast food IS cheaper. People who really don't have money aren't buying the $10 meal...they're buying off the dollar menu, and they can get a double cheeseburger for as much as I pay for one of my yuppie greek yogurts or an eggplant.

I beg to differ.

Check out the great points made in this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/25/opinion/sunday/is-junk-food-really-cheaper.html?pagewanted=2&_r=3&ref=opinion

Folks don't have to choose yuppie yogurts or eggplant. They can use their $10 to buy chicken and veggies. It may not be glamorous, or as tasty to some, but it is cheaper to buy and prepare healthy food at home than to buy fast food.
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    Options
    I'd rather feed myself and my future family healthy food but maybe once a month I'd get them all a treat! :smile:

Of course, I'm not a fan of Burger King (and quite frankly I don't even know where the closest one is to my apartment). While I do agree fast food makes fat people, I think there are a lot reasons why people would buy into this deal or other fast food deals (Mcd's 20 piece nugget meal!) over home cooked meals. Maybe they suck at cooking or are ignorant. :laugh: We don't know these people personally after all.

^^ this! And some people are just lucky .... my bf's sister thinks that she sucks at cooking *she does... lol but she won't try and practice and learn!* so her and her SO eat fast food constantly! They seriously live off of fast food and mountain dew and they're skinny..... tho props to her she does feed her almost 2 year old better food that she feeds her and her SO
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Luckily for me, I live in Europe, where regulations on all meat are much stricter. No steroid cows, no chemicals, if they say it's 100% *insert meat* it will be said meat. Sure, i might be cow eyeballs and testicles and very little "real" meat but it all comes from an animal, and tastes omnom
    Cows in Europe talk funny.