Drop fat and gain muscle!!! Newbies Read this.

Options

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    OP-

Doing recomps isn't as cut and dry as you think it is. It's not only very difficult, but it doesn't yield results as good as doing bulk/cut cycles like Acg said.

Also cardio is non-essential, whether its cutting, recomping, and/or bulking.
  • becknorton68
    Options
    Thank you for the great tips. My question to you if you can answer it is: I weight 288 pounds right now (I know, pretty bad) and I want to lose weight, gain muscle, strength and become more flexible.
    Would the ratio that you mentioned in your original post work for me also? I am female, 6'0 and 43 years old. I also just bought the KettleWorx program so I am excited about using it in a few days when it arrives.

Thank you for any adivce you can give to me.
  • mjs1940
    Options
    Helpful reading I am learning all about fats.Thanks.mjs1940
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Your view of saturated fat is one of minimal information and parroting dogma. cupcakes are loaded with flour and sugar....look their for the reason blood sugar and flow gets restricted. Saturated fats actually have short and medium chain triglyceries that are used as immediate energy and are not stored like mono's and poly's........plus 1 longer chain saturated fat called stearic acid.

Your advice is very basic, while sounding complicated....... many variations work. The basic advice of getting enough protein while taxing muscle will always preserve lbm with sufficiant calories, what those carories are will be based on the individual and there is no 1 formula for that....personally i don't build muslce until I'm consuming 3500 calories and lifting real heavy with mostly compound lifts with a maximum of 5 reps, anything else, I'm overthinking it.
  • Caz2678
    Options
    My logical mind does tend to agree with this :) I know it would work for me if i put in 3 good weight training sessions per week along with the walks that i do.

After reading a book about the female fat cell, it does make a lot of sense. Also eating the right type of carbs can help a lot too and eating natural foods. Also having read a lot of publications by Paul Chek and Tom Venuto which give similar advice.

My problem is that after having a baby my hormones are still all over the place and with the sleep deprivation my motivation levels have up and left! Although i'm thinking about seeing a personal trainer to overcome that!!!

Good post tho :D
  • GoodIntentions
    Options
    Sorry, I'm going to be the devil's advocate on this one...:devil:

Some of that is great info....but isn't your advice "cookie cutter" as well? Obviously, everyone is different....gender, age, health history, current weight, are all factors to be considered when trying to achieve health and fitness goals.

I agree with the protein and monosaturated fat intake in your post, but disagree with the carbs...keeping my carbs under 75 a day (20-25%) provides me the best results....and everyones calorie needs are going to be different as well...age, gender, and body build are going to play a big part in that. Somebody with very little fat can consume many more calories to keep them fueled and lean, than somebody with a higher body fat percentage.

Don't want to be rude, but just giving my 2 cents :smile:
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Can you post any evidence that supports this view, or at least some credentials that prove you know what you're talking about and not just saying what works for you?

You don't want MFP to be a cookie cutter program, but you're giving every person a cookie cutter suggestion.

Hey great point!
    Its not a cookie cutter program.
    I always suggest to friends who are trying this and stall out after a few weeks to tweak the numbers!
    Its what I do.
    Its what everyone should do!
    Your body adapts to weight loss and stalls every once and a while.
    We need to continue to trick it so we can get to our goal.
    Am I right?
    There are a number of articles and information on feeding muscle while burning fat.
    There is a book by Tom Vanuto about it!
    This stuff works and we dont have to starve to loose weight.
    Thats all.

BTW I'm a manager of a retail store in Baltimore who just cares too much.
    =D
    But...this worked for my stubborn 37 year old body.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    My BMR is 1722.
    MFP tells me to eat 1270.

My carbs are 50%, fat 25% and protein 25%.....

By putting my calorie range to what you said 1800-1900 I think I would gain weight since my BMR is 1722......??? HELP.

BMR means doing absolutely nothing.
    In bed.
    All day.
    Its the rock bottom number you shouldnt go below.
    Like running a race with a plastic bag over your head.
    Stop starving!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Can you post any evidence that supports this view, or at least some credentials that prove you know what you're talking about and not just saying what works for you?

You don't want MFP to be a cookie cutter program, but you're giving every person a cookie cutter suggestion.

Hey great point!
    I always suggest to friends who are trying this and stall out after a few weeks to tweak the numbers!
    Its what I do.
    Am I right?
    There are a number of articles and information on feeding muscle while burning fat.
    Thats all.

=D

Alright, there's nothing wrong with sharing what works for you. It's just irresponsible to word it like you did. You make it sound like you've got all the answers. When you post advice like this, make sure to mention that it's just your opinion and a suggestion so unsuspecting people don't take it as gospel. Remember everyone is different.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I was thinking this same thing ^^. The amount of calories to eat in a day for example could vary quite a bit based on sex, current weight and fitness level, height, etc. What ratio of carbs/fat/protein you need could also vary based on several factors.

There really is no single approach to weight loss that works for everyone.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    1800 - 2000 calories will only work for some people. For me..that would be an epic failure.

I think what the OP is trying to say is, hit your macro's and don't starve yourself thinking that the less you eat the quicker you'll start losing fat.

Use one of many calculators out there to determine your TDEE. Once you get that figured out, subtract 10 - 20% and follow these starting / simple guidelines.

.8-1g protein for every lb of body weight
    .35 - .4g fat for every lb of body welght
    Fill the rest in with carbs.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

Hey great point!
    Its what I do.
    Am I right?
    Thats all.

=D

Alright, there's nothing wrong with sharing what works for you. It's just irresponsible to word it like you did. You make it sound like you've got all the answers. When you post advice like this, make sure to mention that it's just your opinion and a suggestion so unsuspecting people don't take it as gospel. Remember everyone is different.

I forgot to mention i'm a LEO.
    =D
  • rainbowbuggy
    Options
    Someone suggested th 40/30/30 to me as she is doing it and it has worked very well for her however if I ate 1800-2000 calories a day....no way I would lose weight.

I love this post as it makes alot of sense and its helpful information so thank you for posting it.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention i'm a LEO.
    =D

Good for you?
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I'm a lumberjack.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I'm a lumberjack.

You got the beard for it, mostly. =)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest setting MFP at a half pound a week in order to maintain muscle while losing weight. 1800-2000 doesn't work for all people especially small women.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I'm an Aquarius and a dog person.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest setting MFP at a half pound a week in order to maintain muscle while losing weight. 1800-2000 doesn't work for all people especially small women.

^^This is me.....1/2 pound per week deficit, 40/30/30. I'm also reading Tom Vanuto's book. Interesting thread....
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

That's what I have just done. Hopefully, it will get me moving again.