Burger King ... you are kidding me..

Options

Replies

• Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I actually know people who will think this is good, and will buy it. Those people also eat fast food / eat out almost every meal every day. eww. can't be good.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options

I just assume that most of the people that creep through the forums looking for food posts so they can interject about chemicals and poisons are just trolls looking to cause a stir. Anyone that cares can do a little research on their own can disprove the vast majority of that nonsense in a short amount of time. It just doesn't do any good to post about it here because people are drawn to what is shocking more often than the boring truth that, other than being overly high in calories and sodium, there's nothing wrong with most fast food.

Well, here's a list of ingredients in a Big Mac bun and sauce. This doesn't even include the beef patties or cheese.

Bun:
    - Enriched flour (bleached wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid, enzymes)
    -- water
    -- high fructose corn syrup
    -- sugar
    -- soybean oil and/or partially hydrogenated soybean oil

The bun also contains 2% or less of the following:
    -- salt
    -- calcium sulfate
    -- calcium carbonate
    -- wheat gluten
    -- ammonium sulfate
    -- ammonium chloride
    -- sodium stearoyl lactylate *
    -- datem *
    -- ascorbic acid*
    -- azodicarbonamide*
    -- mono- and diglycerides*
    -- ethoxylated monoglycerides*
    -- monocalcium phosphate*
    -- enzymes*
    -- guar gum*
    -- calcium peroxide*
    -- soy flour*
    -- calcium propionate (preservative)
    -- sodium propionate (preservative)
    -- soy lecithin
    -- sesame seed.

* indicates: dough conditioner

Big Mac® Sauce:
    -- Soybean oil
    -- pickle relish (which is made of:)
    -- diced pickles
    -- sugar
    -- vinegar
    -- corn syrup
    -- salt
    -- calcium chloride
    -- xanthan gum
    -- potassium sorbate (preservative)
    -- spice extractives
    -- polysorbate 80
    -- distilled vinegar
    -- water
    -- egg yolks
    -- onion powder
    -- mustard seed
    -- salt
    -- spices
    -- propylene glycol alginate
    -- sodium benzoate (preservative)
    -- mustard bran
    -- sugar
    -- garlic powder
    -- vegetable protein (hydrolyzed corn, soy and wheat) – fancy name for MSG
    -- caramel color
    -- extractives of paprika
    -- soy lecithin
    -- turmeric (color)
    -- calcium disodium EDTA (protect flavor).

A little high in sodium and calories? Yeah, that would be the least of my worries. Trans fats, MSG, bleach... Yum.

What is with the high horse comments and trolling? Really?

If people want to eat fast food, fine. In my INITIAL post I said, In MY personal opinion...
    Why is fast food so damn acceptable and trying to eat more natural and organic is weird? NOT wanting a ton of chemicals and GMO's in my food is weird?
    I don't tell people how to eat, however I would think on a DIETING and fitness site, there would be more acknowledgement that fast food is not good for you. And more acceptance of more natural food and organic food. People look at me like I'm weird? No, I think I've finally had the veil raised and can see things clearly.

I do NOT for one second think I'm better because I won't eat fast food, I won't eat non organic meat and I'm adding MORE and MORE food to that list. I was getting sick all the time. Before I even started losing weight and working out I had to start cutting food out of my diet b/c it was making me sick! I love being doubled over in pain because of something I ate and not knowing exactly what caused it. More and more americans have food allergies and it has to at least make you question if it has something to do with what they are putting in our food. Since cutting out fast food, since switching to more organic food, since trying to eat more foods where, oh I dunno I can actually pronounce all the ingredients in them, I have felt better. My hair looks better, my skin is better, I haven't gotten sick like I use to.
    Choosing to not eat fast food goes far beyond calories or my weight. It has a lot more to do with my over all health.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I don't get sick eating fast food. But I get fat if I eat too much of it.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    I totally agree, Anna. I don't understand being called a troll for having a negative opinion of fast food.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I totally agree, Anna. I don't understand being called a troll for having a negative opinion of fast food.

I don't know. Something about telling everyone that eating fast food will essentially turn you into one of the "walking dead" then stating go ahead and eat it if you want to. IMHO anyway. After the 4-5th rant, you sort of get the feeling that she somehow against eating fast food.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If someone is doubled over in pain from eating fast food the problem is with that person's sensitive digestive system, not with the food. I mean I don't know anyone who shares this problem so I imagine it's a tiny percentage of the population.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You are paying for convenience, not nutrition.
  • wildcata77
    Options
    What is with the high horse comments and trolling? Really?

If people want to eat fast food, fine. In my INITIAL post I said, In MY personal opinion...
    Why is fast food so damn acceptable and trying to eat more natural and organic is weird? NOT wanting a ton of chemicals and GMO's in my food is weird?
    I don't tell people how to eat, however I would think on a DIETING and fitness site, there would be more acknowledgement that fast food is not good for you. And more acceptance of more natural food and organic food. People look at me like I'm weird? No, I think I've finally had the veil raised and can see things clearly.

Hi there, remember me, way back from page 4? We had this exchange:
    I like your post alot...haven't heard that commercial and would roll my eyes in disgust if I did

and I'm going to offend some people...but IMO fast food should NEVER be viewed as a treat
    I think if you're going to eat that you might as well drink diluted bleach...the chemicals that are added to that "food" is revolting

I like your horse...it's very tall and also shiny.

::waving from below where the commoners stand::

So, based on your wordage in your ORIGINAL post there, I'm not seeing where you said it was only your opinion about yourself. It seems pretty clear to me that you think all of us might as well be drinking bleach.

I can't take credit for what other people responded to you (and I also never called you a troll, I know what trolls are), and I do agree that on a diet board no one should be extolling fast food as a healthy option, but I havem't seen anyone running around in this thread congratulating each other on that healthy burger they ate last night. There are simply some of us who have the opinion that fast food can be a treat occasionally and still fit in to our weight loss plans.
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    HA! I keep hearing this commercial and laughing my *kitten* off too...... because they make it sound like this is a GOOD option... not. LOLOL!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options

You don't like like a troll to me!:flowerforyou:
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    A recent study shows that unhealthy food is cheaper, in the sense that you get more calories for less money. Which doesn't mean it's healthy or giving your body what it needs.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/04/us-food-costs-idUSTRE7734L620110804
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't consider BK or McD's a "treat". If I want to get my daughter a treat, I buy her a cute toy she wants, or once in awhile grab some homemade fudge. All set with genetically engineered "meat."
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options

Yeah, let's barbecue our dogs while we're at it...

:(
    Asians would if it weren't illegal. We can do it to cows, pigs, chickens, and fish legally though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    I guess after eating fast food on a consistent basis, I'll be accused of my physique being "chemically enhanced".

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • branflake5
    Options
    I'd like to know where you all are shopping that you can feed a family of 6 for under 10$ and a 5 course meal at that????

I can feed my family of 6 spaghetti for under 10$ I saw one person said a large head of brocolli cost 67 cents!!! Insanity at least 3$ where I live. And chicken A pack of chicken breasts alone for about 4 boneless skinless breasts is over 10$.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options

Yeah, let's barbecue our dogs while we're at it...

:(
    Asians would if it weren't illegal. We can do it to cows, pigs, chickens, and fish legally though.

I would never! :laugh:
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I've eaten horse. It was pretty good.
  • narenn
    narenn Posts: 73
    Options
    It's to appeal to those who seek a cheap and easy meal to throw together. Unfortunately for most people, it's a tactic that works!
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    It is a good deal fast food wise, but not the healthiest option. We use to buy $1 McDoubles at McDonalds and I was thinking the other day (I am such a bargain shopper!) and its convenience I guess I was going for. I just went shopping and bought 2 weeks worth of food for $30....... But as someone else said, its ok for a treat every once in awhile. :)