Where were you exactly 1yr ago in your journey? I was..

Options

Replies

• shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    This time last year I hadn't started my weight loss journey as such but wasn't eating well. I was constantly exhausted and a small trip out would take me at least 2 days to recover from. I was around 12st 7 then (I'm only 5ft 3 and half)

I have a rare neurological condition and thought it was progressing again, I got exhausted just sitting at computer typing and a shopping trip wiped me out for a week even though I had to pushed most of the way around. I started proceedings to get an electric wheelchair from NHS.. things weren't looking good. :cry:

This year I started again trying to lose weight after going out for birthday (42 beginning of june) and been exhausted from having to take a few steps into pub and just sitting there for a few hours. I started calorie counting and trying to exercise I lost 9lbs in first 4 months it was slow and frustrating. I started taking Capsiplex to help give me energy to exercise for longer so I could burn more off and also bought a passive trainer bike (motor pedals legs for me as I don't have the co-ordination) for first time I could go on it an hour and burn like 600 cals a day and managing more vigorous exercise on wii like tennis and boxing games and more wii fit exercises.

I cut carbs after reading about a link between Hypothyroidism and wheat and difficulty losing so reduced carbs but allow gluten free bread 1-2 timesa week, potatoes once a week, no rice or pasta or other grains. (allowed gluten free rice krispies for cereal and oats/oat based biscuits) and lost another 16lbs in the last few months which I'm thrilled with, now finally in the 10 stone range for first time in years.. my goal weight now is around 9 and half stone like I used to be.

My tummy is alot smaller, I have more energy and now off the capsiplex and can still exercise for an hour myself without needing them for energy anymore but they did help me have energy to exercise for long enough to build up some strength. I haven't put any weight back on since coming off them as I can still exercise. It possible they helped kick start my system along with going mainly carb free.

As my weight is dropping so well I am slowly re-introducing more frequent treats looking forward to a KFC and McFlurry on Tuesday for first time in over a year! .. then my next treat day planned is xmas day. ... though this week I had 2 gluten free choc brownies (to satisfy my monthly cravings) and I've still lost 3lb and only put 1 lb back on when they started (previously would put about 6lbs on this week)

My co-ordination skills, balance, core muscle strength (for standing and sitting) have all improved. I can sit in manual chair long enough to go out without it leaving me exhausted and manage crutches better for transfers betweens cars/chairs/into family/friends houses etc... so I'm much happier now! :happy:
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    Shakybabe--You have made some major improvements in a years time. Sounds like it has vastly improved your life. Congratulations! All of your hard work is paying off.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Thank you, its been a long journey! I will know how much things have improved for sure fitness wise after my shopping trip, last year my friend had to push me most of way.. this year I'm hoping to do it myself the entire time and hoping recovery time will be alot quicker. I'll let you know how it goes! :wink:
  • healthchick
    healthchick Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I was Fat, Fair, and Forty. I weighed 22kgs (around 50lb) more than I do now. My life completely changed in April 2011
  • Genkaku
    Options
    A year ago today I went to buffet's pretty regularly (Crab Rangoons ALMOST killed me, I'm sure, they're so good). Didn't diet at all. However in may I picked up the the MFP app on a droid phone I got and started dieting. Since then I've lost over 100 pounds. I'm hoping to get to my goal weight of 220 by my birthday (late june), which is about another 60 pounds. I've decided if I can reach that goal, I'll treat myself with a trip to cedar point :). (Which is an amusement park on Ohio, if anyone here doesn't know that).
  • jennor8or
    jennor8or Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    A year ago I was looking forward to all the cake i'd eat on my little boys birthday as well as the yummy Thanksgiving dinner I was going to have... I was probably looking in the mirror thinking "this year I'm really gonna step it up after the holidays"... I was about 25-30 lbs heavier than I am now... needless to say, I was still busy promising myself I'd start tomorrow---
  • kimberly0416
    kimberly0416 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    A year ago I was about 170lbs and almost a size 14, was very unhappy about how I looked but used it as an excuse.
    Woke up one day and decided I was totally disgusted with how I looked and changed my diet completely and started working out.

Now I am still working out, eating my work out calories and down to a size 6 and almost to a size 28 inch waist.

I am rather small framed and at my optimal weight I am 115 with pure muscle and size 0, I know it seems small but remember I am small framed. I am not trying to get to that point at all.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    A year ago today, I was busting *kitten* in the gym and wondering why I wasn't losing. I also struggled to make it to the gym, but once I was there, I worked until I was red in the face.

I haven't lost much this year, but I feel a lot better, and that's important too.
  • Majunta
    Majunta Posts: 575
    Options
    A year ago (Oct) I had started to exercise but had not changed my way of eating until March 2011. I couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel. The weight was coming off very slowly and I hated exercising. While I'm still not an exerciser, I finally saw the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm 3.5 lbs away from my half way point.
  • maddmaddie
    maddmaddie Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    A year ago I weighed 175 lbs, I worked out like crazy but didn't pay any attention to my diet and so I finally drifted off from my exercise routine because I wasn't seeing any progress. I got discouraged, plus I was super busy with school.

Today I weigh 155 lbs (20 pounds lighter!), and I'm watching what I eat and exercising 30-60 minutes a day (plus weight lifting 3 times a week). It really is 80% diet/20% exercise. My goal is to get down to 140 lbs, and I'm slowly inching closer and closer to my goal! I'm excited to actually see progress this attempt. I can't wait until I hit my goal weight.
  • obolton755
    Options
    1 year ago...

emm.. probably just home from being at McDonalds drive thru... after eating a double cheeseburger and chips... this was probably just before baking cookies and eating them... all lol.

lets not forget... i was also insecure.. around 30lbs heavier, hiding under baggy long tops... :( and not feeling the least bit attractive, therefore not actually making the effort with make up/hair..

you have no idea how sad it makes me feel to think i was actually like this......
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I am enjoying reading all of your guys' stories so so much. You all are amazing and incredible and beautiful. Congrats on all of your success'. You are all truly inspiring :)
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I started MFP in January, so you get a good idea of where I was a year ago.

Specifically, the wife and I had agree that, after the holidays, we'd both refocus and try to get the weight off. For me, I had always been overweight. 275-ish was a low point since junior year in highschool. For her, it was wanting to get the baby weight off (our second child was born in October of last year).

I'm not sure where I would be now if I hadn't found MFP and really gotten refocused on running, so, for that, I am thankful. This week is going to be hard, spending it with family in a "not going to go crazy, but won't be super strict either," attitude. Ate too much yesterday, a little too much at dinner tonite. We'll see how it goes...
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Last year at this time I had just signed up for my MFP account looking for change due to being unhappy with my 240 lb body, I knew that if I got to 250 then more than likely I would reach 300, so I knew it was time to change before I got worse, however I didnt really get serious about my journey and logging onto MFP on a regular basis until January 2011, at that point I was truly ready and my new years resolution for 2011 was not just a empty promise like it had been many times before that
  • CampbellHendry
    CampbellHendry Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I would've been just home from my Sunday McDonald's, hungover as hell and looking forward to a Chinese for dinner. I was about 216 lbs but I was happy. Had good friends, enjoying school, great girlfriend.

Things ain't always so bad being heavy. I have no sob story. But I'm much happier being 40 lbs lighter and will be EVEN happier at Christmas when I've reached my goal.

Let's do this thing people ;)
  • janiecorona
    Options
    Exactly a year ago, I was 3 days away from giving birth to my first child! A daughter(: I also weighed 273 lbs the day she was born and today, my baby is about to turn 1 and I weigh 190 lbs.((: Good progress.
  • Kylea51
    Options
    a year ago today-- learning to walk and theropy for a broken knee-- second time for this knee. Feeling very sorry for myself and my family giving me anything i wanted and more! And after EVERY theropy session, my dh would get me some M&Ms with peanuts, a pound of them that i would just eat till they were gone. My comfort food cept for popcorn, popcorn comes first. Im surprised i only gained 15 lbs!
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I was sitting on the couch under the delusion that my age was why I kept putting on more and more weight every year.
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    ~ 20 lbs heavier and under the illusion that Combos were healthy because the bag wasn't that big. At 900 Calories!

I sometimes at 2 a day.

Unhappy, couldn't stand pictures of myself.
  • ja4bs
    ja4bs Posts: 30
    Options
    A year ago today I was about 20 pounds heavier and smoked almost a pack of cigarettes a day. I couldn't walk very far without being embarrassed because I could hear my self huffing and puffing.

I didn't begin my journey until Feb 15, 2011. That is the morning I smoked my very last cigarette. I'm glad for this topic because, even though most of the time I am convinced I am moving at a snails pace, it's nice to be able to say that I am a non smoker and can actually walk for miles without becoming tired or extremely winded. I HAVE been making progress!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!