Best Advice Ever!

Options

Replies

• chic_mama_25
    Options
    Don't allow yourself any cheat days, exercise every single day, if you have to have cake or wine at a dinner or something just have a very small piece (like 1 bite's worth) or half a glass and savour it.

I find cakes and sweets very difficult to eat in moderation so I try to avoid them completely. Once I have a bit, I'm more likely to fall off the wagon completely for the rest of the week/month!
  • aNEWmarcus
    Options
    BABY STEPS!!!

I used to plan how I'd be by the time I reached my goals, what I needed to do, what I needed to quit (smoking, junk food, etc etc) and so many different things - I'd then get overwhelmed and stop before I'd started.

So now I take baby steps.. One day at a time, I've set myself mini goals to achieve each week and if I don't suceed or maybe close, I still pat myself on the back and aim for a bit more next week. Making small changes as you go along is better for a complete lifestyle change versus a complete upheaval to everything you've been used to..
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    My best advice would be to not stress too much over food. So what if you have a bad day here and there? It happens. However, one bad day isn't a reason to go into a weeks/months/years long tailspin. Get back on track the next day. As long as the majority of your days are good days then it's okay. If it's your birthday, anniversary, or weekend out of town, etc. enjoy it. A day or two didn't make you overweight and a day or two won't ruin you healthy efforts either. What's the point in getting healthy if all you do is set around miserable worrying about food? Enjoy life and the occasional indulgence.
  • michaeltoye
    Options
    I didn't do any exercise. i just tracked every calorie and kept my cholesterol low - which is bad news for cookies, cake and meat!

best tip. always have a snack to look forward to. I always have 200 calories of dark chocolate at the end of the day when i sit down to watch some tv.
  • pinksh0es
    Options
    the best advice ive been given is that you dont have to wait til tomorrow to "restart" if you slip up. Dont ruin a whole days diet because of one mistake. Mistakes are fine, but ruining a whole day/week because of them isnt!!
  • cleaneater80
    cleaneater80 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Bump - Love the comments
  • andy_gilfrin
    Options
    For me the best advice I can give is that you really need to get your head around the fact that there is no quick fix. You need to be in it for the long haul, it will take 6 months to a year to get where you want to be. That obviously depends how far you need to go but if you are very large like I was the weight will come off quickly to begin with.

Don't even attempt to start until you are prepared for the long journey ahead, you will get there it just takes a very long time.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    There is no one magic thing that works. You have to change the way you do things every six weeks otherwise you get bored and your body gets used to whatever it is you are doing. So have a variety of exercises, not just the gym, and I think also vary your calorie levels.
  • MaddameKat
    MaddameKat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Why give up today when you have come so far.

Challenge yourself evey day

If you feel like ducking out of a workout , go do it anyway and work harder

You will never regret working out.

Stop trying to me someone else, be a better version of you.
  • justle
    justle Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    oh god thats a hard one, i'm a bit rubbish at giving advice so i'll just go ahead and quote somethings i read that help me.....

"you cant get much done in life if you only work on the days you feel good"

when your mind asks "can i really do this?" reply out loud with "ABSOLUTELY"
  • dgarblik
    dgarblik Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ldennett
    ldennett Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You are going to have bad days. You are going to cheat once in awhile. IT IS OK! Get back on the wagon the next day and move on. It took you years to put all the weight on, so it ain't gonna come off in a week! ;)

I think this is really true. The difference between this time for me and other times is that I have been able to accept this and get back on track.
    Also, You have to find a way to do this and still enjoy your life. If it is too extreme you are not going to stick with it.
  • ldennett
    ldennett Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Oh I thought of something else. Find some reliable friends to exercise with. It makes it so much easier to stick to it.
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Focus on how far you have gotten, not how far you have to go.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Do it cause you want too, not because you have to.

(noone really likes being told what to do, so took a different attitude toward it!)
  • k8es
    k8es Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Find your motivation!

A year from now you will wish you had started today" -- Karen Lamb
  • soniams
    soniams Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    This is truly a lifestyle change. The approach I have taken is that anything I am doing to lose weight is what I will keep doing to maintain the loss. The foods I now eat, the exercise I now do are what I am willing to do forever. This keeps me motivated and happy with the choices I am making now.
  • belinda_b
    belinda_b Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Be consistent. If you "mess up" just keep going. And keep moving.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Eat nutritious, well-balanced meals and snacks in sensible portions.
    Drink lots of water.
    Move your body.

EVERY CHOICE YOU MAKE ABOUT WHAT YOU WILL PUT IN YOUR BODY AND HOW YOU WILL MOVE YOUR BODY WILL EITHER PUT YOU ONE STEP CLOSER TO GOOD HEALTH OR ONE STEP FURTHER AWAY.

Specific exercise advice for those who have been sedentary - find something that you actually like doing and just do that until you have built the habit of exercising (because you are less likely to skip it if you actually like it) whether or not it provides the best calorie burn. Then, once you are in the habit of being active, try new exercises - not only will you work different muscles in different ways, but you also may discover new things you like doing!
  • trailblazer888
    trailblazer888 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Food is fuel for your body , which is a fine tuned machine. Food is NOT a therapist!