WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2011

Options
d.gife.gifc.gife.gifm.gifb.gife.gifr.gif

:flowerforyou: This is a thread for women who are looking to change their lives through weight loss and new habits and attitudes. The title says “Women Ages 50+” but all women are welcome.

:flowerforyou: We have started a new thread on the first of the month every month since I started here in February 2009 and each month we have reflected on our goals from last month and set new goals for the new month. Some of us set weight loss goals and others set goals for new behaviors and attitudes.

:flowerforyou: How did you do with your goals for November? What goals have you set for December?

:flowerforyou: We are in a new month that for some of us is filled with many speed bumps of food and drink that may inspire or discourage our healthy eating and exercise. I hope we can all find a way to make the changes we desire.

:flowerforyou: It’s a new page on the calendar and a new opportunity to change your life………let’s go.

1931198p43maccgbb.gif

Replies

• bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I started Curves in September and in November I joined the Biggest Loser Challenge at Curves. I am trying to change my eating habits and incorporate more healthy things in my lifestyle especially in what I eat. I am finally seeing the scales go down.

Congratulations on all you have lost so far!!!!!!! You are an inspiration to us. Love the profile picture......I love animals.

Hugs
    Bev
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    X marks my spot for later. Happy December my friends.

Love
    Amanda x
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi I'm back

:flowerforyou: Sorry I deserted you all for a few weeks, but I was always late for work after logging on :embarassed: so thought I 'd better leave it for a while.

:flowerforyou: December a new month and a new start for me (again!!) I have new determination to do well this month :bigsmile: I seem to have been a bit lost the last few months, not sure why, but my life in general was out of kilter, I coulnd't get motivated about anything.

:flowerforyou: Greetings to Jeannie, DoobieDoo, Joyce, Kackie, Kathie, Lisa, Mary msh, Mary SMVQ, Pam, Sally and everyone else! Chiclet it was good to hear from you awhile back. Post again soon and bring us up to date. Jackie, Viv, where are you?

I'm here - thanks for the mention - I wasn't sure anyone would notice I was gone :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: December will be a challenge for many of us. I will be going to 2 Christmas Party's the first one on 12th then another on 16th - I had to refuse a third invitation, it's too expensive and the thought of going on another night out was too much.

:flowerforyou: Not sure if it will help, but since my son has the same problem - sharing himself between us and in laws, is to take it in turns, they come here one year and go to DILs parents the next year. Mind you it's probably easier for us because we live in the same city, so see lots of them anyway.

Must dash I was only going to mark my spot ready to post later :embarassed: once I get chatting ...........

Take care everyone

Viv xx
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Happy December!

Thanks for starting us off in such fine style, Barblie!

Viv: So good to see your smiling face again. Of course you are missed when away!

I did well the first 3 weeks of November, but the past week with such a full house, I was less than perfect. Yesterday was a good day and I intend to make this month a good one too. It WILL be a challenge as we have lots of friends and family coming but I am determined to do a better job when things are busy. I just have to stay diligent and pay attention instead of going "mindless" about my choices.

Here's to a healthy December:drinker: Kackie
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,
    First let me apologize for my absence for such a long time. I really do not even know the last time I logged in. It has been a whirlwind of activities for me and I have just not logged at all. I am doing okay. Up a few pounds but trying to stay with the program. Kenneth and I started a new gym a month ago. KOKO Fit. We love it but have been absent from there for a few weeks. Plan to get back there soon also. My whirlwind started in October with Heather and the kids and I going to Disney for 6 days, then 2 weeks later Kenneth and Byron and I spent a week in Oklahoma. We were there a week before the earthquake. I would have freaked out if it happened when there. Then week of Thanksgiving we went on our first cruise to Cozumel and Progresso for 5 days. Now we are trying to get ready for Christmas. Oh I forgot most important. Beth had hysterectomy week before Thanksgiving. I have not even tried to read the posts. May have time to skim later. If any really big things have happened please share with me. Again I apologize for my absence. Hope to log on faithfully now. Have a good day ladies. Talk to you soon.
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    good morning lovely ladies,

thanks for the new thread barbie....

well i am in a FUNK...this time of the year is very difficult for me, i get sad, lonely, that feel sorry for me feeling....i am starting to get the life less(no engery)or really the no desire sensation.....i have been making myself workout but its not helping, im just not feeling it and im doing so much less than usual...needless to say my eating is off the charts, though not by much, but its not the healthy choices(i am logging EVEYTHING)though....thank you all for letting me vent, and cry....i will get up and go the gym and do something

thanks girls, i hope you all have a great day big hug:flowerforyou:
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    :explode: If like me, you couldn't find your signature to update with December goals...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/signature
    does NOT work and our signatures have all disappeared! :explode: :angry: :mad: :angry: :explode: :grumble: :mad: :grumble: :explode:
    :laugh: Rita, slides, barrel rolls, spinning discs. moving floors, even a few surprise trap doors, lifestyle changes are a real Fun House!
    :smooched: Barbie Thanks for the thread as always! Still wakling those luckypups daily despite the weather?
    :flowerforyou: Welcome Bev, lot of animal lovers here on the most positive supportive forum ever! How do you like Curves?
    :laugh: Viv, right there with you. Chatting here ALWAYS makes me late to work... that and veg-prep-for-lunch.
    :blushing: Kackie, Thanks, and thanks for the guidance! We can ALL be less mindless about our choices this time of year.
    :happy: Amanda so glad procedure results were ok. How's the tum? Hope your empathy-challenged friend gets some human warmth for Christmas.
    :love: linda loved your advice to Lisa so sharing it here, hope you don't mind. " SPOIL yourself! Eating healthy and exercise is all about that, not about beating yourself up for enjoying holidays." So my holiday present to myself is to play EVERY day!
    :smile: VickiM welcome back!
    :sad: Pam sad to hear of your Funk. You are not alone, I struggle too with the dark of the year, partly emotionally (so many loved ones gone ahead), partly just because it's so d##ned dark! Has anyone tried full spectrum lights? Any raves or rants? Thinking about the one that gradually brightens to wake me, as if the sun still rose before I'm at work:noway:
    November was a mixed bag, not enough play to offset too many indulgent weekends and retirement practice days. Must plan more FUN for the 5 practice days and 4 work holidays this month. Fingers crossed:laugh:

Hugs to all,
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,377 Member
    Options
    Robin - hugs to you. Pain killers can also make you constipated

Well, even with today being such a busy day, I am only 89 calories under. We're supposed to go out to lunch with the Newcomers tomorrow. Before that I have a crochet class I go to, I'll just leave early

Did an hour of water aerobics today. They still don't have the heater fixed for the pool, the temp was 78. But you know something? Once you get in the water and get moving, it really isn't all that bad. Tomorrow I'm planning on doing a few levels of 30 Day Shred DVD

barbie - that penguin is soooo cute!

Well, did all 3 levels of the 30 day shred. Tomorrow I'll do one of my downloadable spin workouts. From yesterday walking backwards on the treadmill, my calves are sore. They were sore the last time I did that, but I'm suspecting that this time they won't be as sore.

They're having a mahjongg party on the 16th. I don't think I'm going to go, it's all day and honestly I have things that need to get done. I was telling a lady (who thinks this is great) that I probably won't be there as I have to get new tires and get my car inspected. Truth of the matter is that I'm going to do that tomorrow.

Viv - *I* noticed that you were gone, just didn't say anything.

Gotta run. There's a crochet class that I go to, I'll leave early and get to the Newcomers luncheon.

Gotta mark my spot, too.

Hope everyone has a great day

Michele
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    As I've aged, I've become kinder to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend..

I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on the computer until 4 AM or sleep until noon? I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 60 &70's, and... i...f I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love .. I will.

I will walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set.

They, too, will get old.
    I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten.. And I eventually remember the important things..

Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car? But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face.
    So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.
    As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore..
    I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer your question, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here,
    I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day(if I feel like it).
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Here's why signatures were disappeared. Go to page 7, read Steven's post then scroll down to Michael's
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/387496-missing-signature-and-ticker?page=7

Forum closed for comment so here's what I messaged to Steven:
    ~~~
    Dear Steven and MFP Staff.

Understand the moderator's burden, too bad signatures were abused.

We in the 50+ women thread used signatures to post monthly goals/intentions and inspirational sayings, etc.
    It helped me to see other gal's goals and to keep mine before me.

Guess I'll just have to keep my "signature" in a text file and paste it into the bottom of each posting.

Fooey.
    ~~~
    animal-emoticon-0064.gifBarbara, who WILL be size 10 one day
    December 2011: dance more, bark less, hit that protein goal, HoliDAY not HoliWEEKEND and CHECK IN!!! :)
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Bump, to read tonight!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Robin - hugs to you. Pain killers can also make you constipated

I discovered that this morning. Thanks for the heads up:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I am doing better though so I am only slightly nauseous today.
  • chicletgirl21
    chicletgirl21 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!:flowerforyou:

I'm glad I am not the only one feeling poopy at this time. Mom has been especially difficult this last month and it doesn't look like it is getting any better.:frown: Yesterday was a horrible day and it started first thing in the morning. I prepared mom's oatmeal, yogurt, milk and fruit for breakfast. I gave it to her and then went back in the kitchen to clean up and then went and took a shower. Well because she was watchng tv and not paying attention to the food I brought her, it wasn't unitl after I was in the shower that she noticed she didn't have a spoon. So the entire time I was in the shower she was screaming at the top of her lungs for me. I of course could not hear her. So when I got out of the shower and was toweling off that was when I heard her. I yelled back at her asking what she wanted and she said a spoon. I finished getting dressed quickly and got her the spoon. Well when I walked into the room she was there, with her fingers in the bowl eating her oatmeal with them. Oatmeal was everywhere!:noway: On her face, fingers, hands, blouse, bed....It was a mess! I was furious! I asked her what possessed her to eat with her fingers like an animal??? She said, "Well you didn't give me a spoon." I told her you could have waited unitl I got out, got you a spoon and rewarned your oatmeal!" She lauged at me and said," What was the big deal." I couldn't believe it! I almost lost it. The rest of the day it just went down hill from that point on. Later in the evening when a friend came over to watch a show with me and have dinner, my mom was acting up again, throwing a temper tantrum with her there. I had to clean her, take her to the commode, do a diaper change, all while she argued and fought with me the ENTIRE time! My friend could hear us in the other room. I never got to watch the show with her or eat with her for that matter. By the time I got out there, I was so exhausted I couldn't even eat. I went into the bathroom and closed the door sat on the toilet and cried my eyes out feeling sorry for myself. :sad: Later my friend said, "I don't know how you do this day after day. I hate seeing you go through this.Everyone else comes home and can relax sit down and watch tv and you have to go directly into her room and go through that ordeal every night. I couldn't do that. You need help or your going to go crazy" She then cried too and said she wished she could do something for me, as listening to the whole ordeal had upset her. I was exhausted.

Last night we had real high, strong winds, and my apartment is next to a banner and the flag was making all this racket, things were blowing all over the place. It even blew one of my flower pots off the patio table. Boo and I went to bed and as usual, Scout slept in the living room. Well all the noise the wind was creating caused Scout to freak out and was barking. So I had to get up and get him to sleep with Boo and I. (Which Boo did not apprecaite one bit. She considers my queen size bed entirely hers. When he came in she growled at him. I had to play referee to them both. Finally, I went to bed at 2am. Now I am up again and can't sleep. And they both are in thee sleeping with their heads on my pillows!:yawn: I took a pill to help me sleep a little more which is finally kicking in. so I will leave now and try to rest some more.

Chiclet:flowerforyou:
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Itamatgo: What a great attitude you have! Thanks for the "Glass half full" reminder!:drinker:

Auntie BK: Thanks for the explanation of signature disappearance!

Pam: I hope you feel better soon. I think this is a tough time of the year for many reasons! Vent away!!!! We are here for you:flowerforyou:

I am out the door for my walk/run! BYe for now, Kackie
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Once more, I have made a slip. My apologies to topaz2986 - she sent me a message over Thanksgiving giving me her birthday, and I forgot about it when I got home. Her birthday was yesterday, November 30th. So, Topaz, my apologies, and happy belated birthday to you! I am declaring today your honorary Women Ages 50+ birthday for this year! Enjoy your extra day of celebration, just don't eat too much cake! :laugh:
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Once more, I have made a slip. My apologies to topaz2986 - she sent me a message over Thanksgiving giving me her birthday, and I forgot about it when I got home. Her birthday was yesterday, November 30th. So, Topaz, my apologies, and happy belated birthday to you! I am declaring today your honorary Women Ages 50+ birthday for this year! Enjoy your extra day of celebration, just don't eat too much cake! :laugh:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TOPAZ2986.....:flowerforyou:

thank you all for letting me vent....i decided to go to the gym and at least try it out for a few minnutes....i was albe to hold off for an hour......i dont like feeling this way, but who does....i will work on getting through this...thanks all
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I found ya'll! look forward to being accountable to you!

Cardio Goals:
    My November goals [see November Ironman Challenge" thread] were to walk 22 miles, bike 73 miles, and swim 8.5 miles (+- 6 hours each). I exceeded my walking and biking goal (37.25 miles and 98.9 miles respectively) and missed my swimming goal by less than 6/10ths of a mile (7.94 miles) because the pool temperature went all wonky the 8 days of the month.

My December goals [see "December Ironman Challenge" thread] are to walk 29.5 miles (+- 8 hours), Bike 72 miles (+- 6 hours), and swim 5.5 miles (+- 4 hours).

Strength Goals:
    My November goal was to START a regular strength/resistance program, since I've sort of ignored that in the past. I had a consultation session with a personal trainer on November 17th, and she "prescribed" a 10-minute routine 3 X per week focused on upper body strength, which I have faithfully performed for 2 weeks.

My December goal is to continue being faithful to that routine for the whole month. . .then I'll see whether I'm ready to increase either weight level or number of reps in January.

Weight/Food Goals:
    My November goals were to (a) lose 5 lbs; and (b) NOT go out of control over Thanksgiving weekend. I (a) lost 6lbs [yay!!], and only exceeded my calorie goal by 350 calories for the entire Thurs-Fri-Sat-Sun Thanksgiving weekend.

My December goals are to (a) lose 3 lbs before December 24 [yeah, it's a low goal, but I think it's reasonable given the holidays] and (b) not to GAIN between December 24 - Jan 1, which is when I will on the road doing "howdy duties" with relatives in three states.
  • AZDee
    AZDee Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My goal is to be under 200 pounds by the end of the month, that means 14 pounds....I believe I can do it!!!! Never thought I would be this excited to be labled Overweight, it sure beats Obese!!!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    My one and only goal is to recover from my head injury. I'm going to give myself a break on all the rest ....the marathon, the Goofy Challenge, the 200km brevet I was going to do in Jan., my weight, etc. Just this one thing (and the holidays).

This time of year, we are genetically programmed to hibernate IMO. I always go up in the winter -- though not being able to exercise doesn't help AT ALL -- but it comes back off in the spring. I've decided not to fight it and not to spend all winter beating myself up about it but to only put energy towards not getting out of control.

I decided that last year and it worked pretty well.
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I think that I will hang with MacMadame this month ~ my goal is to not get out of control.