Living Social McDonald's Deal

Options

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    If you're feeding 5 people---that's a heck of a deal.

How is that a good deal? You could buy the ingredients to make more than 5 big juicy burgers and homemade french fries for the same money.

And can you buy it, cook it, wash it up, etc in the same time? Nope, and that's part of what your paying for, convenience.

Rightly or wrongly, it's a fact. Some people don't have the time/can't be arsed to spend that long preparing and cooking it. Certainly the extra taste isn't worth it.

I always thought that some people idea of what is "cruel" on here was a bit skewed, but now this thread is being cruel?

L2selfcontrol...take some damn responsibility for your actions instead of blaming everything else for your own failings.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I don't want to hear anyone bashing on McDonald's if you still drink alcohol. At least Mickie D's has a little nutrional value. What's the value of half a dozen rum and coke other than it just being awesomely fun?

Wine has healthy antioxidants. Rum and coke may have no nutritional value but drinking any type of alcohol in moderation has been shown to have overall health benefits. Nutrients are not the only thing needed for health.

Oh, so Mc Donalds in moderation isn't ok, but alchohol is? I use to run a bar, and I hardly ever saw people drink in moderation, if they did we would have 1/10 of the bars that we have.

I never said or implied anything about what is "ok". What people do and what is healthy are different subjects.

Alcohol in moderation has been shown in peer reviewed clinical studies to have health benefits. Do you know of any studies showing something similar for McD food?
    I'm sure there are thousands of peer reviewed studies showing the health benefits of eating protein, and vegetables, and carbs...

Probably so, but not what I asked.

Oh that's right, you're the one who thinks that beef and vegetables magically lose all of their nutritional value because they happened to be purchased by McDonald's instead of some other purveyor of food. It's still an illogical stance that's completely false.

Still has nothing to do with what I asked. But thanks for playing.

Haha, great answer. Because I've disproved whatever it is you're hoping to prove. I certainly hope that EVERY meal you cook is backed up by a scientific, peer reviewed study that the entire meal exactly as you prepared it is healthy for you, since you already admitted that showing that ingredients and individual components of meals having health benefits doesn't matter.
    This board really needs an eye-rolling smiley...

What is it you think I was "hoping to prove"? A guy said McD was healthier than alcohol. I have yet to see anything from him or you to back that up. Insults aren't proof of anything, other than perhaps personality flaws.

Where did I say that McDonalds is healthier than alcohol? No where. I'm just trying to point out the blantant hypocrisy of bashing a fast food chain simply because of peoples personal inability to self-moderate when I can easily look into the lives of everyone on here and find something that isn't "healthy". Besides, if you can honestly say that you are drinking 1-2 glasses of wine everyday for "health" benefits, you are part of that small minority of people I know that doesn't do it for the buzz.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I don't want to hear anyone bashing on McDonald's if you still drink alcohol. At least Mickie D's has a little nutrional value. What's the value of half a dozen rum and coke other than it just being awesomely fun?

Wine has healthy antioxidants. Rum and coke may have no nutritional value but drinking any type of alcohol in moderation has been shown to have overall health benefits. Nutrients are not the only thing needed for health.

Oh, so Mc Donalds in moderation isn't ok, but alchohol is? I use to run a bar, and I hardly ever saw people drink in moderation, if they did we would have 1/10 of the bars that we have.

I never said or implied anything about what is "ok". What people do and what is healthy are different subjects.

Alcohol in moderation has been shown in peer reviewed clinical studies to have health benefits. Do you know of any studies showing something similar for McD food?
    I'm sure there are thousands of peer reviewed studies showing the health benefits of eating protein, and vegetables, and carbs...

Probably so, but not what I asked.

Oh that's right, you're the one who thinks that beef and vegetables magically lose all of their nutritional value because they happened to be purchased by McDonald's instead of some other purveyor of food. It's still an illogical stance that's completely false.

Still has nothing to do with what I asked. But thanks for playing.

Haha, great answer. Because I've disproved whatever it is you're hoping to prove. I certainly hope that EVERY meal you cook is backed up by a scientific, peer reviewed study that the entire meal exactly as you prepared it is healthy for you, since you already admitted that showing that ingredients and individual components of meals having health benefits doesn't matter.
    This board really needs an eye-rolling smiley...

What is it you think I was "hoping to prove"? A guy said McD was healthier than alcohol. I have yet to see anything from him or you to back that up. Insults aren't proof of anything, other than perhaps personality flaws.

Drinking alcohol in moderation has positive health benefits, too many drinks at once can be bad. The protein in a Big Mac has positive health benefits, too many Big Macs at once can be bad. I'm still trying to understand the point you are making, because I can't find one. And I'm not insulting anyone. You're the one insisting that protein being healthy and vegetables being healthy don't matter because it comes from McDonald's. It's a completely illogical concept.
  • IsleOfThanet
    Options
    A Big Mac every now and again is not the end of the world. While I don't recommend eating all 5 Big Mac and fries at one sitting, in one day, or even in one week ... every now and again they are tasty.

As long as eating a Big Mac is a conscious and informed eating choice and you plan for the calories. Just, please, please, please ... don't come on here after eating Big Macs with fries and wonder why your weight loss has slowed or stalled.

I got this deal from Living Social and am fully prepared to take the consequences if every now and then I eat one.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ah hahaha. Hilarious, every one.

There are real people on here wrestling with real weight problems.

there are people who arent real on here!?
  • tigersword
    Options
    I'm just a figment of my imagination.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i still love this thread
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Drinking alcohol in moderation has positive health benefits, too many drinks at once can be bad. The protein in a Big Mac has positive health benefits, too many Big Macs at once can be bad. I'm still trying to understand the point you are making, because I can't find one. And I'm not insulting anyone. You're the one insisting that protein being healthy and vegetables being healthy don't matter because it comes from McDonald's. It's a completely illogical concept.

How about the Twinkie Diet guy? Ate only Twinkies, lost weight and his bloodwork and other vitals improved, while eating complete junk. Are there any similar studies of anyone on a McDonald's diet, not the Spurlock guy who ate to gluttony to gain weight, but eating McD's in moderation?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

How about the Twinkie Diet guy? Ate only Twinkies, lost weight and his bloodwork and other vitals improved, while eating complete junk. Are there any similar studies of anyone on a McDonald's diet, not the Spurlock guy who ate to gluttony to gain weight, but eating McD's in moderation?

moderation? LOVE IT!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,222 Member
    Options

moderation? LOVE IT!

The documentary "Fat Heads" is close.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    That really depends on how much and of what you are going to eat at McDonalds vs. how long you are going to sit in the smoke filled room.
    I bought their other local deal for a cigar bar.

McDonald's is probably healthier than sitting in a smoke-filled room.
  • Forme4real2
    Options
    That's not a deal. Wendys 99 cent menu, that's a deal!

Wendy's would be the death of me!
  • ccarpe
    ccarpe Posts: 118
    Options
    So thankful McDonalds makes me gag!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,222 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong withhaving fast food sometimes. Its a part of life.

Its a part of life for Recent generations. It was NOT a part of life for the older generations...I think we'd be doing just fine if we didn't have fast food. Very curious to what the obesity rate would be if fast food places didn't exist. Justa thought

If food were as easily available as it is probably not much different. I rarely ate at McD's as I child as we could not afford it, yet I was still overweight on toward obese. It is simply that food is plentiful and we are not nearly active enough. No one forces people to eat at McD's or any other fast food place. They choose to for various reasons some valid, some not; but it is there choice.
  • iamthevieve
    Options
    I had a McChicken this morning. YUM!
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Let's test their willpower with lovely pictures of burgers on the nutrition thread. I bet they can't do it.
    You do realize that ads for fast food and chocolate often appear in the advertisements on this site, right?
    You do realize that the ads that show up are a result of your internet habits, right? I don't have fast food and chocolate on mine; I have wedding rings and facial moisturizers.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    [/quote]You do realize that the ads that show up are a result of your internet habits, right? I don't have fast food and chocolate on mine; I have wedding rings and facial moisturizers.
    [/quote]

Then why are my ads showing Old Spice? :huh:

Someone can have my coupon simply because I don't like Big Macs. There is something about them, probably the sauce and that extra bread in the middle. However, if you see a coupon book like this for double cheeseburgers lemme know. Or if you see BK Tendergrill meals - mmmmm those are TASTY! Ooo or the Santa Fe Chicken burger at Carl's Jr. I had one of those a couple days ago and it was amazing.

What works for me might not work for you and your way may not work for me. I can not go from a diet that has room for junk and fast food to straight whole foods cooked at home every single day. I wouldn't be able to stick to it. Mad props to those of you who can and do enjoy that lifestyle. I can and do enjoy my slower weight loss with all the goodies you're not eating.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    That really depends on how much and of what you are going to eat at McDonalds vs. how long you are going to sit in the smoke filled room.
    I bought their other local deal for a cigar bar.

McDonald's is probably healthier than sitting in a smoke-filled room.

It was mostly a sarcastic comment, but in all seriousness the cigar bar isn't all that smoky when they're actually running the ventilation system.

My McD's all-time favorite is an egg McMuffin with medium coffee. So if there was a McD's breakfast deal, I'd be all over that in an instant.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I don't think we had that offer in Canada. Booooo.

If that were for Five Guys, I'd eat the whole five of them myself, one by delicious one. Or stack them on top of each other and learn how to unhinge my jaw.

BTW - healthy weight here, and every Sunday afternoon for the last few months, I've had a Five Guys cheeseburger & fries. Would be McDonald's instead but when you can have Five Guys, why settle for McDonalds??
  • tigersword
    Options
    I LOVE Five Guys.