How to get lean muscles and not bulky?

Options

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Vim_n_vigor, believe who you want. I've study the human body myself and I have a degree to back that up, but my degree is not important.

What is your degree in?
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Vim_n_vigor, believe who you want. I've study the human body myself and I have a degree to back that up, but my degree is not important.

What is your degree in?

I think she's referring to her GED.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Stretching doesn't, and can't prevent "bulkiness." That's just silly. Your muscle size and shape is genetic, and there is nothing you can do to change the shape of them. No amount of stretching will make them longer or leaner. It is physically impossible, unless you cut your muscle off the bone and surgically reattach it somewhere else.

According to this site stretching can help prevent bulkiness. http://www.ehow.com/how_2339824_tone-muscles-bulking-up.html

6. Stretch thoroughly after every workout. Stretching protects against injuries and also elongates your muscles. Regularly stretching can help keep you from developing knotty, bulky muscles.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    ^^ Says the person with no weight loss ticker or proof of a weight loss journey!!

Sorry just pointing out the obvious

and if someone KNEW their own body and was so spot on and KNEW what they were talking about, wouldn't they already have been successful and be at their goal and then some?
  • RyanDanielle5101
    Options
    ^^ Says the person with no weight loss ticker or proof of a weight loss journey!!

Sorry just pointing out the obvious

RyanDanielle5, I'm not trying to lose scale weight. So, why should I have a weight loss ticker? I have proof of my results, but you aren't going to see it. I don't have to prove myself to you.

Well let’s hear your Journey then???

All I can go off of is your private profile and well..............
    2447fyt.jpg
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Read this to be reminded why I don't post & try to inform the obstinate ones here much anymore.

Thanks AZ!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Stretching doesn't, and can't prevent "bulkiness." That's just silly. Your muscle size and shape is genetic, and there is nothing you can do to change the shape of them. No amount of stretching will make them longer or leaner. It is physically impossible, unless you cut your muscle off the bone and surgically reattach it somewhere else.

According to this site stretching can help prevent bulkiness. http://www.ehow.com/how_2339824_tone-muscles-bulking-up.html

6. Stretch thoroughly after every workout. Stretching protects against injuries and also elongates your muscles. Regularly stretching can help keep you from developing knotty, bulky muscles.

Just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true. It is impossible to "elongate" your muscles without surgery. Do you get all your information from ehow.com? That would certainly explain a lot...
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options

No it does't
  • Football_N_Guns
    Football_N_Guns Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    "I know that everyone on here is not here to lose weight. People are going to believe what they want and who they want. I don't come on forums to change anyone's mind."

Yet you continue to reply to everyone's posts trying to disprove his or her's response. State what you want to state and move on. There is no need to continue to argue your point.

You can move on too.

See how easily you proved my point. It's like taking candy from a baby.....
  • AZackery
    Options
    and if someone KNEW their own body and was so spot on and KNEW what they were talking about, wouldn't they already have been successful and be at their goal and then some?

Bry_all01, you might have me on ignore and good. I'm not on the fast track. I'm on the slow road. I'm aiming to lose fat and not scale weight. Scale weight loss and fat loss aren't the same thing. It takes time to lose fat or do you disagree with that as well?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    To the OP: This is something that I was just talking about recently. I do a mixture of cardio and lifting heavy. I cardio M, W, F, S (some running when the weather's nice, mostly step and spin when the weather's too cold for this thin blooded girl). T, Th, S I hit the weights and lift as heavy as I can go on reps of 8 - 10. I and bottom heavy (as in, that's where I genetically carry my fat first and last). In the picture below you will see a pair of boots shot from the top looking down. I broke the fob on the zipper off last winter zipping those bad boys up. By lowering my body fat I have so much excess room that I can no longer wear them under my boot pants without my pants laying ackward:

BOOT.jpg

so that's my anecdotal evidence that agrees with the pages and pages of peer reviewed proof and facts supported by science that unless everything (diet, hormonal imbalances, and hours upon hours every single week in the gym) collides you will probably not find your end results bulky. You're building mucscle under fat which may temporarily increase your girth (love that word), but as you drop your overall bf% you'll find those remarkable muscles that will have you looking for a new pair of better fitting boots.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Without steroids a woman cannot get bulky.Best result is coming from light weights with high reps.
    The leaner you get the less bulky your calves are going to be.

yeah they can

Possible? Yes. But one would have to be predisposed to that via genetics and a workout routine next to none. You are talking about a very, very, very small portion of the population. I'm talking being bulky without a high bodyfat %.

Sort of silly to have this conversation considering no one has even seen any pics of the OP for context.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    "I know that everyone on here is not here to lose weight. People are going to believe what they want and who they want. I don't come on forums to change anyone's mind."

Yet you continue to reply to everyone's posts trying to disprove his or her's response. State what you want to state and move on. There is no need to continue to argue your point.

You can move on too.

See how easily you proved my point. It's like taking candy from a baby.....

I REALLY want some Happy Cola gummis now.....
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    AZackery makes my head hurt.
    Go see a doctor.
    OH SNAP!!!
  • AZackery
    Options
    Just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true. It is impossible to "elongate" your muscles without surgery. Do you get all your information from ehow.com? That would certainly explain a lot...

Tigersword, correct me if I am wrong, but don't you use the internet to post things to me to try to prove that I don't know what I'm talking about?

I don't have to believe you. Just as you don't have to believe what I have posted.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

I <3's the interwebz, they never lie to me or carry misinformation. I fully believe that everything I'm told on the interwebz is factually true, therefore I'm going to go puchase some old spice today because it is currently telling me that "you are beautiful, and so is your decision to buy this product" (old spice).

ehow is a wonderful source of consistently accurate informaiton, as is wikipedia.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options

Ah, yes. The medical and/or fitness experts at ehow.com! Of course!

My favorite part? The 3 lb weights in the pic. Where have I heard someone sing the praises of 3 lb weights before? :laugh:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Tigersword, correct me if I am wrong, but don't you use the internet to post things to me to try to prove that I don't know what I'm talking about?

I don't have to believe you. Just as you don't have to believe what I have posted.

My information comes from textbooks and peer reviewed scientific journals, not an ehow article written by an anonymous person with no credentials. Especially an article with no basis in science, that can easily be disproved with just a cursory examination of any scientific research on the subject.
  • BeSkinnyBeStrong
    Options

I <3's the interwebz, they never lie to me or carry misinformation. I fully believe that everything I'm told on the interwebz is factually true, therefore I'm going to go puchase some old spice today because it is currently telling me that "you are beautiful, and so is your decision to buy this product" (old spice).

ehow is a wonderful source of consistently accurate informaiton, as is wikipedia.

and I want a mini hippopotamus that eats potato chips and lives in my closet :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    In the picture below you will see a pair of boots shot from the top looking down. I broke the fob on the zipper off last winter zipping those bad boys up.

Allabtlm, those are some gorgeous gams you got there!

Which just goes to show, it's a lot easier to take someone seriously when (1) what they say makes sense and (b) there's some solid evidence that what they're saying works. :wink: