What sparked "I'm going to lose that weight!"

Options

Replies

• summer827
    summer827 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I really wasn't spurred to make dramatic changes all at once. I knew what I should have been doing all along, but let things slide for about a year. I was waiting to be motivated to change again! That wasn't happening, but I was outgrowing my clothes. I went up a size (bought new clothes), those began to get tight and that did it. I just started going to the gym again. My initial goal was just to go twice a week. I did that and always when I'm there I'm inspired by other people taking care of themselves. I realized I should start tracking my intake again and "moved" here from another site. I've logged in every day since and really enjoy the accountability and encouragement I receive here!
  • thebigbige
    thebigbige Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend dumping me for another man. I've been using this before, but this time I'm in it for real.
  • Mikaylarae27
    Mikaylarae27 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    We had a vacation planned with my husbands best friend, his wife and their daughter. While talking on the phone with her making plans for the trip she said to me, "Well at least I don't have to worry about you being all skinny and making me look bad this trip. hahaha" :noway: She is a heavy girl and the last time we saw them was before I had my daughter and I was thin. It made me so angry and hurt me so much that it was enough to push me. The next day I started my journey and I've never looked back. 25 lbs down went from a size 12/13 to a size4/ 6 and my profile pic is the bikini I bought while we were on our trip with them. I love her to death but EAT YOUR HEART OUT HONEY bc I worked my *kitten* off to get where I am! :bigsmile:

HELL YEAH girl! Be proud of that! You look great!
  • Konpeito
    Options
    I was just tired of being the chubby one all the time, I remember my brother telling my sister because my sister thought she had gained a little weight "In less you are over 150 pounds you wouldn't look chunky" which at that time I was 158lb which he knew and knowing my brother it was to make my sister fell better but was also a shot at me (Same brother who called me a living trash can and a vegetable) I had enough, I didn't want to be the way I was anymore I wanted to change. Whenever I looked in the mirror I didn't like what I saw and I figured there was no reason not to want to loose weight even know I only recently started to loose weight
  • fininski
    Options
    Being at my boyfriends house in the kitchen and realizing my a tummy paunch was resting ON the counter top :indifferent:
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I had 2 kids back to back and went from 160-270 between them,
    I hated how i looked and felt and was miserable

I can happily say that I know weight 156 and still going :)

and I lost it all in a year :)
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Two things, really. The first was looking in the mirror and seeing the first stretch marks on my belly. Then I decided to step on a scale after years of not doing so (somehow they always forget that part at the doctors lol). When I got on the scale expecting to be around 170 or so it ready 195, and I realized how close I was to hitting 200 and decided that I would not let that happen!

The fact that days later we were moving to a new location that is literally a quarter mile from a gym didn't hurt either. :)
  • Bunnyfufu87
    Options
    Wanting realizing i gained 100 pounds since my husband met me! And wanting to like what i look like in the mirror
  • TheAnie
    TheAnie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Two things. The first was six months of trying to conceive and failing to do so. Realizing pushing myself to lose weight could help. It hasn't helped yet(and I've lost more than 10% of my original body weight but have only just broken into a healthy BMI range), but in the end this is for more than a baby. And the second kick in the butt was this dress:
    dressaniewants1.jpg
    It killed me that I couldn't zip this dress up. I wanted this dress so bad it hurt. I'll never own this dress now, and I regret that. I'm hoping to find a dress that is just as stunning when I do lose the rest of this weight.

So yeah, vanity more than actual desires for health I think. I want to be healthy, and that is a major part of this, but the reality is vanity will always win out.
  • cecilia0909
    cecilia0909 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    After I had my first son I kept waiting for the weight to come off and when I got pregnant with son #2 I knew I had to change my lifestyle. I was extremely unhappy with how I looked and the fact that I hardly had any clothes to wear even though my closet was full because I didn't fit into any of them.

When I took an old pair of jeans that used to fit pretty loose and needed a belt and couldn't get them past my lower thigh, I knew I needed to finally do something.
  • rayzerwolf
    rayzerwolf Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    A picture of Adam and I together at my brother's graduation + stepping on the scale for the first time in months and seeing it not only over 200 (first time in my life, even if I've always been a heavy girl), but at 230. For some reason I was okay with being overweight until I was over 200---then it became unacceptable.

same here except the pic with Adam lol but it was some one elses grad photos
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I realized even my 'fat' pants are too big... I have been wearin sweats for the last 4 months. I want my cute jeans back :(
  • ChasingHaven
    ChasingHaven Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    1) Diabetes runs rampant in my family and I've been ignoring it too long.
    2) I've lost weight before and dropped 30 pounds. I've gained back 50 : (
    3) I've got all these skinny pants waiting for me.
    4) I weighed the most I've ever weighed in my life -209
    5) I can't ever remember looking thin and being comfortable with my weight. This time I will do it!!
  • loustevo
    loustevo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I went into premature labour a couple of months ago and very sadly lost my little boy. I want to lose the weight I gained as it's a constant reminder of what I've lost. :-(
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    1) Diabetes runs rampant in my family and I've been ignoring it too long.
    2) I've lost weight before and dropped 30 pounds. I've gained back 50 : (
    3) I've got all these skinny pants waiting for me.
    4) I weighed the most I've ever weighed in my life -209
    5) I can't ever remember looking thin and being comfortable with my weight. This time I will do it!!

Point 1 I subscribe to
    2) Lost 51/2 stone and put 4 back on :(
    3) Lots of changes at job front and feeling edgy all the time - I need my work outs back to stay sane
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    1. I've been on hypertension medications for decades.
    2. Atrial fibrillation episodes for the past 11 years.
    3. Gout attacks several times a year due in part to my meds
    4. Sick and tired of feeling sick and tired.
    5. Joint and back pains due to the extra weight
    6. I'll be 65 ... if not now, when?

The straw that broke the camel's back was a major gout episode last March in my heel ... I had to use a cane for a week, and asked myself: is this what I really want from life when I get older, or do I want to be one of those healthy and active seniors?
  • cjipping
    cjipping Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    At my friends baby shower we played the "guess how many inches Mary's stomach is" game, you know when you cut a piece of yarn the size you think the mom-to-be is around the stomach. Well trying to be nice i measured around my waist and added a few inches..........guess what............I WAS THE WINNER. I was horrified.

My friend was 8 month pregnant!!!!

Yea....so...that's why.
  • KacieHetrick
    KacieHetrick Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Finally getting answers for why I was feeling so sick, tired and gaining weight! I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease after 5 years of wondering what was going on! I finally have healthy thyroid levels and I CAN lose! I'm finding it so easy to lose that I'm nervous that when I plateau I'll give up easily, that's why I think it's so important to have a support group!
  • eg140
    eg140 Posts: 8
    Options
    My wife and daughters telling me I am getting fat. Out of breath going up a couple flights of stairs. And the final straw was hitting my self imposed warning to lose weight was if I couldn't remove my wedding ring from my finger. That freaked me out.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I thought one day "Life doesn't last forever and I have wasted 31 years not liking myself". "I want to feel skinny(healthy) for the first time in my life".

Pretty much that :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!