Are you a hugger?

Options

Replies

• tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I don't like hugs at all. Way too much time up in my personal space. I also don't like being touched in general (minus my husband). That being said I am French Canadian and we greet everyone with a peck on each cheek. Now you might think that's much more invasion of space but when you look at it the double kiss is never awkward. It's like a standard. You know it's a kiss on each cheek for everyone and move on. A hug can be awkward. You press up on someone, then you need to hold it for an appropriate amount of time. Too much awkwardness for me but now that I'm in the US I'm hugging a lot :/
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    I'm a hugger spooner and official foot warmer!
    All men are foot warmers. It's your job. Kind of like killing the bugs and opening really tight jars.
  • jumcadam
    jumcadam Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I only hug close family and friends. And I still find it stifling sometimes.

The idea of hugging a stranger really makes me feel very uncomfortable.
  • WarriorMom2012
    WarriorMom2012 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I'll virtually hug the breath outta ya. (((((Hugs))))) But in RL, please, no touching unless you are making me breakfast the next morning.

^^^ This. Or if I'm drunk. I'll pretty much dry hump everyone when I'm drunk :drinker:
  • byroman
    byroman Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    i could use a hug right now....
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    In my culture we hug a lot with family and close friends, but there are some people who are just huggers with EVERYONE. So do you hug or do you avoid it at all costs?

It's funny to see the looks on my students' faces when I tell them that at every get together (Christmas/birthday parties, funerals, weddings, etc) it is customary to hug/shake hands with everyone in the room as you enter for the first time and as you exit at the end. The general response of the teenagers is "Oh hell no"...we rarely got to the kiss on the cheek discussion after that...lol
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options

NOPE!!! Don't touch me. I give high-fives and *kitten* slaps.

I'll take an infamous Skitty *kitten* slap please!

I love hugs, but not awkward ones
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    no I am NOT a hugger. NOT touchy-feely person. I love holding my babies, everyone said I held them too much but they're adults now so what's too much? I hug & hold my grandkids & snuggle with my dogs.
    But I hate ppl hanging off me omg I hate that. I don't hang on guys, not a hand-holder.. I feel like I'm in 'custody' LOL I'm a pure romantic
    it's not that I don't display affection, I do - just not for HOURS!
    LOL
    oh, and i hate, loathe & despise PDA... in young ppl, a certain amount is expected. But in older ppl!? disgusting- get a room!
  • 13Natty
    Options
    Very interesting question.
    >One of my best friends is a male and he is married and he is a hugger and a kisser. Honestly it creeps me out. I ask him not to do it so he stops for a day then he is at it again it escalates to creepy then I ask him again so on, so on, so on.
    >I hug my mum and dad.
    > My sisters if needing to comfort.
    > I would hug friends if i had not seen them for awhile to show real joy in catching up with them (but only if they were huggers of course).

>>>>>oh of course my kids love to hug my kids every chance I get.

Actually I am a little upset with myself. I met a couple that I really liked at a party. While talking to them learnt that the wife hated the male friend of mine because of his creepy hugging issues. I really enjoyed meeting them, had lots of wine and then proceeded to hug them good bye???????????????? What was I thinking, I can not believe I did that to someone who is a hardcore hug hater!!!!!! That I only just met??????? Maybe so I could get away with hugging her cute Hubby? lol
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    We knew it was time to go when mom would say, "Ok, give everyone hugs and kisses!"
    Is this a southern thing? My brothers-in-law (and their wives) do this constantly with their kids. My nephew was visibly uncomfortable with this for years. I felt bad for him. I would whisper to him he doesn't have to hug me if he doesn't want to.

I asked my mom about it. She told me it was a southern thing, as she was raised like that. I asked her why she never, ever made me do it. She told me she used to hate having to hug and kiss all her relatives. She wasn't going to make her child do it. If I wanted to hug and kiss, it should be my choice. Bless her...

Not for us it isn't a southern thing. No one in my family has lived farther south than me. We're just a really close family. Some of us (like my sister) didn't like it, but we didn't push it too hard. It was more shyness than an actual repulsion to the hugging. I remember just being shy when I was asked to hug someone in my family that I don't see often, so I wasn't as comfortable with them in general. Now that we're grown, my sister will leave without hugging some people, but my brother and I give her a hard time because she thinks she's too cool for us ;)

It's kind of understood that we all want hugs and kisses, but if someone is opposed, even in the moment, it's not forced.
  • Unwrapping_Candy
    Unwrapping_Candy Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    The last person who tried to hug me ended up experiencing unexpected pain. I don't do well with hugs much like I don't do well with small spaces. Hugging is only appropriate at funerals and other "high priority" life events and even then there are restrictions.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I am with my hubby an kids,but other than them I do not like people touching me. My mom does not even try to hug me anymore because she knows It makes me uncomfratable,when i was a child I did not like when my parents would hug me.
  • King_Bee
    King_Bee Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm a dirty ol' man hugger...that is...curved back, crotch forward, shoulders back.....mhmm...

Who want's a hug?!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    The problem I have with (most) huggers is they expect everyone else to be. Even if the issue is not forced, there's still awkward. I don't do awkward.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    The only person I hug is my BF. Not my family..no one. When someone hugs me I just stand there awkwardly and do the back tap. Someone thought this was so strange they asked me if I was molested as a child. I wasn't. Then I was told I should get therapy.
  • Goldenwoof
    Goldenwoof Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely a hugger. But what's weird is when I'm parting ways with a group of friends who are mixed between huggers and non-huggers. It kinda makes for an awkward moment when you hug one person, hug the next and then just say "bye" to the next.

Non-huggers... Gotta wonder about those people... ;)
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    The only person I hug is my BF. Not my family..no one. When someone hugs me I just stand there awkwardly and do the back tap. Someone thought this was so strange they asked me if I was molested as a child. I wasn't. Then I was told I should get therapy.

Cracking up here. I also dislike hugging, except with:

1.) People I am F***ing
    2.) Close family
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Yep...hugger and a kisser (everybody except strangers):smooched:
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    The problem I have with (most) huggers is they expect everyone else to be. Even if the issue is not forced, there's still awkward. I don't do awkward.

I don't expect everyone else to be, but I might secretly think it's sad because I love to hug. There's plenty of people I don't want to hug, though, so I can understand.

I accidentally converted my best friend to a hugger, though. She gives the best hugs, but was always too shy to ask people for hugs. She said this to me once and I hugged her, and our lives have never been wanting for hugs ever since. She even hugs my family without prompting at family gatherings.
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely a hugger. But what's weird is when I'm parting ways with a group of friends who are mixed between huggers and non-huggers. It kinda makes for an awkward moment when you hug one person, hug the next and then just say "bye" to the next.

Non-huggers... Gotta wonder about those people... ;)

Agreed..to the word. :)