How Do You Feel About The Flu Shot?

Options

Replies

• Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    In reality, the people that develop the flu shots are only guessing at what strain of flu to immunize people against. Do you remember the panic over the bird flu and the Asian flu and the Swine flu and so many other "near-miss" flues that basically were unwarranted?

I will take my vitamins and supplements and if others want to take flu shots, they are welcome to do so.
  • M3CH4N1C
    M3CH4N1C Posts: 157
    Options
    In reality, the people that develop the flu shots are only guessing at what strain of flu to immunize people against. Do you remember the panic over the bird flu and the Asian flu and the Swine flu and so many other "near-miss" flues that basically were unwarranted?

I will take my vitamins and supplements and if others want to take flu shots, they are welcome to do so.

Exactly. You have less than a 3% chance of getting the flu in the first place. Is it really worth it? I've had the flu and it's not that bad. People are just pre madonnas
  • tegla
    tegla Posts: 132
    Options
    I've never had one, getting sick is part of being human. Now of course if it's serious, it's to the doctor we go, but being prepared and smart goes a long way. The way I see it, if I want my muscles to be stronger they have to be worked out, same with my immune system. ( My husband, he thinks food trucks and shady restaurants are for building immune systems also.. Gag ((No he isn't completely serious about that, I hope))
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

If someone developed the flu shortly after getting the vaccine, they did not get it from the vaccine (possibly they didn't have the flu but another infection with similar symptoms)

Or they already had it when they got the shot, but hadn't yet presented symptoms. The incubation period is 2-5 days.
    This is the reason that it's important for people who are in contact with more sensitive populations (ie small children, the elderly, etc. ) to get immunized.

Even if you don't show symptoms, or had mild symptoms, this doesn't mean that you didn't contract the virus. Once contracted, it can still be spread, even if you never get sick.
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    I get one. I don't see what the big deal would be about having to get one. I work in a pharmacy and there's a girl I work with that absolutely refuses to get a flu shot, but she has serious issues.
  • jnissi
    jnissi Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I never get one. You shouldn't ever be forced by someone else or by a company to make any specific medical decision. The flu shot only covers a certain number of strains anyways, and they are just hoping that it covers the new seasons variations of the flu. So, in my opinion, it is pointless. I think the big push to get everyone to vaccinate is majorly motivated by money!
  • Murlin54
    Murlin54 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I myself am highly upset that everyone here is being forced to take a flu shot regardless of whether you want it or not. It's either take it or lose your job- I have never taken one and I don't want one! What are your thoughts about the flu shot?

I've never gotten a flu shot. I'm 57 yrs old. I had a serious chest cold 29 years ago that I took antibiotics for. I've cared for my kids when they had the flu and didn't catch it myself. Of course I used a lot of sanitizer and alchohol wipes on the thermometer. A couple of years ago I think my son had swine flu because they said it was too early for seasonal flu and swine flu was making the rounds here. i don't think anyone should be forced to get the flu shot, but if you get the flu, they should be able to force you to stay home from work so as not to spread the germs. I am taking extra vitamin D which doctors are saying is a natural flu preventative. You can find some info on that on youtube or google it. This year I started taking abt 1500 to 2000 iu's of vit D at start of flu season. If I'm able to get out in the sun, I cut back a little on the D that day. I do believe the whole "swine flu" epidemic was a big scam to make money for the pharmaceutical companies. It was way overblown and the numbers of cases and deaths globally did not support the "epidemic" claims.

I hope I didn't just jinx myself. haha I better not get the flu this year! They used to give the flu shot free at my workplace but it was always on my off day (Wednesday), so I always missed it. Never felt inclined to seek it out.
  • Murlin54
    Murlin54 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I never get one. You shouldn't ever be forced by someone else or by a company to make any specific medical decision. The flu shot only covers a certain number of strains anyways, and they are just hoping that it covers the new seasons variations of the flu. So, in my opinion, it is pointless. I think the big push to get everyone to vaccinate is majorly motivated by money!

I agree with you.
  • grobbygru
    grobbygru Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    NO WAY would I get one - and I'd be kicking that company to the kerb!!!!
  • M3CH4N1C
    Options
    I agree with jnissi and murlin. And this is exactly the point. People are slowly but surely accepting the fact that employers are violating they're rights. And what's scary about this is that soon it will be status quo and a social norm. Peer pressure, political pressure, employment pressure. Systematically they are taking away our rights and liberties, using every dirty trick in the book.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    If you work in medical field, you should get a flu shot or find other work.
    It's your responsible as a human being. My mom got infection from the hospital when she had to be hospitalized.
    I did not take flu shot before but since last year, I help babysit my nephews, I started to take flu shot.
    I would be feel so guilty if I make my little newphews sick so I just get the flu shot.
  • amy32lynn
    amy32lynn Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    i never get a flu shot...and i never get the flu....
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    . i don't think anyone should be forced to get the flu shot, but if you get the flu, they should be able to force you to stay home from work so as not to spread the germs.

Read my post above. The flu is contagious before symptoms present, so you could be spreading the virus before you knew that you had it.
    If you work in medical field, you should get a flu shot or find other work.

This.

I'm not suggesting that everyone get must get a shot, but if your job puts you in contact with children, the elderly, or other immunocompromised populations, then it's your responsibility.
  • M3CH4N1C
    Options
    I think that if people are afraid or paranoid or worried about catching the flu, then stay home. Don't go to school. Don't send your kids to school. You can home school them. If you want to get the flu shot to keep your job thats your choice, but it contributes to this system of zombie optimism. Being forced to get a flu shot no matter what job you have, whether it's a kindergarten teacher, a nurse, or an in-home health care worker is wrong. It's slowly becoming status quo and a social norm. I don't want my family to have to inherit a society with brain dead ideaology. There is still absolutely no evidence that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that these flu shots even work. Why should the population at large suffer systematically because a very small portion of the public, might get the flu. If your sick, be responsible and stay home. If you feel weak, as to your immune system, get healthier. Eat healthier. Live healthier. But quit trying to force on humanity the results of an irresponsible portion of society, that in which is apathetic at best. They're afflicting 97% of the population to supposedly help 3% of it's population. Your saying it's ok to force people to get a flu shot if they're in the medical profession. Wrong. It's not ok to even peer pressure these people. The reason being is next there will be another profession that should have the shot. Then another profession. Then these people should get the shot. Then those people should get the shot. Then everybody should get the shot. What should be is that people remain free like we were born to be. It's true Ron, that people are contagious before symptoms present themselves. But it's also true that a lot of people that buy into these ideas that vaccinations work as intended, live unhealthy lifestyles to begin with. This entails eating calories that are empty in nutrients, living in a way that lacks exercise, even thinking in ways that are unhealthy. Which all lead to a compromised immune system that complicates even a simple flu strain. Why should choices and decisions be forced on a groups of people that make healthy choices and choose to conduct themselves in a way that promotes a healthy immune system, in which can easily defend against simple flu strains, just because unhealthy people are setting themselves up for failure. Why should I be unrighteously afflicted because your apathetically addicted?
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    I’ve never taken the flu shot and never will. Over the past 11 years I’ve implemented changes to support a healthy immune system, taking Juice Plus+ was the first of many. You have no idea how much I want everyone in this world to feel the way I feel and to have confidence in their immune system. Merry Christmas everyone!
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I'm stronger than the flu.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    And I've killed more people.
  • kelseyt17
    kelseyt17 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    <---- has never had one, also has never had the flu. I think they're useless considering everyone i know who gets one always get the flu within that month.
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I feel a little sore after it, but feel good throughout flu season.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    It's the responsible thing to do.
    ^^^ This. I got mine a month ago and couldn't be happier. I think anyone with kids, that works in health care, law enforcement, or with the elderly should be Required to get one.